PDA

View Full Version : training 5 month lab

pnbrock
12-30-2009, 08:12 AM
was hoping to get some advise on training my lab for bird hunting .not being a bird hunter in past would definately like to start and hopefully my new buddy wants to aswell.thanks Pat

betteroffishing
12-30-2009, 08:43 AM
yeah , me too. i got one of zoes pups and shes a keener , thats for sure. as she {3 months old gwp} stalks through my garden and over old forgotten holes shes abandoned in search of a newer , better hole location occasionally she sees movement , be it a bunny , or a bug she immediately goes into point . shes birdy thats for sure. now retrieving might be a skill i have to teach her , but heres to hoping it comes as natural as pointing did.

Vital Shock
12-30-2009, 08:52 AM
There are some great 'bird dog', 'gun dog' dvds you can buy that will help you get going. I know the sooner you start the better. gundogsonline.com is a great website i used!! Good advise also it has links for you to buy a good instructional dvd. Labs are tons of fun and the best dogs a man could have. They need LOTS of care and consistent training. Good luck!

Angel
12-30-2009, 09:02 AM
theres a rule on this site when it comes to getting help with a puppy......pics please:mrgreen:

Kody94
12-30-2009, 09:12 AM
I am a fan of Richard Wolters books. Gun Dog and Water Dog were both very helpful when I was training my retriever.

Here's my buddy's first retrieve at 14 weeks. Not very good form, but I was pretty happy at how birdy he was. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/Staggerino/Kody/firstretrieve.jpg

pnbrock
12-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Sorry, I was unaware there was a rule on that. I hope these pictures can strike up some help. Don't be fooled by his cuteness - he's a terror !

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Tipsbrock/Charlie-3monthsold.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Tipsbrock/Charlie2.jpg

12-30-2009, 09:18 AM
See about hooking up with a club in your area.....usually a lot knowledge and experience there and people who don't mind teaching a newbie the ropes........

Angel
12-30-2009, 09:24 AM
There are a few lab owners and breeders on this site that could be a big help I am sure. Jimsue, Leadpill, kasmore and a few others..... take a quick browse through the hunting dog section. I know Dutchie is working on different trainings with his DK, so I would check with him as well.

farwest
12-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Sorry, I was unaware there was a rule on that. I hope these pictures can strike up some help. Don't be fooled by his cuteness - he's a terror !

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Tipsbrock/Charlie-3monthsold.jpg

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Tipsbrock/Charlie2.jpg

Now he is cute! Is he chewing on your best slipper !:mrgreen:

pnbrock
12-30-2009, 09:54 AM
he picks up everything there is nothing he wont put in his mouth .some thing never to be seen again.

pnbrock
12-30-2009, 10:26 AM
i wonder if any duck hunters in langley wouldnt mind giving up a duck or pair of wings would be greatelly appreciated

12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
ask at your local gun club, there should be some people there who help hunt train. just like obideance.
the dog will have a natural desire to find birds you just have to push it. If you can find someone with bird wings they can be alot of help as well.
i have some but on the 18th of next month my dad will need them for his new buddie.
big thing is consistancy, always do things the same way. and i know you may have figured this out your self but NEVER THROW STICKS FOR THEM
Next August take him in the bush with a friend and a shot gun. Get your buddie to fill his pockets with shells and walk 100yds down the road in sight. put your dog on a leash and tell your buddie to shoot one shot while you watch your dog. if he is not scared get your pal to walk to 75yds and repeat all the while watching your dog. Do not push him if he gets scared stop right away. My dog was fine with shooting right off the bat.
There are a bunch of different opinions on what is a good gun dog, This is why you should look for a trainer who will train you to train your dog. Read up and have fun if you put in the time they will pay you back every penny in the bush. When you take your friends out grouse hunting and your dog works well in front of someone who has never seen what they can do. Its the best. when your setting up your duck blind and the dog comes back from a pee with a duck in his mouth you know your in the game.

bopper
12-30-2009, 10:50 AM
I will be putting on a couple of gun dog training seminars in the Spring; if aanyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll keep you posted as to dates and locations.
Good luck with your pups!

12-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I will be putting on a couple of gun dog training seminars in the Spring; if aanyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll keep you posted as to dates and locations.
Good luck with your pups!

i know you said you'd keep posted but are you on the island? or just lml

pnbrock
12-30-2009, 12:00 PM
just a bump to refresh.

labguy
12-30-2009, 12:16 PM
was hoping to get some advise on training my lab for bird hunting .not being a bird hunter in past would definately like to start and hopefully my new buddy wants to aswell.thanks Pat

Go to the BC Retriever News website and there is a list of clubs in the lower mainland.

There are some excellent dog people with years of knowlege and experience that may or may not be willling to help........................depending on your attitude and interest level.:) There is no better way to learn something than from the best and some of these people are amoung the best retreiver trainers in Canada.

Internet advise doesn't cut it....you will need to have someone help you and your dog with hands on input to get the best results...........and to be able to see what a well trained retriever looks like............especially if you have very little experience.

If you need some help with finding good knowlegable retriever people in your area, PM me.

Bopper's seminar will be a great addition to your training knowlege.......good luck.
Regards, Brian

cariboocooper
12-30-2009, 12:17 PM
GREAT! all you new pup owners are asking the right questions! Pups need to have fun so don't pressure too much. Retreivers stay in puppy mode for a couple of years so don't expect perfect discipline and don't punish for exuberance! Good going guys (and gals).

Kasomor
12-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Labguys right :wink:, "you will need to have someone help you and your dog with hands on input to get the best results...........and to be able to see what a well trained retriever looks like............especially if you have very little experience."

In the meantime...Jim Dobbs has an online library of retriever training articles http://www.dobbsdogs.com/library/retrievers/index.html . It is not in order of training but in order that the articles were published but is a great online resource.

Mike Lardy's training sequence flow chart shows what your dog needs to know before moving on to the next step of training http://www.totalretriever.com/flowchart.htm

Good starter books for gundog trainers are anything by James Spencer. "Training Retrievers for Marshes and Meadows" is a good place to begin.

Dogs Afield will have most of the equipment you will need. http://www.dogsafield.com/

Great that Bopper is doing a couple of seminars in the new year.

Some may also be interested in these two workshops as well.

Evan Graham "Smartwork" Retriever Seminar
March 29-30-31 - April 1, 2010
Victoria
Location: VictoriaContact: Hope Roberts at hoperoberts@shaw.ca (hoperoberts@shaw.ca?subject=Evan Graham Seminar Enquiry (CanuckDogs.com)) or 250-474-2708Registration: Seminar Flyer & Registration Form (http://bc.canuckdogs.com/pdf/Smartwork-April10-Seminar.pdf)

4 day working camp. Limited to 15 handlers. Transition is the time after “Basics” and before you have a fully trained dog. This seminar will help you and your dog finesse your skills as you near the end of transition. This seminar will also lead into some advanced work for your fully trained retriever and work on problem areas as well. Handlers and dogs must be working at an intermediate ~ advanced level. Beginners and novice handlers are encouraged to come as spectators.
For more information email Hope Roberts at hoperoberts@shaw.ca (hoperoberts@shaw.ca?subject=Evan Graham Seminar Enquiry (CanuckDogs.com)) or phone 250-474-2708.

Anne Everett "Big Jump" Seminar
May 8 - 9, 2010
Aldergrove
Location:TNT Kennels (http://www.tntkennels.com/), Aldergrove, BCTime:9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (both days)Cost:see flyer for early bird and regular pricingContact:Christine Kobler (redgold@shaw.ca?subject=Anne Everett Seminar Enquiry (CanuckDogs.com)) 604-846-4840Information:Seminar Flyer (http://bc.canuckdogs.com/pdf/AEverett-May10-Seminar.pdf)Registration:Seminar Registration Form (http://bc.canuckdogs.com/pdf/AEverett-May10-SeminarReg.pdf)
The transition from Junior to Senior/Master hunter level work is a huge one for dogs and handlers alike. In order to make the "big jump" you and your dog must master a large number of new concepts.
The objective of this workshop is to assist you in putting together a training plan that will enable you and your dog to successfully take part in Senior and Master level tests. The plan includes a number of drills that will advance your dog’s handling and marking skills, as well as a program to improve your handling of your dog in training and at hunt tests. See the Seminar Flyer (http://bc.canuckdogs.com/pdf/AEverett-May10-Seminar.pdf) for more details.
For more information email Christine Kobler (redgold@shaw.ca?subject=Anne Everett Seminar Enquiry (CanuckDogs.com)).

I know Anne is planning more seminars at her place on the Island as well.

Good luck and have fun!

AND

Happy New Year!!!

Kasomor

Kasomor
12-30-2009, 01:04 PM
I'd suggest too, since it is duck season now that you freeze at least 16 hole birds and use those for training in the "off" season.

For the youngin's IMO it is important to use birds as much as you can in your training.

Cheers,
Kasomor

12-30-2009, 01:41 PM
thats why i call buffel heads "trainers"

Kasomor
12-30-2009, 02:30 PM
thats why i call buffel heads "trainers"

We call teal "puppy ducks."

I keep a variety of ducks for training but mostly mallards. You can breast them out and tape them back together with electrical tape for training with a more advanced dogs. I personally wouldn't do that with a dog that I'm just starting. Want them to retrieve the bird not think about eating it. :)

Cheers,
Kasomor

12-30-2009, 02:45 PM
just dont baste it in a'laronge sauce!

pnbrock
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
thanks for all the input got lots to go on seems i have a long journey toegether with my little buddy!

kinderdoggin
12-30-2009, 05:48 PM
A good DVD for puppy training is "Sound Beginnings" by Jackie Mertens. You can find it at most of the online gundog shops. It will help you with puppy obedience and retrieving skills.

Going to an actual obedience class is a good idea too as it will help your to learn to obey amongst distractions, and will give you motivation to practice daily obedience skills.

HailCall
12-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Smart works by Evan Graham is one of the bets training for a dog out there imo. Not for a puppy I will try to remeber the dvd that is really good but evan has smart works also smart fetch with this program your dog will be running 200 yard blinds be ff and cc when done and easily pass any junior test if ya follow the program,

Lots'oLabs
12-30-2009, 09:06 PM
A good DVD for puppy training is "Sound Beginnings" by Jackie Mertens. You can find it at most of the online gundog shops. It will help you with puppy obedience and retrieving skills.

Going to an actual obedience class is a good idea too as it will help your to learn to obey amongst distractions, and will give you motivation to practice daily obedience skills.

I agree totally with the Jackie Mertens DVD and Obedience classes.....
then get yourself to a seminar. You'll learn lots and meet like minded people:smile:

12-31-2009, 09:00 AM
thanks for all the input got lots to go on seems i have a long journey toegether with my little buddy!

Dont worry about it all, it's not like you HAVE TO do all this or you pooch will be an annoying little poop. The more you do the more you get.
Teaching a dog to be a great friend and pet is easy. Just have fun with it,
read up as much as you can and do your best.
The input you have here is from pro trainers who are right into their dogs.
some of these people can get their dogs to do amazing things and im sure it is by doing what they said.
Hell im gonna save this thread for my next read. Im just a hunter who likes to hunt birds there now you have the whole spectrum.

Evolution
01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
big thing is consistancy, always do things the same way. and i know you may have figured this out your self but NEVER THROW STICKS FOR THEM

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? I have been throwing sticks for Jenny, as well as tennis balls and Kongs, she loves bringing them back and seems to drop them right at my feet, is this a bad thing in terms of preparing her for birding? Shes 4.5 months now and I still havent taken her out hunting, should I be considering it soon, or do you think she is still too young?

I really dont know how or when to start training her, she is so smart Im sure that if I started sooner than later it would be better? Am I wrong?

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/jennyjan0410.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/jennyhouse.jpg

01-04-2010, 10:35 AM
the stick thing is that your dog will always find a stick and it will become annoying later on, trust me. I have throw dummies for Chase and when i play fetch with him that is what i use. When it is gone he wont find one in the bush.
I bought my dog in dec and started him hunting grouse and ducks the following season ( he's 5)
as for training ya start now! but dont press her go until she looses interest. When it gets too complicated for her and she starts to fail do a couple things she knows really well so she can finnish on a positive note.
ie if you are getting into more complicated fetch routiens stop with just throwing it and having her bring it back.
Try not to have her fail, do 3/4 stuff she knows and 1/4 new training Ish
i am not a professional trainer by any means, i have read a few books and trained a couple dogs and hunted all my life. What i ask my dog to do is be a friend and get me birds. You can take you dog as far as you want they will learn as much as you teach. It depends on what you want in her.
a pro field dog
a hunter
or a couch potatoe
just as long as you and your dog are doing what you want and she is obiediant and happy. That is all that has mattered to me in a nut shell

Lots'oLabs
01-04-2010, 08:40 PM
There is a very good pro trainer in your neighbourhood.
Heads Up Dog Training. Her name is Anne Everett and she lives at the end Of Nurmi Rd. www.headsupdogtraining.com (http://www.headsupdogtraining.com)
She would be a great help to you. I'm not sure if she is giving group classes or privates but she is well worth the phone call.
Nice puppy!
Good Luck!

Lots'oLabs
01-04-2010, 08:47 PM
There is a very good pro trainer in your neighbourhood.
Heads Up Dog Training. Her name is Anne Everett and she lives at the end Of Nurmi Rd. www.headsupdogtraining.com (http://www.headsupdogtraining.com)
She would be a great help to you. I'm not sure if she is giving group classes or privates but she is well worth the phone call.
Nice puppy!
Good Luck!

Sorry,
I should have been clearer. This info was meant for Evolution as he lives in Merriville.

01-05-2010, 08:37 AM
evolution,
love your dog!

huntinnewbie
01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
My 8 year old black lab has always been a tennis ball junkie. She has one goal in life, well actually 2, she must find things and must retreive things.
She is an awesome duck dog and we didn't get back into hunting until she was 5 years old!
It doesn't matter where that duck lands, how cold it is, or how deep in the blackberry brambles it is buried, she will find and bring it back. Even if it means a little less skin on her nose, those blackberries are wicked down here. Especially the ones that grow over and down into the local sleughs.
We had a nice green head land on the opposite side of the sleugh and disappear in the blackberry brambles. She had to run up the side of the sleugh to an old otter slide to get into the water. swim downstream to where the duck had gone in the brambles. I don't know how she got up the bank and into the brambles and once there we couldn't even see her. She looked for a long time until we finally called her off. When we were finished for the day, a couple of hours later, and were gathering up the decoys, she suddenly had the urge to go back on her own. My husband was going to call her back and I said leave her, maybe she wants one more swim before we go home. As we are walking back to the truck who should show up behing us with a big green head in her mouth! She knew that duck was still there and wouldn't give up.
Her reward was her favorite thing and she got to chase the ball a few times before we left.
She has had no special training and maybe we are just lucky that we got such a good dog.
Did I mention she also likes to point, yes I am a proud Mom!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/debbienight/murphypoint.jpg

kinderdoggin
01-05-2010, 11:19 AM
Shes 4.5 months now and I still havent taken her out hunting, should I be considering it soon, or do you think she is still too young?

I really dont know how or when to start training her, she is so smart Im sure that if I started sooner than later it would be better? Am I wrong?

Don't take her hunting, even as a sidekick, until she has been properly and gradually introduced to gunfire. You don't want her first experience hunting to include the BOOM of a shotgun right over her head. That's how a lot of dogs end up gun shy and it's easily prevented by taking a little time to get your pup used to loud noises in a familiar environment, at a distance.

But DO start training her - start with obedience and getting her excited about retrieving. You can certainly introduce her to retrieving dead birds, if you have access to some, or even tape some duck or grouse wings to a bumper once she is retrieving well to get her used to the 'feel' of a bird. Then sign up for one of Bopper's seminars in the spring and you will get a good step by step instruction on how to advance from there :)

Puppies are very smart and willing to learn new things. Even if she is a little too young for very advanced work, teach her lots of 'silly dog tricks' - this will help her learn how to learn, and will make all future lessons easier for you and her.

Good looking pup by the way!
~Erin

Jonny outdoors
01-17-2010, 09:38 PM
I would be interested my lab is 4 now she has had a litter two years ago and although she still goes and gets the ducks she is definitely lacking motivation.I have tried giving her extra praise but she still needs lots of coaxing to retrive.
any sugestions?

Busterbrown
01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
A four year old Lab that lacks motivation to retrieve is a problem. I would suggest the dog has not been force trained . A dog that refuses to retrieve would need to be forced to command using presssure ie ear pinch or collar. If it was my dog I would decide how important retrieving birds is to you. If it is important, have the dog forced by a pro and he or she could determine if you have anything

dukester
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM

try to find a book called "training retriever for meadows and marshes" 1st would be its name , sit come, stay, call its name then blow a whistle, now you have a whistle trained dog by its name, saves your voice when you want your dog to come to you. Always reward your dog ..

Dutch Ppoacher
01-20-2010, 08:31 PM
[quote=SSSSter;590120]I am a fan of Richard Wolters books. Gun Dog and Water Dog were both very helpful when I was training my retriever.

I get my pup on Friday, and in preparation i have just finished reading "Water Dog" good read and easy to follow. now i hope the practical part goes as easy!

i would also recommend it, water dod for the duck/geese guys, and gun hunter for the upland bird guys

Dutch

Angus
01-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Bill Tarrant's, "Hey Pup, Fetch it Up" is a great read as well.

Lots'oLabs
01-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Retriever Training for the Duck Hunter by Robert Milner.
Really good book, easy to read, easy to understand. Also has all the basic steps through force fetch.

Piledriver
01-29-2010, 09:08 PM

How's it going so far with that Pup? We just "adopted" (for full price!) a little fella 7 months old. He's doing quite well so far! I havn't had a dog to train for a long, long time and have gotten some great advice from a experienced hunting buddy who's dogs we've used and enjoyed for years.
Many open fields on your side of the river for training? If I could figure out how to upload a photo of "Gunner" to my profile I would!