PDA

View Full Version : Finally de-flowered my 22-250

Vanman1985
12-29-2009, 10:50 PM
My wife and I were out at my in-laws place for Christmas this year, and my brother in-law and I managed to sneak out before dinner. I popped this coyote just over 500 yards gps'd. It was a bit of a pot shot, but like they say, sometimes you've got to be lucky to be good!:mrgreen: Anyways the gun has dispatched cows and gophers, but it's finally taken it's intended query.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/Justin_vaniterson/Picture247.jpg?t=1262152043

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/Justin_vaniterson/Picture251.jpg?t=1262152087

On a side note; On it's back left leg it had chewed off a bunch of hair, and on it's belly it had a rusty colour. Could this be mange or is it normal???

Will
12-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Nice shot ! Congrats :-D

Vanman1985
12-29-2009, 11:19 PM
I really didn't think I hit it but my brother in-law said he saw it drop! Not a shot I would have taken on any big game animal, but I figured why not. :-D When you start holding a foot or so over an animal there's a bit of guess work involved.

Chuck
12-29-2009, 11:33 PM
I'd handler it with care anyway, just in case it might be infected or diseased.

No sense in bringing an unwanted guest home for sure - especially if you got dogs.

Vanman1985
12-29-2009, 11:40 PM
I'd handler it with care anyway, just in case it might be infected or diseased.

No sense in bringing an unwanted guest home for sure - especially if you got dogs.

I left it there for bait. It's too bad, I think other than the leg, it looked pretty good. Hopefully the next one will be worth skinning out.

Caveman
12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Nice Shooting Justin!!

rifleman
12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
nice shot.

Vanman1985
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Nice Shooting Justin!!

I originally thought it was a bit further, but I think it was still a good poke!:-D

Caveman
12-30-2009, 07:04 PM
I originally thought it was a bit further, but I think it was still a good poke!:-D

I saw your facebook post. Funny how deceiving it can be when you start to really reach out there. Still, 500 yds is way out there for the average Joe!
Obviosly a bi-pod or some other solid rest I assume. Even prone and relaxed that is a shot that will be missed more that hit if you don't practise it.

Pete
12-30-2009, 09:28 PM
How big of a dog?

Vanman1985
12-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I saw your facebook post. Funny how deceiving it can be when you start to really reach out there. Still, 500 yds is way out there for the average Joe!
Obviosly a bi-pod or some other solid rest I assume. Even prone and relaxed that is a shot that will be missed more that hit if you don't practise it.

You know thats the best part of this story, I had taken the bi-pod off the last time I had taken the gun out to shoot a cow. So I said to Dylan "come here and plug you ears." You should have seen the look on his face! When Andrea came out to bring us the camera, we had a good laugh and took a second to "pose" so Dylan could have a picture to remember! And you know, he took it pretty well, all he said was "Holly Sh*t, theres a pretty big flame that comes out!"

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/Justin_vaniterson/Picture254.jpg?t=1262234997

Pete - The coyote was small to average size, she was a female. There have been a few hanging around, and one big one that I'm going to take the foxpro out and try and get!

Pete
12-30-2009, 10:32 PM
After I skin Coyotes out I keep records of how big they are from the bottom of the brisket to the top of the back Of the 42 that I have taken this year and using calipers for exact measurement, I have found the largest to date was a Female Coyote that measured exactly 17 cm from the top of the back to the bottom of the brisket. The smallest was a juv. male at 15.8 cm. The average falls in the 16.4 -16.8 cm. range. I got a scale for Christmas and since have started weighing the coyotes as well. Since Christmas morning I have taken 6 coyotes. To date the largest was that 17cm (7in) female that came in at a whopping 26 lbs. On average if a person is shooting at a coyote you are shooting at a 16.4 - 17cm circle Roughly 6 3/8 - 7 in. circle. I will keep records for the rest of the season and publish the results on the site in April.

Vanman1985
12-30-2009, 11:34 PM
On average if a person is shooting at a coyote you are shooting at a 16.4 - 17cm circle Roughly 6 3/8 - 7 in. circle.

Thats interesting. Have you run into many with patches of fur missing??? I would like to get one tanned to drape over my gun safe, but I was kind of being picky. If it's common, next time I'll keep it. It was a patch about 3x3 inches right down to the skin. I looked through the rest of my pictures and none of them show it well.

Pete
12-31-2009, 07:08 AM
If you look at the belly of a coyote and it is light pink to rust colored in the groin area it has Sarcoptic Manage. Another indicator is missing patches of fur usually right down to the skin. These missing patches will have a grey look to them and often will have open sores where the coyote is literally chewing on itself. Do not handle without gloves on. you can pass it on to your pets or even to yourself. It is important to remove these coyotes from the system as they will pass it on to every other coyote they come in contact with. As well these hides have no comercial value. Even though the backs may look good the most important part of a coyote is its belly. I leave mine in the field for the birds to scavange

Caveman
12-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Dad and I were in the East K in '88 on a elk draw and I watched him take a coyote with his Husky 270, and as you know he doesn't use a scope, just the elevated peep sight. I watched through the binos and almost could count to three before the dog flopped over. I paced it out, to the dog, at 631 strides. Never seen anything like it, and it is still vivid in my mind today, so much so I bet i could take you to that exact spot.

islandhunter
12-31-2009, 09:36 AM
Nice shootin!! what kind of gun??? bullet???

Caveman
12-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Nice shootin!! what kind of gun??? bullet???

Old Husqvarna 270, sport stock, not a featherweight, peep sight, and knowing my Dad likely Winchester rounds, grain around 130 I'd guess. He is the kind of guy that a box of shells would last him several years. Never practise, shells carried loose in his jeans. If shot a few off he would go to the Powder Keg and buy a few out of the barrel they use to have. At the end of the season the bolt would end up in his sock drawer and the shells in his underwear draw and the gun leaning in the corner of his closet. Superstitious to the point that his old sling broke and he put a piece of green wire on it to hold it together, he shot a moose that year so the wire had to stay. I have never seen him clean this gun in the 30 years I can recall hunting with him.