PDA

View Full Version : bear baiting ???

sealevel
02-08-2006, 09:15 AM
No baiting bears in bc in know this. Is using sent baiting like a candle made with wax and bacon greece is this baiting. I have my opionon whats yours.

bigwhiteys
02-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Sealevel,

Yes I would categorize this as baiting and I am sure a CO would too...

That Bacon grease may as well be a pile of fresh bacon laying on the ground as it will all smell the same to the bear would it not?

Now if you were to just going to smear yourself with the grease I wouldn't call it baiting anymore.

It would be called Stupidity!

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Barracuda
02-08-2006, 10:22 AM
That is funny as hell :lol: Bacon flavoured candles , perhaps you could different flavours roast beef , chicken etc

huntwriter
02-08-2006, 10:32 AM
As far I know from reading the regs I think that would be concidered baiting. But then again the regulations always get me confused. It's perhaps the most convoluted regulation manual I have ever read in all my years and different places I hunted. I would say if in doubt do not use scent as it could be construed as baiting by some.

Barracuda
02-08-2006, 10:50 AM
I wonder if useing doe in heat urine would be considered baiting?

bigwhiteys
02-08-2006, 11:10 AM
Good Question Barracuda,

You'd think it should but I think predators just become to easy to hunt when bait is involved as they are totally 100% un-immune to the smell of fresh dinner. If the candle was wax and bacon grease it's most definitely edible.

This year we tried out deer "incense" sticks.... What a waste of time that was we set a bunch out and came back several hours later and there was a whack of moose eating in our patch????

Happy Hunting!
Carl

PGKris
02-08-2006, 11:43 AM
That I would definitely consider baiting because back east (where it's legal to bait) they use a can of honey or maple syrup with a fire lit underneath it to bait bears. As for deer/moose/elk, they are legal to bait with whatever you want. (To my knowledge. I don't do it. I know salt is legal)
KRIS

Fido
02-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Now would it be baiting if future son-inlaw holds the salmon when we are out hunting bears?

huntwriter
02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
I think a scent lure, such as doe in heat, is okay because it is a lure (attractant). While food, or food based scent, is bait. In fishing it is the same. Bait is food, a lure is somthing artificial like a spinner, spoon or fly.

But like I said earlier I am confused by all the if, but, when in the regulations. As far I am concerned baiting bears should be permiitted. I have hunted over bait and it is nothing like shooting fish in a barrel as some might think. We hunted over several bait stations for over a week and never got a shot at any bear. Many bears came to the bait but only smaller ones which where not legal to kill.

NEEHAMA
02-08-2006, 12:13 PM
i like to cook my breakfast in the middle of a logging slash. pancakes bacon and smoke salmon...lol

huntwriter
02-08-2006, 12:17 PM
Now would it be baiting if future son-inlaw holds the salmon when we are out hunting bears?
You could say he carried the fish and the bear tried to steal it from him and thus you had to shot him, the bear I mean not the sone-in-law.;) But the question is; Would he do it! Or is he more afraid of you than the bear.:-D

johnes50
02-08-2006, 12:18 PM
I've read that liguid anise attracts bears. Never tried it myself though. I know they like marshmellows too. They ate all mine once.

Onesock
02-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Someone mentioned doe in heat. It is legal in BC to bait for deer so this is not an issue. However I don't think there is anything wrong with using bear in heat, if there is such a thing. A CO would be your best bet. Someone should ask this question of the powers to be.

huntwriter
02-08-2006, 12:27 PM
I've read that liguid anise attracts bears. Never tried it myself though. I know they like marshmellows too. They ate all mine once.

Anise and vanilla attract all game and yes it does work. All commercial scent lures are made up with both or either of them plus lots of water and a few drops of deer urin. I make my own deer attractant lure for many years with anise, vanilla and peanut butter. If I want a spray on scent I leave the peanut butter out. Had lots of success with that stuff more so than with the commercial stuff.

Gateholio
02-08-2006, 02:37 PM
Anise and vanilla attract all game and yes it does work. All commercial scent lures are made up with both or either of them plus lots of water and a few drops of deer urin. I make my own deer attractant lure for many years with anise, vanilla and peanut butter. If I want a spray on scent I leave the peanut butter out. Had lots of success with that stuff more so than with the commercial stuff.

You shoudl share your recipe for the aspiring scent mixers!:-D

Offroad
02-08-2006, 02:56 PM
Yes there is sow in heat lure. Yes it is legal as it is only an attractant and not actual food. No it doesn't work very good.

Onesock
02-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I have heard of guys pouring hot bacon grease over a roll of toilet paper and lighting this. Iwas told it was only a scent attractant but don't really know for sure.

Barracuda
02-08-2006, 05:50 PM
check out the definition of bait? (page 3 in the defintitions)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/documents/hunting_regulations.pdf

and look at note 6 on page 16 .

what do you guys come up with????

Kirby
02-08-2006, 06:34 PM
By reading the definition, I would say anything used to attract an animal, food, burning food, sow in heat urine, plastic waffers would all be considered bait.

Kirby

Dano
02-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Years ago I was hunting grouse up behind Parksville (Englishman River) and I stumbled upon a pile of salmon heads and tails spread out all over. My first thought was, "why would someone throw these away up here, what a slob!"
Then it came to me, Holly crap! I left the way I came in and boy was my head on a swivel!
My advise for bears is there are enough around most area of B.C. and you just need to get out and glass the logged off places. No need for bait or scent.
Dan
P.S. I've never hunted bears seriously but have seen many when deer hunting and lined a few up in the sights but never filled a tag.

ratherbefishin
02-08-2006, 06:56 PM
I suppose if you came back on a gut pile and shot a bear that might be considered baiting, but proving it would be dificult.Actually, I don't think baiting is necccesary, hunt the greened up road sides, powerlines , sidehills in the spring and berry patches in the fall and you;ll see bear.Just remember the rule-don't even look anywhere downhill

Marc
02-08-2006, 07:05 PM
I shot a bear last fall that was standing over another bear it was feeding on. I didn't know this at the time when I shot it and only noticed the other bear burried next to it when I went up to gut him. I even opened up my big mouth and told the CO that was checking our camp about it without realizing what I had did. They never blinked an eye over it. I could have gotten myself into some major trouble if the CO's had been in a bad mood. Look to your left of my legs in the picture, you'll notice the second bear burried in leaves and dirt.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3marc_with_two_bear.jpg

Marc.

boxhitch
02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
behind Parksville (Englishman River) and I stumbled upon a pile of salmon heads and tails spread out all over. My first thought was, "why would someone throw these away up here, what a slob!"
Then it came to me, Holly crap
Makes a great cover scent for what is really growing on! And a bonus... who needs watch dogs if the area is crawling with black furry things with bad breath, two legs or four ??

Ricky
02-08-2006, 07:42 PM
How big was that bear? How do you measure, feet to head?

lip_ripper00
02-08-2006, 07:53 PM
Makes a great cover scent for what is really growing on! And a bonus... who needs watch dogs if the area is crawling with black furry things with bad breath, two legs or four ??
good point, in Surrey they use skunks:wink:

Marc
02-08-2006, 07:58 PM
you measure a bear from nose to tail. that one probably would have gone 5 1/2 feet. Never measured him just wanted the meat and left the hide in the woods.

Here is another picture to give you an idea of his size. We figured he would tip the scales at 225-250 live weight. He's a good eating bear.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/3marc_s_bear.jpg

huntwriter
02-08-2006, 09:28 PM
You shoudl share your recipe for the aspiring scent mixers!:-D

Dang, Gatehouse. Here I thought that maybe one day I will bring out my own brand of deer lure and get very rich with it.:lol:

It's very easy to do and what I like most about it, it's cheap.

Mix 2 ounces oil of anise with 1 ounce of vanilla and add 1 Tblsp. peanut butter. Mix it well and then fill it into a 35mm film canister. Dab the stuff liberally on a piece of old towel about four feet of the gound. You also can dab the lure onto tree trunks and such. The peanut butter makes it almost water proof.

If I want the spray for a drag rag scent trail or to permmeate the air (air scent trail) I leave the peanut butter out and fill the scent into a fine mist spray bottle from the dollar store.

Vanilla and anies can be found in every grocery store in the baking section.

So there you have it let me know or it works for you too.:smile:

huntwriter
02-08-2006, 09:30 PM
nice bear Marc. Makes me itchy to get out but not this spring, not for bear.:cry:

rock
02-08-2006, 09:44 PM
check out the definition of bait? (page 3 in the defintitions)
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/wild/documents/hunting_regulations.pdf

and look at note 6 on page 16 .

what do you guys come up with????
According to the definition cultivated crops,:shock: ;) thats a really fine line.
This year where hopefully hunting a few farms with qoute crops where all the game hang around.;)

Elkhound
02-09-2006, 12:52 PM
Bait - means anything, including meat,
cereals, cultivated crops, restrained animal
or any manufactured product or material,
that may attract wildlife and includes plastic
or other imitation foods, but does not
include a decoy as described under these
regulations.

The way it could be taken is scents, like scent sticks or sow in heat lure and even hand calls would be illegal. Are they not a manufactured product or material that can attract wildlife?
Scents are manufactured to attract wildlife
Calls are manufactured products that are used to attract wildlife. Where do we draw the line? This is confusing for me. Anyone?

sealevel
02-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I allways had an idea that as long as there was nothing to eat you could use it . But what i get from the reg.anything used to attract the bear is illigal even a call.

Elkhound
02-09-2006, 01:57 PM
I allways had an idea that as long as there was nothing to eat you could use it . But what i get from the reg.anything used to attract the bear is illigal even a call.

Thats what I am reading in to it.

BlacktailStalker
02-09-2006, 03:13 PM
You're allowed to use a call for bears. Shockey used one in one of his videos to get it to turn broadside here on the Island.

Elkhound
02-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Yes but by definition, a call is a manufactured product that is used to attract wildlife.......see what I mean:???:

ruger#1
02-09-2006, 03:33 PM
i used to make bear feed for the Washington forest protection association in 50lb bags . it was used to keep the bears away from the saplings. the ingredients are , animal by-product meal, ground plant by-products, cane molasses, dried dextrose, flavors, salt, magnesium sulfate,vitamin and mineral premix. it also had some anise in it, it worked good . a bag of cob, corn oats and barley with molasses works good to.

Offroad
02-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Try talking to a c/o if you have doubts about the legality of something. What I was told when I asked was that it meant something that represented food. I was told that calls 'not electronic' and sow in heat urine were fine to use. Someone else talk to thier c/o and see what they say. Then post it up it would be interesting to see if their views on this subject are the same.

Fred
02-10-2006, 10:10 PM
Just don't ask the CO who said that the only difference between Crows and Ravens was the width of the wings! :biggrin: Fred

Gateholio
02-10-2006, 11:36 PM
The topic of scented burnign sticks for bears was discussed some time ago, on some forum....

The CO's contacted at the time responded that it was considered bait, and therefore illegal.

Why you woudl want to bait bears in BC is beyond me. We have tons of great bear hunting, and spot and stalk hunting, where you get to move a bit and see some new terrain is far more satisfying, IMHO.

Barracuda
02-11-2006, 12:29 AM
we do have a number of bears here , considering that you can spot&stalk ,have a hound race ,call them in or do what most folks seem to do and drive around till they spot one, walk up to it(or should i say stalk) and shoot it. You have a number of legal options available .

If you really want to see bears feeding find a nice berry patch or a stream and just watch them . Or if you want to watch bears at their worst visit one of the rural dumps :-?

huntwriter
02-11-2006, 01:07 AM
Or if you want to watch bears at their worst visit one of the rural dumps :-?

Wouldn't that be hunting over bait.:grin:

Barracuda
02-11-2006, 01:28 AM
I just meant to watch them lol!
My wife and i were up by Exiter mill several years ago and i asked her if she had ever seen a bear, She said no so i said i will take her to see one . We promptly drove over to the dump in the middle of the afternoon and I showed her the majestic black bear that was sitting on a pile of garbage busy eating a diaper:eek:

kishman
02-11-2006, 03:51 AM
sounds about right,:oops:

sealevel
02-11-2006, 07:47 AM
You are right gatehouse with all the bears in bc way would you bait. And why do you persume from my post that i wanted to it was a ??? . But it could be in the fall to get them to come out of the tall grass and the corn fields into arrow range.

Offroad
02-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Gatehouse I wasn't talking about burning sticks, rather just a bottle of sow in heat urine, just like doe in heat. I was wondering after reading what others had posted about the regs if it was legal, same as with using a predator call. The c/o I spoke to when I first started calling for bears said that calling was legal as long as you used mouth calls. I wasn't talking about baiting bears,rather lets see what the interpation of regs are as far as using calls. I don't know where you got the idea that the intent was baiting bears. If it was a couple boxes Tim hortons day olds and I would be in business. I have used calls to get bears to come across valleys to me it just a tool to be used. If it isn't correct to use one then I won't, but I was under the impression that calls were fine.

abbyfireguy
02-11-2006, 03:22 PM
I usually see 3 or 4 bears every day when out hunting...I guess its all the gas from the typical camp food..Hope they don't class that as an attractant or we'd all have to use corks in certain unmentionable places.:grin:
Seriously though, I would be able to take lots of bears if so inclined as they are always abundant wherever I hunt....
That has made me even more vigilent now with my 13 yr old son hunting with me now...