PDA

View Full Version : First day I actually took a duck

mildcustom2
12-29-2009, 01:31 PM
I made a trip to the Ladner Marsh with Theo722 yesterday. Who by the way is one heck of a good guy to hunt with. Set the robo duck up in the weeds in the water and spread out 10 decoys around it. Wasnt necessarily the best day to be out hunting but several ducks did manage to make there way into our decoys. One of these ducks was a small widgeon that decide to land amongst the decoys wich I kindly showed was a mistake. My first duck ever.

The next one conviently was wounded and couldnt fly and I immediately started to pursue it across the bay in 3 feet of water. Shot after shot at the duck continuely missed despite seeing the shot land all around the duck. I chased that little bugger 750 metres atleast into the bay in 3 feet of water before I finally managed to make a shot connect and he stopped dead. I then turned around and proceeded back to shore were Theo722 told me that is probably one of the most dedicated retrieves he had ever seen or heard of.

What can I say? Once I shoot it I have an ethical obligation to finish it and retrieve it. And once I got that far out I was not looking back. I wanted that duck.

All in all it was a great day hunting and was really cool to see Theo get a Snow goose wich decided to fly within 30 yds of us.

Thanx for a great day hunting.

Chessieguy
12-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Congrats on the first duck...That is a memory that will last a lifetime!!!

shadow1982
12-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Congrats on your first harvest, mine was a canadian geese i shot it with a #2 expert still remember it like it was yesterday. Good luck and happy hunting it only gets better.

Elkhound
12-29-2009, 04:01 PM
been getting out for ducks a few times this year too....I am now hooked

MichelD
12-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Congratulations.

My first duck was a bufflehead. Then an eagle stole it before I could row over to it. I damn near shot the eagle.