PDA

View Full Version : Best pants

Shooter
12-29-2009, 11:09 AM
So I know there are many threads about this sort of thing and I have searched many of them but they seem to be asking about a certain brand. I am just asking for your personal preference of all brands on a set of hunting hiking pants. I want them to be BREATHABLE LIGHT WEIGHT. (I will layer under them if I need the warmth)QUIET, WATERPROOF. If I was to sacrifice on one aspect I guess it would be waterproof. Although they would NEED to be fairly water resistant to a point.

I was thinking about the Sitka pants but I don't think that they are waterproof? I was also thinking about RiversWest but I hear they don't breath well? Browning tend to be a little noisier.... I hate the Remington ones I have and don't wear them. Does anyone have any experience with any of the Cabelas line?

I also got a bunch of UnderArmour gear for christmas. No outer wear but I am quite impressed with the quality. Does anyone have any experience with their outer layers?

Open for suggestions.

bigwhiteys
12-29-2009, 11:34 AM
For me I like to wear Northface Convertibles. Durable, Light, Lots of pockets and they dry incredibly fast.

They work pretty good for me while chasing sheep... And they also come with a lifetime warranty that not too many people know about.

Roughly $100 a pair.

Carl

12-29-2009, 12:41 PM
browning.
they are noisy but they are dry and breath.
if you are going to sit in a blind rivers west are the best because they are hot.
i have rivers west and love them for sitting and late season. But i ame going to buy browning as well for next year for the early season.
i dont know that any one pant will take you from sept-dec. on our lovely island it is to wet and steep.

eastkoot
12-29-2009, 12:49 PM
Huggies....

12-29-2009, 12:51 PM
never thought of that......
now you dont have to worry about the noise of your fly opening...
just leter rip

mikek blacktail
12-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Huggies....

very nice,lmao...

bruin
12-29-2009, 01:14 PM
For me I like to wear Northface Convertibles. Durable, Light, Lots of pockets and they dry incredibly fast.

They work pretty good for me while chasing sheep... And they also come with a lifetime warranty that not too many people know about.

Roughly $100 a pair.

Carl
X2.......................

cainer
12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
now you dont have to worry about the noise of your fly opening...

:mrgreen: now that's funny

The Hermit
12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
I tried a set of the Cabela's lightweight packable rain gear... I really liked them BUT they are not tough enough. I managed to put three tears in the pants in one day of tough going! Pissed me off.

Roots
12-29-2009, 02:41 PM

Roughly $100 a pair.

Carl

X3... big time...

Chuck
12-29-2009, 03:25 PM
Huggies....

And a hot water bottle, ya that's for REALLY OLD hunters. Good gawd time goes fast!!!

waistdeep
12-29-2009, 07:54 PM
a good pair of wool pants will take you through any trip with warmth and comfort

Everett
12-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Microtex from Cabelas and they are currently on sale for $19.99usd

wolverine
12-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Best pants I ever had was a couple pair of German Army surplus wool pants that I bought from an ad in BC Outdoors magazine back in the 80's. Wish I could find that place again.

3006pg
12-29-2009, 11:57 PM
nothing beats a good pair of wranglers

todbartell
12-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Sitka 90% pant fits your needs well I think. Not sure if they fit your budget. I only got to wear mine once this fall while hunting, but they were very comfortable.

Shooter
12-30-2009, 12:05 AM
I just found a pair of Sitka 90% pants on for about 60% off so I ordered them up and will give them a try. At that price it brings them down in line with anything else I will probably buy so I figure they are worth a try. They are not 100% waterproof but are "water repellant" :confused: so we will see how that works down here on the rock.

Buck
12-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Microtex from Cabelas and they are currently on sale for $19.99usd

Very good pants dry real fast.

5 spike
12-30-2009, 08:02 AM
woolies were all we used to wear. dont see many hunters wearing them anymore. i think i might just grab me a pair.

Shooter
12-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Woolies are awesome for a little later. I wanted something a little lighter for the warmer days.

blindguy
12-30-2009, 09:53 AM
How are the woolies in the pooring rain on the rock?i know there great for the mainland.

jrjonesy
12-30-2009, 09:58 AM
I have a pair of Browning Gortex rain paints with the "microfleece" (for lack of a better word) covering that are light and kept me dry for a solid 4 years. I just noticed this year that they've lost their water proofness. They weren't particularly warm but breathed well and were quiet.

I just bought Rivers West Outlaw this year...they are guaranteed waterproof for 10 years (I believe) but they do not breath and vents don't let out sufficient air. A good pant for sitting but not if you're doing any sort of significant walking.

Sitkaspruce
12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Shooter

Good luck with the Sitka.

I have a pair of cheap Cabala's Dry Plus pants that are pretty quite, are dry except in a a downpour and come in CAMO:mrgreen:. To make them even better, I spray them down with scotchguard and I have a good pair of Gaiters for my lower legs. Seems to work for 90% of the time.

As for Riverwest stuff, I swear by it, but I have to ask others here who say that it does not breath, what type of hunting do you do that has you sweating so hard that you are getting wet on the inside of your legs?? I am usually still hunting or sitting and glassing, so I have not experienced the sweating and getting wet that others seem to think. Just curious as to how you work up a sweat, especially on the light LAW or AFP stuff?? The original stuff, I can possibly see.

Cheers

SS

Shooter
12-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't know about the RW gear but I know the cheapo walmart remingtons set of pants I had last year used to make me sweat damn near standing still. After a brief walk down an old road (not even timber) I was completely soaked in the legs. A very uncomfortable experience. I found that I was sweating less wearing my quilted bibs on a hot day than I did with the unlined remingtons on a cold day. And the remingtons were a cold clammy kind of sweating. That kind of made me shy away from the RW gear a bit when I heard people complaining of them not breathing well.

Devilbear
12-30-2009, 11:43 AM
There is one pant that WILL work from Sept.-Dec., is quiet, very water resistant, comfortable and will outwear damm near anything. I have two pair of these and have worn them in comfort in every month of the year, they are THE ONE pant that I would choose in I could only have one...and I have all that other stuff, RW, GT and on and on.

These are about "perfect" for hunting and have only ONE drawback, they are VERY costly. The pants I refer to are Filson's Whipcords and I wish I had started wearing these 40 years ago, they are that good.

Reliable stocks some Filson's and special ordered mine and gives a good price, but, be prepared for "sticker shock".....still, many guys wear these for 15-20 seasons, so, I think they are worth it.

Dutch
01-01-2010, 12:55 PM
Cabelas dry plus, breathes and keeps you dry plus has an insert for cold weather which works great if you're just sitting.They are expensive but found them in the bargain bin for 120.00 regular 190.00.They are quiet as they are soft fit me well and I'm 6 5".Oh the final thing they are econano :confused: environmentally friendly and oil and dirt repellant lol

todbartell
01-01-2010, 01:07 PM
Filson's Whipcords and I wish I had started wearing these 40 years ago, they are that good.

those dont look very cool

Buck
01-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah they don't look very cool .Probably look good on an old curmudgeon:mrgreen:

BCRiverBoater
01-08-2010, 05:15 AM
See my post under rain gear. SWAZI all the way for pants.