PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 hour after sunset

yamadirt 426
12-28-2009, 04:10 PM
So from what I understand legal shooting for migratory game birds 1/2 hour after sunset. My sister calls me from westham island and they are shooting birds (snows) up till 5:30 yesterday when sunset is 4:20. I don't think they would be shooting at nothing but you never know. Am I missing something here? :confused:

Ozone
12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Well I guess you could call the COs of just warn her about her ilegal activity.

yamadirt 426
12-28-2009, 04:31 PM
No, she is not a hunter. She just chose to live on a island built on water fowl hunting, fishing and farming. lol And yes she has called rapp. I guess this is just a heads up to the guys doing it if your on here. Its a tight knit local community on the island. I'm sure its justified in their minds. Good luck !

FLHTCUI
12-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Well I have heard of one young lad who works on the Island that has shot 140 Snow Geese and 96 Mallards...
This is his first year with a licesence from my source.
It could be locals or it could be poachers...
Sooner or later the CO's will move from East Delta/Ladner and make thier way over to WI.
Watch your clocks boys and girls.
Rob

Gunner
12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
The COs have night vision gear so there's no place to hide for after hours shooters.Hope they get them,a lot of birds are lost shooting in the dark. Gunner

BiG Boar
12-28-2009, 05:14 PM
A lot of hunters dont know about the half hour difference for migratory birds. However they would have to be shooting in pitch black at that time.

Secondly would it be wrong to shoot 140 snow geese if you gave them all away? I mean you wouldn't be in possesion of them any more. Obviously not all in the same day. But if each day you shot your limit and them gave them away, would that be legal?

Steeleco
12-28-2009, 05:30 PM
Legal maybe, Ethical, Not one bit!!!

Crazy_Farmer
12-28-2009, 05:45 PM
Legal maybe, Ethical, Not one bit!!!

On spring snow goose migrations through the mid-states thousands of geese are shot and a ton of meat is given to food-banks to feed the poor. That really sounds un-ethical to me :roll: Do you know the details of what he's doing with the meat? I sure dont but I'm not about to throw the guy under the bus so quickly.

Steeleco
12-28-2009, 05:47 PM
That's on an organized hunt, not one person feeding his buddies. The two are a weeeee bit different. :wink:

Crazy_Farmer
12-28-2009, 05:52 PM
That's on an organized hunt, not one person feeding his buddies. The two are a weeeee bit different. :wink:

But do you know thats what he's doing? I'll shut up very quickly if you actually know. :mrgreen:

f350ps
12-28-2009, 05:58 PM
There's not one thing wrong with shooting 140 snows, that's only 14 limits. I think this thread was about shooting late, that's illegal. K

Steeleco
12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
Your right I don't know for sure, but

Well I have heard of one young lad who works on the Island that has shot 140 Snow Geese and 96 Mallards...

It's tales like this that get my dander up.

Besdies, my original answer was to this question:

Secondly would it be wrong to shoot 140 snow geese if you gave them all away?

sparkes3
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
i dont know if its still in the regs but it used to be if you give them away you have to give them your migratory hunting license number and they are still considered part of your quota untill they are consumed.which brings up the question of daily bag limit and posession limit again.8(16)means 8 today and 8 tomorrow or 4 one day 4 the next and 8 the day after that as long as you dont go over the 16 posession limit,so if you have 16 combined and you eat 2 the next time you go hunting you can only shoot 2.hope thats not to confusing, is that right way to define the daily /posession limit in the regs or not.

f350ps
12-28-2009, 08:35 PM
So if I were to shoot 140 Snows and 96 Mallards what's the possession limit on the amount of pepperoni sticks I can have in my freezer? Confusing, I know! K

12-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Ah,life in Westham County,yeee ha!

yamadirt 426
12-28-2009, 09:01 PM
mmm.. pepperoni sticks. How are those anyway ? Do you add pork or any other meat to those ?

12-29-2009, 01:33 PM
This is his first year with a licesence from my source.
It could be locals or it could be poachers...
Sooner or later the CO's will move from East Delta/Ladner and make thier way over to WI.
Watch your clocks boys and girls.
Rob

There out there. I'v had a chat with them twice while hunting on the westham. I had one walk up behing me while hunting snows and I didn't see him. I shot a snow and it nearly landed right at his feet. he had a laugh, and seemed like a nice guy.

"Well I have heard of one young lad who works on the Island that has shot 140 Snow Geese and 96 Mallards... This is his first year with a licesence from my source."

first year with a westham pass or hunting licesence?
where does he work?

yamadirt 426
12-30-2009, 10:38 PM
If anyone knows where to get those night vison water fowling glasses pls let me know i had a hard time trying to find my dead ducks in the boat at my truck at 5:30 tonight . I think everyone else in ladner owns a pair except me by the sounds of things at that time. But nothing from Westham so those guys must have bought a couple watches. Good on ya guys. 2 for me tonight.

crazy ducker
12-31-2009, 09:19 AM
those light from winset greenhouse makes it real easy to see at night

FLHTCUI
12-31-2009, 09:19 AM
So, all you haters that have filled my inbox, Thank You.
I am not about to pass my Moral Values on any one about the Bag Limits on widgets or anything else for that matter.
The info I spoke of was pure speculation and rumor , Period !!!!
Those that shoot late , be it in the crannberry fields of East Richmond, or the ( Blackie) Brant Spit or Westham Island I have no idea who you are or if they read/post on this board ...
My position is this "If you cant do the Time, Dont do the Crime !"
I really dont care how many birds you shoot or sockeye you floss, jig or bump , dont whine to me or anyone else on this board, cause your not going to any sympathy from Me!!!

Hmmm, Ken, how many pepperoni sticks can you have in ones freezer??
Depends if they are Widgeon Sticks or Bought from Costco.
Rob

Steeleco
12-31-2009, 11:21 AM
Obviously this one has fun it's course!

Dolomite
12-23-2011, 08:45 PM
I live in Delta and I was bbq'ing this evening. It was 5:20 and I could hear the barrage of shotguns still at that time. I had to use a headlamp just to see what was on my bbq. How can you see anything flying at that time?
I hate to be a snitch, but honestly. I've got RAPP on speed-dial after tonight.
Not sure if it'll make a difference, but thats all I can really do.
Hopefully no one from this board was out in Boundary Bay tonight.

f350ps
12-23-2011, 11:04 PM
I hear it pretty much every night but I prefer to let the CO's deal with it! To each his own. K

Gateholio
12-23-2011, 11:20 PM
I think it's funny that you can shoot a grouse an hour after sunset but not a goose. :)

f350ps
12-24-2011, 10:50 AM
I think it's funny that you can shoot a grouse an hour after sunset but not a goose. :)
It has to do with the fact that ducks come to the fields to feed at dusk and they want them to be able to do that. K

dudeallen
12-30-2011, 08:48 PM
I know this thread is about shooting late, but bag/possesion limit stuff did come up and I'm hoping that I can be told if I'm wrong here...

My understanding is that I can shoot 8 ducks today, camp out overnight say, then shoot 8 more tomorrow. I have 16 ducks in my truck , my possession limit. If I go put these 16 ducks in my freezer, at my residence, I can go shoot 8 more the next day. Never shoot more than 8 a day, and never have more than 16 on me in the field. In the freezer there is no limit.

Wrong?

sparkes3
12-30-2011, 08:53 PM
wrong.
in your freezer or your buddies freezer they are still part of your possession limit which is two times your daily bag limit

aliagha
12-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I know this thread is about shooting late, but bag/possesion limit stuff did come up and I'm hoping that I can be told if I'm wrong here...

My understanding is that I can shoot 8 ducks today, camp out overnight say, then shoot 8 more tomorrow. I have 16 ducks in my truck , my possession limit. If I go put these 16 ducks in my freezer, at my residence, I can go shoot 8 more the next day. Never shoot more than 8 a day, and never have more than 16 on me in the field. In the freezer there is no limit.

Wrong?
You can never have more than 16 ducks in your possession, that includes the ducks you have in hand, plus the ducks in the truck and plus the ducks in your freezer combine can't exceed the limit of 16. once you have consumed the ducks you can go and shoot more.

dudeallen
12-30-2011, 09:14 PM
Wow, thanks. Good thing I eat them fast! A quick google search got me this:

"possession limit" means the maximum number of a species or type of wildlife which a person may have in his possession while hunting or returning from hunting, except for migratory game birds where the possession limit applies at all times;

from this site:
http://www.bclaws.ca/EPLibraries/bclaws_new/document/ID/freeside/190_84_01

Looks like migratory game birds are an exception to my previous understanding (where seasonal limits don't apply).

yamadirt 426
12-30-2011, 10:33 PM
If you process them into pepperoni you can shoot more. I think its unprocessed birds you cant have more than 16. If you live in ladner or tsawwassen its best to bury your head in the sand like f350 and pretend you don't hear the shots. Its pathetic out that way. Like the one guy says they use the greenhouse light. Even the legit guys know who the afterhours guys are but they would rather rat out an asian guy for a few extra birds than their own buddys for a hundred more lol. These same guys would bitch you out for not processing a merg too if you shot it. I could go on but I would be wasting key strokes.

field marshal
12-31-2011, 10:53 AM
If you process them into pepperoni you can shoot more. I think its unprocessed birds you cant have more than 16. If you live in ladner or tsawwassen its best to bury your head in the sand like f350 and pretend you don't hear the shots. Its pathetic out that way. Like the one guy says they use the greenhouse light. Even the legit guys know who the afterhours guys are but they would rather rat out an asian guy for a few extra birds than their own buddys for a hundred more lol. These same guys would bitch you out for not processing a merg too if you shot it. I could go on but I would be wasting key strokes.
This kind of post serves no purpose!!! Over here on the Island the good waterfowlers do their best to report ALL infractions!! You obviously are
new to the sport!! Reporting quite often gets no response from a C.O.!! In a lot of cases they have no man-power to investigate the report!
If you are so adamant about slagging the experienced waterfowlers for turning in poachers, perhaps you should get off your ass and go out to the
problem areas and start documenting the problem?? Before you spout off again walk a mile in our shoes first!! We've all experienced the frustration!!!
Work with us, not against us??----Cheers---Field Marshal.

yamadirt 426
12-31-2011, 11:08 PM
So I guess if I have been shooting birds for the past 20 yrs I would not have made my post or even started this thread 2 yrs ago. Nothing has changed since then like the yrs before that and the yrs to come. It's just sad when starting something new you see and hear a lot of bad out there. A couple more years and I won't care either I guess. I will rapp a guy if I see something firsthand I can report.

f350ps
12-31-2011, 11:24 PM
Where did you come up with burying my head, reading comprehension obviously ain't yer strong point. So I park in my driveway 20 minutes after legal and hear shots coming from various places down on the flats and I'm gonna be able to pinpoint the location then get in my truck and go get their license plate number? Give yer frickin head a shake! K

upcomer
01-01-2012, 12:04 AM
oooooooooooooo

f350ps
01-01-2012, 01:47 AM
So I guess if I have been shooting birds for the past 20 yrs I would not have made my post or even started this thread 2 yrs ago. Nothing has changed since then like the yrs before that and the yrs to come. It's just sad when starting something new you see and hear a lot of bad out there. A couple more years and I won't care either I guess. I will rapp a guy if I see something firsthand I can report.

And one more thing now that you bring up the Merganzer, if you took the time to read his post it was fairly obvious to think that he chucked it. I was always taught that if you shoot it ya eat it, and trust me I've eaten some pretty shit$y things when I was young. I'm kinda surprised that you of all people would question where I was going with that considering it was you that was having the dilema about what to do with a crippled duck that you found. K

yamadirt 426
01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Sorry for the dyck post f350. As FM pointed out I'm new to the sport. for some reason I took exception to you calling out buddy over the merg and your comment on this thread. I too eat what I shoot and have swam for cripples in freezing water. There is alot of bs out there and your obviously not part of that. Its too bad its not just a few bad apples out there.

f350ps
01-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Sorry for the dyck post f350. As FM pointed out I'm new to the sport. for some reason I took exception to you calling out buddy over the merg and your comment on this thread. I too eat what I shoot and have swam for cripples in freezing water. There is alot of bs out there and your obviously not part of that. Its too bad its not just a few bad apples out there.
No offence taken Yamadirt, I like yer passion for the game! K

crazy ducker
01-04-2012, 10:07 PM
you two hug and get on with shooting ducks

f350ps
01-04-2012, 10:28 PM
you two hug and get on with shooting ducks
Shut yer pie hole will ya, isn't there some dirt to play in? K

fowl language
01-05-2012, 09:35 AM
just for the record,i understand the co,s have been out a number of times in the delta in the recent past and laid a number of late shooting charges of late..i/2 an hour after legal time is rediculous but 1 hr, after is really bad and there are guy,s doing it.keep your rapp no. handy.....fowl

bandit
01-05-2012, 10:34 AM
How on earth do people see them 1hr after legal??? When I used to hunt ducks in Europe (no laws on shooting at night) you could only shoot late on a full moon cloudless night - in which case they would tend to fly high and drop straight in without circling. Never had much success over there after dark, and lost a few despite having a great dog too.

Gunner
01-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Ambient light from the city of Vancouver and the greenhouses in Delta make it fairly easy to see birds after legal time.As you say even with a good dog you would lose a lot of birds and without one you would lose almost all of them.One of the reasons it is illegal,as specified by International Treaty.If you cannot find the birds you shoot,it's just killing, not hunting. Gunner

crazy ducker
01-06-2012, 06:07 PM
I can see a duck way better one hour after sunset than a deer or a moose how is that legal and ducks aren't

f350ps
01-06-2012, 06:34 PM
I can see a duck way better one hour after sunset than a deer or a moose how is that legal and ducks aren't

You can't be serious, I think bouncin around in a tractor has caused some damage! K

Dolomite
01-07-2012, 10:01 AM
its just the rules. follow them

crazy ducker
01-07-2012, 04:40 PM
f350 you need to get a ecaller then they come in real close.

longshot
01-07-2012, 10:08 PM
F350, Use a big spot light along with the ecaller... best way to shoot migrating snow geese at night. Fun stuff.

f350ps
01-08-2012, 07:17 PM
F350, Use a big spot light along with the ecaller... best way to shoot migrating snow geese at night. Fun stuff.

Wow, for a kid that's not even outta highschool you sure seem to know a lot! FYI, ecallers and late shooting is illegal. K

Gunner
01-08-2012, 07:27 PM
Wow, for a kid that's not even outta highschool you sure seem to know a lot! FYI, ecallers and late shooting is illegal. KDon't bother K, these guys invented duck hunting.Makes me just shake my head:mrgreen: Gunner

longshot
01-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Wow, for a kid that's not even outta highschool you sure seem to know a lot! FYI, ecallers and late shooting is illegal. K

Well obviously! My point was to not be so serious on what is suppose to be a fun hunting chat forum! :) plus for me there was no harm to be taken in that message, all just fun and games :D

field marshal
01-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Quit while you can Giovanni, running off your smart mouth isn't making you any new friends on this site?????:evil:----Cheers--- Field Marshal.

longshot
01-08-2012, 08:01 PM
Wow.... a 18 year old makes a joke, all in good terms (on my end atleast) and has to hear this from all you guys... :(

91Jason91
01-08-2012, 08:55 PM
at least she didnt have the big flash light out hahahah