PDA

View Full Version : Bison meat??

eastkoot
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Just curious.. All you lucky guys who have killed bison, how is the meat? Tender/chewy, and what is it comparable to, elk, deer, moose, even beef...??

bridger
12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
the flavor is great very mild

newhunterette
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Just curious.. All you lucky guys who have killed bison, how is the meat? Tender/chewy, and what is it comparable to, elk, deer, moose, even beef...??

I would compare Bison/Buffalo to beef with an edge, I have only had tender bites but again any meat can be tender or tough depending on how it is prepared in the fields then prepared for the table.

use bison/buffalo in same recipes as you would any other game meats and you wont be disappointed

7mag700
12-28-2009, 11:39 AM
I found the middle-aged cow my buddy shot to be excellent - not very gamey at all, and not too tough (roasts are best in the crock pot). I hear a big bull can be like shoe-leather though.

7m7

srupp
12-28-2009, 11:52 AM
Bison..is my FAVORITE big game meat of all....

steven:mrgreen:

Springer
12-28-2009, 11:59 AM
We occasionaly buy Bison/Buffalo meat from the store. It is lean and like other wild meat should be cooked accordingly.

338 winmag
12-28-2009, 12:38 PM
Not as good as moose in my opinion , it sits at the bottom of my freezer till all the good meat is gone.

Will
12-28-2009, 01:22 PM
Bison meat = Yummy ! probably the closest wild game to the domestic cow IMO.

And what a coat you'll have to impress all the ladies ! :cool:

http://www.eaglerockfur.com/coats/images/EagleRockAfternoon-034.jpg

tomahawk
12-28-2009, 02:11 PM
On average the best meat you can shoot. Its the first meat that goes from the deep freeze everytime we shoot one, this year was our 3rd bull. As suggested bigger can be chewy but so is elk and moose when there large.http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09075.jpg

newhunterette
12-28-2009, 02:13 PM
the Otter Co-Op sells bison/buffalo in their meat counters - it is very reasonably priced and a nice way to change up a few meals

d6dan
12-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Eat Bison 10,000 Wolves can't be wrong!!:tongue:

moosinaround
12-28-2009, 02:44 PM
Bison is AWESOME!! Now is I could only get a Fu@#in draw!! Moosin

mikeman20
12-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Dont know about steaks or anything, but the best burger i ever had was ground bison my friends dad shot.
that was probably 2 years ago and my mouth STILL waters thinking about it

Kootenai
12-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Eaten lotsa bison. Compare it to some of the best beef you have eaten, only way leaner !

trigger
12-28-2009, 06:42 PM
The bull I got this year has been excellent. The eye of the round is a bit chewy but all the steaks I've eating are great

rocksteady
12-28-2009, 06:45 PM
A few years ago a buddy of mine went to Northern Alberta and shot a big bull, from a ranch.....

No offence to any bison eaters here, BUT, we had some cutlets that were absolutely the chewiest, toughest pice of crap I have ever eaten....:-|

My wife simmered them in the crock pot for 3 days straight, at that point they were palatable as Swiss Steak.....

I think the bull must of been about 1000 years old, give or take a decade...:mrgreen:

hunter1947
12-29-2009, 07:47 AM
Bison meat is the tops I would say when it comes to eating game meat.

Frango
12-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Bison meat is the tops I would say when it comes to eating game meat.
Ditto ,could not agree more

tomahawk
12-29-2009, 09:27 AM
A few years ago a buddy of mine went to Northern Alberta and shot a big bull, from a ranch.....

No offence to any bison eaters here, BUT, we had some cutlets that were absolutely the chewiest, toughest pice of crap I have ever eaten....:-|

My wife simmered them in the crock pot for 3 days straight, at that point they were palatable as Swiss Steak.....

I think the bull must of been about 1000 years old, give or take a decade...:mrgreen:

Take a chunk of big bull moose or elk and they can be the chewiest, toughest piece of crap as well. However compare apples to apples and a 2 yr old elk, moose, bison, deer or what have you and the bison is the better eating meat IMHO.

d6dan
12-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Take a chunk of big bull moose or elk and they can be the chewiest, toughest piece of crap as well. However compare apples to apples and a 2 yr old elk, moose, bison, deer or what have you and the bison is the better eating meat IMHO.

Absolutely no wild, gamey taste in young Bison :-D.

X-man
12-30-2009, 05:20 AM
I've been lucky enough to be in on three bison hunts.

The first time we shot the biggest damn bull we could find nice but definitely some tough spots....The second and third time we shot nice sized cows....No comparison and just as good as lean beef IMHO.
Makes me drool thinking about it!

The fur is incredible BTW...The nicest ungulate by 1000 times. Way too heavy to wear...unless its 40 below!

The Hermit
12-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Bison meat = Yummy ! probably the closest wild game to the domestic cow IMO.

And what a coat you'll have to impress all the ladies ! :cool:

http://www.eaglerockfur.com/coats/images/EagleRockAfternoon-034.jpg

Dude that is an AWESOME coat!! If I ever get a bison draw and kill one I would consider getting one made up!! Hot damn!!

BearStump
12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
to this day the best hunk of meat that I have EVER eaten was Bison tenderloin, with a blueberry demi-glace, cooked at the "Eclectic Med" in vernon. MMMMMMMMMM!!
Bison, and elk are the 2 animals that my wife actually encourages me to get, the only 2 that she really likes to eat. Just happens to be that because of where I live they are the 2 most expensive for me to go and get.

bigwhiteys
12-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I've eaten quite a few ranch bison. Grain fed, can't tell the difference from beef other than there is a lot less fat to drain when cooking the burger.

Carl

pete_k
12-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Dry, lean and mild. Prefer young moose or young whitey

GoatGuy
12-30-2009, 01:21 PM
Had some a couple weeks ago, was good.

SHACK
12-30-2009, 01:40 PM
On average the best meat you can shoot. Its the first meat that goes from the deep freeze everytime we shoot one, this year was our 3rd bull. As suggested bigger can be chewy but so is elk and moose when there large.http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj230/tomahawktom/Bison09075.jpg

Now this is a great photo for shot placement on a bison. Best eating animal out there, always the first thing out of the deep freeze. Mind you all I have shot are young cows, no big bulls.

Mik
12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
The bull I got this year has been excellent. The eye of the round is a bit chewy but all the steaks I've eating are great
throw a capful of tequila into it as a marinade.

Mik
12-30-2009, 05:33 PM
IMO,It is by far the most delicious of all meats. Comparable to a Triple Grade A steak.

303Brit
12-30-2009, 07:42 PM
I really like it, I pick some of from Island Bison from time to time. Although I prefer the ribs, roasts and ground to the steaks. JMO

One of these years I may get a draw, till then I'll hafta buy

RustyRipper
12-30-2009, 08:48 PM
We occasionaly buy Bison/Buffalo meat from the store. It is lean and like other wild meat should be cooked accordingly.

Well if you bought it from the store then it is definitely not wild. Just to clear this up with some people, a ranch buffalo tastes much different than a wild buffalo. Ranch buffalo sit around and fatten up just like cows only a little leaner, where as wild buffalo are running around scared as hell from snow machines and quads and gettin shot at etc. so naturally they are much tougher. either way delicious meat, but if I had my picks it would be a wild cow or else a young ranch bull.

BCHoyt
12-31-2009, 06:16 PM
I dont even buy ground beef anymore... Only ground bison.. BBQ'd burgers in the summer are all bison! Once you have it you will never want beef again!

soloist
12-31-2009, 06:20 PM
it's not any good so if you shoot one just let me know and i'll give you my address so that you can drop it off for me!

Rock Doctor
01-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Next to Sheep, I would have to say Bison is the best. I've taken 4 of them now and don't regret any of them.

high and to the right
01-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Dude that is an AWESOME coat!! If I ever get a bison draw and kill one I would consider getting one made up!! Hot damn!!

that coat weighs 220 lbs, even more if you leave the head on. :-D:-D

Big7
01-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Had some steaks from a farm bison and it was pretty darn close to beef so...if you like beef....!

extreme01
01-05-2010, 02:27 AM
BBQ Bison Roast

Use a 4-6 lb. roast (cut doesn't really matter)
Insert 4-5 half-cloves of garlic in various places inside the roast. (A paring knife works great).
Liberally sprinkle all surfaces with Lowry's seasoning salt, freshly ground black pepper and garlic POWDER (not garlic salt).Prepare the BBQ as follows:
Underneath the grill on top of the coals, lava rocks or tile place a metal cake pan that is larger than the roast and fill approximately 2/3 full of water. This will stop any flaring of the roast and drippings and also prevents the roast from any drying out.
Start BBQ only on the OPPOSITE side from where you are cooking the roast. Start on HIGH heat and after searing the roast, turn heat down to LOW to MEDIUM.
During cooking, set the roast on end and turn 1/4 turn EVERY 15 MINUTES, doing the ends of the roast last. Generally, cooking time is 1/2 hour per pound.
It is preferable to use a meat thermometer to determine how well done you like the meat.

01-27-2010, 07:44 AM
Not to compare to beef ........ but ....

as for all the large wild game I have shot and eaten in our Province, Elk, Moose, Deer, Sheep, Goat, G.Bear, B.Bear, Bison is incredible eating. Although we shot 2 Cows this past LEH draw, it is hands down the best W/G I have tasted. I love my others as above don't get me wrong, they are all individuals and I like the different tastes they all have, but absolutely zero wild or strng flavor, I hope I draw again some day, the first one only took 15 years of trying on LEH until I finally got the draw, ...it's going to be a long wait.

CT

BiG Boar
01-27-2010, 08:00 AM
I have had bison a few times. I find it funny that the natives on the 7-57 shoot elk and moose before they shoot bison. Or so I have been told. They sure arn't controlling the herd!

vortex
01-27-2010, 08:10 AM
I would have to agree with most of the others on here that bison is among the best game meat I've ever eaten.
When we lived in Fort Simpson, NWT in 1972 and Queen Elizabeth II came to town, my dad flew bison meat that was shot in Wood Buffalo National Park into town for her dinner. I'm thinking that if you are going to serve it to the queen, it can't be too bad. I don't imagine that shooting an animal in a national park and feeding it to royalty will ever happen again in Canada...but there was a time.

Fraink
02-07-2010, 08:11 PM
The 4 yr old bull my son harvested in Dec. is likely the best tasting meat our family has ever eaten, tenderloins and backstraps browned on a grill and cooked in the oven at 400 F untill the internal temp is 130 F (medium rare) and it was better than any prime rib I've had at a restaurant.

tuffteddyb
02-12-2010, 07:33 PM
you people had better luck than i did,i got a 1/4 of one and i would much rather had beef.it was supposed to be a 2 year old and every steak we had was different. would try another 1/4.but things aint lookin good for that so far.
much rather have moose elk or deer and beef

Iron Glove
02-12-2010, 10:37 PM
We've only had ranch Buffalo. The wife much prefers Buffalo burgers to any beef, I find them a bit too lean for me, but still good.
Our dog's main food is raw buffalo. High in protein, low in fat, no allergy problems. She thrives on it.
Hopefully the future will bring a buffalo hunt. :-D