PDA

View Full Version : Hold over or split pins?

Blk Arrow
12-27-2009, 07:07 PM
While I was practicing today, I played around with "splitting" my pins (centering the gap between pins on the spot) as opposed to my usual hold over technique. I have on occasion split my pins on the 3D course with varying degrees of success. The results of my afternoon session seemed to indicate hold over produced better results. I attribute this to using an actual aiming point with a pin. This point may become moot as the new bows have so little drop with the speeds they generated.

So which technique do the archers of HBC use and why?

HailCall
12-27-2009, 08:47 PM
I only use pin gaping in 3d as I use a rangefinder while hunting. I have had ok succcess doing it but It usually results in an 8 not a 10. Better than no foam or a 5 though. I have actually had worse luck on holdover if I choose the wrong pin 40 vs 30 ect.... Gapping seems to work better with vertical pin sights rather than my horizontal spott hog sight, I shoot a dxt so it is moderate on speed but certianly not the fastest out there. I am not the greatest at 3-d I usually score somewhere in the 340 to 350 range in mbr. I got a boat so bowfishing has replaced my 3-d shooting. Fish are way more fun to shoot. Seth

Bowzone_Mikey
12-28-2009, 09:52 AM
when i shot Multiple pins I used Combination of the 2

I come to a target and say its 37 yrds ..

"Ok thats more than 30 ... but not more than 40..."

"is it more than 35?"
here is where I would do some visualization .... and see if shadows and dead space are triing to mind F**K me

"yes .. more than 35.. but still not more than 40"
"is it less than 38?"
"Maybe"
is it more than 37?"
" dont look like it"
I make sure the 30 pin is way high and the 40 pin is a little low

and i would usually Shoot a high 8 cause it was really 33 yrds away ;)

Bow Walker
12-28-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm right there with you zMikey, my worts enemy (at judging yardage) is my inner self. More often than not if I just go with my first read it is the closest to being real.

That being said, I found that if I can choose a particular pin and put that pin either over (or under) I have greater success than trying to 'gap' a pair of pins.

Greater success doesn't necessarily equal 10's or 12's.