PDA

View Full Version : Which hunting Jacket?

vanislehunter1
12-27-2009, 01:01 PM
Well, after this year, i've decided that I NEED a new hunting jacket. Something around the $250 mark. Obviously something that will keep me cool when i'm hiking up a mountain and if i'm walking areas where there is lots of rain/snow mix, I don't want to come back to the truck wearing a jacket that weighs as much as my day pack.

I was looking at Rivers West, and also at other brands, but i'm not even going to bother with Sitka; way too much money for a simple array of pockets and whatever material they use. I was thinking of maybe layering, but just as long as it isn't Sitka...

Thanks for any replies!:-D

ryanb
12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
In my opinion the rivers west stuff is marginal at best.

The material is quiet, strong, and definately waterproof but thats where the good news ends. The material is also heavy, stiff, and doesn't breathe AT ALL. My pair of rivers west pants leaks at the seams in heavy rain.

For some more reasonable priced stuff I would look at the various lines from Browning. Browning makes some decent product (for hunting wear), but even still it doesn't compare to proper technical outdoor clothing.

muledeercrazy
12-27-2009, 01:24 PM
cabelas. check out the reviews on the us site, thats pretty helpful for finding out what others thought about a product. then watch the bargain cave or for sales and you might get a break on the price.

115 or bust
12-27-2009, 01:38 PM
You can save some money and buy browning gear. A little louder than the Sitka gear but way more waterproof than the stuff we have tried. I usually just throw it in my pack unless its pouring and then its silent anyhow.

BC4Bowhunter
12-27-2009, 02:31 PM
I have used rivers west gear for years and it great for sitting in the rain or still hunting. However, as said before it doesn't breathe too well at all. There are vents under the arms you can open but it doesn't really help to much if your hiking and sweating. I would look at the browning gear.

oddsix
12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Dickies plaid with a thermal undershirt is all you need :)

spear
12-27-2009, 06:44 PM
West Coast tuxedo

gameslayer
12-27-2009, 07:46 PM
In my opinion the rivers west stuff is marginal at best.

. My pair of rivers west pants leaks at the seams in heavy rain.

Why do you not send them in on warranty I know mine are 10 years and they will give a a loaner if need be ?

moosegoof
12-27-2009, 08:52 PM
I own a pair of browning xpo, love them as mentioned above,a little noisy,good pants 3 years old still working great.

Sitkaspruce
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Most people forget that RiverWest has three different types, The Original H2O, the Light weight-All weather stuff, LAW and the lightweight stuff, APF.

I am getting the APF stuff for hear on the island. It is packable, but still has the same qualities as the the heavier stuff.

You can dress up in layers and then add this jacket as an outer shell. It will keep you dry and warm for when you are siting.

VanIsle, sent you a PM about some deals for RW stuff in either APF or LAW.

Cheers

SS

ryanb
12-29-2009, 01:51 AM
As far as I know the lighter weight rivers west stuff is no more breathable than the regular stuff, though I dont have any so Im just going by what they say on their site.