PDA

View Full Version : Boxing Day waterfowl hunt 2009

Marc
12-26-2009, 07:13 PM
Well I had my newly fixed 11-87 oiled up and ready to take it for a test drive this morning.

We set up the decoys and waited for legal time to arrive. First birds in to the decoys after legal light where a pair of Mallards. The gun barked and two ducks hit the ground! Yes! The gun is working like it used too!

We had ducks working the spread pretty much all morning in the fog. I even managed a triple on ducks again today. What a feeling to have that happen after struggling to try and get my groove with my standby shotgun which is now broken :-|.

We limited out on Mallards buy about noon and decided to stick around to see if we could manage to get into some more geese. We then sat there and watched flock after flock after flock of ducks work our decoy spread. We had mallards, widgeon, teal, spoon bills and a single drake pintail visit the spread after we had already reached our limit on mallards. Then what had to be the most frustrating thing of all. Field Mashall hollers out Euro widgeon, at first I though he was pulling my leg, no word of a lie it was a full plummed Euro Widgeon and he come right into the spread so we can have a good look. Not just once but it circled well within range 3 times :-|

The geese where flying around but we had a hard time seeing anything in the thick fog. We did have a couple flocks come in to range and we managed to knock six geese out of them and we had another sail about 400 yards where it was found dead in the road and didn't get picked up until after the picture.

The dog had a blast and we had him busy retrieving ducks and geese for the better part of the morning. we had a couple ducks drop onto some ice on a flooded area of the field and the dog was nervous walking on it as it was creaking and breaking underneath him. He did eventually get the birds but it was kind of funny to watch him out there tip toeing to the birds.It was his first time working on frozen water so it was a leaning day for him out there as well.

Had a great day out there and hopefully everyone had a good one out there.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/boxing_day_hunt.jpg

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/boxing_day_birds.jpg

showtimebc
12-26-2009, 07:23 PM
great looking birds, i'd like to try that one of these days! nicely done!

Theo722
12-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Nice to hear others are finding them. Well done

PgHunterKid
12-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Awesome. Would have been a perfect day if you could have got that Euro Widgeon too. Where was this by the way?

Marc
12-26-2009, 09:37 PM
This was up around Duncan on Vancouver Island.

Jelvis
12-26-2009, 10:39 PM
na hice -- nothing more exciting than duck and goose hunting with a good friend, you guys did fantastic, wow. Good photo, beauty dog.
J/P - lots of action -

Spy
12-26-2009, 10:57 PM
Good hunting looks like you guys had a great shoot. Its always nice getting a double but a tripple doesn't come often,good shooting. Those geese look well fed & will make good eaters.
Looks like there are a couple of euro widgeon around there was a pic of one posted earlier.Is it normal to have euro widgeon on the Island?

kyleklassen
12-26-2009, 11:22 PM
look a little light colored to be hunting those fields.... or is it your heritage

Marc
12-27-2009, 05:54 PM
look a little light colored to be hunting those fields.... or is it your heritage

Field Marshal is Native.

Marc
12-27-2009, 06:19 PM
We never did see the Euro widgeon today but we did manage to get into a mess of mallards. After seeing how many birds where around yesterday we decided to stick to just mallards again unless the Euro Widgeon or Pintail Sprig showed itself. Here is a picture of a 3 man limit of birds. We did see teal, widgeon, pintail and shoveler as well today. We did shoot at a pintail drake that flew over the spread but we never touched it. We had a flock of about 8 shovelers land right in the decoys, they stuck around for about 5 minutes until they heard us talking to loud I guess. Not the smartest ducks around. None of them were mature drakes, mostly hens and a few immature drakes.

It's going to be a busy night in the garage getting my portion from today and yesterdays birds ready for sausage. Wife gets home around 11:30pm tonight so I'm hoping to have most of the mess done and cleaned up by then.:mrgreen:

The geese again were flying quite high and I had lost my goose call first thing this morning so that's why we only got the one goose today..... Just kidding Field Marshall and Duck Buster.:lol: Duck Buster did find my goose call out in the field when we were setting up for the picture! Saved me from having to order a new one! Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.:mrgreen:

Both Dogs were kept busy the majority of the day and will sleep good again tonight.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/Tony_Jamie_and_Marc_27th_Dec_09.jpg

shotgunjohn
12-28-2009, 08:36 AM
So that's where all the ducks are! Just kidding but it was a slow weekend for us. We busted ice to put out decoys on Saturday but never fired a shot . We did manage a few birds on an open ditch on Sunday but from the sounds of people shooting we quit too soon. Shooting was pretty steady around 2 in th afternoon.

Marc
12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
So that's where all the ducks are! Just kidding but it was a slow weekend for us. We busted ice to put out decoys on Saturday but never fired a shot . We did manage a few birds on an open ditch on Sunday but from the sounds of people shooting we quit too soon. Shooting was pretty steady around 2 in th afternoon.

The mornings where quite slow and we were quite surprised how many birds started flying around in the afternoon. I'm wondering if it was a rising tide both mornings, never did check to see what was happening from the bay side of things. Could have been the fog that kept them tight as well as the fog didn't really break until after lunch both days.

Ovis17
12-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Couple of great days and even better pics. Nice work....just haven't been out that much this year for ducks unfortunately. My dog hates me right now.

303Brit
12-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Nice Pics Marc, Glad hear the gun and back together and working.

longshot
12-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Geez, what a load of ducks!! You guys sounded like WWIII up there! :-D

longshot jr.