PDA

View Full Version : Random Question

Trackeye
12-26-2009, 11:37 AM
I was hunting christian valley around the 50k mark where the clear cuts start getting big. I was just wondering if anyone knew what strips the bark on some of the trees? They are all stripped the same height about 8-10 feet. It has bugged me for a while. Is it an animal thats eating it? Or something to do with logging?

Steeleco
12-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Welcome to the site. What type of trees?? If they're Poplars, it's likely moose, if they're just scratched all the hell, it could be a bear. But 8' to 10' that's a big bear??

leadpillproductions
12-26-2009, 11:43 AM
its moose .....

HailCall
12-26-2009, 12:05 PM
Ya have porcupines up there Praire pork loves stripping bark I think they can climb also. Just a guess

d6dan
12-26-2009, 12:08 PM
Ya have porcupines up there Praire pork loves stripping bark I think they can climb also. Just a guess

My thoughts too. Here, they love balsam, spruce. :) Trackeye, what species of trees were they?. or do you have a pic?..

Swamp mule
12-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Porcy's do climb trees, I have seen it in Houston working in the bush where they will focus on one tree "namely pine" and strip it of its bark until there is nothing left. You can telly with the small rodent like teeth marks left behind. It looks kinda raggy. Look att he base to see if there are any quils or woody s%^t at the tree base, that will tell if it is a porcy. If it is aspen or cottonwood, the moose will eat the bark down to the wood and usually leaving large teeth marks. Aspen bark contains a certain amount of asprin content.

CanuckShooter
12-26-2009, 03:54 PM
They don't have to climb trees when the snow is deep.......just ruminating on it.

spencer
12-26-2009, 04:19 PM
i thin kit might be a bear a big one

chainsaw
12-26-2009, 04:37 PM
I noticed this in the in reg 8 if there all along the roads its probably logging equipment on low beds bouncing of the trees while being delivered to the work site.