PDA

View Full Version : Truly WILD Stories

SharpShot6
12-25-2009, 08:53 PM
Im usally looking at hunting stuff and there is ALWAYS stories on the page when I am on Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. I read them and I like hearing about crazy stories. So whats your most interesting hunting story?
I am going to post my favorite and if you win, you are a true hunter.
Thanks!
- Cameron

hunter1947
12-26-2009, 05:27 AM
My best hunting story is being with a 87 year old hunter this year that put the bullet right in the boiler room of a whitetail deer at 150 yards http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Not my wild story but this one is hard to beat.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=40606

SSS

12-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Now thats Funny !!

Safarichris....... love the HORN POINTS UP comment !

CT

Alpine Addict
12-26-2009, 02:49 PM
We had spiked out about 2.5 hour ride from our cabin in order to try and find a band of rams we had been chasing all over for 2 weeks. The ponies had a tendency to run back to camp so I camped about 20 min walk down the trail so that if the horses decided to make a midnight esape I could intercept them.
Well during the middle of the day when the guide and hunter were off scouting I walked down to my chosen campsite and set up my tent. On my walk back there was a series of meadows and in the twenty minutes I had been setting up my tent a herd of about 30 bison decided to claim the meadows/trail. Now the trail went right between some thick bush and a lake. So In order to skirt the Bison I bushwhacked around them. I chambered a slug in my shotgun, made a mental note of how far I had to go before safely coming out on the trail, about 300 yards.
Well sure enough At around 150 yards I thought I had passed all the Bison so I slowly walked towards the clearing when all of a sudden I heard a snort and saw a bison with its head down running at me at about 50 yards.
Needles to say I totally forgot I had a gun. I turned and ran as fast as I could a good 200 yards before I finnally turned around. I emerged on the trail and looked back, and there about 200 yards behind me was a Big Bull standing about 50 yards away from the herd watching me go.

Pretty neat/scary experience. Now the only problem was that I only brought one pair or underwear to spikecamp, and they had suddenly become unfit to wear..

Gateholio
12-26-2009, 03:43 PM
Many years ago, I guided a school janitor, who had saved for seven years to hunt with us. He arrived with new boots in box, and never handled a rifle to speak. It was his very first ever hunt. I remember, he was a very frail character and needed some meat on his bones. There were four other quite professional hunters in the same camp, who had hunted all over the world. They were somewhat frustrated at this newcomer and even affraid to hunt in the same valley. To cut the story short, the school janitor went home with a 38'full curl stone, huge Six-point elk, Goat, Grizz and 58 inch moose. All animals were one or two inches and just slightly larger than everything the other four hunters brought in to camp. We later got a letter from the janitor thanking us for the hunt, fond memories and that it would be the only hunt he would ever go on. He said '' I only wanted to prove to the kids at school that I was able to survive the ordeal''. I replied back with a card, telling him that if he mounts the heads and hangs them on a wall, to remember that the horns should always point up to the ceiling.
Someone was truly smiling down on that lad.
Thanks
Chris Kind

As I was reading this post I was htinking "I've heard this before"...then saw your name at the bottom:-D

That was a great story, you have a bunch of great stories!:-D

olharley guy
12-26-2009, 06:53 PM
Many years ago, I guided a school janitor, who had saved for seven years to hunt with us. He arrived with new boots in box, and never handled a rifle to speak. It was his very first ever hunt. I remember, he was a very frail character and needed some meat on his bones. There were four other quite professional hunters in the same camp, who had hunted all over the world. They were somewhat frustrated at this newcomer and even affraid to hunt in the same valley. To cut the story short, the school janitor went home with a 38'full curl stone, huge Six-point elk, Goat, Grizz and 58 inch moose. All animals were one or two inches and just slightly larger than everything the other four hunters brought in to camp. We later got a letter from the janitor thanking us for the hunt, fond memories and that it would be the only hunt he would ever go on. He said '' I only wanted to prove to the kids at school that I was able to survive the ordeal''. I replied back with a card, telling him that if he mounts the heads and hangs them on a wall, to remember that the horns should always point up to the ceiling.
Someone was truly smiling down on that lad.
Thanks
Chris Kind

Howdy, great story and you probably have a few hundred more to tell that haven't been published, your books make for great reading. Later

Fraink
12-26-2009, 08:47 PM
I was moose hunting and following a stream that drained one swamp into another when I came upon a cow moose drinking from the stream and a nice young (9 point) bull standing behind her. I raised my rifle and shot the bull, he turned toward the timber and dropped just before he would have dissappeared in the trees. The cow however jumped forward and landed in the stream and appeared to be stuck. I had brought chest waders incase I had to retrieve a moose from water but when a moose is stuck I'm thinking chest waders won't cut it. I had three buddies nearby so one of my friends helped me field dress the bull after we had dropped a few small trees to cross the stream. The other two got there a while later and we decided we needed to do something for this cow stuck in the mud. We had a good lenght of 1/2" rope so we tied a loose loop in the end and put it over her head with a 3/8" rope attached to the loop to pull it off when she started to run. All four of us gave a good pull and she started to move and also began to float, one buddy then picked up his 30 06 just in case we had a rodeo when she came out. The other 3 of us gave another good pull and she came right over to the solid ground but didn't get up. I removed the rope from her neck and tried to push her to her feet but she just woudn't get up. All the while that it took for us to pull out the bull with a chainsaw winch, I went back and tried to get her to her feet, she never got up and was still lieing there 2 hrs later. I was concerned that she might have somehow been injured by the bullet if it ricocheted on it's way out of the bull but the hole through the bull was straight and she had no blood showing. She must have simply been exhausted.
I returned to the area 2 yrs later with one of my buddies on another LEH draw and went to see if I could see bones from a wolf kill but nothing was found. Just hoping she eventually got up after resting awhile. Sorry guys no pics on this one.

proguide66
12-27-2009, 10:00 AM
yrs ago we were on our last hunt of the season...my hunter tagged out and my partner was having a tough go finding one more leagl ram. Day 11 of a 14 day hunt we packed up our main camp ( 2 months in) and headed out with all our gear and the hunters to the highway. We had also pulled the shoes off all our horses due to being done and lots of snow.
We get back to the ranch , cut the horses loose , weins says we have to go back out to another drain I usually hunted for the month of Aug wich is real high up and REAL misserable and probably -20 at that particular time.:cry::cry::cry:...ALSO , it was a 7hr ride up a river bed..with NO SHOES on the poor horses who also thought they were done for the season..:roll::roll:....well , I told my partner to get the kitchen gear together and stove as I got our grocery list together so we could head out with he one hunter the next day. Weins said it was important this guy gets a ram due to it being the auctioned off hunt at FNAWS.
We literally FOUGHT or horses for 9 hrs up the valley frezzing our ass's off...made camp ( one dome tent) , I go to make some grub...NO HOSE to the stove from the propane bottle..:shock::shock:...also discovered NO CUTLERY in the kitchen role Mark grabbed...one frying pan...no dish soap....-20...and maybe 3 1/2 spruce trees near us...:cry::cry::cry:....managed to find some sticks to cook and we ate like cave men out of the frying pan..:(.....get up in the morning , no horses....left for the highway probably the second we closed our eyes.....Mark says he's gonna be the wrangler and takes off...I take the hunter and start our 3 hr hike up river to find a ram ( with only 6 or 8 river crossings...and NO FIRE WOOD TO DRY OUR SHIT AT THE END OF THE DAY).....anyway...we are in BIG mountains , its f-en cold..snowing...I'm exhausted from the season , cold hungry tired and thinking ' inmates have it better than this' as we hike up and up......:neutral:
Walking along the river bed i look ahead to see some weird looking blobs up ahead in the river bed...5 RAMS !!!!:shock::shock:...right in the damned river bed!!!!!:shock::shock:...i'm guesing we were there at the very moment they were traveling from one side of the valley to the other....anyway , one is a jet black ram and legal both ways..over 8 and over the nose.....we stalk up to around 250....the rams are feeding up a gentle slope , hunter is lieing down...I have the spotter up and am running the camera.....the rams are on a ridge...pow...hunter misses , rams dissappear over the ridge....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......:cry::cry::cr y:............I'm laying there trying not to curl up in the fetal position to suck my thumb while crying...the rams come back !:shock:...AND start feeding!...tell the hunter to take his time...250...boom!...MISSED AGAIN.:mad:...now I'm looking for a rock to hit my hunter on the head with....RAMS COME BACK AGAIN !!!!!.....hunter lays down....sueezes off his third miss.....:?:?...rams take off.....I re ran the footage while he repeated a whole line of new curse words I had never heard put together before and thought I noticed a bullet hit a ft high and 3 ft to the left of the ram...the ram was angling uphill left...broadside....well...look up..RAMS CAME BACK AGAIN !!!!.....I tell the hunter to hold on the cock and balls of the black ram...broadside angling up hill at a 45..he's looking at me like i'm nuts...I BEG him to hold on the cock/balls...boom.....bullet hits ram in neck..we get him!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:...now its 4 pm , -20 and we are soaked...and I have to cape quarter this ram and pack it back to camp for 4 hrs...DOH:eek:..all the while thinking Mark is going to have to stay at the ranch that night with the horses and ride em back in the next day to us......well...I decide its kinda important we get back to that tent asap so I quarter/cape and decide to tke the head/cape to camp and walk back alone in the am for the meat....start our hike..come around a rock corner....there's Mark and 2 extra horses saddled up !!! YAH BABBY !!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:....camped that night , packed up the shit the next day and filled our water bottles with crown royal for the funny ride out!!!....all on tape , will never have that happen again in this life time!!!

Fraink
12-27-2009, 10:12 AM
cool story, nice to have the vid high def enough to come up with such a genius game plan. Hunter prob thinks you a god!!

alecvg
12-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Had a bear charge me once, got between it and its cub. We were hunting high country, just came through a meadow, into a patch of timber in the dark and the cub was laying in the middle of the trail. We darn near stepped on it, and it went running up the trail barking, up hill from us was timber with thick under brush, down hill was the same; all of a sudden we could hear the sow charging down through the brush towards us from above, and the cub freaks out, and runs back towards us, and climbs a tree below us and starts barking again, so we run like hell backwards into the meadow, and we hear them barking back and forth for 5 or ten more minutes, and they go running down the hill. Really scary because all I had was a 20 gauge with bird shot, and my brother had a .270 with 130 gr. bullets.