PDA

View Full Version : Wolf scoring: what is good?

kootenayslam
12-24-2009, 09:27 AM
just taped out a wolf i killed this year, 17 1/4 " (measured it like a cougar or bear) but don't know whats big as i have no reference, i looked on boone and crockett club site but it doesn't have a wolf section, nor does pope and young as far as i can see but anybody know what a big skull is?

d6dan
12-24-2009, 09:33 AM
BC book minimum score is 16 for wolf..sounds like you have a winner..:-D..

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2009, 09:34 AM
That sounds like a great one!

The BC book minmum is 16" and using the latest edition of the BC book yours would tie for 53rd spot.

Congrats!!

What are your plans for the hide??

SSS

kootenayslam
12-24-2009, 09:38 AM
nice, still hasn't dried for 60 days but i just boiled it out last night, It was a huge Wolf so that makes sense, good deal... i want to tan the hide, not sure where yet though....

Stone Sheep Steve
12-24-2009, 09:40 AM
nice, still hasn't dried for 60 days but i just boiled it out last night, It was a huge Wolf so that makes sense, good deal... i want to tan the hide, not sure where yet though....

If you've already boiled the skull it probably won't shrink much more..if any.

Did you post story/pics back when you got it?

SSS

Blainer
12-24-2009, 09:44 AM
If you've already boiled the skull it probably won't shrink much more..if any.

Did you post story/pics back when you got it?

SSSPost the story and pictures in the predator contest

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43586 (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=43586)

kootenayslam
12-24-2009, 09:48 AM
no i didn't post a story, this one was kind of cool, i was mule deer hunting this november and so was the pack of wolves in my spot, i shot at 5 of them at over 400yrds, killed 2 of them, backed out of the pack a couple miles as i was running out of bullets and they got into the thick timber, 2 hours later and 2 miles down the road the big black ALFA showed up 20ft to my right as i was glassing a cut block, could have shot him with the scope cover on but i pulled it off and smoked him through the willows he was just staring me down trying to figure out what i was, i went back to get the grey wolf too and there was allready a sow and cub Griz on that wolf(tracks anyways, fresh in the snow they spooked off when i came in with the quad), i threw the wolf over my shoulders and got out of dodge.....before mamma bear came back.....should save a few deer:-D

Bowtime
12-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Any wolf is a good wolf. 17 is a gooder.