PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoe Advice

SteadyGirl
12-23-2009, 04:43 PM
I'm looking for information on snowshoes. How do I pick the best/right snowshoes for myself? How do I pick them for somebody else? These would be for moderate use...day trips and the odd overnight.

thanks

dutchie
12-23-2009, 05:08 PM
there are many different kinds of snow shoes... I have th Atlas, the MSR are extreamly nice and you can get attachments for the deeper snow.

If you are looking for yourself, pick the ones that are going to support the style of snowshoeing (there are running, hiking and trapping styles) and support your weight.

The Atlas shoes I got a smoking deal on and that is the only reason They live at my house. If i was paying full pop the MSR ones are my first choice. (they have ice cleates around the edges and the foot wrap is the most comfortable)

there are a bunch of local (within BC) that make and sell thier own snowshoes, I have used a pair that were made in PG and they did not do anything for me but many love them.

Go to your local ski hill and they will have a snowshow rental place with lots of different kinds. Try some out, you may like some of the other brands better then myself.

If you are looking for just some basic rec snowhowing in DEEP pow then go with the old style ones (trapper style) because they will float you on the snow but you have to walk a little bowl legged.

Hope it helps

Dutchie

chilcotin hillbilly
12-23-2009, 10:08 PM
If you want a shoe that will last a lifetime go with Atlas or Sherpa, I put alot of miles on my Atlas shoes and the still work great.

troutseeker
12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Make sure you get a ladies model for yourself, they are narrower and fit a woman's stride better.

Atlas, MSR, are two of the big names, there are more and even some made in Canada. Their name escapes me at the moment but I'm sure someone else will pipe up!

Devilbear
12-24-2009, 08:19 AM
I started snowshoeing in the Kootenays in 1958 and have used them extensively for both work and recreation since then; I have used and owned many makes and styles and done many multiday winter mountain camping trips on them. Things have changed in snowshoes and some of the once "best" makes are now made in Asia and NOT what they used to be.

My current favourites are Crescent Moon Expedition Gold 17s, but, these are very expensive and usually available in BC on "special order only"; they are the best I have ever used and CM offers a "Silver" series for moderate, recreational use. For what you specify, my first choice would be "Northern Lites" and in a size one LARGER than the fitting chart indicates....this is an old "trick" I learned the hard way for use in Kootenay snow. Google "Northern Lites" snowshoes.

Faber of Canada offers very fine shoes, especially for the price and they make the best "babiche" shoes I have ever seen/used, I highly recommend them, both their traditional and contemporary types.

The "Tundra Lights" out of Prince are more an industrial shoe and more than you require, but, they are a fine recreation of the old "Sherpa" shoes from the '70s and I have had my "Sherpas" since '75. Probably a bit more than you need, tho'.

I would not buy any of the newer Atlas or Tubbs shoes, but, if you can find a used pair in good shape, they are, as "Chilcotin" says, an excellent shoe and they are out there, used, in good shape. Used is a good way to go if you only need these for occasional use.

I am not as much a fan of the MSR shoes as some, they work well on spring snow, but, I do not like them in deep powder. MSR is a great company and I have gear from them that is over 30 yrs. old, used a lot and still is good, but, their shoes never have been " my cup of tea", each to his/her own.

Look at "Northern Lites", "Faber" and used US made "Atlas" or, if feeling "rich" maybe get some "Crescent Moons" and have fun, snowshoeing is about the MOST relaxing sport I know of and gives one a good "workout". HTH and, I have some good, old Sherpas you can buy cheap, if interested.

Angel
12-24-2009, 08:30 AM
Ya the wife and I are also looking for a pair of snow shoes, looks like a great work out.

Squirrelnuts
12-24-2009, 09:15 AM
Canadian Tire has Tubbs "Adventure Series" shoes on sale for under $150. I bought a pair a couple years ago as a quick fix to get me through the winter (my daily drivers broke) and they lasted the rest of that winter and all of last winter. This is heavy use, in the timber, every day. Pretty impressive for something that I thought I'd maybe get a month out of.

Anyway, they're worth a look and if you're just using them occasionally for recreation I'm sure they'd be fine. The 30" version is likely all you need.

If you're looking for a more serious pair of 'shoes there's another thread from a month or so ago here: http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42486

ChrisL
12-24-2009, 05:19 PM
there are many different kinds of snow shoes... I have th Atlas, the MSR are extreamly nice and you can get attachments for the deeper snow.

If you are looking for yourself, pick the ones that are going to support the style of snowshoeing (there are running, hiking and trapping styles) and support your weight.

The Atlas shoes I got a smoking deal on and that is the only reason They live at my house. If i was paying full pop the MSR ones are my first choice. (they have ice cleates around the edges and the foot wrap is the most comfortable)

there are a bunch of local (within BC) that make and sell thier own snowshoes, I have used a pair that were made in PG and they did not do anything for me but many love them.

Go to your local ski hill and they will have a snowshow rental place with lots of different kinds. Try some out, you may like some of the other brands better then myself.

If you are looking for just some basic rec snowhowing in DEEP pow then go with the old style ones (trapper style) because they will float you on the snow but you have to walk a little bowl legged.

Hope it helps

Dutchie

I agree. I use the MSR ones (I'm on the coast). In deep powder like you find in the interior, I find they don't have enough flotation for me and a big overnight pack. But they are way easier to walk in than the bigger ones. And much better on slippery side hills :mrgreen:

Chris.

wrenchpuller
12-25-2009, 09:39 PM
As mentioned already the Sherpa claw is a great all-round snowshoe. If you are near an army surplus store you could possibly get your hand on a pair of magnesium snowshoes. They are very light and extremely durable.