PDA

View Full Version : Bison access route, the free one

BlacktailStalker
12-23-2009, 01:30 PM
I'm curious, this trail around the rip off reservation, is it possible to improve this trail to the extent that people do not NEED to pass through the res ?

300win
12-23-2009, 01:50 PM
:confused:Put this post out before, just wondering how much the natives charge to cross there land and how they are to deal with:confused:

Mik
12-23-2009, 01:53 PM
Of coarse its possible, but who's gonna do it? and when it gets done, the indians will mosty likely dig it up?????? (this is just a thought)

d6dan
12-23-2009, 02:53 PM
I thought its a ranch, not a Indian Reserve. Its owned by the Blueberry Indian band.?.
This has come up on other threads..I'm sure the trail needs TLC, but who's going to do it?. Hell, there's no money in the MOE or in General revenue for such sillyness:shock:. Maybe all those on UI or welfare could use a job?:idea:. At least this way Revenue Canada would get their tax money:oops:.

YukonJack
12-23-2009, 03:01 PM
I thought its a ranch, not a Indian Reserve. Its owned by the Blueberry Indian band.?.
This has come up on other threads..I'm sure the trail needs TLC, but who's going to do it?. Hell, there's no money in the MOE or in General revenue for such sillyness:shock:. Maybe all those on UI or welfare could use a job?:idea:. At least this way Revenue Canada would get their tax money:oops:.

Revenue Canada get's plenty of it already. Shame on you for not knowing that! :mrgreen:

BearStump
12-23-2009, 03:05 PM
If anyone from the gov't does it there will be a toll booth set up anyway.

Will
12-23-2009, 06:46 PM
If anyone from the gov't does it there will be a toll both set up anyway.
If Bison hunting was an Olympic event they'd likely Pave it........:rolleyes:

bridger
12-23-2009, 06:56 PM
the forest service built this trail years ago but haven't maintained it. there is another trail in the same area that is slightly longer but usually in better shape. it isn't a quad trail but you can use it for sleds or horses. when you come around the base of pink mtn and cross the rig road go up the road about a half mile. there is a seismeic line that turns to the left and crosses elbow creek take it and cross the creek and you will hit another cutline paralleling the mtn turn left and you will come out at the gate on the far end of the ranch same as the quad trail.

gary murray
12-23-2009, 07:11 PM
X2. The government wont act unless they somehow get a piece of the pie. :-D

wrenchpuller
12-25-2009, 09:35 PM
My hunting partner and I got a grizz in that area this fall. We went around the ranch. The "local" ranch owners are building cabins back in there so it will be packed with local and non-local hunters. I heard they were charging 175$ per person to pass through the ranch. If there is an emergency and you have to go back out to the highway and come back to get your equip, they will charge another 175$.

cwocarsten
12-26-2009, 01:18 AM
Yeh, Vern charges $175 per head. When we used to go up it was a 50 min ride around the ranch. But since then there has been a slide and you still end up cutting across the ranch. Just a note the natives did not start this charge. The caucasion guy that owned it B4 them was hosing hunters for a long time. As for the cabins being built I heard there was an outside interest that wanted to lease their guide territory and if that went through part of the deal is no one gets through the ranch. That area is hunted hard and unless you have horses the only reason to hunt in that area now is to have a Bison draw. Yeah there is lots of them but they have been pushing other game out of there. Otherwise there are far better areas to hunt nearby and you will still have your $175 for beer & gas.

leadpillproductions
12-26-2009, 01:20 AM
is the trail also called chicken creek

bridger
12-26-2009, 04:07 AM
is the trail also called chicken creek

no chicken creek is in the sikanni drainage in the other zone.

leadpillproductions
12-26-2009, 10:39 AM
no chicken creek is in the sikanni drainage in the other zone.
thanks bridger-

Fraink
12-26-2009, 02:33 PM
The slide did not affect the trail as far as I know, the trail to the halfway drainage cuts left before you get to the slide. it is about 45 min around the ranch and can get rough with the traffic. But I would still rather travel longer than pay 350 (175x2). We even pulled all the meat from a bison bull out in one go, using a good skimmer behind a 500 skandik.

7mag700
12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Any improvement would likely involve a bridge at the creek. The rest of it is fine, at least in cold (ish) weather, although time consuming.

7m7

300win
01-02-2010, 02:22 PM
My hunting partner and I got a grizz in that area this fall. We went around the ranch. The "local" ranch owners are building cabins back in there so it will be packed with local and non-local hunters. I heard they were charging 175$ per person to pass through the ranch. If there is an emergency and you have to go back out to the highway and come back to get your equip, they will charge another 175$.

$175/person, WOW!!!!!!!!!! how legal is that?????:confused:

303Brit
01-02-2010, 03:41 PM

Well the way I see it there are two basic options, a bunch of hunters get together and do it themselves for all hunters. Option B the Gov't does it and regulates the access with a toll, which then can be redirected into maintaining the trail. I'm sure the toll would be less then $175/head, the problem is everybody wants something for nothing.

I believe BTS is looking more inline with option A, as it is the easiest to organize and actually accomplish. Not trying to type for you BTS

4pointhunter
01-02-2010, 09:31 PM
went there 2 years ago it was $175 per bison draw access fee, and $60 a night for a very nice big cabin its well worth the 175 then quading an extra hour each way in -40 weather,when you can leave the cabin and be hunting in 5 minutes

kastles
01-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Sounds like another roadblock site in the future :)

bridger
01-02-2010, 10:55 PM
no matter what the access fee is it is important to remember the trail goes through private land abd at least the present owners will allow hunters to go through the ranch. the previous owner kept people out of the upper halfway for 25 years by not allowing access to anyone other than the non resident hunters he had booked and in those days there was no public quad trail around the ranch. So i guess in one way the present situation is better than what we had before.

Goliath
01-03-2010, 12:02 AM
no matter what the access fee is it is important to remember the trail goes through private land abd at least the present owners will allow hunters to go through the ranch. the previous owner kept people out of the upper halfway for 25 years by not allowing access to anyone other than the non resident hunters he had booked and in those days there was no public quad trail around the ranch. So i guess in one way the present situation is better than what we had before.

I agree.

The easy "access" (if that's what folks call it) is merely a strip of private land that happens to be vehicle friendly. Sometimes, the natives will let you buy your way in, sometimes not.

In an odd way, the access is better now than it use to be, but IMHO with the native's mult-annual shoot-anything-that-moves rituals (except bison) it's a waste of time. As for bison, yeah there's a bunch there, but there are better places to cancel your tag. I'm not trying to discourage anyone from their dream to hunt bison, but let me assure you, bison are not majical mysterical beasts that favor only this local. If I had a nickle for every bison I could have shot in zone A or B, with much better access, I'd have a hundred dollars worth of nickles. :wink:

longshotz
01-03-2010, 02:17 PM
Perhaps off the topic some, but it just occurred to me that perhaps we should charge the Indian band a fee on the public roads (that we as citizens own) to access "their" land.
Money would be used to maintain public roads.
Or, alternatively, set up road blocks.
If they can, why can't we?
We are all equal........right.(?)

dutchie
01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Perhaps off the topic some, but it just occurred to me that perhaps we should charge the Indian band a fee on the public roads (that we as citizens own) to access "their" land.

I understand what you are saying but it is a bit of a defeatist attitude.

2 wrongs don't make a right (altho I would like it to sometimes!)

Dutchie

bridger
01-04-2010, 05:19 AM

road blocks on public roads should be dealt with in swift and decisive action by the rcmp or armed forces imo, but private land is private land. picture yourself owning that ranch and having a steady stream of quads, sleds, pickups, and horses going through your yard on a daily basis during hunting season. pretty disruptive and I wonder how many landowners would want the hassle. not defending it just giving another point of view.

bucktrack
01-04-2010, 12:52 PM
If you don't like it, don't go there, besides its cheaper to buy a nice tender beefer instead. hey if you want to make a sport of it ask the farmer if you can put a stalk on one of his cows, shoot it and drag it out with your atv. Kind of like bison hunting. Just big wild cows!