PDA

View Full Version : Sitka Gear

dave_83golf
12-22-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey guys,

Im looking at buying a new Sitka suit after christmas and have some questions. I plan on hunting moose in Smithers, Deer in Kamloops, Elk in the east kootneys, and Blacktail on the island. Of course this is over the next 10 years, but with the money im spending on the Sitka I plan on having it until I die, or grow so fat that it doesnt fit anymore.

Would you buy the 90% waterproof, or the Warm suit? Bib and jacket, or pants and jacket, keeping in mind that the pants come with suspenders built in.

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,
And a Merry Christmas to ALL!!!!

Dave

No Tag Soup Please
12-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I have the 90% with the pants and the jacket. Wouldn't buy anything else unless your still hunting. Hunted in Clearwater this novermber and it was about -10 and walking around I was extremelly warm wearing just a turtle neck and long johns under it.

Its sweet stuff, super quiet and it's really tear resistant. Falling on rocks, sticks and climbing barbed wire fences and I havnt ripped it or snagged it yet. I think you'll love it.

todbartell
12-22-2009, 10:44 PM
90%, with CORE base layer for early season/high activity hunting, TRAVERSE base layers for colder weather/less active hunting. Keep in mind the 90% & Celsius lines both are not waterPROOF. They do have DWR repellent which works, but you will get wet in a downpour or walking through wet brush all day. They do make a waterproof line called the Nimbus, but its noisy.

great stuff, but expensive...

dave_83golf
12-22-2009, 11:15 PM
cheers Gents

bridger
12-23-2009, 08:03 AM
how good is their waterproof line? i have heard it is good but haven't talked with anyone that has used it.

12-23-2009, 09:38 AM
I believe their waterproof gear is real Goretex with taped seams; can't get any morw waterproof than that and still be breatheable... Can't get any more noisy either unfortunately. You better be 500 yards from anything you want to shoot if it is dry ;)

dirty sanchez
12-23-2009, 05:49 PM
check out "rivers west" stuff.half the price of sitka and water proof

Maxx
12-23-2009, 06:03 PM
check out "rivers west" stuff.half the price of sitka and water proof

what stores are carrying rivers west?

Sitkaspruce
12-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Go to the Riverswest.com sight and do some research under dealers.

I have the trail pants and ambush jacket and it is bone dry, warm and tough. However it is not for all day hiking. They have light stuff that I am hoping to get at Xmas, but if not, I will be ordering it.

Cheers

SS

4point&over
12-24-2009, 10:16 AM
I was pretty hot on the Sitka stuff earlier this summer, did a lot of research and almost spent the money on it until my buddy bought some before our moose trip to Chetwyn. I held off and let him be the test dummy, he bought the 90% pants and the Celcius jackets with the traverse base layer. Everything looked really nice and was super quite in the bush, but he was freezing in it the whole time we were up there. I don't know if it was the gear or the guy, but my buddy rides snow mobiles and harleys and he said he's never been so cold, and I didn't even think it was cold up there. From talking to one of the Sitka reps at the Sportsman show last year, he said, "it works like a car, if you own a mercedes and you put honda parts under the hood, it's not going to perform like a mercedes!" So be prepared to buy all the base layers along with the outer gear to have a comfortable hunt in cold weather.

Tuffcity
12-24-2009, 12:15 PM
One of the nice things about Sitka gear is that it fits properly. Little things like articulated knees are a huge plus if you do a lot of hiking, and having clothes that don't fit like a sack is nice.

If you're looking for a less costly under layer have a look at the Eddie Bauer "Ascent" line of merino wool. If it is chilly out wearing a pair of droopy azz cotton stanfields under quality outdoor gear ain't gonna cut it! :)

RC

dave_83golf
12-24-2009, 01:02 PM
Awesome, great information! I really appreciate it.

swampthing
01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Get it and dont look back. If your a hiker it breaths very well. I use mine in august and in december. The layers work. I use browning drylight over it in the wet stuff. A pair of kenetrek mountain extreems on your feet and hunting will be a comfortable place.

bridger
01-12-2010, 11:09 PM
what i am looking for is something that will keep me dry in the rain all day traveling with a pack string. have tried lots of stuff on the market and thought the water proof sitka gear might be the answer. not worried about noise in this instance. anyone use it horseback?

Devilbear
01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
I called them in "kalleeforney" when it was first announced and they really LISTEN to potential customers, it is nice gear and while I have tried on a lot of it, I have not bought any. I have a whack of clothing and gear now and I really prefer merino wool to any other clothing in the bush. I use Microtex when it is warm and dry and a woolen "system" I worked out in colder weather, each to his own.

For what Rich wants, the best I have found for "heavy duty" raingear is the soft, stretchy Helly Hansen stuff called "Impertech" and it comes in my favourite hunting colour, "garbage bag green" as well as camo and other colours. I have one of those long oilskin coats and have had various oilskin jackets and pants, but, they are all too stiff and heavy and often chafe ya where ya do not want to be chafed!

bowhunterbruce
01-13-2010, 07:10 AM
i got a complete set of sitka for xmas and i'll tell ya its an incredible fit,core top and bottoms,ascent pants,traverse shirt and the jetstream jacket and shooter gloves.after putting it all on then going outside in minus 12 c i am impressed at how warm everything is even though i was just standing still and not working it like i would on a hunt.the only thing that got cold was my ears.as for how water proof it is gonna be ,i will see when i'm out there in the wet stuff and i too like others here have an oilskin that i like to wear when its wet and windy so although the new stuff i got is for mainly early to mid season im prepared for the ugly stuff should it show up.
i cant wait to see just how good the optifade works as a camo against how animals see us ,it just might help aid in getting into bow range a little easier.
bruce

Maxx
01-13-2010, 08:12 AM
what i am looking for is something that will keep me dry in the rain all day traveling with a pack string. have tried lots of stuff on the market and thought the water proof sitka gear might be the answer. not worried about noise in this instance. anyone use it horseback?

Have you looked at the Rivers West , Trail pants?

digger dogger
01-13-2010, 04:23 PM

i don't have sitka, i have taiga, i have been in the worst weather up north and stayed completly dry. the only way i would switch is if someone bought a set for me, which probably is never gonna happen. it's worth it's weight in gold. www.taigaworks.ca
f***in unreal gortex, they're sleeping bags are the shizle, aswell