PDA

View Full Version : Can a globe-trotting big game hunter qualify as a "BC Resident"?

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Reading the Shockey fiasco, the question arises as to whether or not he actually spends enough time in BC to qualify as a BC resident, and apply for LEH bison tags. What do you think?

"resident" means

(a) a person who
(i) is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and
(ii) has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act, or

(b) a person who
(i) is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, but whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and
(ii) has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act;

30.06 Hunter
12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
*****. Getting pretty sad and silly dude.

ChilliwackWinchester
12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
How much time does he spend out of province? I know he's gone a lot, but I don't think we could answer the question of "should he qualify as a resident" unless we know the exact amount of time that he is away for.

30.06 Hunter
12-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I think the witch hunt is getting a bit out of hand.

f350ps
12-21-2009, 06:47 PM
Other than you who gives a rats ass! Dude, you need a hobby, or is this it? :confused: K

Ozone
12-21-2009, 06:48 PM
Holy ****, Let It Go Already

sawmill
12-21-2009, 06:49 PM
lock it up.

Ozone
12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
lock it up.

The thread or FD?:wink:

bowhunterbruce
12-21-2009, 06:53 PM
this sounds like its gonna be a thread where alot of pro's and cons are thrown around from here to iternity.
the bottom line is that jim is a resident of bc ,his primary residence is on vancouver island and his business is conducted from his address.even though he travels around the world doing what most of us would give our right or left nut to do,it does take up alot of his yearly time away from home.
it would be no different then a salesman traveling around the world selling his wares to make his company better.
he employ's canadians,he pays canadian tax's and pays his bc property taxs etc.
any form of negative thinking that he is not a bc resident would only be comming from the insecure negative lips of those who are jelous or overly envious of the position he has made for himself.
respectfully
bruce

Kody94
12-21-2009, 06:54 PM
I honestly don't know if it meets the letter of the law but, as long as he maintains his permanent residence here, he should be considered a resident under the Wildlife Act.

I am sure he pays income tax as a BC resident.

I know a lot of folks that travel extensively on business that would be in the same situation. I would not think its fair for them to essentially be a resident of no-where, when there primary residence, property taxes and provincial income taxes are paid in BC.

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 06:55 PM
Do recent months count towards the 6 months that he must spend the majority of in BC to qualify? A quick scan of his blog:

November - no, in SK and Sweden
October - no, in Europe
September - no, in Yukon
August - probably
July - no, in USA, Aberbaijan, Ssese Island
June - no, in Africa
May - probably, in Mexico but guiding bears on VI
April - no, in Africa and Mexico
March - no, in Ethiopia, Pakistan, and Sudan
February - yes
January - yes

So, he has 7 months of 11 where, according to his blog, he didn't spend the majority of his time in BC as required under BC LAW to qualify as a BC resident, and therefore qualify for LEHs.

Kudu
12-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Reading the Shockey fiasco, the question arises as to whether or not he actually spends enough time in BC to qualify as a BC resident, and apply for LEH bison tags. What do you think?

"resident" means

(a) a person who
(i) is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and
(ii) has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act, or

(b) a person who
(i) is not a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada, but whose only or primary residence is in British Columbia, and
(ii) has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act;

Do recent months count towards the 6 months that he must spend the majority of in BC to qualify? A quick scan of his blog:

October - no, in Europe
September - no, in Yukon
August - probably
June - no, in Africa
February - yes
January - yes

So, he has 7 months of 11 where, according to his blog, he didn't spend the majority of his time in BC as required under BC LAW to qualify as a BC resident, and therefore qualify for LEHs.

Sounds as if you're green.......with envy - old chap

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y260/Gogga2/MSN-Emoticon-154.gif

Kody94
12-21-2009, 07:01 PM

October - no, in Europe
September - no, in Yukon
August - probably
June - no, in Africa
February - yes
January - yes

You've probably got him. ;)

This is one law that I think should be more flexible though.

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
I honestly don't know if it meets the letter of the law but, as long as he maintains his permanent residence here, he should be considered a resident under the Wildlife Act.

I know a lot of folks that travel extensively on business that would be in the same situation. I would not think its fair for them to essentially be a resident of no-where, when there primary residence, property taxes and provincial income taxes are paid in BC.

Nope. Permanent residence is only the first condition to be met - the second condition one must also meet is to sojourn in BC for the majority of 6 of the 12 months of the year to be a "resident" under the Wildlife Act.

Jelvis
12-21-2009, 07:03 PM
With this country's laws and regulations and political correctness awareness, I'll leave it up to big brother to control that stuff.
If he pays the buck$ and meets one of those requirements hey, have at her and good luck.
Jel-Star

Blainer
12-21-2009, 07:08 PM
I

I know a lot of folks that travel extensively on business that would be in the same situation. I would not think its fair for them to essentially be a resident of no-where, when there primary residence, property taxes and provincial income taxes are paid in BC.and if he pays more taxes to the province than FD,who should be told they cant hunt?:wink:

martyonthewater
12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
I think the witch hunt is getting a bit out of hand.
no kidding, i only wish i was so successfull that the deskchair jockeys would feel obliged to come up with a bunch of weak $h!t to discredit me

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:11 PM
and if he pays more taxes to the province than FD,who should be told they cant hunt?:wink:

Do you think an offshore billionaire who has a business in BC and pays some tax here, but lives, for example in Hong Kong or Saudi Arabia, should be able to apply for BC LEH draws?

Blainer
12-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Do you think an offshore billionaire who has a business in BC and pays some tax here, but lives, for example in Hong Kong or Saudi Arabia, should be able to apply for BC LEH draws?if his primary residence is here,then absolutely.

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:14 PM
if his primary residence is here,then absolutely.

Even if it is against the Wildlife Act?

Ozone
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
FD are you a resident, can you prove it?

ARC
12-21-2009, 07:16 PM
To tell you the truth, one of the first things that went through my mind when I first read his buffalo hunting blog was that I was surprised he qualified as a resident.

However, I agree with others that if you have primary residency in BC, but have a job that requires travel, the rules should be relaxed. I can see why the rule is in place, but think it should be more flexible.

Jelvis
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
If he meets the minimal requirements needed and pays the fee's -- ok
---- a little cheeezzz with that WHINE lol-- the doods losin it.
Jel -- dooooood --

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:20 PM

Yep. I was in Calgary for 3 days in the past 12 months. Otherwise, I was in BC every day, where I own a permanent residence.

To tell you the truth, one of the first things that went through my mind when I first read his buffalo hunting blog was that I was surprised he qualified as a resident.

However, I agree with others that if you have primary residency in BC, but have a job that requires travel, the rules should be relaxed. I can see why the rule is in place, but think it should be more flexible.

Whether the law is kinda dumb (so might the law prohibiting the powerful muzzleloaders from hunting bison be kinda dumb) is a moot point. It's the law.

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 07:21 PM

I could actually prove it for him, if I wanted to. I could check from where he has posted from in the last year..:mrgreen::-D

But I bet CO's would look at more traditional things, like checking passport dates and flight schedules and bank/credit card transactions etc etc.

Ozone
12-21-2009, 07:25 PM
So a person is in the forces and lets say they are in Afganistan for, lets say 9 months. He comes back to BC, were he is from and is stationed. He goes and buys a licence and tags. Are you telling me you would call the COs on him?

scallywag
12-21-2009, 07:27 PM
isnt there a section on you t1 generals that your accountant ha to fill out about being out of the country or is that just about income earned outside of the country. I have an uncle who work outside of the country for most of the year and i believe it is a huge tax benefit. I wonder what Jimmy put down?? what ever the guy is a great hunter but is funny how there was all this poaching but it really sounds like the only guy who might have been breaking the law was jim himself.. I own some property in sask does that mean i can put in for resident draws there?? whatever if i could find a way to do it i would i am no angel dont tell santa i told him i wanted a LSS model 700

Blainer
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
Never said I would call the COs on Shockey, did I? I posted this thread to generate discussion. You're be far too presumptive about my motives.I believe you indicated that you had in a previous thread.
I do believe you indicated that he would be investigated as well.

Originaly Posted by Fisher-Dude:It's in the legislation itself, not the synopsis. All other species' weapons are specified by "weapon" or "rifle", whereas bison are specific to a "centrefire rifle" or "bow". Just got off the phone with the CO Service, and muzzleloaders are not centrefire rifles.

Offence — weapons

Stone Sheep Steve
12-21-2009, 07:31 PM
So a person is in the forces and lets say they are in Afganistan for, lets say 9 months. He comes back to BC, were he is from and is stationed. He goes and buys a licence and tags. Are you telling me you would call the COs on him?

I think the "who's paying your paycheck" might over-ride your "where have you been lately?"

SSS

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 07:32 PM

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I've seen a number of threads over the years with BC guys working in ALberta in the oil industry, and not qualifying for a BC resident hunting lic.

If the law applies to those average joes, no reason it shouldn't apply to traveling salesmen, businessmen that require to travel for work or hunters with good bank accounts.

I work in an area with lots of transients. If the laws are relaxed, should they get to go hunting on a resident license sooner? They do rent accommodation, so it's a permanent residence...Just dont' want to open up a can of worms too quick!:-D

d6dan
12-21-2009, 07:34 PM
isnt there a section on you t1 generals that your accountant ha to fill out about being out of the country or is that just about income earned outside of the country. I have an uncle who work outside of the country for most of the year and i believe it is a huge tax benefit. I wonder what Jimmy put down?? what ever the guy is a great hunter but is funny how there was all this poaching but it really sounds like the only guy who might have been breaking the law was jim himself.. I own some property in sask does that mean i can put in for resident draws there?? whatever if i could find a way to do it i would i am no angel dont tell santa i told him i wanted a LSS model 700

Sure you can just use someone elses mailing address in Sask. Hell I know a guy who lives in Alta, was raised here but has been there most of his adult life and keeps a address here so he can get his resident license and tags . Now thats bullshit!!!:cry:

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Never said I would call the COs on Shockey, did I? I posted this thread to generate discussion. You're be far too presumptive about my motives.

The Income Tax Act has "soujourner" rules - there's lots of fluff, but the skinny is that you must be in Canada 183 days of the year, besides other things.

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 07:35 PM

I think that there is a special provision in the WIldlife Act for RCMP and military that get transplanted. Could be wrong, but it should be there if it isn't.

Marc would probably know that, actually.

msawyer
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
My curiosity was piqued by FD's post so I did a little digging into JS's Yukon and Saskatchewan guiding operations.

With respect to the Yukon, Section 48(3) of the Yukon Wildlife Act says "An outfitter must be present in the Yukon during substantially all the times when persons are hunting in his or her outfitting concession area with guides provided by the outfitter." Given all his other outfitting activities in BC, Saskatchewan and other more far flung areas, is he in compliance with this requirement of the Yukon Wildlife Act? Ummm...

When I check the Saskatchewan legislation, specifically the The Outfitter and Guide Regulations under the Wildlife Act, I find that Section 6 states that "Any person who wishes to hold an outfitter’s licence must:
(a) in the case of an individual, be 18 years of age or older; and
(b) have a head office in Saskatchewan.

When I look at Jim Shockey's webpage, I note that his head office appears to be in Victoria BC... Ummm...

Just saying...

Mike

huntwriter
12-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Jim has a permanent residence and offices in Vancouver.

This is the 3rd. thread about the Jim Shockey witch hunt, or wild goose chase. It looks like with the hunting season closed a particular member has to much time on his hand. This is worse then tabloid media carries on about that golfer what's his name who cheated on his wife.

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I believe you indicated that you had in a previous thread.
I do believe you indicated that he would be investigated as well.

No, I said that if he gets investigated, the COs would do it, not me. I also said that it's likely that he will be under investigation...as we know, the COs frequent HBC as much as the rest of us. :wink:

Ozone
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM
He may have a numbered company he guides under in Sask

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM

That doesn't make him a BC resident.

ARC
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I've seen a number of threads over the years with BC guys working in ALberta in the oil industry, and not qualifying for a BC resident hunting lic.

If the law applies to those average joes, no reason it shouldn't apply to traveling salesmen, businessmen that require to travel for work or hunters with good bank accounts.

I work in an area with lots of transients. If the laws are relaxed, should they get to go hunting on a resident license sooner? They do rent accommodation, so it's a permanent residence...Just dont' want to open up a can of worms too quick!:-D

I see where your coming from and I don't know what the answer is. Perhaps if you have held permanent residency in BC for a certain number of years prior, you could fall under a different category, I dont know.

I know a few years ago I took some time off school to hunt and travel. I was having a great time teaching english down in Mexico. I wanted to stay for a few more months, but realized if I stayed for even a month longer I would be ineligible to qualify as a resident hunter in BC....so I came back. It was a little frustrating considering I was born and raised in BC.

Jagermeister
12-21-2009, 07:44 PM
I with FD on this one. Shockey's blog puts his residency into question.
It warrants rebuttal from Shockey to substantiate his residency since the question has been raised.
It would be easy to live in BC for a year and quailfy for a hunter number and after that get a postal address at one of the little corner kiosks which becomes your quasi home address.
And screw the green with envy crap, what pisses me are people that circumvent the law in the hope that the question is never raised. Well, the question has now been raised.

Blainer
12-21-2009, 07:46 PM
No, I said that if he gets investigated, the COs would do it, not me. I also said that it's likely that he will be under investigation...as we know, the COs frequent HBC as much as the rest of us. :wink:YOU SAID:
Originaly Posted by Fisher-Dude:
So, whatdyall think, shall we get an investigation into Shockey's choice of weapon going through the CO Service? I've pasted the posts with the evidence of the witnesses who saw his choice of weapon into Word, so we don't have to worry about changed posts.

I think it's time for Shockey to prove to the CO Service that he wasn't poaching, which according to some very well-informed individuals on this website, will be difficult for Shockey to do.

Sound like a witch hunt?

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 07:52 PM
My curiosity was piqued by FD's post so I did a little digging into JS's Yukon and Saskatchewan guiding operations.

With respect to the Yukon, Section 48(3) of the Yukon Wildlife Act says "An outfitter must be present in the Yukon during substantially all the times when persons are hunting in his or her outfitting concession area with guides provided by the outfitter." Given all his other outfitting activities in BC, Saskatchewan and other more far flung areas, is he in compliance with this requirement of the Yukon Wildlife Act? Ummm...

When I check the Saskatchewan legislation, specifically the The Outfitter and Guide Regulations under the Wildlife Act, I find that Section 6 states that "Any person who wishes to hold an outfitter’s licence must:
(a) in the case of an individual, be 18 years of age or older; and
(b) have a head office in Saskatchewan.

When I look at Jim Shockey's webpage, I note that his head office appears to be in Victoria BC... Ummm...

Just saying...

Mike

Depends what the laws in those areas say about outfitters. From what I understand in BC, the owners of the areas often hire residents to be the outfitter, and hold outfitter license, which is perfectly legal. If it's similar in Sask and Yukon, then it's perfectly legit.

Depends how the business is structured, and I would imagine that Shockey is astute enough to look into the requirements and avoid trouble.

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 07:53 PM
A quick show of hands - how many of those who are supporting Shockey have bitched about how the LEH system sucks and that they never get the draws they want? Yet, those same people support allowing people who don't qualify for the LEH draw to apply anyway, and perhaps those non-qualifying persons get the draw that the bitchers wanted? WTF? :mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Sound like a witch hunt?

Are you unfamiliar with the term "shall we"? :wink:

FYI - it's a question, not a statement of action.

todbartell
12-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Jim Shockey - don't **** with the intraweb, cuz the intraweb ****s back 8)

DV-67
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Fisher-Dude "Reading the Shockey fiasco, the question arises as to whether or not he actually spends enough time in BC to qualify as a BC resident, and apply for LEH bison tags. What do you think?"

Never said I would call the COs on Shockey, did I? I posted this thread to generate discussion. You're be far too presumptive about my motives.

LMAO

You contradict yourself all over the place. First post of the thread you say this is wether JS is a resident or not. Then you try to say you posted this thread to generate discussion.

So which is it?

Did you apply for the Bison tag and not get it or something?

I really can't figure out your motive with this witch hunt your on.

todbartell
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
personally, I found his Hilarious Hunts dvd to not be as hilarious as I had hoped, so Im IN on the witch hunt

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 08:16 PM
Fisher-Dude "Reading the Shockey fiasco, the question arises as to whether or not he actually spends enough time in BC to qualify as a BC resident, and apply for LEH bison tags. What do you think?"

LMAO

You contradict yourself all over the place. First post of the thread you say this is wether JS is a resident or not. Then you try to say you posted this thread to generate discussion.

So which is it?

Did you apply for the Bison tag and not get it or something?

I really can't figure out your motive with this witch hunt your on.

Contradiction? I think not. I asked "What do you think?" Is there something else I could have said that would have made it clearer that it was to generate discussion than "What do you think?"

I think the real contradictor is YOU in your biased reading of my first post! :-P

PS - I drew a bison tag once, so you can rule that out. I didn't go on the hunt because I heard there were too many poaching wanna-be-residents-but-not-really-residents hunting the area with illegal firearms. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

kyleklassen
12-21-2009, 08:17 PM
A quick show of hands - how many of those who are supporting Shockey have bitched about how the LEH system sucks and that they never get the draws they want? Yet, those same people support allowing people who don't qualify for the LEH draw to apply anyway, and perhaps those non-qualifying persons get the draw that the bitchers wanted? WTF? :mrgreen: amen and hallelugah brother.

Buck
12-21-2009, 08:20 PM
A quick show of hands - how many of those who are supporting Shockey have bitched about how the LEH system sucks and that they never get the draws they want? Yet, those same people support allowing people who don't qualify for the LEH draw to apply anyway, and perhaps those non-qualifying persons get the draw that the bitchers wanted? WTF

I think we need a Poll have at it Fisher-dude

DV-67
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
Contradiction? I think not. I asked "What do you think?" Is there something else I could have said that would have made it clearer that it was to generate discussion than "What do you think?"

I think the real contradictor is YOU in your biased reading of my first post! :-P

If this wasn't part of your witch hunt you would not have mentioned wether JS was a resident or not and just asked the question in general.

Carry on though it is funny to watch.

THE SWEDE
12-21-2009, 08:21 PM
He wears stinky socks on his hands..Hang him

quadrakid
12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Some may think FD is on a witch hunt, i don,t know his reasons for bringing this residency question up. That being said i think it,s a valid question.

Jelvis
12-21-2009, 08:25 PM
As long as this fella, Shockey is positively promoting our province of BC. and not bad mouthing it, he's accepted here, but if he is negative in any words or makes false accusations of any of BC's hunters or our BC system, hey then it's different, grab your guns and head back east where you came from.
jElvi$ we can't go on together with suss pish ous minds - Big Brother knows --
Thank you, thank you very much -

BlacktailStalker
12-21-2009, 08:25 PM

Agreed .

OutWest
12-21-2009, 08:26 PM
I think this has to be laid to rest. Shockey is not the only guy doing this. Just the most high profile. FD you have no way of actually proving just how many days he has or has not spent in and out of BC.

THE SWEDE
12-21-2009, 08:34 PM
How can you guys defend him...Hes a Monster.He talks shit about resident hunters..Becasue he had to work a little harder..Maybe he should of hired a guide like he does 90% of the time..Maybe he's not the great hunter that all of his fans and he himself thinks he is..Hmmm

Jelvis
12-21-2009, 08:35 PM
That is correct how would anyone other than slim jim know how many days the shockster stayed in B.C. and who gives a shat, really. If he lives here.
That's why we have folks in positions in place to authorize and regulate this kind of law, and I trust both BC and Canadian authorities, always have always will.
jel -- In BC I trust.

blackwater
12-21-2009, 08:36 PM
From what I understand in BC, the owners of the areas often hire residents to be the outfitter, and hold outfitter license, which is perfectly legal. If it's similar in Sask and Yukon, then it's perfectly legit.

I think to be a guide outfitter you have to be Canadian. To hold a Guiding Territory Certificate, you must be a Canadian or permanent resident of Canada....despite what often happens I guess, with foreign owners having a resident front man...which in the strictest sense isn't actually legal.

30.06 Hunter
12-21-2009, 08:37 PM

This is the 3rd. thread about the Jim Shockey witch hunt, or wild goose chase. It looks like with the hunting season closed a particular member has to much time on his hand. This is worse then tabloid media carries on about that golfer what's his name who cheated on his wife.
You got that right. Just like the tabloid hangers on who have to get their 5 minutes of fame from someone elses celebrity.

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 08:40 PM
I think this has to be laid to rest. Shockey is not the only guy doing this. Just the most high profile. FD you have no way of actually proving just how many days he has or has not spent in and out of BC.

This is a discussion forum, and we discuss things. I haven't seen anything here that would make me lock the thread. Mostly questions and speculations..

If this is "not the only guy doing this" and you know of people breaking the residency requirements, you should contact the CO service.

FD cannot prove anything, of course, nor would he be the one investigating the issue, but it is an interesting question. The CO service certainly has the means to confirm residency requirements of any person with a BC HL, and it would be completely up to them to look into it if they desired. As with the ML legality question, I suspect that this will go nowhere except to change the bison requirements to allow ML rifles.

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I think to be a guide outfitter you have to be Canadian. To hold a Guiding Territory Certificate, you must be a Canadian or permanent resident of Canada....despite what often happens I guess, with foreign owners having a resident front man...which in the strictest sense isn't actually legal.

I really have never looked into the laws enough to make an informed comment, but I think it's legit in BC for non Canadians to own an outfit and have a resident hold the outfitter certificate. No idea about Yukon or Sask.

ChilliwackWinchester
12-21-2009, 08:46 PM
It's funny how many people are saying this is just a witch hunt and that this has to end , yet they keep on reading and continue to post.
Tired of this post?... Don't click the link anymore! I on the other hand quite like the drama and will continue to read... maybe even post.

ChilliwackWinchester
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM
****bump****

THE SWEDE
12-21-2009, 08:50 PM
LOL.I just had a brilliant idea..I think this spring a bunch of us RESIDENT hunters should descend on his Island Territory like a plague of camo clad, Budwiser drinking hillbillies and nuke every furry black bast,ard we see..Just a thought

todbartell
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
:mrgreen:

lets invite Danny, he will be good for a few dozen

ChilliwackWinchester
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
LOL.I just had a brilliant idea..I think this spring a bunch of us RESIDENT hunters should descend on his Island Territory like a plague of camo clad, Budwiser drinking hillbillies and nuke every furry black bast,ard we see..Just a thought

now that's the drama I was talking about

frenchbar
12-21-2009, 08:54 PM
LOL.I just had a brilliant idea..I think this spring a bunch of us RESIDENT hunters should descend on his Island Territory like a plague of camo clad, Budwiser drinking hillbillies and nuke every furry black ******* we see..Just a thought
Then in the fall hit Anna land:mrgreen: Clean up on some 6 pointers!

THE SWEDE
:mrgreen:

lets invite Danny, he will be good for a few dozen

I wonder how "Shirley" is doin

Ozone
and nuke every furry black bast,ard we see..Just a thought

Theres more of them than there are of you, lol.

Will
12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
http://comps.fotosearch.com/bigcomps/THK/THK013/c0042348.jpg

ElkMasterC
12-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Basic Eligibility Criteria

The following criteria must be met to proceed with an application for a Guide Outfitter Licence:
Must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (i.e. a landed immigrant).
Must satisfy the Regional Fish and Wildlife Manager, within the region you intend to acquire a guide area, that you have a working knowledge of the Wildlife Act and the Commercial Activities Regulation, B.C. Reg. 338/82, Division 1, Guides. This is done through the successful completion of the Guide Outfitter exam.
A guide outfitter shall carry, in full force and effect, public liability insurance in an amount of not less than $2, 000 000 that is, applicable to his guiding business, in effect at the time of application for an annual licence, and effective for the term of the annual licence period or for the period for which he has paid an annual fee.
Must have permission of the guiding territory certicate holder(s).To be licenced as an assistant guide outfitter in British Columbia, the following criteria must be met (an exam is not required):
Must be nineteen (19) years of age or older.
Must be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (i.e. a landed immigrant).
Must have a guide outfitter willing to employ you to guide hunters within the guiding territory under his or her jurisdiction.Canadian Citizen or Resident, that's about it for Residency requirements.

This is for a Guide/Outfitter License, and not LEH eligibility however.

burger
12-21-2009, 09:05 PM
Some may think FD is on a witch hunt, i don,t know his reasons for bringing this residency question up. That being said i think it,s a valid question.

I agree completely a valid question for sure.

Are we all not bound by the same law??
Should we all not conform to the same laws??

Whether the law is silly or not is not for us to decide at this time.If he has not been in BC for the legally required time then no he should not qualify as a BC resident. Just because he promotes the hunting in BC,is a good ambassador, is "famous", does not make it any less illegal. I could care less who he is or what he does if a law is being broken and he is blogging about all the places he's been and in looking it is obvious that he is not in BC for the required legal time(unless all his stories are made up but I highly doubt that) then I say bust him.

My stance would be no less or more if it was my neigbour. Doesn't matter the law is the law.

eastkoot
12-21-2009, 09:12 PM
EMC.. Those are requirements to be a GO but there is nothing limiting an alien non-res from aquiring and owning a GO territory. He just can't be a GO..Lots of US guys owning GO territories in B.C. They just hire the local coolest dude with the biggest stetson to be their GO bitch..

ElkMasterC
12-21-2009, 09:13 PM
EMC.. Those are requirements to be a GO but there is nothing limiting an alien non-res from aquiring and owning a GO territory. He just can't be a GO..

I didn't say otherwise.

ElkMasterC
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Straight from the Wildlife Act:

Limited entry hunting authorization

16 (1) The minister, by regulation, may
(a) limit hunting for a species of wildlife in an area of British Columbia,
(b) provide for limited entry hunting authorizations to be issued by means of a lottery or other method of random selection among applicants,
(b.1) provide for exceptions that the minister considers appropriate to the random selection among applicants in conducting a lottery or other method of random selection among applicants under paragraph (b), and
(c) do other things necessary for the purposes of this section.
(2) An application fee collected under a lottery or other method referred to in subsection (1) must be paid into the general fund of the consolidated revenue fund.
(3) In making regulations under subsection (1), the minister may define classes of applicants and make different regulations for different classes of applicants.

I wonder if that means that the Minister can assign LEH's to certain folks at will?

Also, what's the "consolidated revenue fund"?
Is that just General revenues for all branches?

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
EMC, I believe that was the section they put in to enact the "reduced odds" method in the draw.

"Consolidated revenue" is that shit-pit, general revenue. HCTF funds must be paid into GR, then paid out of GR to the HCTF within 30 days. A circle-jerk, but Gordo collects interest for up to 30 days on it.

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Basic Eligibility Criteria

The following criteria must be met to proceed with an application for a Guide Outfitter Licence:
Must satisfy the Regional Fish and Wildlife Manager, within the region you intend to acquire a guide area, that you have a working knowledge of the Wildlife Act and the Commercial Activities Regulation, B.C. Reg. 338/82, Division 1, Guides. This is done through the successful completion of the Guide Outfitter exam.
A guide outfitter shall carry, in full force and effect, public liability insurance in an amount of not less than $2, 000 000 that is, applicable to his guiding business, in effect at the time of application for an annual licence, and effective for the term of the annual licence period or for the period for which he has paid an annual fee.
Must have permission of the guiding territory certicate holder(s).To be licenced as an assistant guide outfitter in British Columbia, the following criteria must be met (an exam is not required):
Must be nineteen (19) years of age or older.
Must have a guide outfitter willing to employ you to guide hunters within the guiding territory under his or her jurisdiction.Canadian Citizen or Resident, that's about it for Residency requirements.

This is for a Guide/Outfitter License, and not LEH eligibility however.

How about Sask and Yukon? Yukon requires a 1 yr residency before you get a residents lic, IIRC. No clue about their outfitter rules, and again, it may be a moot point depending on how the company is structured.

Kody94
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
How about Sask and Yukon? Yukon requires a 1 yr residency before you get a residents lic, IIRC. No clue about their outfitter rules, and again, it may be a moot point depending on how the company is structured.

Yukon and NWT are two years of residency before you qualify for a resident hunting licence.

blackwater
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
EMC.. Those are requirements to be a GO but there is nothing limiting an alien non-res from aquiring and owning a GO territory. He just can't be a GO..Lots of US guys owning GO territories in B.C. They just hire the local coolest dude with the biggest stetson to be their GO bitch..

I must be reading a different set of rules:

Guiding Territory Certificates:

After June 15, 2009, you do not necessarily have to be a guide to hold a Guiding Territory Certificate.
To hold a Guiding Territory Certificate, you must be a person or group of people aged 19 years or older who are Canadians or permanent residents of Canada.
Certificates can only be held by "natural" persons, not corporations.
Transfer of certificates or an interest in a certificate is subject to approval by a Regional Manager.Not disputing that lots of foreigners own the business...just not supposed too.

Brew
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Time for the mods to delete these threads.

burger
12-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Time for the mods to delete these threads.

Why may I ask??

Ron.C
12-21-2009, 09:48 PM
Well to start, I am not a huge fan of Jim Shockey videos. I like some, but some just bore me. Having said that, I am not sure if Shockey maintains a permanent residence here in BC or somewhere else in Canada, but I'm sure a guy running a buisness of such high profile in the public eye is on the up and up. You may not agree with the legalities, but that really doesn't matter. And why should any of us give a shit how often he is away from home and off hunting all over the globe. You can bet your ass that if most of you had his buisness, you'd be doing the same thing. Finally, I'm a serving regluar force member of our military and there have been years where I have been out of Canada and away from home for better than half the year. Does that mean I shouldn't be classed as a resident and loose my opprotunity to hunt and apply for LEH's during those years????

Hank Hunter
12-21-2009, 09:50 PM
Yukon and NWT are two years of residency before you qualify for a resident hunting licence.

Wrong ! A Yukon Resident is defined as a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant whose main residence has been in the Yukon for at least 12 months before applying for a licence, and who has been physically present in the Yukon for at least 185 days during that period. 2 years in the Nwt

quadrakid
12-21-2009, 09:58 PM
page six of the regs:A member of the Canadian Armed Forces enrolled in continuing full time service is eligable to obtain a HUNTER NUMBER after making his/her residence inBC for 30 days immediately before applying for the licence/HUNTER Number

Kody94
12-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Wrong ! A Yukon Resident is defined as a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant whose main residence has been in the Yukon for at least 12 months before applying for a licence, and who has been physically present in the Yukon for at least 185 days during that period. 2 years in the Nwt

Interesting. I'll stand corrected. When I looked into it a while back (1998?) I was sure it was two years. My folks and brother live in Whitehorse.

martyonthewater
12-21-2009, 10:04 PM
page six of the regs:A member of the Canadian Armed Forces enrolled in continuing full time service is eligable to obtain a HUNTER NUMBER after making his/her residence inBC for 30 days immediately before applying for the licence/HUNTER Number
And so it should be, if not better, welcome home soldier-thanks

Jelvis
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
The person in the military knows gun safety and shoots tons of guns rifles and even machine guns. So I'm sure they would be highly qualified for a hunter number to go into the bush. The soldiers train living in the bush too, it's fantastic, I love it. Canadian Forces rock on !
Jel - CAF - Strong and Proud - Pray for our Soldiers everyday -

Dirty
12-21-2009, 10:11 PM
Jim Shockey's punishment should be a haircut. He looks like a bag full of douche. I am in on the witch hunt too. Let's tie him up and let a Pacific Rim Cave Bear give it to him. Where is Gatehouse anyways?

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 10:12 PM

Good find Quadra! http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

ElkMasterC
12-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Jim Shockey's punishment should be a haircut. He looks like a bag full of douche.

I just....JUST saved my keyboard from a Sleeman's shower.

Hank Hunter
12-21-2009, 10:16 PM
And so it should be, if not better, welcome home soldier-thanks

Ron C thank you. You will always be a true Canadian resident

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 10:17 PM

Thought so. Good to hear.

Interesting. I'll stand corrected. When I looked into it a while back (1998?) I was sure it was two years. My folks and brother live in Whitehorse.

I'm prety sure NWT and Nunavut are still 2 years, now that I think abotu it a bit.

Ron.C
12-21-2009, 10:18 PM

I think you may have misunderstood my point. This reg that you quoted is for full time CF members who were residents of other provinces/countries and are being posted into BC, therefore making BC their primary residence.

What I was refering to was if I am already a resident of BC and deploy for the majority of the year away BC, I don't loose my BC resident status to hunt as I maintained a residence in BC while I was gone. As it should be

If I don't loose my status as a BC resident, why should anyone else if they maintain their primary residence in BC and spend a great deal of time out of BC on "buisness", regardless of what that buisness is?

I just don't think your choice of profession should make any difference as long as you are maintaining a primary residence in BC.

burger
12-21-2009, 10:31 PM
I think you may have misunderstood my point. This reg that you quoted is for full time CF members who were residents of other provinces/countries and are being posted into BC, therefore making BC their primary residence.

What I was refering to was if I am already a resident of BC and deploy for the majority of the year away BC, I don't loose my BC resident status to hunt as I maintained a residence in BC while I was gone. As it should be

Are you sure you can? Going to your local hunting shop and buying a licence does not mean its legal.

If I don't loose my status as a BC resident, why should anyone else if they maintain their primary residence in BC and spend a great deal of time out of BC on "buisness", regardless of what that buisness is?

I just don't think your choice of profession should make any difference as long as you are maintaining a primary residence in BC.

I understand where you are coming from but we could all interpret the law how we want and we all could say "well thats silly" but it still doesn't change what is law. Right now here in BC. As an armed forces member working for the country and being deployed where your "told" then I think that might grant you an exeption but I do not know that for certain.

Fisher-Dude
12-21-2009, 10:35 PM
Another interesting section:

Proof of citizenship or residence

105 In a prosecution for an offence under this Act, if it is alleged that the defendant was not a Canadian citizen or a resident, the onus is on the defendant to prove that he or she was a Canadian citizen or a resident at the time of the offence.

Meant to generate meaningful discussion only. :smile:

Gateholio
12-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I

You have a good case, but that is not how the law is written right now, as I interpret it. Although I am not a lawyer and dont' play one on the intraweb, so I could be incorrect.:-D

Ron.C
12-21-2009, 10:38 PM
I understand where you are coming from but we could all interpret the law how we want and we all could say "well thats silly" but it still doesn't change what is law. Right now here in BC. As an armed forces member working for the country and being deployed where your "told" then I think that might grant you an exeption but I do not know that for certain.

Your absolutely right. Then I may have broken the law

coach
12-21-2009, 11:13 PM
I think this is a great thread and that all of us should think about what is really at stake here as more and more interest groups want to take shots at us as resident hunters.

Directly from Jim's blog:

Yesterday we went all day never saw a bison again. Saw lots of resident hunters. There are 50 or 60 resident tags. I have one and Tanya has one. But we're seeing literally 150 hunters out there with guns. They're all saying they're wolf hunting, but ... we've seen 150 of the 50 bison hunters that are supposed to be there. They are all over the place.
So this morning we went back in the area where Tanya got her bull. I finally saw my first bison. We saw three cows, two calves and one 2-year-old male and that was it. They started running, and then some other hunters showed up that didn't have bison tags, but they were hard on the bison tails. They said they were six wolves, so it was kind of an unusual hunt.
Anyway I pulled the plug at that point. There was just too much poaching going on for my liking.

So I left and we are on our way home.

FD - Good for you for questioning Jim and for standing your ground as a resident hunter! Gatehouse - great job moderating and allowing this discussion to continue.

There are big issues in play right now among various stakeholders in BC - Guide Outfitters, Native Groups, "Animal rights" activists, and us - the tax paying, resident hunters of this province. When a high profile celebrity like Jim Shockey decides to to post this kind of crap in his blog, I think we all need to stand up for ourselves and be accounted for. Call it a witch hunt if you want, but I see nothing at all wrong with questioning whether Jim used legal methods to hunt buffalo and whether he rightfully qualified for his LEH.

Will
12-21-2009, 11:24 PM
When a high profile celebrity like Jim Shockey decides to to post this kind of crap in his blog, I think we all need to stand up for ourselves and be accounted for. Call it a witch hunt if you want, but I see nothing at all wrong with questioning whether Jim used legal methods to hunt buffalo and whether he rightfully qualified for his LEH.
Bravo Sir ! :cool:

muledeercrazy
12-21-2009, 11:25 PM
all that blog does is give you an idea of Jims character.. He couldnt even comprehend or address the fact that maybe the average hunter brings some friends when they go on a hunt of a liftetime.. Interesting coincidence that he happens to get a draw along with one of his employees.. My money says he bought his, so his hunting enjoyment should be at the end of the list compared to legitimate resident hunters.

Drillbit
12-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Àfter reading most of this I`ve decided the outcome will be that someone will complain and the ball will start rolling.

The ball won`t knock anything down, it will raise barriers for us. If the CO`s get invovled, they are already unable to supervise us while hunting so they will have to make more laws with higher penalties.

My predicted laws from the outcomes of the complaints will be
1 All out of province hunters will need to be guided (federally)
2 Hunter numbers will have to accompany t4`s

There are many more, but these are easy money grabs for `the man ` and I can see them coming soon.
Sorry for the negative outlook, but that`s how I see it playing out.

Gateholio
12-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Gatehouse - great job moderating and allowing this discussion to continue.

Shucks:redface:

So often I get painted as the killjoy:wink:

I don't see why the discussion can't continue unless there is outright calumny.

Mostly it has been simply questioning and speculation.

ElkMasterC
12-22-2009, 01:04 AM
Interesting coincidence that he happens to get a draw along with one of his employees..

Interesting indeeeeeeed.

I've never gotten a non-group draw with any of my buddies. Ever.

The Hermit
12-22-2009, 01:32 AM
I think I'm seeing a pattern here... if I'm not mistaken most of the people that are sticking up for JS are guides and those that are calling "shit" when they smell it are resident hunters that have put in untold years advocating on behalf of resident hunting, put in thousands of hours supporting conservation efforts etc. Hummm... as much as I hate to admit it, in this case I am appreciating FD and Co's efforts to shine the light! +10 for FD!!

The Hermit
12-22-2009, 01:33 AM
I wonder if the GOA will fine JS for setting their cause back a step? Or will they pay any ensuing legal bills from their "Lobbist Fund"?

Jagermeister
12-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Coach wrote, "There are big issues in play right now among various stakeholders in BC - Guide Outfitters, Native Groups, "Animal rights" activists, and us - the tax paying, resident hunters of this province. When a high profile celebrity like Jim Shockey decides to to post this kind of crap in his blog, I think we all need to stand up for ourselves and be accounted for. Call it a witch hunt if you want, but I see nothing at all wrong with questioning whether Jim used legal methods to hunt buffalo and whether he rightfully qualified for his LEH."

And I would like to add that Mr. Shockey is smearing the resident hunters with statements such as this which are totally un-founded, ("Anyway I pulled the plug at that point. There was just too much poaching going on for my liking. So I left and we are on our way home"), more so than the question of Shockey's LEH qualification.
"Too much poaching going on for my liking", what a crock of stool.
We have to stand up for ourselves, the G&Os could be stirring the natives to put up blockades on the Klappan River road and trying to limit access by motorized transport in some regions of the Peace. I certainly would not put it past the G&Os to stoop to that level.

OutWest
12-22-2009, 03:27 AM
Coach wrote, "There are big issues in play right now among various stakeholders in BC - Guide Outfitters, Native Groups, "Animal rights" activists, and us - the tax paying, resident hunters of this province. When a high profile celebrity like Jim Shockey decides to to post this kind of crap in his blog, I think we all need to stand up for ourselves and be accounted for. Call it a witch hunt if you want, but I see nothing at all wrong with questioning whether Jim used legal methods to hunt buffalo and whether he rightfully qualified for his LEH."

And I would like to add that Mr. Shockey is smearing the resident hunters with statements such as this which are totally un-founded, ("Anyway I pulled the plug at that point. There was just too much poaching going on for my liking. So I left and we are on our way home"), more so than the question of Shockey's LEH qualification.
"Too much poaching going on for my liking", what a crock of stool.
We have to stand up for ourselves, the G&Os could be stirring the natives to put up blockades on the Klappan River road and trying to limit access by motorized transport in some regions of the Peace. I certainly would not put it past the G&Os to stoop to that level.

Have to say you do bring up a good point. One worth considering for sure.

bad arrow
12-22-2009, 06:34 AM
I'm pretty sure jim shockey can read, I'd like to see js and fd in the octogon, I would advise jim to get a haircut though as I'm sure fisherdude is a hairpuller, my money is on fisherdude because of his never give up attitude and jim shockey would not allow his hair to be cut. How is it jim shockey see's 150 hunters? sounds dangerously crowded.

silvicon
12-22-2009, 07:58 AM
I see the GO bashing by a few individuals is going on strong.
It is a given that there is lots of poaching going on, esp. when it comes to bison.
JS's statement has its merrits!
Maybe some posters feeling the heat?

Onesock
12-22-2009, 08:13 AM
Ya know there is far too much jealousy amongst the likes of a few on here. Some guys rag on Shokey because he hunts most of the year and they can't . BooHoo. The same guys rag on bowhunters because bowhunters have a couple weeks other than GOS. BooHoo again. The good news is anyone can pickup a bow and go hunting. $hit FD could even use a x-gun to hunt in bow season. Merry Christmas!!!

mrdoog
12-22-2009, 08:36 AM
Who is Jim Shockey?

willy442
12-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I think I'm seeing a pattern here... if I'm not mistaken most of the people that are sticking up for JS are guides and those that are calling "shit" when they smell it are resident hunters that have put in untold years advocating on behalf of resident hunting, put in thousands of hours supporting conservation efforts etc. Hummm... as much as I hate to admit it, in this case I am appreciating FD and Co's efforts to shine the light! +10 for FD!!

Go figure heh. The proffessional hunters are calling this a witch hunt. The accomplished resident hunters are failing to get involved. Then we have a shit stirring accountant backed by a moderating baker trying to bring down a single person that has done nothing wrong.
Where is your PROOF that Jim Shockey has hunted a Buffalo with a Muzzle loader. Maybe he had one with him, but did he infact shoot at a Buffalo with it?
In BC it is a mandatory requirement that the G/O be present in a guide area while it is operating. I believe it is the same in the Yukon and Sask. Even with his time away hunting in other countries it would be a suprise to me if JS was out of province for 175+ days consectutivly every year, with out returning to BC. You guy's are interpreting a piece of the Wild Life act in a manner that falls in your favor on this one. Every time Jim appears in B.C., even if only for a day. He then becomes good to leave again for 6 months less a day before having to return. Hence the meaning of CONSECTUTIVE.

This whole post along with the other one on Mr. Shockey is nothing but garbage dragged forth by a bunch of wanna be's jealous of some one who has made hunting into a successful business.

The mentality of the mods to let this bantering continue and to actually come out and defend it is just as appalling as the thread it self.

The resident hunters seen on this site actually leave me in a position where I feel ashamed to call myself a resident hunter in this Province. Should we not all rise above this petty BULLSHIT in a time when hunting is not the most favorable activity taking place in our woods?:(

willy442
12-22-2009, 08:50 AM
I see the GO bashing by a few individuals is going on strong.
It is a given that there is lots of poaching going on, esp. when it comes to bison.
JS's statement has its merrits!
Maybe some posters feeling the heat?

The major amount of poaching taking place on the Pink Mountain herds is by the natives in the area. So is it really poaching or is it sustinance hunting? Many of the natives take white guy's with them and kill splitting the meat, is that poaching? Was Mr Shockey trying to be politically correct in his discription of what was happening? Lets not forget these native hunters are also residents.
It's away less crap to shoot a 2 year old off a ranch and not get involved with the LEH gong show up there.

Elkaholic
12-22-2009, 09:04 AM
This is seriously the biggest *ucking waste of time thread I have ever seen on this website. Just trash. Find something better to do with your time FD. Maybe we should have a thread on every BC Resident hunter to see if they truly are a resident..... Ridiculous. I am surprised this thread isn't closed yet.

sawmill
12-22-2009, 09:06 AM
You know,the bison up there are actually feral farmed plains bison that escaped from a rancher who brought them up back in the 60`s.So if the FN say they are hunting their traditional buffalo lands they have been watching too many wild west movies.There was never one there until then.Yes they are an inherantly wild animal,just not one that ever lived there until a white guy shipped them up.

burger
12-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Go figure heh. The proffessional hunters are calling this a witch hunt. The accomplished resident hunters are failing to get involved. Then we have a shit stirring accountant backed by a moderating baker trying to bring down a single person that has done nothing wrong.
Where is your PROOF that Jim Shockey has hunted a Buffalo with a Muzzle loader. Maybe he had one with him, but did he infact shoot at a Buffalo with it?
In BC it is a mandatory requirement that the G/O be present in a guide area while it is operating. I believe it is the same in the Yukon and Sask. Even with his time away hunting in other countries it would be a suprise to me if JS was out of province for 175+ days consectutivly every year, with out returning to BC. You guy's are interpreting a piece of the Wild Life act in a manner that falls in your favor on this one. Every time Jim appears in B.C., even if only for a day. He then becomes good to leave again for 6 months less a day before having to return. Hence the meaning of CONSECTUTIVE.

This whole post along with the other one on Mr. Shockey is nothing but garbage dragged forth by a bunch of wanna be's jealous of some one who has made hunting into a successful business.

The mentality of the mods to let this bantering continue and to actually come out and defend it is just as appalling as the thread it self.

The resident hunters seen on this site actually leave me in a position where I feel ashamed to call myself a resident hunter in this Province. Should we not all rise above this petty BULLSHIT in a time when hunting is not the most favorable activity taking place in our woods?:(

C'mon willy read the regs it clearly states "(a) a person who
(ii) has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

Clearly you are not reading correctly as it is in plain view for us all to see.GREATER PORTION NOT ONE DAY IN 175. If you took the time to read JS blog and time line his forays in the hunting world it is easy to see that infact he was not in the country for the time needed Either that or his blog is all lies. Again as I said before I am pretty sure it is not lies.

I'm suprised by your lack of heart on this one. The last time someone one here was breaking the law you sent the masses after him. There is enough evidence here to at least invoke an inquiry. Don't cha think?? Maybe a few PM from "some" members suggesting he turn himself in as there on to him.

Maybe the CO's have already contacted another patsy to send him PM to turn himself in...

bridger
12-22-2009, 09:15 AM
I don't see the point of this thread other than to while away the winter hours. if you really want to talk serioulsly about the bison in the pink mtn area we should be talking about reducing the herd to less than half its present size. the environmental degradation caused by bison to the habitat is a major problem. you can't see it in during the bison season because of the snow, but go into the halfway valley horseback in september and you will think you are riding across the backside of the moon. the moose and elk and sheep populations are really taking a hit because of the increased bison numbers and their competition for food. Don't want to hijack this thread but its not going any place anyway.

Devilbear
12-22-2009, 09:28 AM
"Bridger", makes a sensible comment on this thread! I also tend to agree with "Elkaholic" on this and while JS used a poor choice of words in his "blog" comments, I find the three threads concerning him to be mostly bullshit.

He is a native-born Canadian making a good living and employing others and, IMHO, is a basically decent guy who is not stupid and would not deliberately contravene game laws. JS is what GOs should be, all in all and I suggest looking into Bryan Martin and Olmstead before accusing him of questionable behaviour.

I am no fan of the GOABC, but, the pillorying here is simply bizarre.

huntwriter
12-22-2009, 09:31 AM
Should we not all rise above this petty BULLSHIT in a time when hunting is not the most favorable activity taking place in our woods?:(

You ought to think so, but as I have often said; Hunters are their own worst enemy. Three threads on the same hunter with nothing but emotions, hearsay, rumors, make believe and ugly gossip. All the trash tabloid journalists must get jealous reading this.

Fraink
12-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I just returned from the same area that JS was hunting, my son harvested a very nice 4 yr old bull. As we arrived a day early we met the elderly chaps that jamie (sheep,elk, moose fanatic) mentioned. Those gentlemen were hunting the same -35+ weather that JS was and they stuck it out till the last day. Yes there was a lot of traffic, every tag holder we talked to brought help along, processing a bison and retreiving the animal in these conditions is a lot of work.

I would like to add my 2 bits to the " witch hunt". Jim Shockey brought this on himself and deserves the scrutiny, he was slamming the resident hunters and making assumptions of poaching, " too much poaching for my liking".
How much poaching does he like?

We would all like to have hunting areas to ourselves, I try to create that by going farther than the crowd is willing to go but I don't attack when I am not successfull. It will be interesting to see if the CO's investigate any of this.....I will be listening !!!!

30.06 Hunter
12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I don't see why the discussion can't continue unless there is outright calumny.

Mostly it has been simply questioning and speculation.
This is what a lot of the anti groups say when attempting to discredit/shut down what ever they are protesting. Is also a favorite saying of creationists as they try to kill science teaching in the class room.
What better way to cause harm to hunting in general than to cast aspersions on one of BC's most famous hunters? The site owner and mods may see nothing wrong with such discussion, and that is fine it is their site, but it seems a lot of members here are very uncomfortable with the general tone and direction of "discussions" that are based on very vague speculations and innuendo.

willy442
12-22-2009, 09:54 AM
C'mon willy read the regs it clearly states "(a) a person who
(ii) has been physically present in British Columbia for the greater portion of each of 6 calendar months out of the 12 calendar months immediately preceding the date of making an application under this Act or doing another thing relevant to the operation of this Act

Clearly you are not reading correctly as it is in plain view for us all to see.GREATER PORTION NOT ONE DAY IN 175. If you took the time to read JS blog and time line his forays in the hunting world it is easy to see that infact he was not in the country for the time needed Either that or his blog is all lies. Again as I said before I am pretty sure it is not lies.

I'm suprised by your lack of heart on this one. The last time someone one here was breaking the law you sent the masses after him. There is enough evidence here to at least invoke an inquiry. Don't cha think?? Maybe a few PM from "some" members suggesting he turn himself in as there on to him.

Maybe the CO's have already contacted another patsy to send him PM to turn himself in...

This is one that I've been involved in and I can tell you it is looked at in the same manner as Canadian residency. If he spends time in British Columbia every 6 months less a day. He is eligable to hunt.
You can interpret this however you wish but it is fact and precidence has already been set.

Jagermeister
12-22-2009, 10:47 AM
I like to remind the pro JS's to take their rose colored glasses off and read the title of this thread. Then go read the time line on JS's blog. Then re-read the part of the regulations pretaining to residency. Then ask yourself, "Is he in the service of the Government?"
He may be a Canadian, he may be a British Columbian, but according to his own blog, it appears that he is not a resident as defined by the regulations.
Now I wonder if his blog will get altered?
And who cares about what the anti's think, we are self-policing.

Prowler
12-22-2009, 10:57 AM
As stated earlier, I am no Shockey fan, by any means, but these threads are just plain rediculouse...:icon_frow

Fraink
12-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Jim's blog was rediculous

huntcoop
12-22-2009, 11:16 AM
C'mon willy.....I'm suprised by your lack of heart on this one. The last time someone one here was breaking the law you sent the masses after him.......

HAHAHA, good point, NARC.

dutchie
12-22-2009, 11:20 AM
It is really unfortunate that JS is one of the main people that people see in the hunting world.

He is egotistical and gives a bad rap to all other hunters.

The biggest difference is that he is use to being brought right to were the animals are rather then having to go and look for himself. I am guessing this is his way of going home with tag soup, and had to blame it on someone.

If he wants to take his jet setting, big named, macho hunter status all around the world, and brag about it, I think that he should loose some LEH rights, but if you take his rights away, do you take my brothers LEH rights away because he is serving in Afganistan for 9 months?

stitch
12-22-2009, 11:22 AM
As long as this fella, Shockey is positively promoting our province of BC. and not bad mouthing it, he's accepted here, but if he is negative in any words or makes false accusations of any of BC's hunters or our BC system, hey then it's different, grab your guns and head back east where you came from.
jElvi$ we can't go on together with suss pish ous minds - Big Brother knows --
Thank you, thank you very much -

Hey jelly...I'm from back east....what do you have against people from back there? P.S. I'm a resident of B.C . now....imported!
P :tongue:

ElkMasterC
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
I don't see the point of this thread other than to while away the winter hours. if you really want to talk serioulsly about the bison in the pink mtn area we should be talking about reducing the herd to less than half its present size. the environmental degradation caused by bison to the habitat is a major problem. you can't see it in during the bison season because of the snow, but go into the halfway valley horseback in september and you will think you are riding across the backside of the moon. the moose and elk and sheep populations are really taking a hit because of the increased bison numbers and their competition for food. Don't want to hijack this thread but its not going any place anyway.

No, by all means, hijack away. :twisted:
Might get folks to agree on something for a change, Bridger!
Funny to hear we have too many Bison. Maybe start a new thread, B?

huntwriter
12-22-2009, 11:42 AM
And who cares about what the anti's think, we are self-policing.

Self policing as in continued self righteous bashing, bigotry, spread of rumors, reading between lines, free interpretation of whats been said to suit someones agenda, finger pointing, making a mountain out of a molehill.

As this forum grows it gets worse and worse with the Kindergarten mentality of some members. What ones used to be a great place to share experiences and stories has degraded into a regular gossip column and bashing fest. There used to be a fair amount of members on here whose posts where a joy to read and educational. Most of these members have left this forum because of what it turned into. There is also a certain type of members on here whose sole purpose seems to be to bash others at the drop of a hat. Keep on "self policing" in that style and police hunting out of existence by scaring new hunters away.

This thread has gone beyond the ridiculous, and yes I do agree that the mods should shut it down. Nothing good can come of this silliness other than feed the bigoted ego of some.

huntwriter
12-22-2009, 12:03 PM

The crap that has been spewed forth here on two threads about J.S is read by thousands more that ever will stumble across J.S's blog post.

This thread has been read by 3,551 and the other thread received 11,161 views so far. This makes a total of 14,712. I doubt very much that even half of that number read Jim's blog post in question.

The relentless bashing of other hunters, not only J.S., that goes on here every single day of the year and is read by thousands of visitors to this website gives hunting more of a "bad rap" than anything else posted on some blog of a disgruntled pro hunter.

Blainer
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM

In the way of all other hunters,did you mean to include the guys that truck hunt and pitch their beer cans from the window?
I have witnessed far worse behaviour in the bush than a statement on Jim's blog.:confused:

BCrams
12-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Iif you really want to talk serioulsly about the bison in the pink mtn area we should be talking about reducing the herd to less than half its present size. the environmental degradation caused by bison to the habitat is a major problem. you can't see it in during the bison season because of the snow, but go into the halfway valley horseback in september and you will think you are riding across the backside of the moon. the moose and elk and sheep populations are really taking a hit because of the increased bison numbers and their competition for food. Don't want to hijack this thread but its not going any place anyway.

This about makes the most sense so far on the bison thread :)

The same can be said about the elk in the Kechika / Turnagain / Gataga country with its 10 day season. Given the examples of competition from the east slopes, one would think there would be a more liberal season.

Gateholio
12-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Interesting to see how selective some are about how laws should be applied.

I recall some of the people that are speaking against this thread were frothing at the mouth to start a "witch hunt" when there were allegations of illegal activity from another hunter on this site.

Now they think we shouldn't even discuss if a muzzle loader is a legal weapon, or if a ML meets energy requirements or if someone meets residency requirements. I guess we shouldn't question the legality of any activity on here, too?

We should just keep our mouths shut about topics like rimfire for deer, or a guy that moves to BC and gets a HL but doesn't make residency requirements yet?

Well, you guys get your wish. I'm closing the thread, not because I think these are not valid topics for discussion,but because this is just going to descend into a shit slinging contest. There has already been some name calling and it's just going to get worse.

Anybody that can come up with a very clearly explained interpretation of residency requirements, please start another thread.