PDA

View Full Version : Funny Moose Story

marcus44
02-05-2006, 05:23 AM
A couple years ago we were up fishing at Dragon Lake in Quesnel and it was a miserable rainy day, wind blowing, so No Fishing. So, me and the wife decided to take a drive up to Barkerville seeing neither of us had ever been there before.

Anyways we were driving along the highway and came upon a Cow and Calf moose on the road. I stopped to let them get off the highway. They started to make there way off the road when a car came from the opposite direction and they took off back across the highway in front of me (still stopped and still pouring rain). The calf made it off into the bush safely, but mom, well lets just say that wet highways are like ice rinks to Moose. She looked like Bambi when she spilled on the highway on her nose. As I tried to regain my composure from laughing so hard. I watched her sheepishly pick herself off the pavement :oops: and hightail it into the bush. Fortunately she wasnt injured, cept for maybe her pride, if Moose do indeed have pride??

Anyone else have any funny animal stories like mine?? Would love to hear them.

bsa30-06
02-05-2006, 09:30 AM
When i was in lytton last year i was driving up a dirt road and every now and again i could get a glimpse of something black up ahead of me, when i finally got close enough to see it there was a little bear cub pouncing around the middle of the road swatting around a pine cone like he was a cat with a new toy.I sat in the truck watching him for about 5 minutes beating that pine cone until he moved off the road,never did see mommy bear but im sure she wasnt to far away.

3kills
02-05-2006, 09:31 AM
thats funny for sure...there sure is a lot of moose up on that hiway to barkerville....gottta be really careful when drivin it at night...

Fred
02-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Sort of similar. One spring in Winterpeg just after most of the snow was gone, I stepped out of the back door of the house and startled a rabbit that had been eating last years plum's that had fallen the year before. He(or she) bolted for a hole at the bottom of the wooden picket fence and missed it by about 6 inches, rebounded, lunged at the hole again, missed by 6 inches to the other side, fell over and kicked a couple of times trying to get up. It only took a second or 3 for it to get back on its feet, then it sort of crawled along the fence, slipped through the hole , then took off across the neighbours open yard, but almost sideways and heading for the side of their garage 30 feet away. It didn't hit the garage but it did go around the back of it rather that the front like it appeared to have intended when it started this mad dash across the yard! I guess those plums had started fermenting. One of these times I will have to tell you all about the 2 tree rats that I saw mating in a tree when I was a youngster! :biggrin: Fred

bsa30-06
02-05-2006, 09:41 AM
That poor rabbit probably had brain damage after that, but that would have been funny to watch.

Schmaus
02-05-2006, 11:09 AM
This year while up in chetwynd hunting for cow elk. My dad was driving down a road and he seen 3 bull elk running beside the trees in the ditch. The 3 elk were two smaller bulls and a 6 point. Anyway they ran about 15 feet away from the truck for quite a while untill my dad eventually slowed the truck and let them pass. As soon as they got ahead of the truck they decided to cross the road in front of the truck. The only thing was that there was a barbwire fence in between them and the road. The first two little bulls made the fence no problem but the 6 point didn't see the fence or something and he plowed right through it. When he hit the fence it flipped him right out onto the middle of the road on his back. It must have stunned him pretty good because he got up very slow and then just kind of stood in the middle of the road looking at the truck only 20 feet away. He eventually got his bearings and walked into the bush. I only wish that I was on that trip, its not everyday you see a 6 point bull elk lying on his back in the middle of the road.

Stump
02-05-2006, 11:42 AM
Quite a few years ago the wife and I went up to one of our favorite lakes Blue Earth. Thoose that know the road can visualize the steep grades comeing down. We were driving a full size Bronco pulling a 20, travel trailer needless to say the brakes heated up a little. Comeing around a sharp bend low and behold we see 4 point lying in a puddle directly in the middle of the road. He was in no hurry to leave that spot,so we just sat there in awe to see such a beautiful caption of calmness.

marcus44
02-05-2006, 03:40 PM
Great stories guys.... Hey Fred if you would cooked that bunny he wouldve been marinated for you. :-)

bigwhiteys
02-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Deer hunting 2004...

We were driving down a road in the Fort St John area when we saw 1 doe and 2 fawns ripping across the field beside us.

The angle they were running on they were going to cut across the road in front of us...

The doe jumped the fence first and cleared it fine... the 1st fawn jumped and cleared it okay as well..

That 2nd fawn... man... He must have misjudged because he jumped a little early and did a piledriver right into the farmers fence and it flung the little fawn backwards by about 5 or 6 feet...

He jumped up shook his head and this time crawled UNDER the fence!

It was pretty funny to see...

Happy Hunting!
Carl

Blktail
02-05-2006, 10:32 PM
I was driving the highway just north of Sidney, BC, when I saw a deer in a field beside the road. I stopped and put the glasses on a blacktail doe. 50 yards away was a real nice crown 3 buck with really tall antlers. The doe walked up to a fence and put her nose to it. She jumped a good 6' in the air from the shock she got and came down running. She stopped after only 10 feet or so, walked up to the fence and slipped between the strands. She did the same thing 30 yards away at the next fence. The buck got worried she was getting away and approached the first fence at a good trot, and in one motion threaded his antlers between the strands and stepped through the fence without missing a beat. He trotted to the next fence and did the same. Both deer could have cleared the fence in a bound but chose the hard way, even after the doe got a shock.

Moral of the story, don't use an electric fence to keep deer out of your garden.

Blktail
02-05-2006, 10:36 PM
A friend was hunting by Burns lake this year. As he was driving down an old logging road on his trike, something big and black plowed out of the Christmas trees onto the road beside him. Turns out it was a calf moose. The calf caught up to him, passed and then turned back into the bush. When Eddy got the trike stopped and his heart started again, he had a good chuckle, changed his shorts and carried on. Having seen a grizzly earlier, he had thought the calf was a bear at first.

lip_ripper00
02-06-2006, 12:13 AM
we had just finished with a downed bull had him loaded in the back of the truck,full dark by this time, were heading back to camp doing about 40 kmh happy at the success of the day both talking back and forth not paying too much attention on whats happing in the distance and at the sametime we said "what is that?" just out side headlight beam their was gleem in the head lights.I told Gord to speed up, as we spead up a grizzle sow and a cub came into view in the head lights running down the road.The gleem was the silver tips of the hair reflecting headlight, as we got closer the sow had ,had enough of the road and turned right into the bush. junior tried to follow but ether hit a stump or a rock in the dark at a full run bounced back in to the middle of the road we almost hit him!! felt him bounce off my passenger door on the way bye Bet he had a major headache:D

Fred
02-06-2006, 02:14 AM
Great stories guys.... Hey Fred if you would cooked that bunny he wouldve been marinated for you. :-)

Actually Marcus, after the comment BSA made I was thinking that a Drunken, brain-damaged rabbit could run for the head of the Liberal party and that pretty much took care of my appitite! :biggrin:
We were in the middle of suberbia and shooting was verbotten! A real shame too. In winter there were often deer tracks in the fresh snow from the night before, right up the back lanes. :shock: Fred

bochunk2000
02-06-2006, 08:50 AM
A couple years back my friend Todd and I were coming back grom elk hunting near Gold river. We saw a doe and 2 fawns running along the other side of the road. We paced them for a while. The doe and one fawn ducked of into the bushes but one fawn was going full tilt. We were doing about 45-50 kmph I think. Its tongue was hanging way out of its mouth. It tried to duck into the bushes but because it was paying attention to us ot smacked straight into a tree. Poor deer but one of the best laughs I'd had in a long time. Steve.

rrfred
02-06-2006, 10:10 AM
similar story- about 4 years ago was hunting deer in the early season and saw a whitetail doe about 30 yds away and watched her; she did not see me- after a few minutes she looked my way and when she realized i was there she spun 180 degrees to take off and smashed her head into a tree, knocked herself down; stayed down for a few seconds then got up and staggered off- too funny, i laugh every time i go by that spot.

marcus44
02-06-2006, 06:36 PM
Another amusing story... Few years back dad and I were walking up an old logging road that overlooked a nice gulley at the crack of dawn, nice frosty day. All of sudden we hear the thump thump of hoofs bounding up the hill. So dad and I both crouch down overlooking the gulley awaiting whatever is bounding up the hill. Well the next thing we know a doe comes racing right past dad within 3 feet, and as I turn back to look back into the gulley 2 more does stop dead 5 feet in front of me. As I was busy recovering and looking for some horns, I hear dad start shooting. 2 shots, said he hit a lil buck that was following the group.

Well after waiting a lil while to let him settle down and regain our nerves from almost being run over, we start down hill after the buck. Standard 10 - 15 yrds apart to cover more ground, we start down the hill (I was still looking to shoot my first deer at this time) we get about 100yrds down the hill and he pops up. I raise my gun to shoot and there is a tree in my shot line, cant shoot. Dad took 2 more shots. Deer kept going. So we wait a lil longer and start after him again. Get maybe another 50-75 yrds and he pops up again. And again another tree in my line of sight. Dad shoots again. 2 more and finally deer is downed for good. Out of a total of 6 shots, dad hit him 3 times. Worst shooting I have ever seen dad make, still bug him about that.

Now after cleaning the buck its time to haul it out. And instead of taking it down hill to the main road, not thinking we take it back up the hill close to where the truck was. That was a tough haul, but all in all a good day and one of my fave memories hunting.

Fred
02-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Ex should chime in here and tell about the Black Bear he couldn't shoot up on Spuzzum FSR last spring! :biggrin: Fred

trigger
02-06-2006, 11:27 PM
a buddy of mine has a post wright out his living room wndow and always puts oats on it for the deer. They have been coming back for years. every winter. They even have names for some of them. This one time we were all sitting there watching when a small buck was showing some interest in this doe. he got around behind her and jumped up. In one quick motion he rammed so hard it sent him backwards and he ended up hitting the ground so hard it knocked him out for a few seconds. it was shaking and everything. I have never laughed so hard in all my life. horny lil bugger. The next year they were sitting there watching again and im not sure if it was the same buck but another one had fallen back again right in front of them.

bsa30-06
02-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Ex, tell us your bear story!!!!!

Islandeer
02-10-2006, 09:10 PM
My brother was up in the east kootenay (Mcdonald Burn) during the rut in the 70's(i know,war story),anyhow he was hunting with his buddies dad who shot two muley bucks off the backs of does. I always felt he should have waited till they had finished their business,though i guess if you have to go....

moose hunter
02-12-2006, 05:05 PM
it was pooring rain and we were ripping up the road on the atvs to get home we came around the corner and there was 2 small bucks fighting both whitetails which we had no tag we stopped to watch as they noticed us buck number 1 bounded into the bush buck number 2 almost at the bush gets smacked in the face with a branch that was caught on buck number ones antler he stumbles around making strange noises as it looked like he got it in the eye he trips over a log and lays there looking at us looked like he was squinting after about 5 min he got up shook off the water and walked carefully into the bush

CanuckShooter
02-18-2006, 08:44 AM
The last day of my 04 elk hunt I decided to head up to the top of the mountain, early in the morning, and try my luck at cow calling up a bull elk...I had packed up my gear early and proceeded to the top of the mountain in the dark with only my little mag light lighting the way. With all the grizz bears in the area we had been hunting I was loaded and locked...but I still get that eerie feeling of being watched every time I head out..but a guys gotta do what a guys gotta do !! Upon reaching the top of the mountain I slipped gingerly down the extremely steep slope about a hundred yards and made myself ready as I waited for first light. Having already decided that unless I got on an elk early I was heading back to camp and making preparations to head home. As the light began to come up I let off with my first little cow call...nothing...

On my second call I get a response....the familiar grunt of a bull moose. Waiting about twenty minutes, I try again..a couple of cow calls...and again the moose responds. Not exactly what I had envisioned, but what the hay! I already have my moose tag cut so to cut my losses I decide to try and call him in and survey his head gear..just for the fun of it!!

Putting the elk calls aside I cup my hands and let out a cow moose call that would make Daniel Boone proud...and get an immediate response..ha..I have his attention..but will he come up the mountain?? It's steep like you wouldn't believe..almost straight down. So I lets off with my full arsenal...a cow call so mournful and drawn out...followed by a couple of snapped willows...hehe he's a comin'...what fun!! grunt grunt grunt...that old bull moose is makin time...lookin' for his lady love...

And as it often happens he hangs up...grunt grunt...but not coming any closer...but I know the game...all the little tricks...I move about 50 yards off...and let off with a low mellow cow moose come hither big boy call... and here he comes...I snap off a few more willows and rattle a bush...aha he comes a runnin' grunt grunt grunt....I move over another 30 yards or so and wait for him to show.. I see the shake of the tag alder as he moves in on my last calling position..man is he going to be surprised!! What fun. I see his rack first...wide and brown rubbed...40" at least...two points on each brow palm..but it doesn't matter..I already have my moose..and then I see his head and neck..black as black...his eyes scanning around looking for the love sick cow he knows is near!! He is close now..no more than 25 yards....and getting bigger by the second...fully exposed and broadside...close enough I think so I stand up and show myself. His head swings my way...I see the whites of his eyes grow expotentially as he realizes I'm no hot cow moose....and give him a 'booga booga'...scared the hell out of him...he wheels and back down the mountain he heads. Not the bull elk I was hoping for, but what the heck all great fun all the same.

Pleased with myself, and chuckling about the dirty trick I had played on the bull moose I take off my head net, pack my gear and proceed back to the top of the mountain and the road back down to our camp. I keep chuckling to myself...still quite tickled..and as is my habit I am busy scanning for game trails...fresh tracks...the thoughts of grizz bears that rolled through my thoughts on the trek up in the dark completely forgotten....ditty bopping along...eyes on the ground...life is good!! And then it happened!

I round a steep corner about a hundred yards down the road, and casting my eyes upward, momentarily forgetting tracks and trails...holy crapoly...my heart does a double skip..my left leg starts doing the rhumba...there is an animal in the road!! It's huge...and dark...arghhh..it's a grizz bear!! I'm startin to back pedal...my hair stands on end..my hat falls off...the family jewels head for places they should never go...and then I realize it's not a bear..it's another bull moose...right in the middle of the road. I can almost hear him chuckle...as for sure the whites of my eyes were showing now!! Let me tell you at twenty yards...they are pretty impressive! His massive head turns...the sun glints off his rack...and he moves off the road..his sides heaving with laughter I'm sure. He is so close I can smell him, hear his breathing...but he's not a grizz bear...and I am thankfull...paid back in spades but nobody was hurt so all is well in the world! And that is my funniest moose story, hope you enjoyed it.

CS

Fred
02-18-2006, 09:05 AM
I thought for a moment there that you were going to tell us that your calling was so good that you got bred!!:mrgreen: Fred

huntwriter
02-18-2006, 09:40 PM
My hunting partner and I went turkey hunting in Illinois. The place had seen more hunters than turkeys and it was though going. Once these birds have wised up to hunters they shut up gobbling and just come sneaking in quiet. I was sitting well camouflaged at the bottom of an old oak while my partner sat about 50 yards to my left also at the bottom of an old oak. Periodically I produced enticing yelps and purrs from my trusted wooden box call.

Each time the gobbler would answer but he still was far away, from the sound but I could tell that he came closer ever so slowly from my right side. If he keeps coming from that direction he would be mien. Some more calling produced no answers which meant the gobbler could be very close or he lost interest. With these birds you just never know. I keep looking intently to my right side carefully scaning the area for every oh so little movement with the shotgun ready to send a swarm of angry # 4 pellets the gobblers way the moment he would pop his head up from anywhere inside 40 yards.

I must have been pre occupied like that for , oh I don't know, maybe 15 or 20 minutes when I felt something tugging on my ASAT 3-D camouflage pants. Well, shall I turn around and see what it is or keep motionless and keep looking out for that big old tom who any second might walk right in front of my Winchester's 12 gauge barrel. Eventually the tugging got more persistent to the point where I had the distinct feeling something is nibbling on my leg. Ever so slowely I turned my head, turkeys have exeptional eyesight and can spot you blinking your eye from 100 yards away, so slow motion movement in an absolute muste

The next second I shot up like I sat on a hornets nest and must have wetted my pants at the same time too. My hunting partner awakend, he allways fell asleep leaning against a tree, from the noice I made jumping to his feet too and thus has become my crown wittness for something which nobody would belief If I told them without his back up. The moment I jumped up and screamed the cause of the nibbling on my leg snorted out loud turned inside out and crashed trough the woods like a run away train almost running my hunting partner over. The culprit was the biggest buck I have ever seen on that particular parcel of public hunting land. The buck was at least a fair 150 class 8 point with heavy mass velvet antlers. I wonder where he was when I was hunting so hard in that area all fall and winter. What really puzzled me was how close this buck came to me, I mean he nibbled on my camo pants, and since I was turkey hunting and these birds have no sense of smell whatsoever I never bothered to make sure I wear freshly laundred colothing or go to any length whatsoever to reduce my human scent.

That he was fooled by my ASAT camouflage which blends in so well that a hunter becomes instistinguishable from the surrounding vegitation even at very close range was a given for me but that he could not smell me at that close range still is a miracle to me and so is that once in a lifetime experience where you actually get a deer so close that you could grab it by the atlers.

Incidentally, the following fall I scouted this bucks hide out and knew that when the hunters came onto the land he would seek refuge on a neigbouring farm which was off limits for hunters. But as it happend I knew the farmer very well and when I told him about the buck and that he blew my chances on a big old tom in the spring he gave me permission to hunt on his property. In the late winter season on a bitter cold January morning it all came together and I run an arrow trough that buck as he stepped out onto a picked beanfield.

Islandeer
02-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Seems like the moose gods have a sense of humor!! Great story.

Islandeer
02-19-2006, 11:09 AM
I liked the nibbler story too,whiteys are just plain weird sometimes!