PDA

View Full Version : Whats in your sheep pack?

bozzdrywall
12-20-2009, 06:08 PM
The more i read on here the more i want to try bighorn sheep hunting. I know were i want to go. I know what gun i want to buy. Now i need to know from all you vets whats in your pack for a 4 to 5 day pack trip? I would like a detailed list if you could. Brand names of some of the gear you find to work the best, food, cloths everything you can think of to help a guy out. I just bought a osprey pack i think its a 75 liter maby a bit bigger. Iam going to buy a 300 wsm tika t3 light stainless. need good boots still looking thinking of scarpas. Need all the info you can give. Thanks so much

Dirty
12-20-2009, 06:10 PM
There is some threads on the site regarding whats in your pack.... dig around, do a search and you will find it.

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=31100&highlight=gear+list

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37948&highlight=gear+list

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19840&highlight=gear+list

http://www.bchuntingblog.com/2007/01/backpack-hunting-for-sheep-in-bc-what-gear-do-you/

yukon john
12-20-2009, 06:27 PM
For a newbie to sheep hunting you got a great pack and a great choice in rifle dont let anyone talk you out of either of them, they would be my first choice as well. Boots are super important, I have tried most of the better brands and there is no boot for everyone but Jim Winjum of Kenetrek Boots produces the best boots for mountain hunting. I switched from meindls this year and I will never go back there is no comparison. Before you buy another boot try kenetrek. They have very ''true'' sizes so mail order usually works fine, also check out there super feet insoles and their socks (3 year warrenty on the socks!!) For a stove I recommend Jet boil they are far more fuel efficient than the competition so less weight on fuel. Their small canisters boil 12 liters in normal conditions. I have tried them in bad conditions (high wind, melting snow instead of water etc.) and I get a minumum of 9 liters of boiled water out of each canister (4 season mix)
Lots of very experienced sheep guys on here good luck!

bozzdrywall
12-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Dirty thanks for the threads. Iam board just like the rest of you so let see what you guys have to say. Lots of good gear out there just want to narrow it down. I only have 8 months to get ready might not be enough time LOL

blackbart
12-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Save the money that you plan to spend on your rifle and invest it in optics. Glassing is the key, shooting is only the final detail. Whatever gun you have been using for elk and deer hunting will be fine for sheep. Might weigh a bit more, but if you are anything like me (or 90% of us) a few pounds could be lost off our bodies to make up for a heavier gun.

Lots of guys tend to take too much in the way of both food and clothes. Really think hard about what you will need.

ElkMasterC
12-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Dust......

Everett
12-20-2009, 08:10 PM
For a newbie to sheep hunting you got a great pack and a great choice in rifle dont let anyone talk you out of either of them, they would be my first choice as well. Boots are super important, I have tried most of the better brands and there is no boot for everyone but Jim Winjum of Kenetrek Boots produces the best boots for mountain hunting. I switched from meindls this year and I will never go back there is no comparison. Before you buy another boot try kenetrek. They have very ''true'' sizes so mail order usually works fine, also check out there super feet insoles and their socks (3 year warrenty on the socks!!) For a stove I recommend Jet boil they are far more fuel efficient than the competition so less weight on fuel. Their small canisters boil 12 liters in normal conditions. I have tried them in bad conditions (high wind, melting snow instead of water etc.) and I get a minumum of 9 liters of boiled water out of each canister (4 season mix)
Lots of very experienced sheep guys on here good luck!

Switched to Kenetrek this year most comfortable boot I have ever worn but I put them in a boxed and mailed them back this week. After only 7 months and 65 days or so of hunting and the soles are completly worn out, one of the cheapest soles I have ever seen on a hiking boot I usualy get three years out of a set of soles. These are a $400 cdn boot so I exspect to get more than one season out of the soles. The other problem I have had with them is lack of ankle support I have twisted my right ankle three times and sprained my left. So I am not sure if I have a bunk pair or not. But I am going to find out if they back up there product or not. I will do a thread after I see how good they are to deal with.

leadpillproductions
12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Hopefully A Big Freakin Sheep Next Year

mudbud
12-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Hopefully A Big Freakin Sheep Next Year

x2!

Hanwags are the best boots I have tried.

2lbs off your belly isn't the same as 2lbs off your gear, buy the best lightest stuff you can afford. The most weight can be saved in your rifle, tent, sleeping bag and cookware. I wouldn't skimp weight on the pack, 3 pound packs are great until there is 60+lbs of sheep in there and it comes apart.

Get the best glass you can afford, glassing the next valley is alot better then walking to it. Glass twice as much as you think you need to.

my $.02

bozzdrywall
12-20-2009, 08:39 PM
i already have good glass and my pack should be good enough. As for my gut if i lose any more i will blow off the top of the mountian lol. Anyone hike with scarpas i hear a lot about them but dont know any one who has a pair. I have already seen the sheep i want i just hope he is there next year in total i seen 18 sheep in the range 4 were rams that were legal so hope next year is my year to connect. With the help of all you sheep pros this should make my chances of getting one a little better than going in blind. Please keep the info comming

troutseeker
12-20-2009, 10:00 PM
I have a pair of Scarpas. They are great! Good support and stiff enough for the mountains but still good for all around hiking. Just make sure you try them out with the socks you plan on wearing and spend some time in them in the store. You feet will take you there and back, footwear is pretty dang important.

yukon john
12-20-2009, 11:23 PM
Switched to Kenetrek this year most comfortable boot I have ever worn but I put them in a boxed and mailed them back this week. After only 7 months and 65 days or so of hunting and the soles are completly worn out, one of the cheapest soles I have ever seen on a hiking boot I usualy get three years out of a set of soles. These are a $400 cdn boot so I exspect to get more than one season out of the soles. The other problem I have had with them is lack of ankle support I have twisted my right ankle three times and sprained my left. So I am not sure if I have a bunk pair or not. But I am going to find out if they back up there product or not. I will do a thread after I see how good they are to deal with.

From what I have seen they stand behind their product 100% I would be surprised if you had any trouble getting a freebie pair. They do have softer (not cheaper) soles than many hunting boots and while the sole may wear out faster they have much better traction on the rocks especially when its wet. To meet the needs of some of the customers they will soon have or do have the option of a harder sole if that is what you want.

Laurence_Erickson
12-20-2009, 11:44 PM
yukonjohn Not tring to hijack this thread but may I ask what model kennetrek boot you have?

bigwhiteys
12-21-2009, 12:20 AM
A few items that will always make it into my pack for long trips.

- Sil-Tarp II. (we use it on every trip)

- Jetboil Stove. This stove gets my 5 Star approval for heating up water. If you're eating freeze dry I don't think you'll find an easier, more reliable and efficient stove. Mine has been ticking trouble free for 5 years now, with many, many hours of use in a wide variety of conditions.

- Katadyne Vario. I've always just drank the water out of the creeks, and for the most part still do. This year we packed in a filter because we knew any water we'd get too was going to be dirty. This filter pumped and filtered water like a champion. For 3 guys we could pump 8 liters a day to fill our nalgenes and water bladders and at 2L minute fast flow it's one of the quicker ones out there. This will come along from now on.

- SPOT. I shouldn't have to explain. Everybody should have a device like this when venturing out.

- Thorlo Hiker Socks (Level III). I would challenge anybody to show me a finer sock for hardcore hiking. I've tried, bridgedales, browning, redhead, wigwam, ingenius, kodiak, and several other brands whose name escapes me now. None of them come close! Thorlos are the ONLY sock I wear in the mountains.

- Baby Wipes & Gold Bond. Chafe can bring down the best of us, although this year I tried some underwear from MEC. $10.00 a pair, synthetic and I have to say, they cured the problem for me :)

Good Luck!

Carl

bozzdrywall
12-21-2009, 06:33 AM
do most of you guys pack extra cloths like shirts sweaters soxs? how much. stoves fuel and food? what little things are hidden in your pack that are a must have?

BiG Boar
12-21-2009, 07:01 AM
TWSH told me all you really need is wiesers deluxe!

bridger
12-21-2009, 07:09 AM
wide mouth water bottle and second skin blister packs should be staples in your pack as well as a a couple of plastic garbage bags to keep your meat and pack clean.

frenchbar
12-21-2009, 07:33 AM
wide mouth water bottle and second skin blister packs should be staples in your pack as well as a a couple of plastic garbage bags to keep your meat and pack clean.

x2 on the second skin blister packs ..a definate must have or wide bandages!Nothing like gettin a couple mean blisters on your trip!

frenchbar
12-21-2009, 07:38 AM
I like to have a small plastic container /pill bottle full of pitch.. fire starter ..wood shavings ect /..nice to be able to start a fire easily if your caught out in a storm.

BiG Boar
12-21-2009, 07:46 AM

You will learn what the wide mouth water bottle is for in the middle of the night bozz.

yukon john
12-21-2009, 10:29 AM
yukonjohn Not tring to hijack this thread but may I ask what model kennetrek boot you have?

I have the mountain extreme with 400g insulation. Some other things I pack is 4 or 5 lighters (im paranoid) also for emergency fire starter I bring ZIP bar-bq starter they now come individually wrapped and they burn hot for several minutes. they are very light as well, you can get them at crappy tire. For the most part I have given up on energy bars they taste so bad I just pack snickers, Wilderness athlete sells some great drink mixes different ones for energy and recovery, and if you had to eat a energy bar theirs is the best. A little duct tape always comes in handy as well as a couple ZAP straps (saved me once when I lost the screw from my rifle sling). Paper Towel instead of toilet paper goes a lot further. Quality zip lock bags and a couple of the best garbage bags you can find. I always pack a few sets of socks I switch them out on hard days, wash them in the creek and in bad weather I wring em out and put them in the sleeping bag with me to dry. This is all in my experience, everybody has stuff that works for them

bridger
12-21-2009, 10:43 AM
i find it handy to carry a small led flashlight as well. for mathes I have a really good waterproof box that i carry strike anywhere matches in as well as a piece of heavy grit sandpaper in the box as well. never worry about the mathes starting. I use a paste firestarter, but there are lots that work well the important thing is to make sure you have some.

bruin
12-21-2009, 11:06 AM
do most of you guys pack extra cloths like shirts sweaters soxs? how much.

I always pack an extra set of clothes (underwear, pants, t-shirt), one pair of socks for every 2 days (and liners), one set of long underwear, a wool or fleece sweater, a down jacket, and one set of raingear. This is for mid season hunting, as soon as the snow hits the extra pair of pants switches to wool. I haven't found a nice compact pair of gloves that I like yet though.
Also, I wore Kennetrex ME non-inslated this past season. I was very happy with them, they kept my feet much cooler than any of the insulated boots and they are extremely light.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-21-2009, 01:08 PM
i have a pair of scarpa's boots a little heavy but good ankle support and hard sole that help propel you forward when climbing,and i always pack hard candy when on the trail its a "life saver" lol helps kill your thirst when your water is tight.

bozzdrywall
12-21-2009, 05:48 PM
great info iam lossing sleep already. Keep the good stuff flowing. Iam planning my trip around the end of sept early oct. Pretty much as soon as the elk hits the ground the sheep will be my next goal for the year.

Kody94
12-21-2009, 07:02 PM
You will learn what the wide mouth water bottle is for in the middle of the night bozz.

That's what ziplocs are for!

Everett
12-21-2009, 07:17 PM
From what I have seen they stand behind their product 100% I would be surprised if you had any trouble getting a freebie pair. They do have softer (not cheaper) soles than many hunting boots and while the sole may wear out faster they have much better traction on the rocks especially when its wet. To meet the needs of some of the customers they will soon have or do have the option of a harder sole if that is what you want.

I hope your right that they back up there product but after talking to them on the phone I was not very impressed. But we will see. As for the sole no different in my opinion for grip than anyother quality boot sole they just wore out super fast which is a cheap sole because as a manufacture if you spend the money you get a quality compounds in your rubber. As for a harder sole its called Vibram and it is the industry standard but it costs more.

Maxx
12-21-2009, 09:33 PM
I always pack an extra set of clothes (underwear, pants, t-shirt), one pair of socks for every 2 days (and liners), one set of long underwear, a wool or fleece sweater, a down jacket, and one set of raingear. This is for mid season hunting, as soon as the snow hits the extra pair of pants switches to wool. I haven't found a nice compact pair of gloves that I like yet though.
Also, I wore Kennetrex ME non-inslated this past season. I was very happy with them, they kept my feet much cooler than any of the insulated boots and they are extremely light.

I also switched to the Kenetrecks, and found them to be good....however has anyone else noticed that their grip is not as good? As compared to my meindls, they seems to have less "grab" and "bite"?

Mtnguy
12-22-2009, 03:42 PM
I have not tried the Scarpas or the Kenetreks, my 1st pair of "High end" boots are a set of Schnees Lowa Sheep Hunters, and I am totally impressed. Great support, and they show virtually no wear after my 1st season with them.

My brother has a st of Meindels, and he seems to like them ok, except that his toes go numb after a couple of days in them. The Meindels also have a stiffer sole then I like...

As far as other gear in a Sheep pack, I think that Zip firestarter is an essential. I have looked at Kifaru shelters qute a bit, Kifaru also makes very nice light weight wood burning stoves if one is so inclined. The "Cliffs Builder" brand of protien bars is very good, about 300 cal, 20 gr protien I would recomend them as something to bring along. I have been trying different types of freeze dried and so far its take it or leave it. Shin Raymen noodles are a pretty good staple as well.

Have fun with your research

MG

GoatGuy
12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
scarpas work good.

If you're hunting in the EK particularly early have your 'area' all dialed in ahead of time and travel light. Bit of food, tarp and sleeping bag is really all you need in most of the areas in the EK.

SHACK
12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
You will find lots of info if you do a few kewword searches as stated earlier, but, as far as gear, I will never go up them hills without a pair of hiking poles, they definetly take a bit of the load off your legs and help support you on the scree as well as give you a great amount of control on your way down the mountain!
The list goes on and on, and you will have to decide what you feel is an absolute must for your trip, rest assured you want to keep things to a minimum!
Another handy thing to use is compression sacks for your cloathes, tent, tarp and other packables, not just your sleeping bag. This gives you a bit more room in your pack and keeps things dry if your buy the silicone/sil tarp material type of compression sacks.
-another handy item is "towtabs", you can get em at london drugs in the travel item area. These little compressed towels are about the size of an alkaseltzer, add water and they expand into a very sturdy towel for cleaning up your unmentionables or gear (alot smaller than a roll or two of ass wipe)

NorthernWeatherby
12-24-2009, 11:03 AM
Well I am not a Sheep Hunter yet, but am planning a trip for the upcoming season. Some of the gear I have fond is as follows:

Sleeping Bag - MEC Merlin -10 C, 2.35LBS
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 4887&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701483&bmUID=1261676164080 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 4887&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701483&bmUID=1261676164080)

Tent - MSR Carbon Reflex 2 - 3.3LBS (That is 1.65LBS per person)
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 8208&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885936&bmUID=1261675820818 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 8208&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302885936&bmUID=1261675820818)

Trail Seat (For Glassing) - Therm-A-Rest Trail Seat - 0.4LBS
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444250 7429&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701547&bmUID=1261676244263 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444250 7429&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701547&bmUID=1261676244263)

Sleeping Pad - Therm-A-Rest NeoAir - 0.9LBS
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9335&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701679&bmUID=1261676457301 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9335&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701679&bmUID=1261676457301)

Cook Set - GSI Dualist (for 2) - 1.3LBS
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9466&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696309&bmUID=1261676700410 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9466&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696309&bmUID=1261676700410)

Spotting Scope - Leupold Golden Ring 12-40 x 60mm HD - 2.2LBS (Get the Kit it is a little heavier, but includes tripod, and cover for scope.)
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/spotting-scopes/golden-ring-spotting-scopes/golden-ring-12-40x60mm-hd/ (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/spotting-scopes/golden-ring-spotting-scopes/golden-ring-12-40x60mm-hd/)

Pack - Eberlestock J107 - 11LBS (at the top end)
http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm (http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm)

This is the gear that is on my wish list. I am buying the pack for my X-mas present, and all the other gear will follow.

The other thing I will be bringing along is my .300WBY mag and some Barnes 180GRN TTSX with 84GRNS of Reloader 22, backing the Bullet. This rifle is a little heavy, but has never let me down, I have a 4.5-14 Leupold VX3. Again heavy, but it has never let me down.

Happy Hunting, and good luck with your Draws.

12-24-2009, 11:05 AM
To hell with freeze dried foods.
Dried Salmon strips, lightly smoked, light wieght and great Bear attractor, tasty too. Sockeye works best.

CT

bozzdrywall
12-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Thank you guys so much for all the info. I cant wait till next year. Another quick ? what should my pack weight be around? Iam only going for 4-5 days and it should be at the end of sept early oct in the EK. the weather is not too bad around that time of year. O one more thing i was told by a friend that we could have a fire to cook our food is this a good idea? Or will the smoke scare away the sheep?

12-24-2009, 11:46 AM
I would try to keep the smoke to a min. to none.

Remember bambi .... Man is in the forest .

My packs have weighted 60 to 70 for 10 day trips, fuel, stove, food, spotting scope etc.

You should be able to get that down to 50 for a short one.

CT

bozzdrywall
12-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Just thought of something else what about bears? Should i bring the 12g defender it will make for more weight but is it worth the risk to leave it at home? After the story i read on here about the guys getting attacked by the gbear makes me think twice about bear protection

BCrams
12-24-2009, 01:04 PM
Couple thoughts to add ........

Trail Seat (For Glassing) - Therm-A-Rest Trail Seat - 0.4LBS

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444250 7429&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701547&bmUID=1261676244263 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444250 7429&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701547&bmUID=1261676244263)

Sleeping Pad - Therm-A-Rest NeoAir - 0.9LBS
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9335&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701679&bmUID=1261676457301 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9335&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302701679&bmUID=1261676457301)

Personally. Just get the ridge rest and use it as a glassing seat. Saves space / weight.

Cook Set - GSI Dualist (for 2) - 1.3LBS
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9466&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696309&bmUID=1261676700410 (http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444262 9466&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302696309&bmUID=1261676700410)

Ditch this and just buy 1 titanium pot, 1 plastic spoon. Its all you need. You can eat the freeze dried meals right from the package. SSS has a good rig we use but the jet boil would be sweet too.

Spotting Scope - Leupold Golden Ring 12-40 x 60mm HD - 2.2LBS (Get the Kit it is a little heavier, but includes tripod, and cover for scope.)
http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/spotting-scopes/golden-ring-spotting-scopes/golden-ring-12-40x60mm-hd/ (http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-shooting/products/spotting-scopes/golden-ring-spotting-scopes/golden-ring-12-40x60mm-hd/)

Good compact spotter and I use it. One day I will upgrade though to a Swaro.

Pack - Eberlestock J107 - 11LBS (at the top end)
http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm (http://www.eberlestock.com/J107%20Dragonfly.htm)

Nice packs (more suited for short couple day hunts imo). Go for a Barney pack or Mystery instead.

You're certainly a fan of MEC ......... did you know they don't support hunting ;)

12-24-2009, 01:21 PM
You got yourself a pretty good list here. I would add a needle and thread to fix your clothes or pack and it weighs almost nothing. I would also encourage you to find something to filter water with. Gardia (spelled?) or worse, beaver fever is not worth saving the 2-3 lbs. I think that keeping your rifle in your hands while in the timber would suffice for bear protection. My pack is about 60 - 65 lbs for about a 7 day hunt. Also, I bring is extra insoles, and I change them with my socks about twice a day and then tie the socks to the outside of your bag to dry. And don`t forget your vitamin I (ibuprofen). You can thank me for that one when you get back.

bozzdrywall
12-24-2009, 01:56 PM
Iam not worried about bears while i hunt its when iam sleeping that iam uneasy with

srupp
12-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Hmmmm the TENT should be bomb proof for high mountain winds, rain, MOST time is spent hiking and glassing..so sWARO spotter and field glasses..(Binos)I need the hiking poles and they helped..I took a cup, spoon and ate the mountain freeze dried stuff...pretty good only lost 22 pounds :mrgreen: the rifle Must shoot flat..my shot was 318 yards..I took a Leica rangefinder..

I bought the best out there EXCEPT for the pack frame...:(..oh well..I used the new scalpel knife..took 10 blades AWESOME...CLEANED THE cape up nice..and quick...

I took the new siltarp DOME..much nicer..makes into a small shelter for 2, easy and fast to put up, and stores your gear outside your tent @ nite protected..

cheers
Srupp

NorthernWeatherby
12-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Couple thoughts to add ........

You're certainly a fan of MEC ......... did you know they don't support hunting ;)

Yes they do they just don't know it.........:wink:

Thanks for the thoughts........will look into those other products a little more.

Buck
12-24-2009, 05:42 PM
Nice packs (more suited for short couple day hunts imo). Go for a Barney pack or Mystery instead.

Which model of these packs is recommended for sheep hunting?I get confused when i go to the site to many models to choose from.

GoatGuy
12-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Thank you guys so much for all the info. I cant wait till next year. Another quick ? what should my pack weight be around? Iam only going for 4-5 days and it should be at the end of sept early oct in the EK. the weather is not too bad around that time of year. O one more thing i was told by a friend that we could have a fire to cook our food is this a good idea? Or will the smoke scare away the sheep?

30-40 lbs max. You don't hang out in sheep country unless you're sheep hunting. Just need glass, food, water bottle, sleeping bag and a tarp.

Everett
12-25-2009, 08:53 PM
30-40 lbs max. You don't hang out in sheep country unless you're sheep hunting. Just need glass, food, water bottle, sleeping bag and a tarp.

I will second this hunters seem to carry way to much weight on there backs.
Bozz if you need to have a look at any gear drop me a line and you can pop over the house I have some pretty light stuff. Guys with bad knees tend to have the best/lightest stuff.:mrgreen:

bozzdrywall
12-25-2009, 09:21 PM
I will second this hunters seem to carry way to much weight on there backs.
Bozz if you need to have a look at any gear drop me a line and you can pop over the house I have some pretty light stuff. Guys with bad knees tend to have the best/lightest stuff.:mrgreen:
I might have to take you up on that offer thanks

Hunting guy
06-10-2012, 05:50 PM

After a long day of hiking it sucks to build a fire just to cook over... but it is nice to have one to dry out around, wood isn't always easy to find if you are up high either. I like the gas canisters to boil water for mountain house meals 1 Large canister would do you for a 4 day hunt.

RiverOtter
06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
While it is nostalgic, cooking over a fire before light and after dark is highly over rated, as you'll be hunting through the daylight hours and wanting to sleep through most of the dark hours. Put me in the canister stove camp, though I much prefer 2 smaller canisters to 1 big one, just in case there is an issue. Just added a Jet Boil Sol to my stove "Collection" this year, and from what I've seen so far, my other stoves are gonna see a lot less trail time, if any.