PDA

View Full Version : Bobcats in the fraser valley

Brew
12-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Hey guys just few questions. I have the next 3 days dedicated to calling bobcats. I have never done it but I will uses my same coyote techniques and stay on stand for an hour at a time. How do cats like the rain seeing how tomorrow is going to be a typical day here in the lower mainland. Right now I have 2 different rabbit distress calls and a squeaker. Any tips on calling would be great. I will be around Chehalis and Harrison lake. What type of terrain should I concentrate on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I was going to take my 223 but I think I will take my 17hmr with soft points instead to be a little more fur friendly.

Lucky77_
12-20-2009, 05:40 PM
onr thing i have wondered myself... pm me and let me know how u make out

Brew
12-20-2009, 06:49 PM
No cat experts on here tonight.

Steeleco
12-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Not me, but I'm waiting to learn from your question, I've a tag and a desire, just no experience!! Good luck Brew!

bsa30-06
12-20-2009, 06:55 PM
I heard a few years back that there was a cougar hangin around the east side of harrison lake down towards bear creek area.That is the extent of my cat knowledge in that area, but i look forward to pics/story of your sucess.Good Luck.

Dirty
12-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Find snow and look for tracks. Look for areas where rabbits and other small rodents inhabit.

Brew
12-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks steelco. I'll post at the end off each day.hopefully I get lucky I want one of those critters real bad

Camp Cook
12-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Try Dewdney Creek off the Coquihalla Hwy I've seen several in there over the years.

Steeleco
12-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Try Dewdney Creek off the Coquihalla Hwy I've seen several in there over the years.

We were up Dewdney on Nov 11, the snow was a real PITA. Found one set of tracks. Did I mention the snow was a PITA!!!!

snareman1234
12-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Beaver dams boys
the best cat habitat

They will hunt the edge of the pond, then walk right over the dam and all around

Beaver dams always have thick alder around them, full of rabbits, its perfect cat territory

The salmon are dead right below the beaver dam and the cats feed on them there too

wolverine
12-21-2009, 10:58 AM
Yeah, I'd watch for cougar up the east side of Harrison. If you're going with a buddy you might want him to be packing something more substantial than a .17HMR. As always, if you're using a predator call you might call in something you aren't looking for. Good luck, looking forward to your successful report.:-D

Brew
12-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Well stixandstones and I went up west Harrison today. Found a few spots that looked good and called our faces off. Blowing hand calls sure get tiresome after 15 min let alone a whole hour. The only thing interesting that we saw was some cougar scat on a good deer trail up on some rocky bluffs. Found a couple good places for deer season next year. We even hung out buy some beaver ponds and dams but did not call there. I did not read snaremans post till 4 pm. Good tip. Well tomorrow will be better weather and I will be back at it again. this time by myself. Maybe pack the shotgun in case a big cat shows up a little too close. I'll have another report tomorrow hopefully with some kitty pics.

snareman1234
12-21-2009, 05:45 PM
Here's another thing

I have tracked these cats in the snow and seen them walk streems and cross dams. but there is not a single footprint in the water.
They will walk across a 10ft long, 3 inch wide pole, right across a puddle, and they will walk a stream, meandering up and down and all around in efforts to keep their feet dry

They are very affected by weather. Lower mainland boys will remember that about a week ago we had 2 days of snow. After that storm hit, and we had cold temps and clear skys, those cats moved like crazy, they were all over those beaver ponds and alder thickets.
Its is hard to say that arent in there right now, but I really think they are sort of denned up/ not hunting alot.
The rain, low pressure system are holding those cats back.

Tonight and the coming week seem to be an end to the low pressure front we have had and I think the cats are going to run good this week.

Brew
12-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Today was day 2 of my bobcat hunt. i only put in half a day. Had some christmas shopping to do. Anyway I got up to where I was hunting and started looking for beaver ponds to call from. The first pond came up with nothing after an hour of calling. I hit up the next pond and sat in the trees. I started calling and within 10 minutes I saw some movement. i raised the binos and and still could not make out what it was, then it vanished. 2 minutes later it popped up in front of me and it was a river otter. then 2 other of its family members clicking and coughing at me. I guess the realized i was not a threat and they went off fishing. all three were catching fish. I have no clue what they were catching. This pond did not look like it would hold fish in it. They looked kinda like bass but it was hard to tell when there being torn apart by a hungry otter. I kept calling i the same spot and 20 minutes later 2 racoons showed up. Now I decided to try another spot with another pond. On the way into the beaver pond I pound some cat crap net to a big boulder and thought it was a good sign. I sat and proceeded to call some more. 2 more racoons show up but no cats. Hopefully better luck tomorrow. Great morning though seeing all the wildlife.

snareman1234
12-22-2009, 07:20 PM
heyhey right on!
Sounds like you are closing in on the furbearer hub of activity!!

well the cats did run last night, I cut some fresh track and also had a cat walk right up to a beaver carcass I have wired to a tree with 2 legholds in front of it, but he had sniff around but never stepped on the trap! so close! keeps me guessing

Brew
12-22-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the tip snareman. Those beaver ponds sure carry a lot of critters. Back at it again tomorrow.

snareman1234
12-22-2009, 07:47 PM
Oh I know eh, they are some good habitat
I have a spot that holds a cat that I probably wont trap
so after tommorow, send me a pm and if you are still looking for one I'll
point you in a good direction

maybe you can point me in the right direction for my 4pt next year hah

Brew
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Sure thing. That would be great. Thanks for the help man.

Brew
12-23-2009, 06:26 PM
Day three and did not see a single animal today. I'm thinking I should of shot the raccons yesterday, skinned them and left them for bait. I'll give the animals a break for the next few days and get back at it after christmas.

log_roller
12-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Hey guys just few questions. I have the next 3 days dedicated to calling bobcats. I have never done it but I will uses my same coyote techniques and stay on stand for an hour at a time. How do cats like the rain seeing how tomorrow is going to be a typical day here in the lower mainland. Right now I have 2 different rabbit distress calls and a squeaker. Any tips on calling would be great. I will be around Chehalis and Harrison lake. What type of terrain should I concentrate on. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I was going to take my 223 but I think I will take my 17hmr with soft points instead to be a little more fur friendly.

I don't hunt them but I have seen lots of them around Harrison lake, try north telk on the east side, follow the road past the logging camp and instead of turning left that would take you over a bridge toward silver river keep going straight past the sand banks I have seen quite a few in that area or the old chehalis road past the doorman camp on the west side id concentrate the area before the road forks to the left that would take you to chehalis lake I have seen quite a few in there too good luck

Brew
12-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks log roller. I know the chehalis road your talking about havn't made it up that far yet for cats but it looks like good habitat in there for sure. theres a few deer in that valley as well up the steep stuff on the right.