PDA

View Full Version : New to Tail Cameras have some?

Adanac00
12-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Hello all

As you can see i am new to the site. but i have been reading and watching for Months!

see my Joke in newbies fourms!

I am new to Trail Cameras and have never hunted befor! I will be Getting my CORE in the new year as soon as i can get around my work Hrs to figure out a time!

I have gotten and am Getting some Bushnell 4.0 trail cameras for xmas and i was just wondering if it is worth while setting them out over the winter on some of the back property of the Family Ranch in Reg 8-26?

I will be going up there this week and will have to do some scouting to see if there are many Deer Trails, there are lots of damn Coyotes in the area so i am sure i can find somthing to catch on Camera!

Should i Bait for my Cameras like Alfalfa or meat for the Coyotes??

as you can see i really dont know what i am doing so could use some Tips!

Thank you for your time!

Adanac00

BlacktailStalker
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Welcome to HBC Canada00.
Yeah bait is a great way to get lots of action on the camera, i would for sure put them out over the winter, just be careful not to have tracks in snow coming and going to where you set up in case somebody gets curious, follows them and finds your camera.

Adanac00
12-20-2009, 04:15 PM
BTS thats Great Advice!
This is Private Property Backed on by two other Owners and i know both of them So i am not TO TO concerend but you never know!

Adanac00

OutWest
12-20-2009, 04:37 PM
I would definitely put them up over winter and see what is hanging around the area. We keep ours out about 9 months of the year and you definitely see some changes in how the animals pattern themselves. Your cameras should be fine on private property. I've never locked mine up and haven't ever had a problem thankfully.

This is off the top of my head so someone correct me if I'm wrong but is it not illegal to bait wildlife in BC, whether you're hunting them or not?

Adanac00
12-20-2009, 04:42 PM
I hope some one has more Info on the Baiting Topic as i dont know myself!

I was more just thinking of Taking a Bale or 2 of hay and droping it out were the Camera is as we have sold all the cows off so nothing is on out on the range land anymore!

Adanac00

pete_k
12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
Trail cams are alot of fun. And best of luck on your CORE.
Try some COB (corn, oats, barley) at your local livestock feed place. Maybe a salt lick too. It's good for the deer and the yotes will sniff around at anything. So you should have your bases covered.

Pack up some branches around the cams. Avoid leaving your tracks behind if you can and try not to let anyone see what you are doing.

Have fun and post those pics when you get some.

I'm not sure. But is feeding wildlife legal when using a trail-cam in the off season?

OutWest
12-20-2009, 05:03 PM
Trail cams are alot of fun. And best of luck on your CORE.
Try some COB (corn, oats, barley) at your local livestock feed place. Maybe a salt lick too. It's good for the deer and the yotes will sniff around at anything. So you should have your bases covered.

Pack up some branches around the cams. Avoid leaving your tracks behind if you can and try not to let anyone see what you are doing.

Have fun and post those pics when you get some.

I'm not sure. But is feeding wildlife legal when using a trail-cam in the off season?

I thought the regulations stated that feeding wildlife, no matter what the circumstances is illegal but like I said that's off the top of my head and I could very well be wrong.

pete_k
12-20-2009, 05:08 PM
I thought the regulations stated that feeding wildlife, no matter what the circumstances is illegal but like I said that's off the top of my head and I could very well be wrong.

Baiting deer is legal when your hunting them. I'm just not sure about off season for trail cam pics.

ElkMasterC
12-20-2009, 06:23 PM
This is off the top of my head so someone correct me if I'm wrong but is it not illegal to bait wildlife in BC, whether you're hunting them or not?

You can bait coyotes and wolves, and I don't think anyone would mind leaving a little alfalfa out for some deer pics. Especially on private property.
Just make sure it's outside of hunting season, and should be no worries.

dino
12-20-2009, 07:02 PM
you dont need to go very far to set up the cams. you can do that locally. I have three and have them set up around manning park near my cabin. They are lots of fun and I have never set a cam up without getting at least a dozen shots of animals. I have had up to 400 shots in three weeks on a cam. you can really learn alot from them. if you have any questions dont hesitate to ask.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee306/heydino/IM000007.jpg

Adanac00
12-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah no at this point no one in my family has a Hunting Licence and the season is over!!
it will all be on Private Property and i guess Unless some one says its ok i will just put a camera up if i can find a Trail with Fresh Tracks on it !!!
or maybe if i see were the Coyotes have been hanging out i can put one there to!

And i am just more interested in learning what i can for now about deer movment and anything else i can catch!

Thanks so for for all the replys thats what makes this such a great site!

Adanac00

hunter1947
12-20-2009, 09:40 PM
If you have snow forget it ,you will leed a thief to you trail camera.

It is a good idea to put your trail cam out for the winter thats if you don't have no snow.

Adanac00
12-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah like i said i am not to worried about Theft as its pretty far out there from any roads. and i know the two other property Owners that are against ours and its about 750 acers of land sournding our 100 so i am not to worried!!

I will be out Xmas morning looking for DEER Tracks :mrgreen:

And if i cant find good sign i will set up for some Coyotes!!

Adanac00

bridger
12-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I hope some one has more Info on the Baiting Topic as i dont know myself!

I was more just thinking of Taking a Bale or 2 of hay and droping it out were the Camera is as we have sold all the cows off so nothing is on out on the range land anymore!

Adanac00

dump a couple of bags of barley along with your alfalfa bales. works great

hunter1947
12-21-2009, 07:31 AM
I use oats sometimes work good as well $12.00 for a 40 pound bag.