PDA

View Full Version : My first buck

bearhunter338-06
12-20-2009, 01:21 AM
How many of you remember your fist buck.
My first dear came to me when my hunting buddy was driving us back home as we entered a new clear cut he said "We wont see a deer hear". Went around a corner and there was a buck and 2 doe's. Buck broadside 30 yards away. I get out of the truck and through 2 shells into my rifle. Bang buck looks at me (Yes I missed at 30 yards) Bang buck is still looking at me (Yes that's 2 misses at 30 yards). The buck starts running away from me I through another shell in the rifle close the bolt. I place the cross hairs on the running buck, as the buck is going up and down in my cross hairs, I steady my breathing. The buck comes up and I squeeze the trigger "BANG" the buck goes down. The shoot from my Ruger M77 MKII put the 160gr Nosler Partition through the neck, the dear was dead before it hit the ground.

That was my first buck and I can still picture the shot in my head till this day.

Lee
12-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Mine was with my father-in-law. He's gettin on in years so he likes to drive alot. Seems that we had gone around the little loop in this clear for the 4th (or was that 40th?) time and there he was. Perfect 4x4, 100 yards away....and on the old man's side of the truck. I jumped out, loaded 3, chambered one and headed up to the front of the truck...which gave me a poor shot to make (quartered), but in my moment of buck lust I took it anyway...BOOM!! That fuggin thing did a half spin bounced hard twice and disappeared on me. "O FFS", I said. "Did I miss?"

I didn't wait for a reply as I was already hightailing it in the same direction as the bullet I just shot. Got to where the buck was and BLOOD! WOOT! I didn't miss after all....no kiddin, there he was 15 feet in front of me....and about 20 feet straight down :) Put that bullet through his neck, into the heart/lung and lodged in a rib. Kept the casing, the slug and that damn nice rack. :D

OutWest
12-20-2009, 05:20 AM
I remember my first buck like it was yesterday. WT Youth Season when I was very, very young. I was hunting with my dad and uncle as well as my best friend and his dad on their private land. We were hunting his fields that bordered some nice timber. I heard my friend fire a shot and soon after he got on the radio very excited and he told us that he had just shot his first deer. Him and his Dad drove around and picked up my Dad, Uncle and myself from where we were and drove us to a spot on the timberline as there was other bucks out in the field. Once they picked us up I remember seeing my best friends deer in the back of the truck and I immediately got a severe case of buck fever.

We arrived at the spot where we would make our stalk from. My dad and I crept through the timber for a few hundred yards as the rest of them watched the fields from afar. We got to the timberline and I spotted the 2 bucks bedded down beside each other. I waited for them to get up and and they began feeding. Both presented me broadside shots at only 80 yards but I couldn't pull the trigger. My dad asked why I hadn't shot and the only answer I had for him was a very serious and agitated look back at him. A minute later I pulled the trigger and watched my first buck drop to the ground.

I couldn't have been more excited. Shooting my first buck with my Dad, Uncle and my best friend was an experience I will never forget. I've shot many animals since then, most much larger than that buck but my first buck will always be my best one.

hunter1947
12-20-2009, 07:15 AM
I shot a spiker down in sannich inlet I was 11 years old at that time ,I remember it like it was only yesterday http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

doubled
12-20-2009, 09:19 AM
A buddy and myself were driving up a road and we saw two deer on the side hill broadside at about 65 yards. I immediately saw the antlers and stopped and got out. I slammed my clip in my 6.5x55, raised the rifle and let fly.

It was thick brush and we saw deer go straight up and I assumed it was the one I was shooting at. We hiked the hill and looked for any sign that would indicate a hit but found nothing after approx 1 hour.

I figured I would go back down to where I fired at the buck and as soon as I got there, I noticed a blood drip. I then saw another drip but it was about 10 feet to the side and not up. WTF??? I continued on sideways on the hill and found more blood and after 25 yards, there was my first muley behind a fallen tree like somebody was trying to hide him. Man, was I ever happy.

There must have been three deer because after the shot we both saw two deer go straight up the hill and assumed that he was one of them. That is why I always look everywhere for sign unless it is brutally obvious.

bowhunterbruce
12-20-2009, 09:53 AM
my first deer came back in 75.i was finally aloud to go hunting with dad for "the bigger game animals".dad ,his friend and myself headed up to pemberton meadows.we found a cut block what seemed like 20 miles up the valley off to the right.after setting up camp i went for a hike up the hill and found a nice place to sit and watch a vast aray of deer trails just inside the bushline of that cut block.
around 2 pm i see some 11 bt deer makeing thier way uphill however i wasnt close enough to see if any were bucks.
i get back to camp and tell the olman what i saw and both him and his friend are not believeing a word i was saying as they didnt see anything in thier afternoon of scouting things out thier way.
the next morning before first light i leave camp with my winchester 30-30 and climb back up that hill,this time i find myself a nice comfortable seat on a rock that was just like having my very own private chair,backrest arms and even a footstool lol not 25 yards off to one side of the trail i saw the 11 deer on the afternoon before.
around 830ish am i hear a snap and look over to see 2 does walking by and to my surprise all i can see is thier head and necks.then out comes the most beautiful 2x2 i had ever see at that point in my life.(hadn't seen any bucks before this).
well the arm on my chair became a great rest as i took aim and dropped him with one behind the ear.
about 10 minutes later i hear the ol man calling from below did ya get him.
they made thier way up the hill to show me how to gut a deer.
that afternoon both dad and his buddy sat on "my trail" and wouldn't ya know it 2;10 pm and here come the gang of 11 and sure enough there was a buck amongest them that dads buddy trys to take and he miss's then dad gets a shot at him and he miss's him as well, however his shot did take down a lil spiker {after it deflects off a tree]
needless to say i came home with the bigger of the 2 deer and i was soooooooooooo very happy
i too remember it like it was yesterday
bruce

BearStump
12-20-2009, 10:09 AM
I was reminded of my first buck the other day. I think it was either ToddBartell, or Gatehouse that said "with a 300 win mag. 180 gr. the deer DROPS, even with an ass shot!"
Well they are right. Thats exactly where I shot my first.
60 yds, slightly up hill. I was prone and straining to get a good shot at last light. the buck turned up hill and started walking into the treeline. I cracked one from the browning BAR 300 win mag. hit right at the tail stump, and opened up the belly like a 18" zipper on the way out. buck made it about 20 yds then went for a really long nap.
It was a big 2x2 with real nice size for his age. around the Quesnel area. had a huge neck and was ruttin' hard.
I opt for better shot's ever since. that one stunk pretty good while cleaning.

Will
12-20-2009, 10:12 AM
My 1st Buck.....some 20 years ago...hmmmmm long story but I do know he died and I ate him:-D

Still got this pic too......man who's that young punk with the fugly 94 winchester:oops::wink:

http://usera.ImageCave.com/BCWilly/Wills/IMG_2606.JPG

pnbrock
12-20-2009, 10:31 AM
remember my first buck like it was yesterday bought an old lee enfield 303 from a guy i worked for $30 came with a box of shells too.went to pemberton was goin hunting with a friend and father ,he tells us 19year old punks if you want a buck you must climb them there hills little did we know he would drive to the other side and wait for us to push deer over.nevertheless we didnt see much but he allways saw plenty .one eveving we got into the wiskey with the oldman needless to say we werent feeling to great in the morning the oldman wasnt gettin up that morning so off we went .didnt walk to far you know why !sat on o rock just about to go back to sleep when my buddy says its a deer sure enough a deer was walking right to us .so i raised my pos rifle a wow i actually hit it!now the hard part have to gut this deer with a wicked hangover never good.after fumbling around with the little spiker got the job done first time field dressing sure looked easier in the core book!

Sitkaspruce
12-20-2009, 11:25 AM
My first was a spiker. We were driving back from a spur up in the Cayacus when we came around a corner and there were deer everywhere. We both jumped out and started to load our guns. I went one way and the partner went the other. I spotted a nice two point looking at me, brought up the old 30-30 1897 with the octogon 26" barrel and sighted along the sights, just as I was about the squeeze (jerk) one off, my partner starts shooting. It scared the hell out of me and I jumped. As I gathered my wits, the two point was gone, but a spiker was up on the bank looking the other way. I repeated the gun thing and shot him through the ribs at ~50 yards. He did the bang/flop and never moved. Neither did I for (it seemed an hour:-D) about 30 seconds as I could not believe I just shot my first deer. I ran over, looked at it and then started to yell. Boy was I excited!!!!!

That day we ended up with a doe and a buck each, then as we were driving out, the linkage went in the truck and all we had was first gear (old three in the tree tranny). We drove from 27km on the Cayacus until we blew throat bearing in the truck by the old Dutch Latch resaurant on the Malahat.

What a day and from that day I was infected with a bug that runs my life for 5 months of the year (and has a say for the other 7:-D:wink:)

Cheers

SS

OutWest
12-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Love hearing everyone reminisce. I don't think there is anything better than shooting your first buck.

mark
12-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Pics are better than a 1000 words guys!

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/CCF06132008_00001_Medium_.jpg

riflebuilder
12-21-2009, 11:20 AM
My first buck was a whitetail that I got while pheasant hunting. I had shot this pheasant and it landed in a big brush patch so I go in to get it and this whitetail buck jumps up about 5 feet away from me and runs right at me so I just shot him in the neck and down he went. Just after I shot a guy runs over the hill asking if we had seen a deer he had shot we said yep right here, I was glad he tagged it as it was shot in the hind quarters and one front shoulder was messed up so not much eadiable meat on him. Later that afternoon I shot my first mulie a fat little 2 point with my uncles 303. I was one happy 14 yr old a day I will never forget.

Shooter Jr.
12-21-2009, 12:52 PM
My first buck was taken this year.... There isn't much of a story really we were just driving around after a walk and sure enough there he was standing away about 80 yards. Fumbled a bit then got the shell in my .243. BANG hes still standing there holy crap I missed?:eek:. I was just about to shoot him again then he stumbled and fell. Nice little 2.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee38/tnlpinkney/P1020100.jpg

showtimebc
12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
my first buck was a 2x2 sitka blacktail taken in QCI back in 1994 when I was 10 years old. I have it mounted in my parents house at the moment. No pic here to show it.

troutseeker
12-21-2009, 02:54 PM
My first buck was a nice Vancouver Island 2X3. I snuck up to about 35 yards in a downpour and put an arrow thru his lungs. 65 yards later he was down. That old PSE bow with the wooden limbs served me well and I took my first dozen deer with it.

bridger
12-21-2009, 04:12 PM
i was 10 years old shooting a model 94 in 32 winchester special. my older brother jumped two mulie bucks and they came running right at me. when they saw me the 3pt reared up his back legs to turn around and i shot him when his front feet were off the ground. seems like yesterday.