PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Pack

BOOTS!
12-19-2009, 12:43 AM
I'm getting carried away here, but I want to be ready to go next Season and am starting to put together a day pack to take hunting.

What do you think are the -essential- contents of a hunting pack?

I'm just going to ramble here so in no particular order...

Map, Compas, Gps, Binoculars, Batteries, Gutting kit, First Aid kit, Food, Water, Emergency blanket, Lighter and firestarting sticks, Sweater, Touque, mitts, Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer, Ammo, Gun oil, leatherman, big orange garbage bags, ziplock bags, ... what else?

The Hermit
12-19-2009, 12:52 AM
camera, spotting scope (depending), extra knife, money, credit card,

spreerider
12-19-2009, 03:13 PM
camera, binos, snacks, rope, knife, firestarters and lighter, TP.

Kody94
12-19-2009, 03:29 PM
Flask of Wisers

Lucky77_
12-19-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm getting carried away here

Map, Compas, Gps, Binoculars, Batteries, Gutting kit, First Aid kit, Food, Water, Emergency blanket, Lighter and firestarting sticks, Sweater, Touque, mitts, Toilet Paper, Hand Sanitizer, Ammo, Gun oil, leatherman, big orange garbage bags, ziplock bags, ... what else?

loose the compass if you have gps and need the help, personally i would leave the gps batteries are a pain .get a LED flash light that should last what is a gutting kit??? a knife and sharpener, food (cliff builder bars 20gr protine), awsome. leave the hand sanitizer, take some booze it tasts better to toate the hunting gods other wise its pointless. your fire is the most important thing pay attn to what will make life easer if you need one ZIP in the indvidual packs is one i like just be sure you put it in a ziplock. sweater might add a lot of bulk and may not be really needed till late season mitts are a great idea but once again.... you need to dress in layers and put them in your pack as the day goes on. Water is the biggest pain in the ass but you will need it if there is no sorce near by. somthing to think about.

good hunting and be safe a year in planning and you should have it refined

LKY

GoatGuy
12-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Flask of Wisers
Take a suitcase, at least it has a handle on it. :mrgreen:

MidnightRun
12-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I would recomend a good headlamp such as the petzl tikka to add to your list. Drag an animal out in the dark and you will realize the benefit of a flashlight. Drag an animal out in the dark with a flashlight and you will realize the beauty of a headlamp.

Ron.C
12-19-2009, 06:29 PM
I used to carry all kinds of shit until two years ago when I tried a solo pack in trip for a goat. I learned while preparing for this trip most of what I carried was not required and just added needless weight. So I dropped alot of gear and saved alot of weight. If you are putting together a survival kit, it's just that. Pack only what you need to use if your in a pickle, and only carry what you need to deal with an animal once it's down.

Survival Kit
Fire paste, matches, lighter "satisfies need for fire"

2 space blankets "satisfies need for shelter"

cliff bar/candy bar " I already carry food for the day, this is survival food only"

S.P.O.T "I can be found anywhere/anytime with this"

Small container with a few motrin, pepto tablets, water purification tabs

leatherman

Gear in Hunting Pack
4 game bags
40 feet of 1/8" rope
knife/sharpener
headlamp+handheld flashlight
food/water for the day
gps/map/compass
bear spray
cell phone
appropriate clothing "coat/rain gear/touque/gloves" depending on the weather
calls/scents depending on game I'm hunting

BOOTS!
12-20-2009, 02:31 AM
Thanks guys! I guess a Camera is something so damn obvious i completely over looked it.

The headlamp is a gee why didn't i think of that thing too. If deer are active mostly at dusk, it'll be dark on the way back to the truck for sure!

As for Rope, this is for dragging a kill to a suitable spot to put it in the truck? I can only imagine ow hard that would be on the shoulders and back without a proper harness though.

todbartell
12-20-2009, 10:55 PM
I usually pack some water, food, gps, hunting license, shooting stix, knife, saw, packable rain jacket, few extra rounds of ammo. My daypack is an Eberlestock X2 and I love it

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs215.snc1/8219_148921682991_512917991_2737853_4257036_n.jpg

Moose Guide
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
Tp,flaging tape, water, firestarter, first aid kit, camera and led light, also a flare----ALWAYS TELL SOMEONE WHERE YOUR GOING!!!!!!

Bow Walker
01-05-2010, 10:13 AM
When I pack my Badlands Diablo I put stuff in there that I think I may need in a worst-case-scenario situation. In other words, stuff for having to spend a night (or two) outdoors with nothing but what you're carrying - and, with the possibility of an injury to complicate things.

So, I think about "creature comfort" and pack...
T.P. (also makes good fire starter)
Granola bar(s)
Water bottle and purification tablets
Waterproof matches and Bic lighter(s)
Fire starters (Vaseline soaked steel wool)
40 - 50 ft of small diameter rope (surprising, the uses that it can be for)
First Aid kit (bandaids, polysporin, needle and thread, tylenol, prescription meds, etc.)
Compass/map of area
Flashlight, headlamp (change batteries every season)
Extra knife & a sharpener
Small hatchet (on my belt)
Extra ammo
Gloves
Sox
Survival blanket(s) [like RonC says, two is great]
Signalling whistle
Leatherman

If I'm bow hunting I also take extra release rope (and an extra release), bow press, and a broadhead sharpener.

There must be things that I've either overlooked or forgotten, but I try to plan for an emergency and pack accordingly.

Oh yeah....telling someone where you're going and when you expect to be back should be a given, so don't forget to do it.

BearStump
01-05-2010, 10:39 AM
hand sanitizer and gun oil? On a day trip? those two are just taking up space, leave 'em out.

CanuckShooter
01-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Condoms:mrgreen::mrgreen: every good boy scout comes prepared!!