PDA

View Full Version : Cabela's Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Pack

Centerfire
12-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Can anyone please give me some feedback on this pack:
Cabela's Extreme Alaskan Outfitter Pack

Looking for something fairly affordable (my mortgage payments are brutal). :icon_frow
I definately want an external frame pack for carrying out quarters.

Thanks

plumbcrazy
12-19-2009, 07:36 PM
Got one 2 seasons ago. Alittle heavier than my old camp trails OMEGA, but after afew cuts and removall of extra shit. It works good and can handle the heavy loads. Hey, from Cabelas if your not happy send it back. If I was to get another it would be the wilderness wonderer.

GoatGuy
12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
Had one for probably 6 years, it works fine, starting to fall apart but that's to be expected. Usually just use the frame, don't use the bag all that often although it has served its purpose as well.

kootenayelkslayer
12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
I've got a couple. Their pretty good, affordable, and light.

325 wsm
12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
To top heavy the way they are designed. the wilderness wanderer keeps the weight down much lower and is more comfortable, but costs more.

Moose Guide
01-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I used my outfitters and tore the shoulder straps right off it (my cheep Taymor is tougher) Look at Idaho Bull Packs, very tough and cheaper than wanderer by a long ways!!!:-D

muledeercrazy
01-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Dont some of the internal frame packs handle quarters pretty well and have good options? They are alot more expensive, but not when you compare a wilderness wanderer to an eberlestock. I have a badlands pack i really like, and i am going to get alot more opinions before i decide to go with the W.W over the eberlestock or badlands 4500.

muledeercrazy
01-02-2010, 06:22 PM
To top heavy the way they are designed. the wilderness wanderer keeps the weight down much lower and is more comfortable, but costs more.

I have been told that for men it is better to have the weight up off the bottom of the pack where a meatshelf would be for an external frame pack. A little less than half way up the back for centre of gravity. I have read this on several pack makers sites, and dont know if it is true or not.

Devilbear
01-02-2010, 07:26 PM
That is where I prefer my center of weight to be and not many frame packs will keep it there. Most sway too much and are too far from your spine to allow you to keep your best balance, this is really crucial in areas like the West Kootenays. I damm near died in Evans Creek Canyon in the Valhallas, years ago, due to my Fjallraven Expedition frame pack.

I have had about everything, except a Barney's and while my Bullpac Alaskan was stout, it made me lean to far forward with loads of 70 lbs. and over. But, my Kifaru Longhunter Rendevous did the same thing, so, internals are not always a solution.

The BEST frame packs, I have ever used are the old Dana Design Loadmasters built in Bozeman, MT, and Mexico, under Dana's supervision, after he sold to K2 in 1995. I have two of these and sold another which was a "medium" and slightly too small for me.

These packs came in a number of bag configurations, they can be found used on "e-bay" and by posting on American bacxkpacking sites. A minty one will run you about $350.00 CDN., delivered, all in and I can pack over 100 lbs. in comfort with one and I am not exactly a kid...and I go SLOWLY up them damm hills.

Guys are starting to search these out, so, do some Googling and check them out, they REALLY work.

muledeercrazy
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
so for a pack in trip, or a sheep hunt in the mountains would you recommend a internal or an external frame pack? Do you think the Dana packs you specified are the best way to go period, or just the best ext. frame pack? Thanks

humble hunter
01-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I have one and packed 2 elk out this year long distances with no problems. Took it sheep hunting last year, packed with tent and all the gear had no problems. Good value for the money.

Devilbear
01-02-2010, 08:18 PM
so for a pack in trip, or a sheep hunt in the mountains would you recommend a internal or an external frame pack? Do you think the Dana packs you specified are the best way to go period, or just the best ext. frame pack? Thanks

At the moment, I have 12 highend packs and use each one for different purposes. IF, I HAD to keep ONE only, ghastly thought, it would be my Mystery Ranch NICE Overkill frame with 6500 bag, twin Fliptops, twin Longpockets, a few Kifaru GPS pockets, a Kifaru Combat Gunbearer bottom and Gun Corral top strap and ammo holder on the belt, I will add a MR Bottle Pocket this spring. I would probably get the new 7500 bag if they had offered it when I bought mine.

This is the single finest, most versatile pack I have or have ever had and I have five MR packs and three older genuine Danas and I seldom carry anything else. With the exception of a full Dyneema Inex custom pack from Dan McHale of Seattle, mucho bux, these are THE packs for performance, comfort, longevity and, in my honest opinion, real value.

They are heavy, very expensive and, if you use them hard and treat them right, your grandson will use the same pack. My first DD pack is like new, has had huge use and I bought it in spring, 1978.

Again, the DD Loadmasters ARE OUT THERE, I bought three minty ones in 2009, search them out, ask me for fitting help if you want and you WILL have a fine all-around pack for hunting.

muledeercrazy
01-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Thank-you!