PDA

View Full Version : hiking and hunting

.300WSMImpact!
12-18-2009, 09:20 PM
I find myself deep in the bush 2 to 4 hour hike from my car, when I see a good animal to take, but pass on it because I am alone. Do any of you hunt far from roads or good access, and if so how do you get your animal out of the area without it spoiling (early season), or having other animals steal it?

jessonml
12-18-2009, 09:24 PM
I think it would depend on what type of animal.

leadpillproductions
12-18-2009, 09:26 PM
i always seem to be a ways away . if you debone a deer you can pack that in a pack with out of a problem . Even my big bull boned out 3.5 quarters 202 lbs at meat cutter one shoulder had some blood shot opps

leadpillproductions
12-18-2009, 09:27 PM
my elk this fall me and my buddy pack out filled up mine and his pack one trip heavy but we hiked it back 2k

.300WSMImpact!
12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
I guess I am just scared of all that work deep in the bush, I have never de-boned in the wilderness, how do you keep it from getting full of dirt?

leadpillproductions
12-18-2009, 09:37 PM
use moss or cheese cloth you can just put it in as you take it off .the way to debone you seam the muscle groups then just pull off the muscles (like a qiad has four muscles in it

Lee
12-18-2009, 09:38 PM
8x10 tarp folded up neatly in the pack - lightweight, durable - doubles as shelter.

Or skin one side, remove the meat, then flip, rinse repeat.

1/2 slam
12-18-2009, 09:38 PM
De bone and Back pack. We do fly ins most years. We've de boned and packed moose more than 5 miles. Mind you there were four of us and it still took 2 trips apiece.:-D

MikeH
12-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I'm one for deep back country hunts, sometimes I get over my head but that's what i love the hard hunts those are the memories I love.road hunting is for fags!:)
It all comes down to planning dude the easy part is squeezing the trigger then the work begins we all know that, cheese cloth and meat pack are your best tools for deep hunts.

ufishifish2
12-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I find myself deep in the bush 2 to 4 hour hike from my car, when I see a good animal to take, but pass on it because I am alone.
If you are deep in the bush 2 to 4 hour hike from your car and see a good animal to take, but pass it up.......um....are you really hunting, or just hiking with a gun?
Personally, my option is to return home and get a quad, but you may not have that option. If I can't get it out, I'm not hunting there!

Gateholio
12-18-2009, 09:54 PM
YOu prepe before you go. Always EXPECT to come home with an animal! I've been caught a few times when I went out for a "short hike, probably won't see anything" and BANG there is a deer down...:-D

Take a pack that you can expand to carry your boned out deer, carry game bags (I use pillow cases that have been retired form active duty in a hotel) and bring some rope and a knife..

Bone out the deer, put it in game bags, let it cool as much as you can, pack it up and go. If it's a moose, the procedure is the same but you will be making many trips.

My friend Steve uses a ghetto pack frame that he straps a day pack to. Day pack carries his lunch and gear, and when he kills something, he ties it to packframe and slings the day pack over. I'm much more socially conscious, so I use a Mystery ranch pack and NICE frame, but they both do the same thing. Difference is about $600.:mrgreen:

Lee
12-18-2009, 09:58 PM
Here's a good read:

http://www.simplesurvival.net/remove_deer_from_field.htm

Will
12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
(I use pillow cases that have been retired form active duty in a hotel)
Not from any Hotels near Vanderhoof I hope.......those ones should be burned:-|

Yep expect the unexpected......if your gonna hunt four hours hike from the vehicle expect that you might actually shoot something 4 hours from the vehicle:wink:

trapperdan2061
12-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Well the year before last I was about 5 hrs from my truck got this Buck and needed a way to get it out.

Improvise, Overcome, Adapt HOOOORAAAA

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/trapperdan2061/IMG_3178.jpg?t=1261200162

Went in in the dark and came out in the dark but a good hunt goes that way

leadpillproductions
12-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Well the year before last I was about 5 hrs from my truck got this Buck and needed a way to get it out.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm257/trapperdan2061/IMG_3178.jpg?t=1261200162

that is freakin awsome . Who every said someone cant do something should be kicked in the junk

300win
12-18-2009, 10:36 PM
Here's a good read:

http://www.simplesurvival.net/remove_deer_from_field.htm

Great read !!! I see a lot of blogs on here where hunters have there racks slung to their packs without any kind of cover/blaze orange/. You are just a target for some untrained hunter itiching to bag a bc book elk,deer etc. Be safe and happy hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink:

Jelvis
12-18-2009, 11:15 PM
Are you meat hunting ? Are you trophy hunting and meat ?
If it's just good early deer meat then go in any buck October near a road.
Why would you go two hour hike for a two point ? See them close to secondary fsr's. Might see big one also.
Trophy bucks way back is different though, I guess that is what your hunting for, by the sound of it. From early September to October 15th up high and back.
Jel -- have a pack board and debone fast -- put in cloth sacks -- go >

gibblewabble
12-18-2009, 11:23 PM
I carry a couple of safety vests to wear and tie to game they dont take up much room in the pack and they are cheap to buy (ice climbing pack w/ lots of tie points), a roll of snare wire in case you get lost or need to rig up something to drag with and 100' of min. 1/4" rope. Plan for success and hell if you have to hang part of the animal for the next trip at least you have something with you to do it. I have had to pack moose out over 2 days before, makes you appreciate it more when you eat it.

DV-67
12-19-2009, 06:39 AM

Trapperdan2061 the "Macgyver of hunting".

Thats a nice pic and a good idea.

Devilbear
12-19-2009, 07:33 AM
I have passed on my share due to being deeper into the weeds than would allow me to pack anything out, even with the top quality packs I used. In some early seasons, it is SO warm during much of the day and even at night, that a large animal can "sour" pretty quickly, a friend of mine lost a really nice Kootenay 6-pt. this way and was totally bummed out as he was a very concientious hunter.

I ALWAYS carry a pack, with an "emerg". camp and the means to deal with meat if I shoot something where I, at 63, can realistically backpack it out. I have a light "painter's dropcloth" for putting pieces of boned meat on to keep ANY organic debris/soil off of it as this WILL contribute to more rapid onset of putrefaction, several SILNYLON packliners to carry meat in, ultralight, very costly and totally worth it, but, DO NOT leave warm meat in them for very long!

I have a bottle of malt vinegar, NO, down Gatehouse, NOT whisky!, and I mix this with water and sponge off my meat as I take it from the silbags at the truck and put it into old pillowcases or laundry bags or, he he, MEC, cloth bags meant for storing sleeping bags.

With this and the appropriate pack, I can bone, pack and save meat with efficiency and while the initial cost of a GOOD pack is high, it will last for a lifetime and helps to make it possible to hunt far from the road and still "bring home the bacon". My summer hikes show me just how far I can realistically expect to pack meat and I hunt within this shrinking range as I age.

Preplanning and the right gear are key here.

tomahawk
12-19-2009, 07:43 AM
I find myself deep in the bush 2 to 4 hour hike from my car, when I see a good animal to take, but pass on it because I am alone. Do any of you hunt far from roads or good access, and if so how do you get your animal out of the area without it spoiling (early season), or having other animals steal it?

I wouldn't be that far into the bush if I didn't have intentions to shoot an animal. Why not stay within your shooting range from the truck? Having to do a little work to get meat is not an issue for me, only ever shot 2 animals near a road, most take a day or 2 to be retrieved from the bush. Makes the meat taste better come the winter.

hunter1947
12-19-2009, 07:51 AM
I take my meat back pack when I go that far back in ,If I get something I will clean ,skin and bone it out asap ,then I take out the first load of meat about 1k go back and get the next load ,I do this till all the animal is at the second way point then I will continue doing this till all is out to the truck.

kennyj
12-19-2009, 08:20 AM
I de-bone every thing,even close to the truck.Its very easy.Probably lots of instructional videos out there.
kenny
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/BT_09_001.jpg

.300WSMImpact!
12-19-2009, 09:27 AM
I am mostly only shot big monsters, unless moose then it is immi, I do enjoy the wilderness so if I dont tag something I still had enjoyment being where I love, so I guess you can say I hike with a gun, but from what some of you guys are telling me I think this year I will be shooting something deep in the woods, I dont mind the work, love the pictures they are inspiring

husky30-06
12-19-2009, 10:41 AM
I have shot them out that far........ but alone? not very often, I can also call a friend, from town or make a new one (hopfully an HBC'er):mrgreen::mrgreen:
I will be venturing out further and further each year, but I try not to do that alone. 14 years in SAR, I learned that it really is not a good habit!:???:

BlacktailStalker
12-19-2009, 11:05 AM
If i shoot something its always far enough away to have to be packed out. Usually deboned.
Even if you don't have to, its easier and cleaner than dealing with it at home.

MikeH
12-19-2009, 11:57 AM

I like your thinking.:-D

12-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Even 4 hours in if I see a good one .... Boom !!

Hammer it, even early season, debone it, take out a portion, hang the rest in a safe area, go back the next day.

Whats the point of hiking in that far if your not going to shoot any way?

Or be prepared to spend the night.

CT

Moose72
12-19-2009, 01:16 PM
http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/...bucket/236.jpg

All alone far from the boat.

BearStump
12-19-2009, 01:53 PM
I learned this year that hike in hunts require planning ahead. a good pack that can handle the weight, game bags, and you can never have enough strong twine or rope. after a 5 hr. pack out with a bear this fall (the hard way) I'll be sure to be more prepared if I ever do that again.

as far as passing up on an animal. I've only ever done that once.
I was approx 16 km from the truck for spring bear. the truck could definatly not get closer if I wanted it to, due to snow. spotted the nicest bear I've ever seen. about 7' caramel coloured bear with chocolate brown legs. stalked in to about 200 yds. then thought to myself..........how in the blazing hell am I gonna get this sucker out of here?
absolutely no-way in that particular situation. It sucked having to make that decision, but I dont regret it.

OutWest
12-19-2009, 08:13 PM
I hike many miles into where we hunt. Usually we quarter the animal up and everyone carries what they can. I would never hike in anywhere without a pack or pack frame, lots of rope and plenty of cheese cloth. It's pretty easy (other than the hiking) and it's definitely well worth it. I'd much more prefer that than shooting something from the vehicle which is why we don't road hunt.

Laurence_Erickson
12-19-2009, 08:29 PM
Deer that size dan make a ready built pack ,you might want to pack surveyors ribbon and will get a little blood in your shorts .:)

Ozone
12-19-2009, 08:41 PM
what size pack would a guy need to pack a deboned deer or quartered deer?

KevinB
12-19-2009, 09:02 PM

If it's fully deboned you don't need a huge pack, but it does need to be able to carry weight reasonable well. I've fit a carefully deboned average sized ~4 year old muley buck into a 40 litre daypack (had to carry the head and the backstraps strapped to the side of the pack). More space makes for easier packing though especially if you have other gear with you. If you just quarter it up, a full size 80-ish litre pack will make things much easier if you want to make it all in one go. But then you'll be looking at somewhere around 120-140 pounds.:eek: Or more if it is a big bodied deer. Much better to debone, you can easily keep it under 100 and more likely you can get it down to 60-70 pounds if you're careful with the deboning.

If you have an external frame pack you're pretty much limited to how much you can safely carry and how creative you can get strapping stuff to it.

OutWest
12-19-2009, 09:34 PM

I have one of Eberlestock's newest packs. I hunt big game a long ways away from any roads or anything and this pack has everything I need.

Big Lew
12-19-2009, 09:46 PM
In my early years of packing out deer, I used a over-sized "trapper nelson pack on a wooden frame. It was murder on my shoulders though as it had canvas pack straps. Finally wised up and spent the money for an aluminum framed expandable pack with a bottom shelf complete with padded straps, head strap, and hip and chest straps. When on back country treks I am used to carrying 60-80 lbs. so packing out a quartered, skinned, and "meat-sacked" deer with this rig works, although now at 64, I make 2 trips. (never de-boned them, but it is something I might try now) I have also carried them out by making a pack out of them by toggling the front foreleg through the back knees, but it is pure torture if you don't have thick pads for your shoulders. And as mentioned, it is wise to place a bright vest over the deer even if you have skinned it out. A word of caution....it is also advisable to wear stout "above ankle" boots for the extra support to lessen the risk of twisting or spraining an ankle while carrying very heavy loads. Using a stout walking stick is also a good idea to help with your balance, especially through logging slashes and rock fields etc.

kennyj
12-19-2009, 10:08 PM
I like the badlands 2200.
kenny

OutWest
12-20-2009, 05:36 AM
In my early years of packing out deer, I used a over-sized "trapper nelson pack on a wooden frame. It was murder on my shoulders though as it had canvas pack straps. Finally wised up and spent the money for an aluminum framed expandable pack with a bottom shelf complete with padded straps, head strap, and hip and chest straps. When on back country treks I am used to carrying 60-80 lbs. so packing out a quartered, skinned, and "meat-sacked" deer with this rig works, although now at 64, I make 2 trips. (never de-boned them, but it is something I might try now) I have also carried them out by making a pack out of them by toggling the front foreleg through the back knees, but it is pure torture if you don't have thick pads for your shoulders. And as mentioned, it is wise to place a bright vest over the deer even if you have skinned it out. A word of caution....it is also advisable to wear stout "above ankle" boots for the extra support to lessen the risk of twisting or spraining an ankle while carrying very heavy loads. Using a stout walking stick is also a good idea to help with your balance, especially through logging slashes and rock fields etc.

I feel your pain as up until this past season, I used a Trapper Nelson as well. I actually used it to pack my elk out this year. This was the 3rd year in a row packing an elk out with the Trapper Nelson and I finally had enough of it. Bought an Eberlestock right after that and never looked back. Definitely well worth it.

hunter1947
12-20-2009, 07:21 AM
If I put any meat back pack on my back with 80 pounds of meat in it my lower back hurts like hell after I walk for about 10 min ,all the years packing out game animals has caught up to me and did a number on my back ,but I still pack meat out on a meat pack but I am suffering every inch of the way http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif.

Devilbear
12-20-2009, 09:22 AM
What pack are you using, what boots, do you use trekking poles? ALL of these will make a HUGE difference in your "comfort level" when packing heavy loads in rough terrain.

I am 63, have had both legs broken, the right was just mangled and has major orthopaedic issues, the docs told me to forget about mountain sports and I still pack serious loads....slowly, no question, but, I do it. I have packed literally tons on TN3s and have not used one since the early '70s as there are FAR better alternatives available.

If, you happen to be in Vancouver, give me a shout and come to my house and I will show you some stuff that will help you and lessen the discomfort...we "old baztards" gotta stick together! :)

Gauge
12-20-2009, 10:54 AM
question i would be asking is will it fit in the trunk of you car???

pnbrock
12-20-2009, 11:13 AM
Sometimes you have to go the extra mile to be successful, even if it weighs 800lbs !!!

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Tipsbrock/2009moose.jpg

.300WSMImpact!
12-20-2009, 11:35 AM
well if it will not fit in the car it will fit on the car, was hoping to have a picture of a moose on the car but my brother came to help,