PDA

View Full Version : sitting duck

Fixit
12-18-2009, 06:54 PM
is it legal to shoot a sitting/floating duck? or does he have to be flying?

i didnt notice anything in the reg books about it

Ddog
12-18-2009, 07:00 PM
you can shoot it if you want, not very sporting but totally legal.

Farmer John
12-18-2009, 07:01 PM
Legal. But some frown upon it. Called Sleucing.

kyleklassen
12-18-2009, 07:29 PM
same as shooting a grouse or turkey sitting

heyblast
12-18-2009, 10:51 PM
When I took my hunter saftey in Ontario in 1972 we were taught that shooting waterfowl while sitting was in contravention of the migratory bird act. My friend who took his training in the mid 90's was also taught the same thing. This fall I read over the act which has been revised since my training and couldn't find any thing saying it was illegal, so I'm not certain. That said I will not shoot ducks when they are not flying, in my opinion it is not sporting or ethical.

12-19-2009, 02:26 AM
nothing is funnier than yelling at a duck after it has landed in your spread, and it refuses to take off.

kastles
12-19-2009, 07:17 AM
It is totally legal. Not considered "sportsman-like", but legal. And as for:

Have you ever tried to shoot a grouse out of the air with a .22? I haven't cause I always get my bird on the ground but I expect it would be hard and kinda dangerous. :)

kyleklassen
12-19-2009, 10:16 AM
It is totally legal. Not considered "sportsman-like", but legal. And as for:

Have you ever tried to shoot a grouse out of the air with a .22? I haven't cause I always get my bird on the ground but I expect it would be hard and kinda dangerous. :) sorry for not adding with a shotgun to end of my post thought most would understand... while i'm at it i'll add that it would be best tofirst determine the sex of your turkey first on the ground,(during bearded only seasons) before flushing and shooting on the wing with a shotgun.(best not try this one with rifle either.) sorry for the confusion.

303Brit
12-19-2009, 11:46 AM
nothing is funnier than yelling at a duck after it has landed in your spread, and it refuses to take off.

It's funny as hell, "Hey you get F outta here" then they jump up and whamm.

Ddog
12-19-2009, 01:27 PM

what? that makes no sense, when turkey hunting you take the turkey when he comes to your calls, you do not wait and then scare him off to try and shoot it out of the air. as for grouse, i do not no one single person that waits until they fly away to try and shoot them even if they are carrying a shotgun, so therefore it is not the same in either circumstance.

Crazy_Farmer
12-19-2009, 01:33 PM
When I took my hunter saftey in Ontario in 1972 we were taught that shooting waterfowl while sitting was in contravention of the migratory bird act. My friend who took his training in the mid 90's was also taught the same thing. This fall I read over the act which has been revised since my training and couldn't find any thing saying it was illegal, so I'm not certain. That said I will not shoot ducks when they are not flying, in my opinion it is not sporting or ethical.

In the migratory act it used to state, and it still does in some state regs that you cannot shoot a bird "at rest" So its sortof up to the COs discretion. Is a duck swimming around considered "at rest" yes and no, so its a very grey law.

Like most migratory bird act laws they all stem from the days of market gunners. And the whole not shooting ducks "at rest" was to stop guys from sculling into a whole flock of ducks and shooting them with punt guns all at once.

Shooting em on water, its not unsportsmanlike, its perfered!!:mrgreen:

sparkes3
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
bang flop splash splash splash

Franko Manini
12-19-2009, 02:43 PM
what? that makes no sense, when turkey hunting you take the turkey when he comes to your calls, you do not wait and then scare him off to try and shoot it out of the air. as for grouse, i do not no one single person that waits until they fly away to try and shoot them even if they are carrying a shotgun, so therefore it is not the same in either circumstance.

Because neither grouse nor turkey are MIGRATORY birds.

PGK
12-19-2009, 03:26 PM

Then you must not know very many people. I try to shoot all my grouse in the air, and know plenty of other people who do. I've heard hardcore duck hunters slam a guy for shooting a sitting duck, but the very next day the same hardcore duck hunter sluices a grouse on the road and I'm like WTH man!? Talk about friggin hypocritical.

shotgunjohn
12-19-2009, 07:29 PM
It"s not hypocritical. Grouse are camp food ducks are "classy".:-D

PGK
12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Ducks are flying turds, grouse are classy. Besides, anyone can hit a duck with 1oz of 12ga steel. Try hitting a grouse with half an ounce of 410 lead.

Ddog
12-19-2009, 07:47 PM
Then you must not know very many people. I try to shoot all my grouse in the air, and know plenty of other people who do. I've heard hardcore duck hunters slam a guy for shooting a sitting duck, but the very next day the same hardcore duck hunter sluices a grouse on the road and I'm like WTH man!? Talk about friggin hypocritical.

your as full as shit as they come,,,,,never ever seen one person do it, i have taken a couple in the air when i used to carry a shotgun, but 99% of people that hunt them take them on the ground when they are walking or sitting. Dont try and make yourself sound like a hero for scaring a grouse and trying to shoot it in the air.

jessonml
12-19-2009, 07:58 PM
your as full as shit as they come,,,,,never ever seen one person do it, i have taken a couple in the air when i used to carry a shotgun, but 99% of people that hunt them take them on the ground when they are walking or sitting. Dont try and make yourself sound like a hero for scaring a grouse and trying to shoot it in the air.

Ya he's a real hero... I've done it. My friends do it. I guess Im trying to make my friends and I look like heros too. :-?

The Hermit
12-19-2009, 08:02 PM
What a thread! Guys nit picking about how to kill a grouse! LOL So for the record then, and just to stir the pot... Its way more fun shooting grouse with a bow! Some times they fly away with your $15 custom tuned arrow too!! LOL

PGK
12-19-2009, 08:07 PM

Open invitation to you then. Bring your shotgun, come for a walk with me, Sept 1st :) You can see just how full of bs I am firsthand.

Hermit, you gotta pin em to a tree :lol: Just not too high!

heyblast
12-19-2009, 08:09 PM
Take your grouse to upland game forum. We're talking about ducks here and ya I'll nail a grouse on the ground if he's that stupid.

huntwriter
12-19-2009, 08:27 PM
is it legal to shoot a sitting/floating duck? or does he have to be flying?

i didnt notice anything in the reg books about it

As has been pointed out its legal but some frown upon as unsportsmanlike. Never bothered me what others think. I am a hunter not a sportsman.:) In the air or on the water if ducks and geese come into shooting range the gun goes off.

Marc
12-19-2009, 08:28 PM
I think what he was saying is it's no different shooting a duck on land or on water then it is to shoot a grouse or turkey standing still.

I find it ironic that it's frowned upon / unethical to shoot at a deer or bear on the run. It's also frowned upon / unethical to shoot a bird sitting in the water.

huntwriter
12-19-2009, 08:49 PM
I think what he was saying is it's no different shooting a duck on land or on water then it is to shoot a grouse or turkey standing still.

I find it ironic that it's frowned upon / unethical to shoot at a deer or bear on the run. It's also frowned upon / unethical to shoot a bird sitting in the water.

Shooting at running game could be justified as unethical because proper shot placement can become very difficult resulting in a wounded animal. We know that happens rather frequently on deer drives.

The same is with flying ducks. I have seen more flying ducks been crippled than sitting ducks. If fact I have never personally seen a hunter cripple a sitting duck.

I often wondered why some waterfowl hunters find shooting a sitting duck is unethical. Is it because it is to easy? Defenseless bird? Or what?

Farmer John
12-19-2009, 09:28 PM
I don't do it for a couple reasons.

1. I don't want holes in my decoys.
2. Seems unsporting to me. If they've made it through my shooting zone, they've earned their pass.
3. Kind nice to watch ducks swimming around in the deeks. Get to watch how they act/ react to the decoys.
4. Leaving them in the spread really helps bring in more ducks.
5. Don't like shooting low incase the dog happens to run in front of the barrel.

But if others do it, I have no problems...Just not in my spread.

Qwa-honn
12-19-2009, 10:00 PM
Sitting or flying it's a dead duck. Muahhhh haaaa haaa haaa

dutchie
12-19-2009, 10:42 PM

This year I started to only shoot grouse on the wing. I shot them on the ground before.

Who cares how it was shot... get out there and enjoy the hunt! If you use a .22, 300wm, .410 or 10ga, If you had fun and an enjoyable time, DO IT AGAIN because that is what it is about! I will support how every single person hunts upland game, or waterfowl (providing it is legal by defenition).

Dutchie

Deer Sausage
12-19-2009, 11:51 PM
My brother would herniate himself laughing at me if i took a duck on the water....he seems to forget that this little custom was invented to keep jokers like him from shooting up the decoys!

No harm in taking a duck on the water but we usually scare em up...think about it you're really there for the fine shooting ducks provide...if it just swims in and you stroke it while its floating in front of the blind youre sort of taking the fun part out of it?

also for the record i grease my grouse on the ground with the .22.... usually on the 2nd or third shot!!!!!!

Fixit
12-19-2009, 11:57 PM
yup, ive taken a few grouse with the 300WM, headshots only!

good to know that sitting ducks are fine to shoot.

Franko Manini
12-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Open invitation to you then. Bring your shotgun, come for a walk with me, Sept 1st :) You can see just how full of bs I am firsthand.

Hermit, you gotta pin em to a tree :lol: Just not too high!

Now that's TOO FUNNY!

Of couse, I've seen a guy try to shoot a grouse with his 30.06 too. Missed 'em.

6.5x55
12-20-2009, 12:16 AM
sitting ducks are fine to shoot as long as you call yourself a harvester ; a hunter, you are not.

shotgunjohn
12-20-2009, 12:26 AM
They are actually a lot harder to kill sitting on the water than in the air. I had one this year that was crippled that took four shots on the water to finally anchor. If I had to take that many in the air to kill one I would be totally disgusted with myself.

dutchie
12-20-2009, 12:32 AM
sitting ducks are fine to shoot as long as you call yourself a harvester ; a hunter, you are not.

try telling that to an extatic young first time waterfowler that has just shot thier first duck and is, pumped because he went hunting with mom or dad or thier brother!

say this in your head "Son/Daughter/Brother/Sister, you are not a hunter yet, you are merely a harvester. you have to shoot one in the air to be a hunter."

Last time I checked the regs were "HUNTING" regs... not "harvesting" regs

dutchie
12-20-2009, 12:34 AM

As per forum Rules, Joke please!:twisted:

Dutchie

huntwriter
12-20-2009, 12:41 AM

That of course is only an opinion, not fact.:wink:

Dutchie below summed it up perfectly what hunting is all about. FUN!!! Any which way as long as it is legal.

Who cares how it was shot... get out there and enjoy the hunt! If you use a .22, 300wm, .410 or 10ga, If you had fun and an enjoyable time, DO IT AGAIN because that is what it is about! I will support how every single person hunts upland game, or waterfowl (providing it is legal by defenition).

Dutchie

heyblast
12-20-2009, 03:25 AM
Huntwriter, if you were a waterfowl hunter you would know a duck sitting on the water is harder to kill than a flying bird.As for more cripples on flying birds that just poor shooting.

huntwriter
12-20-2009, 09:29 AM
Huntwriter, if you were a waterfowl hunter you would know a duck sitting on the water is harder to kill than a flying bird.As for more cripples on flying birds that just poor shooting.

What makes you think I am not a waterfowl hunter? I just don't call myself a waterfowl hunter because I am a hunter period. No pigeonholing.:wink: I did not question if it is easier to kill a duck on water or in the air. What I said is that it is legal and in my opinion not unethical.

Poor shooting or not is not the question. What I said is that according to what I experienced there are as many cripples shooting ducks form the air or water.

dutchie
12-20-2009, 11:58 PM

Huntwriter teaches people how to hunt...

crazy ducker
12-21-2009, 08:24 AM
it's like saying then only shoot deer on a run none of this standing stuff how hard is it really to shoot a standing deer. what ever you what to do is fine

kyleklassen
10-11-2013, 09:45 PM
what? that makes no sense, when turkey hunting you take the turkey when he comes to your calls, you do not wait and then scare him off to try and shoot it out of the air. as for grouse, i do not no one single person that waits until they fly away to try and shoot them even if they are carrying a shotgun, so therefore it is not the same in either circumstance.when you are duck hunting you take the duck after it has come to your calls...WTF who the **** are you people

BuckEye
10-11-2013, 10:03 PM
Maybe way ****ing different people than they were in 2009. Maybe not though. Just sayin.

Big Lew
10-12-2013, 07:19 AM
I've shot ducks, geese, snipe, pheasant, pigeons, and grouse both while they were sitting, standing, and flying. I couldn't care less what others think. I do prefer to shoot ducks, chukars, quail, snipe, pigeons, and geese, on the wing. As for grouse, although it is a big challenge and a lot of fun shooting them when they blast off and fly, it's not much fun biting down on the small pellets so I prefer to head shoot them with a 22. or arrow. I will draw the line at shooting morning doves sleeping in trees. When we were youths, we were discouraged from shooting grouse at dusk if they went to roost for the night, and pheasants if there was accumulated snow on the ground. If it's legal, to each their own conscience.

Kudu
10-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Funny thread this - reminds of one on refuge forums a little while ago - reams and reams of yanks who simply can't shoot a bird on the wing - they wait till they sit then hose them....

Weatherby Fan
10-12-2013, 09:24 PM
I'm such a poor shot with a shotgun I always waited for the ducks and geese to land b4 shooting otherwise I would have starved to death.......

Kudu
10-12-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm such a poor shot with a shotgun I always waited for the ducks and geese to land b4 shooting otherwise I would have starved to death.......

He'll - it must be tough been in that situation, hope things have improved for you - ever try fishing?

Weatherby Fan
10-12-2013, 09:37 PM
He'll - it must be tough been in that situation, hope things have improved for you - ever try fishing?

LMAO yeh I do a little better with hooks, I quit duck hunting as I don't like hunting in the rain !

Kudu
10-12-2013, 09:46 PM
LMAO yeh I do a little better with hooks, I quit duck hunting as I don't like hunting in the rain !

There's the thing - the best duck shooting is in the rain especially on the rivers ......bit shitty in the layout blind!

barklee
10-14-2013, 01:08 PM
"I don't shot them when they are swimming I wait till they stop."
LOL

Foxton Gundogs
10-15-2013, 07:36 AM
If I wasn't going to wing shoot birds, I wouldn't shoot birds. But to each their own I suppose.

lorneparker1
10-15-2013, 11:55 AM
WHo on earth would shoot a sitting duck!

aggiehunter
10-15-2013, 12:23 PM
funny how there was only one guy (shotgunJohn I think) that came close to one of the best reasons for not shooting ducks on the water...first they are in no way the same as a thin skinned dry feathered bird like a grouse sitting on the road that you can use lead shot on...so just forget that notion....when they are at rest on the water a good portion of the bird is under water...the closed wings act like an armoured shield and they can be hard to kill..when they are in flight it opens up the vitals and wing breakage is a good possibility....no need to insult anyone over it however....and YES wingshooting blue grouse over a high sage covered ridge is the finest shooting ever.

Fella
10-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Takes more skill to shoot ducks on the wing. Which is why I never shoot any :mrgreen:

hare_assassin
10-15-2013, 12:29 PM
I've heard hardcore duck hunters slam a guy for shooting a sitting duck, but the very next day the same hardcore duck hunter sluices a grouse on the road and I'm like WTH man!? Talk about friggin hypocritical.

Precisely. That's why I sluice 'em all.

longshot
10-15-2013, 04:05 PM
WHo on earth would shoot a sitting duck!

Hah.. love it ;)

lorneparker1
10-16-2013, 12:22 PM
funny how there was only one guy (shotgunJohn I think) that came close to one of the best reasons for not shooting ducks on the water...first they are in no way the same as a thin skinned dry feathered bird like a grouse sitting on the road that you can use lead shot on...so just forget that notion....when they are at rest on the water a good portion of the bird is under water...the closed wings act like an armoured shield and they can be hard to kill..when they are in flight it opens up the vitals and wing breakage is a good possibility....no need to insult anyone over it however....and YES wingshooting blue grouse over a high sage covered ridge is the finest shooting ever.

Yes a good portion of their body is under the water. But there HEAD is above the water. I feel 100 bb's to the head and neck area is a fairly high percentage shot. I have never dry gulchted a bird I considered hard to kill.

Sasquatch
10-16-2013, 12:51 PM

I like to shoot my birds in the air - and the bird population is not in jeopardy from me in any way because of that preference.

I've heard sitting ducks are harder to kill, but I have shot a crippled duck that was on the water and it died pretty easy.

Moe.JKU
10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
If they are in the dekes i wouldn't shoot, i don't have enough money to buy decoys all the time. Most of the time ill pass on them anyways, nice to have a couple extra decoys, and when they fly away you get a crack at them anyways.

bigbuckbuster
10-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Yes a good portion of their body is under the water. But there HEAD is above the water. I feel 100 bb's to the head and neck area is a fairly high percentage shot. I have never dry gulchted a bird I considered hard to kill.

This is true, the head is above the water but I find that a head shot on a sitting duck usually takes the head clean off. For some reason the dog won't retrieve headless ducks and I have to get I the water. I don't like getting into the water so I have grown out of shooting a sitting duck.

lorneparker1
10-16-2013, 02:22 PM
This is true, the head is above the water but I find that a head shot on a sitting duck usually takes the head clean off. For some reason the dog won't retrieve headless ducks and I have to get I the water. I don't like getting into the water so I have grown out of shooting a sitting duck.

Fair, but someone made a comment along the lines of the bird is more protected and therefore harder to kill sitting. Which doesn't make sense. I am proud to say I hae shot 24 ducks this season all which have been flying. I am prepared to put an end to that streak tonight

Moe.JKU
10-16-2013, 02:31 PM
I have heard they are more protected with the way their feathers are as it can make the shot bounce off more, as well as being under water.
However i don't think that would come into play with a head shot. hey it might even save those breast from all the shot inside the meat.:-D

Rackem
10-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Before I shoot anything I go through a process. Is it safe to shoot?, is this the best way to shoot in order to ensure a clean kill and preserve as much meat as possible? Will I be able to recover the animal from this location? Is this shot within my skill level/vision?

I don't generally shoot birds on the wing when upland game hunting. I will if I feel all the above are answered adequately. I had a lab who would retrieve injured live ducks, so I didn't shoot them as the dog was in the water along with the decoys.

However if I wanted a duck dinner and saw a plump one sitting there I would take it.

I find it funny the ego associated with "taking it on the wing" to me, it made me feel a bit squeamish when you have ten guys blasting away at a flock coming in to land...didn't seem particularly "sporting" lol...dead and wounded ducks everywhere, dogs retrieving like crazy, limiting out very quickly...

Both a head shot on a sitting duck or shot on the wing takes skill.

Sleep Robber
10-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Both a head shot on a sitting duck or shot on the wing takes skill.

There are "levels" of skill.

On the wing takes way more skill than sluicing one, a trained ape could shoot a sitting duck. :roll:

We have one fun rule while goose hunting,

You get caught ground sluicing birds in our blind, you become dog #2 for the next flight.:mrgreen:

field marshal
10-16-2013, 07:48 PM
There are "levels" of skill.

On the wing takes way more skill than sluicing one, a trained ape could shoot a sitting duck. :roll:

We have one fun rule while goose hunting,

You get caught ground sluicing birds in our blind, you become dog #2 for the next flight.:mrgreen: Sleeprobber you better not invite LP1 goose hunting!! You couldn't afford to feed that DOG??:mrgreen:---Cheers---Field Marshal.

lorneparker1
10-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Touche!

Lorne

Sleep Robber
10-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Either way, it sounds like you both would be a welcome to anyone's blind, after all, 2 dogs are always better than 1!!!:mrgreen:

cheers boys !!

bigbuckbuster
10-16-2013, 09:44 PM
im gonna get some flack for this but....men over 30 shouldn't sluice ducks and men over 40 shouldn't sluice upland birds with a shotgun. I know what i'm getting myself into, so let me have it.

Foxton Gundogs
10-17-2013, 07:13 AM
im gonna get some flack for this but....men over 30 shouldn't sluice ducks and men over 40 shouldn't sluice upland birds with a shotgun. I know what i'm getting myself into, so let me have it.

You asked for it so here goes. whats with the age thing, I started shooting waterfowl at 8 and if Gramps Dad or anyone would have aught me ground slucing it would have been back to the BB gun for me. His words are still revelant, "If you going to use a shotgun boy learn to use it proper". Head shots on grouse with a 22 for camp meat is fine but a shotgun is a wing shooters tool plain and simple age has nothing to do with it.

Sasquatch
10-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Head shots on grouse with a 22 for camp meat is fine but a shotgun is a wing shooters tool plain and simple

Sorry Foxton, I don't really understand this. In my mind, sluicing a bird is the same whether it's a grouse or a duck - it's simply a matter of choice for the hunter.
The idea of "sport" is subjective - we each choose our own levels and make up our own minds of what is sporting. I personally believe that wing shooting birds is sporting, next guy thinks taking them any way he can is sport.

As long as it's legal - I don't figure I have the right to judge and I somehow doubt the birds would care which way they are shot.

Foxton Gundogs
10-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Sorry Foxton, I don't really understand this. In my mind, sluicing a bird is the same whether it's a grouse or a duck - it's simply a matter of choice for the hunter.
The idea of "sport" is subjective - we each choose our own levels and make up our own minds of what is sporting. I personally believe that wing shooting birds is sporting, next guy thinks taking them any way he can is sport.

As long as it's legal - I don't figure I have the right to judge and I somehow doubt the birds would care which way they are shot.

Then we agree to disagree, to each his own I suppose, I don't say that ground slucing is illegal just no room for it in my blind or behind my dogs.

Rackem
10-17-2013, 12:01 PM
it's simply a matter of choice for the hunter.

It's pure ego. Made up rules by people who like rules. I never use the word sport or sporting in reference to my hunting activities. It seems to me to be a frivolous way to view killing an animal, associating it with sport. Shooting is a sport. Football is a sport. Killing something is not a sport.

If you prefer to play that game, where you have rigid rules on what is acceptable, good for you. I don't play that game. For me, it always comes down to what is the best use of my skills, in order to ensure a safe, quick kill that can be retrieved and meat preserved. If that means I want a duck for dinner, and I am confident taking a head shot on a sitting duck would be the best way to achieve than within the parameters mentioned, I will do it.

If this is not acceptable practice to some hunters, I guess that they will never hunt with me.

Big Lew
10-17-2013, 12:33 PM
It's pure ego. Made up rules by people who like rules. I never use the word sport or sporting in reference to my hunting activities. It seems to me to be a frivolous way to view killing an animal, associating it with sport. Shooting is a sport. Football is a sport. Killing something is not a sport.

If you prefer to play that game, where you have rigid rules on what is acceptable, good for you. I don't play that game. For me, it always comes down to what is the best use of my skills, in order to ensure a safe, quick kill that can be retrieved and meat preserved. If that means I want a duck for dinner, and I am confident taking a head shot on a sitting duck would be the best way to achieve than within the parameters mentioned, I will do it.

If this is not acceptable practice to some hunters, I guess that they will never hunt with me.

Damn! "Rackem", another good post in my opinion. You impress me with your 'what you see is what you get', your 'call it as you see it', and 'if you don't like it, that's your problem' attitude.:cool::biggrin:

Kudu
10-17-2013, 02:26 PM
I don't say that ground slucing is illegal just no room for it in my blind or behind my dogs.

I agree with you..

Sluicing sitting ducks is as appealing to the true sportsman as masturbation is to sex.....

Rackem
10-17-2013, 02:39 PM
I agree with you.. Sluicing sitting ducks is as appealing to the true sportsman as masturbation is to sex.....

Haha! "true sportsman" love it. Elite. I bet despite your disdain for masturbation, you have had opportunity to partake in times of need. Each plays a role in life, both are legal.

I mean you can't eat lobster every night, I bet sometime you break down and buy a box of mac and cheese or ramen noodles or a fast food item...

Snobbery, and elitist attitudes, just lead to mental masturbation anyway.

Sleep Robber
10-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Sluicers are just shitty shots that are scared their gonna go home with no birds.:mrgreen:

Kudu
10-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Haha! "true sportsman" love it. Elite. I bet despite your disdain for masturbation, you have had opportunity to partake in times of need. Each plays a role in life, both are legal.

I mean you can't eat lobster every night, I bet sometime you break down and buy a box of mac and cheese or ramen noodles or a fast food item...

Snobbery, and elitist attitudes, just lead to mental masturbation anyway.

Ha ha ha mac and cheese - indeed.........:mrgreen:

Foxton Gundogs
10-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Ha ha ha mac and cheese - indeed.........:mrgreen:

Personally Id much rather eat KD than a sluced duck but as I said to each their own.

lorneparker1
10-17-2013, 03:55 PM
I love to masterbate

Rackem
10-17-2013, 04:07 PM
I love to masterbate

Who doesn't? Do you sluice ducks too?:-D

lorneparker1
10-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I would be a toss up to which one I like to do more. The only thing that stops me from either is the company I am in!

Rackem
10-17-2013, 04:17 PM
I would be a toss up to which one I like to do more. The only thing that stops me from either is the company I am in!

LOL very wise! :)

Sasquatch
10-17-2013, 04:49 PM

Is it any less egotistical to say you get to determine what is a sport such as football or shooting, but killing something is not a sport? Couldn't that be considered a rule you made up?

I fully understand that for you, killing something is not a sport and it strikes me as a well thought out and very "subjective" call. However, for many of us, it is a sport and we alone get to make the determination of what is sporting and what isn't, in our minds and our lives.

Rackem
10-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Is it any less egotistical to say you get to determine what is a sport such as football or shooting, but killing something is not a sport? Couldn't that be considered a rule you made up?

I fully understand that for you, killing something is not a sport and it strikes me as a well thought out and very "subjective" call. However, for many of us, it is a sport and we alone get to make the determination of what is sporting and what isn't, in our minds and our lives.

I get to determine of course, FOR ME. You are quite free in this country, to make your own determination. I am not your dictator nor can I control your mind.

Sport for me, is not a serious enough term. It (for me) lacks enough respect. It implies a game, killing for fun. I don't find the kill fun. Necessary as I don't want to eat a kicking animal, but not fun.

So yes, I make up my own rules of conduct and you make up yours. That is the purpose of a discussion, to see if you like your rules still or if you have learned a new and interesting idea that may shift your own paradigm.. If you resist and feel uncomfortable at first, generally you could be experiencing cognitive dissonance, the first step in a paradigm shift.

:)

FirePower
10-17-2013, 05:31 PM
First of all I agree that killing is not a sport, perhaps that is why sluicing rafts of floating ducks with a punt gun was outlawed years ago, doing it with a 12 bore is simply killing on a smaller scale. As for wing shooting being an ego trip, really? Pride maybe, because it takes a great amount of practice and skill to drop flying ducks moving at up to 50 mph, faster with the wind in his tail, consistantly and a proficient wing shooter has every right to be proud. Finally to say it is not sporting for 10 shooters to fire into a flock dropping multiple birds. Let me assure you that if the shooters were indeed simply firing into the flock there would be very few birds on the ground. Each shooter first picks then aims and fires on an individual bird and if he downs more than one it is usually because he has picked 2 or 3 individual targets and fired on each one. Good wing shooting is a skill that must be honed and as previously stated a shotgun is a wing shooters tool, not a weapon of mass distruction. Anyone who believes otherwise does not know the sport and may be better served to take time to try it and learn its art

Rackem
10-17-2013, 05:38 PM
You are misunderstanding.

I am not saying shooting the duck on the wing is an ego trip, lol, I am saying looking down on others who decide to take a duck for dinner whilst it is sitting on the water is.

If you can shoot a duck or more on the wing great! Good for you! That is good shooting! But there should be no shame in plinking one for dinner either.

I have been on many many duck and goose hunts, I am not saying that is wrong, I am just saying that wing shooting often leads to a bunch of injured birds, which I am not a big fan of. I also do skeet shoots or whatever you call it when we just shoot clay pigeons from a launcher for prizes.

Sasquatch
10-17-2013, 05:40 PM
If you resist and feel uncomfortable at first, generally you could be experiencing cognitive dissonance, the first step in a paradigm shift.

Yes, but if I resist and don't feel uncomfortable at all.... It just means I have my own ideas and don't agree with you (or your rules)

Rackem
10-17-2013, 05:41 PM
It's when you start telling me that your way is the only right way, that I challenge the thought process.

Ego is the only reason you would look down on someone for taking a duck on the water for dinner.

Rackem
10-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Yes, but if I resist and don't feel uncomfortable at all.... It just means I have my own ideas and don't agree with you (or your rules)

Exactly! Now you get it!

lorneparker1
10-17-2013, 07:56 PM
I don't think Slucing rafts of ducks was outlawed because it wasnt sporting.

f350ps
10-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I don't think Slucing rafts of ducks was outlawed because it wasnt sporting.
Hahahaha.....of course you don't, we'd expect nothing less! K

lorneparker1
10-17-2013, 09:58 PM
Just throwing this out there, but I think sluicing rafted birds with punt guns during the market hunting days, might have had a bit more to do with conservation then sport. I know everytime I sluice a duck, a old timer cries. And because of that, I sleep well

Gateholio
10-17-2013, 10:29 PM
Personally Id much rather eat KD than a sluced duck but as I said to each their own.

Sluiced and wingshot taste the same. Sluiced may actually provide better table fare.

Sleep Robber
10-18-2013, 05:34 AM
Sluicer's ??, SOB's are hard on the decoys, holes everywhere, I mean WTF !!! LOLLOL !!

Rackem
10-18-2013, 06:28 AM
Yeah it's better not to shoot your decoys...but if you don't have any in the water, and no dog in the water, and you just want a duck for dinner....

I have only got a single duck on the water a few times, usually it was the traditional wing shots on flocks coming in. I just haven't had a retriever for a few years, so planning to start getting back into it with this new lab.

I just want to practice some pigeon shoots so I don't wound too many...

Foxton Gundogs
10-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Sluiced and wingshot taste the same. Sluiced may actually provide better table fare.

Funny I always figure sloosed ducks seem to taste more like crow, not so much with a wing shot bird:mrgreen:

Rackem
10-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Funny I always figure sloosed ducks seem to taste more like crow, not so much with a wing shot bird:mrgreen:

LOL I like you!

Big Lew
10-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Yeah it's better not to shoot your decoys...but if you don't have any in the water, and no dog in the water, and you just want a duck for dinner....

I have only got a single duck on the water a few times, usually it was the traditional wing shots on flocks coming in. I just haven't had a retriever for a few years, so planning to start getting back into it with this new lab.

I just want to practice some pigeon shoots so I don't wound too many...

So, I take it that you did decide to adopt her?

Rackem
10-18-2013, 07:52 AM
I have not been able to get ahold of the breeder for the last day...working on it.

303Brit
10-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Just throwing this out there, but I think sluicing rafted birds with punt guns during the market hunting days, might have had a bit more to do with conservation then sport. I know everytime I sluice a duck, a old timer cries. And because of that, I sleep well

Pretty much a fail safe way to get a good night sleep ;)