PDA

View Full Version : Game Cam Theft

Bu5hwacker
12-18-2009, 05:02 PM
I just purchased my first trail camera and was wondering if anyone has had theirs stolen. I'm definitely buying a Python cable lock and maybe a security box for it.

jrjonesy
12-18-2009, 05:11 PM
One thing I would suggest is that when you put your camera on a tree, tuck a few branches and things into the straps to overhang them and make them look less obvious. I also sometime lean a small tree or branches against the tree the camera is in in order to obstruct the side view of it. I believe the 'straight' lines created by the straps and box tend to draw a person's eyes to them as being out of place so a little bit of natural camoflage goes a long way.

Steeleco
12-18-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't own one, but lots of threads on HBC have discussed the theft of these units.

BlacktailStalker
12-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Had 2 stolen. Both locked with python locks :mad:
One was smashed with a rock and the other was chopped with an axe, complete different areas. I know the last one was stolen by a filthy salal picker because I saw a small bundle of salal they dropped.

Sitkaspruce
12-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Never had one stolen, but then I have always had mine set up along way from any road or trail and usually go in a different way everytime I check it. Also, I live in a low populated area, so not nearly the people in the outdoors as in the Comox Valley or Okanogan.

Cheers

SS

Ron.C
12-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Never had one stolen yet "touch wood". I personally am not going to waste any money on a locking cable/lock box for my camera's. The way I see it, If someone wants it, they are going to get it. Or they'll just smash the shit out of it if they can't. Either way, I'm out some $$$

Stone Sheep Steve
12-18-2009, 06:31 PM
One thing I would suggest is that when you put your camera on a tree, tuck a few branches and things into the straps to overhang them and make them look less obvious. I also sometime lean a small tree or branches against the tree the camera is in in order to obstruct the side view of it. I believe the 'straight' lines created by the straps and box tend to draw a person's eyes to them as being out of place so a little bit of natural camoflage goes a long way.

The straps sould definitely be a verticle "treebark" pattern.

Don't know whay they don't do this:?

Stolen...no(only had it a couple of weeks)

Broken....yes(a bear).

SSS

redcomet
12-18-2009, 08:14 PM
I use python locks now all the time, even if it is in a remote area. If I have just the bungee cord the bears almost always pull down the cam and bite it causing broken plastic tabs, and once cracking the main unit, thankfully still operable.

Since using the python lock I have had bears check out the cam but not pull it off the tree.

Black bear checking out the cam
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/bbear_blur.jpghttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/../photos/data/500/bbear_away.jpg black bear walking away, cam left untouched!

gbear
12-18-2009, 10:13 PM
I have had 2 stolen over the years. One wasn't locked up at all. The one this year was in a security box lagbolted to a tree, with a pad lock and cable, plus a python lock. Everything was gone, including the lag bolts.

Jagermeister
12-18-2009, 10:35 PM
2436This is how you have to camoflage your camera. Of course, the cable is not the one that is used in the field. Click on the pic for a larger view.

MikeH
12-19-2009, 01:16 AM

Why things are seen!:)
that sucks that people steal cams hopefully they can come up with a better system.

log_roller
12-19-2009, 03:26 AM
I just purchased my first trail camera and was wondering if anyone has had theirs stolen. I'm definitely buying a Python cable lock and maybe a security box for it.

I got one ripped off this year guess its a gamble one of my hunting partners had one of his smashed to pieces last year other than that Id like to think most people are honest its the few that give us all a bad mark I lost my wallet in october while hunting , someone found it and returned it right to my door and put it under my door mat when I wasnt home I dont know who it is but Id have gave them a box of beer who ever it was saved me alot of bs replacing everything

kyleklassen
12-19-2009, 10:24 AM
totally suxs that people would steal these trail cameras. but the first thing i think of when i leave something valuable out is that someone is going to steal it. is anyone surprised that this happens. again i'll say it sux's but you wouldn't leave your kicker at the boat ramp and expect it to be there next time you went fishing. sorry for the rant.. if people these days had any integrity you would be able to ahave a camera on every tree out there all year long and nobody would touch them.

OutWest
12-19-2009, 09:19 PM
Haven't had one stolen yet but we always places ours in very remote areas that we hike into and only check them a few times a year.

Although while WT hunting this year on my friends private land we had one set up for a few weeks. Some guy came along and shot one of the beauties we had seen on the camera. He took the camera down and returned it to the landowner thinking we had forgotten it there. He somehow managed to delete ALL of the pictures we had on the memory card.

ChilliwackWinchester
12-20-2009, 03:49 PM
Had 2 stolen. Both locked with python locks :mad:
One was smashed with a rock and the other was chopped with an axe, complete different areas. I know the last one was stolen by a filthy salal picker because I saw a small bundle of salal they dropped.

Salal? Not familiar.

Bu5hwacker
12-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Hey Jagermeister, what did you use to get that tree bark effect?

I noticed the posts about stolen cams but wanted to see if they were locked up or not. I still think I'm going to get a cable and box. If it deters one person from thinking about stealing it, it's worth it. I plan on keeping it off the beaten path as well.

Thanks to everyone for replying.