PDA

View Full Version : History and the Bow.......

Kudu
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM
The History of the Middle Finger Salute.....

Well, now......here's something I never knew before, and now that I know it, I feel compelled to send it on to my more intelligent friends in the hope that they, too, will feel edified.

Isn't history more fun when you know something about it?

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore they would be incapable of fighting in the future.

This famous English longbow was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, See, we can still pluck yew!

Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodentals fricative F', and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute!

It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird."

IT IS STILL AN APPROPRIATE SALUTE TO THE FRENCH TODAY!

And yew thought yew knew every plucking thing.

ElkMasterC
12-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Welll..... :rolleyes:

The story has some basis in fact, but seeing as the Brits have the two-fingered salute (like a peace sign, only knuckles out, and thrust up with feeling) that's where they say that came from. They used to cut both the index and middle fingers off, so sayeth the legend, so the archers would toss both fingers up, scream, "Up yer KILT, Froggie" or words to that effect, and the game was on.
That's my understanding, anyway.

Jagermeister
12-18-2009, 11:48 AM
The edification of HBC has begun. There will be a new period of enlightenment.
Notwithstanding, it is a good read Kudo, a little ribald humour included.
Brought to mind the phrase, pluck ewe, the act of shearing a female domestic sheep.:biggrin:

ElkMasterC
12-18-2009, 11:54 AM
The edification of HBC has begun. There will be a new period of enlightenment.

'Bout damn time.... :D :D :D.

Barracuda
12-18-2009, 12:47 PM
two fingers is more like piss off or piss on you or up yours rather then **** you

M@B
12-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Learn something new everyday!

Lee
12-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Some light reading for you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/****

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/****

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_(gesture)

*yes, you can guess what the 4 stars spell out, have to change them up in the addy bar.

peterrum3
12-19-2009, 08:50 PM
I love history that has a happy ending

ROEBUCK
12-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Welll..... :rolleyes:

The story has some basis in fact, but seeing as the Brits have the two-fingered salute (like a peace sign, only knuckles out, and thrust up with feeling) that's where they say that came from. They used to cut both the index and middle fingers off, so sayeth the legend, so the archers would toss both fingers up, scream, "Up yer KILT, Froggie" or words to that effect, and the game was on.
That's my understanding, anyway.

correct no legand!!

its still used today in england,hell! i use it my self while driving if somebody cuts me up !!
english longbowmen used to show there fingers to the french during battle to intimidate them!
it means f##k you today!!
the british longbow is in the top five english weopans of all time!!
including the spitfire,longbow,.303 rfle!!
it had a much further range than the french bows at the time!

TIKKA TIGER
12-19-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey Kudu... This is very similar to my reply to a Thread on Archery Talk dated back to January 29th, 2005, at 03:48 PM
It was titled...

Flippin' The Bird
Here's The Story...

Subject: Truth About the Finger

In the film Titanic the character Rose is shown giving the finger to Jack, another character. Many people who have seen the film question whether "giving the finger" was done around the time of the Titanic disaster, or was it a more recent gesture invented by some defiant seventh-grader. According to research, here's the true story:

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore [soldiers would] be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew." Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew!"

Over the years some "folk etymologies" have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since "pluck yew" is rather difficult to say, like "pheasant mother plucker," which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows for the longbow, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative "f," and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the gesture is known as "giving the bird."

And yew all thought yew knew everything! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :smile:

Chuck
12-19-2009, 09:36 PM
I've read somewhere that the Turks used laminated bone bows way back, that they shot from a sort of sitting position and using their feet against the bow. Apparently they had a range of almost a mile. Accuracy wasn't mentioned, but i would imagine they used them for a type of barrage effect. Anybody know if this is so?