PDA

View Full Version : Banded ducks

rishu_pepper
12-18-2009, 11:17 AM
A friend got two banded ducks two days in a row, both drake mallards.

Here's the kicker though: the second one was DOUBLE-banded. The usual silver band and a "Reward $100" green band, one on each leg. He's never seen one in 30+ years of waterfowling. :-D

Anybody seen this before? (he's gonna buy a lottery ticket before his luck runs out :wink:)

Chessieguy
12-18-2009, 11:27 AM
First of all congrats to them...Early Christmas present!!!:-D

I know of several guys on the East Coast(because I havent moved out to BC yet) that have got them. It is something that is being done to encourage hunters to submit the band information to the USFWS. In the initial years there were band of values from $5 all the way up to $1000 put onto birds as a way to determine what $ amount would encourage most hunters to report the band.
Once again congrats and it would be very interesting to see the info on where and when it was banded, when it was harvested.

THE SWEDE
12-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Rishu was that you shooting with him yesterday??

Gunner
12-18-2009, 12:10 PM
I've shot 2 Mallards with the green $100 band.(by the way,that's $100US!)A friend shot one last season with a green $50 band.All 3 were banded at Quilchena,7 miles NE of Merritt.Other banded birds I've taken were banded in Alberta,and one pintail drake was banded in Alaska.I've never shot a banded goose,except for brant. Gunner

kyleklassen
12-18-2009, 02:18 PM
i got a 100$ american one on a mallard in alberta.

rbduck
12-18-2009, 11:08 PM
One of my hunting partners shot two Canadas with $100.00(U.S.) leg bands . These Canadas were shot two years in a row in different parts of the province. Don`t know what the odds are of a man shooting two geese, two years apart, with those leg bands but after the second year, he bought the beer and pizza.

Ron:mrgreen:

porcupine
12-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I shot a mallard on the Isalnd that had the green band and I happily cashed my cheque for $100 US. At that time it was a $125 Cdn bird!
________
hotels in mexico city (http://mexicocityhotel.info)

timberhunter
12-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Dam I was happy to get my first band last weekend. After many years and hundreds of ducks. Now I've got to shoot one with a green band. When does it end.