PDA

View Full Version : BISON Shared Hunt ??

12-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi every one,
I just wondered what your views are on this topic. Being that Bison are on the LEH system, and that a permit holder needs 1 or 2 buddies along for help once one of these critters is down because of the size and conditions the hunt takes place in what do you think about the Province moving to a shared hunt like the Moose have in several areas.
A couple things to consider, I for example have applied every year since the hunt began around 1994 and finally drew an LEH this year for the first time. I was successful in harvesting my Buffalo but wonder if I will ever have the Chance again. The reason the moose hunt has gone shared is because many hunters complained about never being drawn. So, with a shared hunt, say 2 for 4 hunters, it gives the entire group a chance to harvest, but keeps the numbers where the game managers want them. This seems to please more people but as said keeps the game numbers in check. I personally think this would be a great way to go for the Bison hunt as the conditions and work the animal takes to get out of the bush can be taxing, and I do not know of any one doing it alone.
So what say you?

CT

No Tag Soup Please
12-18-2009, 11:05 AM
I really like this idea. Even do a 1 for 3 draw would probably make people happy also. And really, a bison is a huge animal. Split that puppy up 3 ways and everyone is still going to have lots of meat for the winter.

12-18-2009, 11:11 AM
I agree, 1 for 3 would be fine with me too.
Also, I think if you have been drawn before, others that have not should have a chance before you repeat. I know of guys that have 3 and 4 draws over the years, personally I think it's not right.

CT

Bighorn hunter
12-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I remember when the draws started for bison that you were able to apply as a group, not sure why the changed it. I realize you are not saying to put it back to group but to shared. With the shared hunt it would be great to give those who are wanting the meat only(not a trophy bull) a chance for a group of buddies to go together and all have a chance at downing a animal. Even though they are a huge animal, pound for pound there is alot more meat on a beef cow. I would support the shared and would say 2 tags for 3 or four hunters.

My two cents
BH

hunter1947
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Yes I would like to see it implemented that there be a shared hunt for bison in the years to come.

My opinion is that I think the population is multiplying at a faster rate then hunters can shoot them.

tomahawk
12-18-2009, 01:45 PM
Shared would be good. I have had 2 bison draws and my buddy has had 2 since 1998 but would still like to see it go to a shared hunt.
Actually a shared hunt for all LEH draws with reduced odds for 3 yrs there after would suit me just fine!

BearStump
12-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Excellent Idea. I agree that it makes perfect sense.

ratherbefishin
12-18-2009, 01:55 PM
I'd say yes,but would like to see evidence the shared hunt has resulted in increased odds,which it theoretically is supposed to do-I have't drawn a moose tag in 5 years, shared or otherwise

shotgunjohn
12-18-2009, 03:02 PM
I would say yes if the tags were for a shorter period to spread out the pressure. Having 70 groups hunting that area all at once could become a zoo. But 15 a week would work.

12-18-2009, 03:08 PM
I also agree to spread it differently.
The Managers have designated numbers to cull so to speak so why does it matter when they get harvested.

I was just up there for the Dec 1st to 15th hunt but arrived on the 5th and left on the 10th with our 2 that we had draws for. I must admit it was a little busy, at first, but not the 150 hunters J. Shockey said in his blog. And we saw ZERO signs of poaching he originally posted.

This should be presented the the BCWF for recommendation going to a shared hunt.

Just how does some one go about a recommendation as above to the ones that make the rules??

CT

12-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm rather surprised more don't show an interest on this or voice their opinion either way.
It's not like were talking Mountain Sheep here, or Rosie Elk.
Hunting Bison, big or small requires buddies to help you get it out.
I think the Shared moose hunt is a great thing and has pleased more hunters overall, and that said I think it would be the perfect thing for the LEH for Buffalo.
Or at least, a portion of the tags be alloted to shared groups. 2 for a group of 4 would be great.
CT

Fraink
12-21-2009, 12:12 AM
I like the shared hunt idea as well, just got back from a hunt with my son, he shot a nice bull and we worked very hard to get it out to the truck. This would be an extremely hard hunt to do solo. My only concern, because bison can often be found in herds ( Johns was part of a herd of up to 45 animals) hunters on a shared hunt would have to be carefull not to harvest more than there tags allow.

PGK
12-21-2009, 12:29 AM
How about GOS?? :confused:

12-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Shared hunts for bison is a very good idea. It's won't increase the pressure or hunter density because no one goes alone anyway, and the numbers of tags could still be the same or whatever is required to meet conservation objectives. It certainly makes sense considering the logistics of moving and handling a 1500 pound carcass.

Shared hunts are a good recruitment/retention strategy and should be expanded to other species, maybe antlerless elk in the Peace and Kootenay's as well. Lots of opportunity in this idea for novice hunters to participate in exiting hunting trips and learn the ropes from veteran hunters.

hunter1947
12-21-2009, 07:28 AM

PGK open season would do a number on the bison ,the management have to have control on how many animals are put up for LEH.

12-21-2009, 09:17 AM

I'm not familiar with the numbers or the conditions and impacts up there, but I've heard it said that bison are expanding their range and doing a number on elk habitat in some areas, so if it's sustainable and the population will support it why not..?

pnbrock
12-21-2009, 10:16 AM
id like to know how guys are getting drawn more than once while im not getting this draw after 12years or any in5years?

d6dan
12-21-2009, 10:32 AM
id like to know how guys are getting drawn more than once while im not getting this draw after 12years or any in5years?

Blame it on a crappy draw system. Wheres my Rosie draw?. 14 yrs and still nada!..:?

PGK
12-21-2009, 10:41 AM
PGK open season would do a number on the bison ,the management have to have control on how many animals are put up for LEH.

That's the idea....the basstards are ruining elk and sheep habitat and are expanding further northward every year. Kill them. LEH numbers have been increased every year....we can't be far from GOS now one would hope :confused:

hunter1947
12-21-2009, 11:37 AM
That's the idea....the basstards are ruining elk and sheep habitat and are expanding further northward every year. Kill them. LEH numbers have been increased every year....we can't be far from GOS now one would hope :confused:

What I have heard is that there are two main herds and the two herds carry 2000 head.

If there was a short GOS for bison it would be like a bees nest from hunters come opening day.

12-21-2009, 12:28 PM
If a GOS would be sustainable why not support it. A GOS of any kind is a better deal for resident hunters then a LEH hunt. Also it would support the Ministry objective of turning 15% (or what ever the percentage is) of the current LEH hunts into GOS hunts.

hunter1947
12-21-2009, 12:38 PM
What I would like to know is how this region would handle the numbers of hunter all at one time if they did have a short GOS ????.

dutchie
12-21-2009, 12:39 PM
I am curious, If there is 50 bison athorizations per year (i do not know the actual number but that is a hypothetical number) and there are 20 groups with 4 in each group for a shared hunt, that is 80 bison.

If LEH was a random lottery (which it is sapose to be), and the first 15 draws were drawn had 4 hunters each, how would they work the numbers? would they reduce the numbers for the following years? would they draw and if someone has too many people in thier shared hunt do they nix that entery and go on to the next? do they seperate the 2 ppl, 3ppl, 4ppl sharing and draw a certain number out of each?

are you at a statistical advantage/disadvantage doing a shared LEH? and what about everyone else, is this putting them at a advantage/disadvantage.

I know nothing about the LEH system and it is a question that I have been wondering about for a long time.

Dutchie

12-21-2009, 01:20 PM
There are actually a few hundred offered in total. Over several dates, bulls, or any Bison depending on dates.
Check the leh pamphlet. This hunt would be ideal for shared hunts.

I hope the managers can realize this and consider it.

CT

12-21-2009, 03:12 PM
What I would like to know is how this region would handle the numbers of hunter all at one time if they did have a short GOS ????.

Same way as the Kootenay's when the Jr/Sr season is open for elk.

d6dan
12-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Same way as the Kootenay's when the Jr/Sr season is open for elk.

Not Fair!, I want a Disabled season:( to go along with old and young season.:-D

ChilliwackWinchester
12-21-2009, 04:50 PM
I am curious, If there is 50 bison athorizations per year (i do not know the actual number but that is a hypothetical number) and there are 20 groups with 4 in each group for a shared hunt, that is 80 bison.

20 groups with 4 hunters in each group would only be 40 tags, as a group of 4 hunters would get 2 tags during a shared hunt.

the number of hunters applying in each groupd would not affect the number of tags drawn (won't cause more tags to be given). They would stop drawing applicants once the tags alloted are gone.

303Brit
12-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Not Fair!, I want a Disabled season:( to go along with old and young season.:-D

No Dan get it at a seperate time that way in 2 years you can do both ;)
j/k

This idea makes far to much sense CT and I work for the gov't so I know anything that makes good sense can not be permitted to happen. :???::confused:

:arrow:I would love to see a shared Hunt for bison, and for other species as well. As it helps retention and promotes hunting to the new hunters.

12-21-2009, 06:20 PM
303 brit,

I do not work for the Government ........... I work in the lowermainland for one of the Cities located in it.

I am a resident of BC, Have been all my life.....

a shared hunt is the way to go with this one.......

Although, I have no problem with some single tags out either, but not the majority.

CT

303Brit
12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
I concur that a shared and single mix would be beneficial. I think if odds were increased to the shared it would promote more entries.

As it has been pointed out, not many people going it alone for Bison. So I don't see why they wouldn't go for this.

My above post was a little on the sarcastic side, I shall add some smiley's to denote that.

porcupine
12-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Blame it on a crappy draw system. Wheres my Rosie draw?. 14 yrs and still nada!..:?

14 years, is that all? I've been appling for 25 years and still waiting.
________
discuss vaporizers (http://vaporizer.org/forum/vapor-lounge/)

303Brit
12-21-2009, 06:59 PM

I find this rediculous as I know of people of on the base. Lived here maybe 2years and already they have been drawned. Not trying to start a war but the 2 of the 3 that got Rosie draws this year were from Que prior to being posted here. Meanwhile, long time residents and people born in the Prov go decades with out getting a draw, wtf is with that.

If someone applies for the same draw year after year, I think if they haven't been drawn in 5yrs their odds should be double to ensure they get a draw. This business of people getting multiple draws before another resident gets one is BS. Not trying to pick on the people that have got multiple draws, but this system doesn't seem to be fair to everyone. I don't know if the people that aren't getting drawn are only putting in for the longshot LEH's or not, but still 25yrs no draw the is BS. I think more shared leh's on more species would assist in relieving this problem.

dutchie
12-21-2009, 07:03 PM
20 groups with 4 hunters in each group would only be 40 tags, as a group of 4 hunters would get 2 tags during a shared hunt.

the number of hunters applying in each groupd would not affect the number of tags drawn (won't cause more tags to be given). They would stop drawing applicants once the tags alloted are gone.

I think that I was thinking group hunt...

Is there not one of the LEH's that you put in with firends and you all get your tag?

Dutchie

d6dan
12-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Well, sounds like you having a worse spell than me!!:-D

d6dan
12-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I find this rediculous as I know of people of on the base. Lived here maybe 2years and already they have been drawned. Not trying to start a war but the 2 of the 3 that got Rosie draws this year were from Que prior to being posted here. Meanwhile, long time residents and people born in the Prov go decades with out getting a draw, wtf is with that.

If someone applies for the same draw year after year, I think if they haven't been drawn in 5yrs their odds should be double to ensure they get a draw. This business of people getting multiple draws before another resident gets one is BS. Not trying to pick on the people that have got multiple draws, but this system doesn't seem to be fair to everyone. I don't know if the people that aren't getting drawn are only putting in for the longshot LEH's or not, but still 25yrs no draw the is BS. I think more shared leh's on more species would assist in relieving this problem.

Alberta's draw system. Better than this shitty one.:cry:

ChilliwackWinchester
12-21-2009, 07:26 PM
There used to be a group hunt for moose, and there may be still a group hunt for elk (or maybe the other way around), but I think one was substituted witht he Shared Hunt.

12-21-2009, 07:49 PM
Strange the hunt has not been offered for 25 yrs.

although my 15 or 16 yr. wait was long enough.......

I VOTE SHARED HUNT !!!!!

6 Dan
I think you raise a good point for disabled hunters, at least have it combined with youth or Jr. seasons
ct

PGK
12-21-2009, 08:06 PM
Alberta's draw system. Better than this shitty one.:cry:

Yeah, you'd only have to gain priority points for 150 years before getting drawn for the tag, instead of having an active shot at it every year. Sounds like a great plan!

OutWest
12-21-2009, 08:15 PM
Every draw system definitely has its flaws. I'm all for the shared hunt.

hunter1947
12-22-2009, 06:58 AM
Here in BC It might be a good Idea if the leh system gave a tag out to a group of 10 that are good friends and all put in for an leh draw for island elk or other game animals that are on leh.

The 10 of you are all allowed to put in as a shared hunt this draw system is 100% that your group get picked for the animal.

Then you can all fight over the leh tag and then the last women or man standing gets the to hunt the animal :mrgreen:.

ratherbefishin
12-22-2009, 07:30 AM
anybody have any idea what the success rate is ?