PDA

View Full Version : We know there is antlered does, but......

Buckmeister
12-17-2009, 10:39 PM
So yes, does have been known to grow antlers. But my question is, are there bucks that don't grow antlers?

Prowler
12-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Yes, they are called "Fawns":-D

Buckmeister
12-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Other than "Fawns"....:roll:.....but thanks for clarifying! :)

OutWest
12-17-2009, 11:04 PM

Hahaha beat me to it!

Lee
12-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Ran into another hunter this year and we got to chit chatting a little....and oddly enough he showed me a picture on his camera of a buck with no antlers. You could clearly see the 'junk', his belly was swollen up really good and it was clearly not a fawn.

Bullsh#t you say? Considering the other pictures he was showing me of other bucks, ones he had been hunting earlier in the year, the lynx picture and even some non hunting pictures I don't think he was making it up.

Maybe some disease preventing antler growth? Too close to powerlines perhaps? Either way it was a pretty strange thing to see.

sawmill
12-18-2009, 05:18 AM
Don`t know about that but I have met a few guys that haven`t grown a set of balls.:mrgreen:

hunter1947
12-18-2009, 05:24 AM
Anything is possible in the deer family ,I saw this big old buck that was mistaken for a doe ..

What had happened was that this buck was so old that he could not grow antlers no more this hunter shot this deer thinking it was a doe ,I saw it my self years back.

Sitkaspruce
12-18-2009, 11:14 AM
I shot one

I had a doe tag and was looking for a nice fat doe to shoot. I spotted one on a hillside and watched her for 10 minutes or so, just to make sure mr bucky was not around as well. After watching, I decided to take her. One shot at ~80 yards and she was down. As I was walking up to her, I could smell rut musk. I stopped and looked around, trying to see the buck that I could smell. After doing the search to no avail, I walked up to the deer. The first thing I noticed was the big tarsal glands. They were huge, with a brown stain up and down the leg. I immediatly looked at the head and moved the ears out of the way, no antlers. WTF???? I grabbed the legs and spread em, yup one nut was showing. I again looked at the head and after picking it up, I could see two dark brown spots where antlers should have been. The pedicles were there, but no antlers were growing. The "She" was a "He"........He had no visible bony antlers, had only one nut, he stunk like a big old muley buck in rut and no he was not a fawn as he had no spots, no mom and he weighted ~130 lbs. He gave us 40 lbs of boneless meat.

So they are out there.

Cheers

SS

Ozone
12-18-2009, 11:47 AM
She walked up to me
and she asked me to dance
I asked her her name
and in a dark brown voice
she said Lola
L-O-L-A Lola
la la la la Lola

tmarschall
12-18-2009, 12:00 PM
They have done studies down here where they have literally bred the antlers off of male deer, so i guess it is possible, but hard to imagine in a natural environment... aside from injuries and things like that which may prevent antler growth.

Lee
12-18-2009, 06:07 PM
Dude looks like a lady.

huntwriter
12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
So yes, does have been known to grow antlers. But my question is, are there bucks that don't grow antlers?

Yes there are bucks that don't grow antlers. It happens very rarely but it does happen. The reasons for it can be many such as lack of nutrition, illness, accident and others affecting the overall health condition of the animal. Having said that, most bucks only skip one year and if things return to normal the buck will start growing antlers again.

In captivity bucks have been observed to stop antler growth if they are very old. In nature of course they never get that old.