PDA

View Full Version : Duck Calls

Farmer John
12-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Seems like there's a poll for every other aspect of waterfowling. I've bought a few calls in the $20 range. Really like the sound of my Haydel Double Reed Xtra Loud Mallard, really hate the sound of my Phat lady and my Faulk's.
Just wondering what others use.

Jetboater
12-17-2009, 10:37 PM
yo sista acrylic is my favorite call....or any other acrylic call for that matter

Marc
12-17-2009, 10:52 PM
Picked up an acrylic RnT Daisy cutter, some people like it others don't. I like it, and the ducks seem to like it as well :D

Dutch
12-18-2009, 12:53 AM
Yup got the same RNT and its my second one. Have a couple Taylor talkers from down south (Wash.). My new RNT is a great one, tryed out abouy 6 down at Cabellas in Lacey and it sounded the best ,better than the Foiles meat cutter that I was After.A good caller can manage just about any call but an average caller needs all the help I can get.Have a few old Ohlts and a couple of whistlers to.

field marshal
12-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Where do you get the idea the ducks like your call:confused::confused::confused:
Cheers Field Marshal.

overunder
12-18-2009, 09:33 PM
buck gardner calls are quite reasonably priced and work well.

farmboy
12-18-2009, 10:47 PM
RNT Quackhead, Lohman Pintail Whistle calls are ones my favorites out 2 dozens calls.

porcupine
12-18-2009, 11:22 PM
Glen Scobey mallard call. Great sound for ducks on the Island. It must have the right accent.
________
VT750CD (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_VT750CD)

Deer Sausage
12-19-2009, 12:39 AM
I hunt with my brother and he pulls the cord on our jerk rig and i do the calling. that means he buys some string and i have to buy the calls! i started out with duck commander calls. theyre cheap and they work...one really good one is the drake mallard...it makes that meep meep of a mallard drake if you grunt in it and if you just blow it will work just like a widgeon whistle. this year i tried a more expensive acrylic call, a strait meat single. im a passable caller but im no expert. that acrylic is better, the sound is better but i find it a lot less forgiving...like you really have to concentrate or you can blow what my brother calls "a bad one..." a cheap call is maybe twenty bucks and a higher end one is about 100 but i have to admit it....they do sound better.

PGK
12-19-2009, 03:11 AM
Primos over and under, doesn't do good feeding quack, but I've got a different call for that.

kastles
12-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Had expensive ones but lost them to the ocean so I picked up a phat lady and some other black one with an extra hole in the end part to cover or not and that changes the pitch. It sucks. So I'm sticking with the phat lady and a peeper for now.

303Brit
12-19-2009, 11:59 AM
I am a mediocre caller at best, working on it. I have a phat lady and that primos shaker, it seems to do an alrite feeding call. I'm lacking in the consistency area with my phat lady.

Farmer John
12-19-2009, 12:25 PM
I have the Primos Phat Lady too. trying to make the call loud enough for far off ducks to hear it gives it too high of a pitch and it doesn't sound real. I also bought a shaker a few years back and found it too quiet to be effective. It also took too much movement to use when the ducks were in close. I lost it in the marsh 2 years ago and didn't really bother looking too hard for it.

303Brit
12-19-2009, 01:05 PM
I find the shaker is good for when they circle behind me, I always have pretty good back cover. I notice the volume on both, to be kind of quiet. The shaker lets me have a lil more depth of calls, like I said I know I'm not a great caller. So instead of luring them in and screwing it(hence my prior comment of consistency) I'll stop or switch to the shaker if cover permits.
I think that I will spend more time in the off season working on my consistency (both ducks and geese) before I put out more money on a call that doesn't gain me any added benefit over what I have. Besides Mrs SKS intends to join me in the blind next year, so I gotta pick up a cassy gun for her. Along with more dekes, maybe a layout blind or 2, and I would like a mojo as well.

trett
12-25-2009, 01:46 PM
lares A-5 great sounding call and easy to drive.

HailCall
12-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Rnt, lares, echo are all good calls, If ya want to keep it inexpensive if you can run a single reed Rnt quackhead series will run as will bucks calls. I would learn on a single reed because once you master it you can run any call. Good instruction is the Carlson system or go to callingducks.com they have a lot of sound clips. I compete with a gaston but it is a special order they are good calls also if ya get the straight barrel. I would try a buch and see what fits you the best. Seth

Theo722
12-25-2009, 10:30 PM
I use a Hunters Specialty I think, the writtings worn off, but it's a double reed and came with a CD last year. I like the gratiness of the sound if vocolized into and good for far higher pitch comebacks when just blown. Turns ducks with hails and comebacks then on good days keep'sem comming with low quacks and double cut feeding chuckles, I just learned this year, when overhead. Tried my friends Yo Sista and really liked how good it sounded but didn't do well when not vocolized into.