PDA

View Full Version : Brutal season.

Moose72
12-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Well not sure if it is just me or has this season just been brutal? All summer long there were deer everywhere, come time to bring out the pokers and bangers it seemed like the only thing for the freezer seemed to be dead pine trees and brush piles. I finally saw a couple bucks in the last 2 days and couldn't connect. There were moose around if ya called them, but even driven in and out of the (HOT SPOTS) there weren't to many of those either. Saw a sh#t wack of does?????? Haven't seen it like this ever. Anyone else have the same season?

Moose72
12-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh yea, i am in the interior as well. Wierd season.

frenchbar
12-17-2009, 06:12 PM
Well not sure if it is just me or has this season just been brutal? All summer long there were deer everywhere, come time to bring out the pokers and bangers it seemed like the only thing for the freezer seemed to be dead pine trees and brush piles. I finally saw a couple bucks in the last 2 days and couldn't connect. There were moose around if ya called them, but even driven in and out of the (HOT SPOTS) there weren't to many of those either. Saw a sh#t wack of does?????? Haven't seen it like this ever. Anyone else have the same season?
Your Ram should more than make up for a Brutal season:wink:

Moose72
12-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Your Ram should more than make up for a Brutal season:wink:Oh it does for sure. Just wonderin.

brotherjack
12-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Yeah, me and the guys I keep tabs with during the season (about a dozen of us), all had the worst year ever, by a mile. You'd never know it was a bad year by all the guys posting critters on HBC, though. Maybe was just us.

OutWest
12-17-2009, 06:16 PM
I thought the season was a good one to be honest. Not just because of the success I had but wherever we went there seemed to be plenty of animals. Any place that gets heavily hunted won't have animals hanging around in the open. We hunted areas that took a lot of work to get into and saw plenty of game. Although I didn't see very many WT bucks until the end of the season.

dave_fras
12-17-2009, 06:24 PM
im with nickroth... this was my first full season in the past 4 that was wasnt injured!.... the past 3 years i was in a roboboot... wasnt much fun! i did a ass load of hiking this year and it really paid off!... ive never seen so many elk either!... 7 bulls but nothin bigger than a 5x5!

ufishifish2
12-17-2009, 06:32 PM
I found this season to be fine, although the bucks did seem to stay up in their summer range for much longer than normal. Just had to change strategies a bit, atleast around here.

OutWest
12-17-2009, 06:33 PM
im with nickroth... this was my first full season in the past 4 that was wasnt injured!.... the past 3 years i was in a roboboot... wasnt much fun! i did a ass load of hiking this year and it really paid off!... ive never seen so many elk either!... 7 bulls but nothin bigger than a 5x5!

That's how you gotta do it Dave! Glad to hear you're all healed up! 7 seems like a lucky numer. I saw 7 on opening morning. Granted 3 were spikes and 2 were 3 points. I then saw a monster bull but ended up shooting the smaller 6x6 he was with.

dave_fras
12-17-2009, 07:28 PM
ya but it wasnt lucky enough for me!... i couldnt find that sixth point haha... oh well... i ended up gettin my region 8 mulie in the same place with only like a week left in the bow season.. so it all worked out

SUAFOYT
12-17-2009, 07:32 PM
We found this year to be odd as well. Moose during typical rut time were few and far between. Those that had November draws around here seemed to do well. Everything seemed to be late. Virtually no big bucks that I'm aware of, even the dink variety were scarce when we had been seeing lots of bucks in August.

Kody94
12-17-2009, 07:33 PM
My experience was the opposite. I had the best luck this year that I have ever had. Its funny how it happens.

Muleycatcher
12-17-2009, 07:54 PM
My season started off good seeing some monster bucks(couldn't connect), then went for sh*t, I had a november doe draw and i was the only one out of our group to get one and I had to look hard for it, definitely an odd year for me.

Darksith
12-17-2009, 08:15 PM
nope, had a great season. Was involved in 3 4 point mulies being taken. Was on an elk hunt with a cow draw and struck out though. We saw them, just never got a good shot. Was on a moose hunt and was surprised to be surrounded by hunters when there shouldn't of been any. Saw my moose, but again nothing in the back of the truck. But thats not to say that I didn't see a crap load of bucks, turned down 1 on day 1 of sept 4 point season, and of course he was the biggest I saw all year, but thats ok.

todbartell
12-17-2009, 08:48 PM
My experience was the opposite. I had the best luck this year that I have ever had. Its funny how it happens.

same here, and I even got out less than any year in the past few! Im sure next year will suck :mrgreen:

Kody94
12-17-2009, 09:01 PM
same here, and I even got out less than any year in the past few! Im sure next year will suck :mrgreen:

ditto that! It seems the years I try the hardest are the unluckiest. And if my past history repeats, I'll probably get 8 or 9 "unlucky" years before my next "lucky" one!

mark
12-17-2009, 09:21 PM
Opposite for me! Last year was the worst deer season of my life, this year was by far the best, had multiple chances on big bucks and bagged the heaviest one of my life. Saw lots of elk too, no shooters!

Jim, was there any crankers taken in 100 mile this year???

Brambles
12-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Well my partner and I both got 6x6 bull elk, but then we also got shit canned by a grizz so I think "luck wise" they cancel each other out.

I shot my mulie but I try hard to get one of those each year, finding him the first time was kinda easy, finding him the second time wasn't soo easy. The early snow definitly put a spin on the season for us.

Even after considering the "Nylon Rodeo" I'd probably rate the season above average.

stixnstones
12-17-2009, 10:17 PM
never saw your ram + story of it. pm me with the details please.thanks

frenchbar
12-17-2009, 10:20 PM
never saw your ram + story of it. pm me with the details please.thanks

http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=39948

hillclimber
12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
my best season yet. 3 deer in the freezer.

sawmill
12-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Yeah, me and the guys I keep tabs with during the season (about a dozen of us), all had the worst year ever, by a mile. You'd never know it was a bad year by all the guys posting critters on HBC, though. Maybe was just us.

Glad I`m not the only one.My wife and I got our LEH does and I passed some smaller bucks but the last 2 weeks when the crunch came I could not even buy a buck,not even a spike.I was out pretty much every day and saw literally hundreds of does and fawns but not one single buck.(Except for the friggen monster mulies in my yard when I go to start the truck in the morning)
I never saw one real good buck this year,normally I find a few 140`sh in my honey spots but this year..........Nada.:confused:

Oh well,I`ll probably end up totaling my car off in the near future on an elk on my way to Cranbrook.Question.....Are you allowed to swap a Ford Taurus for a smashed up elk?(assuming you live through it)

hunter1947
12-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Moose72 a person gets these years sometimes you just let it go and think of the next year ,i know all about it I have had a few like this over my years of hunting.

sawmill
12-18-2009, 05:53 AM
And it hurts that Steadygirl kicked my ass this fall with that beauty white tail she got.Some how I knew she would,Kids got depth.:mrgreen:

Fisher-Dude
12-18-2009, 07:05 AM
This was an excellent deer season for me and my huntin' buddies. Toughest part for me was moping around the house after tagging out! :mrgreen:

sawmill
12-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Actually I think I gave the deer away this fall,my cousin came down from PG twice this year with 2 friends.Total was 5 deer and an elk.I should have kept my good spots to myself.What are ya gonna do though.....family .He owes me a moose hunt next fall.:mrgreen:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-18-2009, 08:40 AM
Opposite for me! Last year was the worst deer season of my life, this year was by far the best, had multiple chances on big bucks and bagged the heaviest one of my life. Saw lots of elk too, no shooters!

Jim, was there any crankers taken in 100 mile this year???

Mark-Didn't you work a lot more last fall compared to this fall???

Time in the field "can" play a huge roll.

One of my worst seasons in recent memory.
SSS

Piperdown
12-18-2009, 08:50 AM
For me it was one of my most successful, saw some of the biggest animals I have ever seen and shot some of the smallest :biggrin: Hunted in areas I have never hunted before and had the most fun this season that I have ever had hunting. Now if I can only connect on those big ones :roll:

12-18-2009, 09:02 AM
I only filled by whitetail doe LEH (so far...one more day of bowhunting for me :mrgreen:). My hunting partner, on the other hand, got a 321 inch 6x6 elk, a 150 inch 4x4 muley, and a 119 inch non-typical whitetail....the best season he has ever had. Thanks to him my freezer is filled :-D

stitch
12-18-2009, 09:17 AM
This was an excellent deer season for me and my huntin' buddies. Toughest part for me was moping around the house after tagging out! :mrgreen:

My best also for many reasons....tagged out ...time to do some fly fishing. I was out last week but it was bitter cold....bbbrrrr

pete_k
12-18-2009, 09:23 AM
I had a good year and learned lots.

LYKTOHUNT
12-18-2009, 10:37 AM
Nope not just you .Deer numbers in my area are way down Moose seemed to be pretty good

Moose72
12-18-2009, 11:35 AM

Jim, was there any crankers taken in 100 mile this year???None that i've heard of no.

huntwriter
12-18-2009, 11:55 AM

It has been a weird season throughout North America. Many hunters from Florida and all the up to Canada reported seeing fewer deer movement at daylight hours. Seeing lots of sign but not the bucks that made it. Seeing no deer where they could traditionally expect to see lots of deer. Seeing only small bucks where they usually seen lots of big bucks and so on.

It's been an unusual year be that deer, ducks or fish. Something for the biologists to work out or we just can blame it on Global Warming.

blindguy
12-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Was a good season for me and my hunting partner started off on the island where we both shot our biggest blacktails and saw more bucks this year than the last couple put together.then went up to the peace for our annual trip and did great i got my biggest whitey to date and we brought my dad along and got to wacth him shoot his first deer in 20 years very cool a memmory i'll never forget.We did see far fewer mulies than normal though.

BearStump
12-18-2009, 12:58 PM
pretty frustrating year for me. I did get One blacktail, and a nice bear. but what is frustrating is going away for a week and not seeing a single buck in a real good area.
Then when I get home, I hear from a buddy who went with 5 other guys to a lake that typically wouldn't have ANY deer, but guess what? THEY ALL TAGGED OUT.on nice bucks in 3 days.

go figure. next year will be better:-?:-?:-?

Orangethunder
12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Some good and some bad for me. Muley rut seemed funny where I was but did see one good buck up close. Deer #'s seemed a bit lower in some spots. Bears were kinda pissy...

springpin
12-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, I had a spectacular year. Learned lots, seen lots of cool stuff, and filled 3 out of 5 tags. But, this was a strange season, the critters were hard to find and far and few between.

dana
12-18-2009, 06:07 PM
It's all a matter of perspective for me. My son and I put 5 deer in the freezer, so I can't say that hunting was brutal. Had an Oct Bull moose draw in what I once considered a great unit. Saw 1 bull the entire hunt. In years past, I'd be tripping over the bulls. But how can one be disappointed when I spent the entire moose season hunting with my 2 kids? The late deer season was tuff, but I can't say brutal. I had to hunt my ass off just to see deer, but I passed on plenty of 4 points and a few bucks that most guys would drool over. When you set high standards, it is quite common to eat tag soup. For me it is the challenge of the hunt that makes it so exciting.

watson721
12-18-2009, 06:33 PM
definately weird i only started seeing alot of buck around the end of the season

Ddog
12-18-2009, 07:06 PM
great season for all i hunt with this year in the EK, hot early september was the best reported in years here, the butchers were half full by the end of the archery season which is rare indeed. Lots of elk, lots more deer.

one-shot-wonder
12-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Great season for deer hunting.....no shortage of deer in Souther Interior.
Sheep was a different story up in 7. Didn't even see a ram, but that was just me I guess.......All in all it was another great one to remember!

Kody94
12-18-2009, 07:14 PM
great season for all i hunt with this year in the EK, hot early september was the best reported in years here, the butchers were half full by the end of the archery season which is rare indeed. Lots of elk, lots more deer.

My friends in the EK definitely had a better than average season on elk.

Magnumb
12-18-2009, 08:03 PM
This was a bizarre year in my favorite areas. Managed to bag a couple of bucks this year, but found both in areas that didn't hold a track for years. Had to hunt a different style to get them. Go figure. As for our local butcher, he says that he has seen about 1/2 to 2/3 of the animals he normally sees. The size of the animals taken appears to be bigger though.

Will
12-18-2009, 08:31 PM
My failure to connect on a Muley this year was strictly because of too many "resident poachers" :-D

:rolleyes:

sparky300winmag
12-18-2009, 10:27 PM
All in all i had a great season.I was present for (4) young hunters shooting thier first white tails.my bro got his leh moose with a crossbow, my youngest shot a beauty mulie,i have (4) deer in the freezer thanks to my 2 sons and myself.I put in litteraly hundreds of hours of hunting , but didn't connect with an elk for my sons or myself.This is my first year living in the Ek and my sons have never experienced game like what is available here.This is a great year because i was able to show them why i love it here.

Sitkaspruce
12-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Was a pretty good year for me, put 2.5 deer in the freezer and a nice berry bear. Saw more bucks this year than in the past and had a great trip to the interior with some good friends.

I was out hunting again this year, so to me that is the biggest success. Getting an animal is the bonus.

Cheers

SS

Andy83
12-18-2009, 11:33 PM
i didnt have a great season either. I got a bear in september with my bow, but then didnt connect on my moose leh in 5-4, and couldn't make my elk hunt in 4-20, and didn't find a buck all fall. But I am looking forward to next year, it should be better!!

RockyMountainHunter1
12-19-2009, 10:40 AM
My best as well 3 nice bucks between me and my gf a goat and a last day bear my birthday just happens to be on closing day so it works out that i get to take the day off every year for one more kick at the can

cloverphil
12-19-2009, 11:10 AM
well I had a great season, and one of my hunting buddies got his cow and calf moose on the same trip, before I split my first mulie with him; I also seen my first moose this year, 3 large bulls in region 2, can't wait for next year, itch itch itchin' to go again