PDA

View Full Version : This is what I would like to see

snareman1234
12-17-2009, 01:19 PM
I have been on this forum for a year now and have learned tons!
but I have also seen tons of arguing over the internet, unneccessary bragging and unfriendliness. Some of it deserving, such as the people who get fed up with other asking for hunting spots

yes I would give a spot to someone who wanted to get a deer, I could say yea, go up to princeton for example, but its quite annoying when people want the valley, the road, and trail, and tree, that they will find their monster animal at.

My proposal, is that over the winter, while hunting is slowed up. I would like to see some threads started showing "how-to" type information

this would give people valuable info that they can use, but they can find their own spot to use it, and with some good hunting skills, will find their own hunny holes

how to find good spots for treestand hunting

good binos and spotting scopes, and how to successfully spot and stalk

The Wolf trapping thread is great

I'm sure guys would like to learn more about coyote hunting

Maybe a thread on moose and elk calling

We might aswell share some tips. I mean if you have a great way to call moose, share it, don't say, yea up at -------- down----road in the-----swamp do this. just some general info people can apply to their own spots

12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Jelvis has started a few thrads like that......you have to read the responses as we alll know understanding jelvis is well ......tough sometimes :)
but there is alot of good stuff in them
thanks Jel

Ozone
12-17-2009, 01:50 PM
It would work, except for the lack put into looking for it, you could make them stickys but that would still only stop a small percent from still asking.

snareman1234
12-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Yea I gues lol
we would all love it all winter
and come spring everyone would be asking about how to kill the grizz they got the draw for in uknown territory, and same in fall for deer moose and elk

Hombre
12-17-2009, 02:49 PM
Great idea!But I'm afraid human nature will take the path of least resistance, and still ask the how , when and where questions.
If they did their research whether here or books , magazines,and videos they would find the answers.The rest is getting out there and gaining
experience like most of us.

Gateholio
12-17-2009, 02:54 PM
Most of the info is, there, just gotta search for it...

bridger
12-17-2009, 02:58 PM
there have been some great how to threads on the site. one of the best last year discussed equipment to use for a back pack sheep hunt. I think another great thread would be a thread discussing the uses of horses and equipment for mtn hunting. there a lot of great ideas to discuss to while away the winter.

boxhitch
12-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Some of it deserving, such as the people who get fed up with other asking for hunting spots
deserving of a backlash? I doubt it, but others do get worked up about the little things. sux to be them
about as smart as bitchin out a panhandler
its as easy as ignoring what you disagree with

Lots of good info here in the years, even on horses.

12-17-2009, 03:14 PM
hey do you guys know where to hunt elk :)
just kidding
is there any way other than a sticky to quick referance these threads?
like a section of the site a mod could dump it in closed for read only?
its hard for new people to search key words some times.
maby in a members only section titled "good things to know" er something

Cariboospeed
12-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I'm a moderator on a very large and active car forum. You can make all the how to's in the world, post all the facts and NHRA rules you want. Some people are just plain dependent and will not do their own research and draw their own conclusions, or don't know what 'Google' does.

Some basic things like links to articles, or videos help, and because they're from a third party, less likely to start an opinion war.

Gun cleaning:
http://www.americanrifleman.org/Webcontent/pdf/2009-10/20091015104116-cleanbarrel.pdf

Coyote skinning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3PYLjRlOZU

gamer
12-17-2009, 03:54 PM
one of the best last year discussed equipment to use for a back pack sheep hunt.
Funny you should mention that one. I spent 20 min. looking for it last night. Finally found it and now I just copy posts like that right to my computer for reference.

quadrakid
12-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I think its a great idea to start some how to threads for new or younger hunters. Of course some of this info will have been covered in previous threads but i,m sure there are topics worth revisiting and new topics not covered. I think a lot of folks who have hunted for many years forget that what they know is an accumulation of many years of experience and that folks new to hunting have plenty to learn. I think i,ll start a new thread myself.

mud-dog27
12-17-2009, 07:51 PM
Most of the info is, there, just gotta search for it...

i hate how so many people still dont know how a search button works or where it is for that matter and even if they do they still ask, even if the answer to the question is stickied.

with that said, how-to articles are great for those of us who know how to use em but at the same time it takes a bit of time to put together a decent How-To

bridger
12-18-2009, 04:26 AM
another good thread would discuss the problems encountered using quads such as emergency repairs, secondary euipment required, trailers used etc, tips on getting through mud holes stuff like that for guys that are just starting to use quads that have little experience.

hunter1947
12-18-2009, 05:20 AM
I feel that for me if you don't want to tell anyone about anything on this site it is up to that person not to.

If you would like to share some information then go ahead its your choice.

For me I will share input when I think it is the right time to do so http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

snareman1234
12-18-2009, 08:47 AM
That would be a great one bridger!

Lol I think we've all been stuck before, I bet lots of people have some interesting tips

bridger
12-18-2009, 08:54 AM
I think i will start a thread about horse back hunting equipment and tips for traveling in the mtns, just for fun as this is the quiet time of the year for me and don't have much to do. take a few days for pics etc.

blindguy
12-18-2009, 08:56 AM
snareman if your that bored this winter go get a pack of choveis and start getting ready for next year.lol just jokin .
You havesome good ideas there.

snareman1234
12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I would be very interested in a horse back thread!

Lol blind guy. I just might! they'd be dam dry

leadpillproductions
12-18-2009, 01:52 PM
there have been some great how to threads on the site. one of the best last year discussed equipment to use for a back pack sheep hunt. I think another great thread would be a thread discussing the uses of horses and equipment for mtn hunting. there a lot of great ideas to discuss to while away the winter.

x 2 some good threads equipment would be great

snareman1234
12-18-2009, 06:32 PM
What got me thinking about this is on another forum they have an Archived section and it is amazing, they have all the trapping info a guy could ever need

here's a link, just check it out, they have specific info on everything. and the link is to the "land trapping archive" there are lots of other archives like water, trap prep, outdoor living and survival, skinning etc.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/9/1/Land_Trapping_Archive.html

Alpine Addict
02-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Know a good place for a 44+ inch ram? Won't tell anyone else.. Promise.

LYKTOHUNT
02-25-2010, 06:24 PM
I feel that for me if you don't want to tell anyone about anything on this site it is up to that person not to.

If you would like to share some information then go ahead its your choice.

For me I will share input when I think it is the right time to do so http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.
What could be simpler than this it makes perfect sense. Why is is so distasteful for some people to have to see a question or suggestion on this forum more than once or twice there is always something more to see or learn the second time around.
I think it sometimes is an opportunity for some to puff out their chest to show they know it all and it elevates their ego to put others down.
I for one am hopeless on computers and do not know how to navigate all the functions and search features and forget about posting pictures I can hardly take a picture on the digital camera.

BlacktailStalker
02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
What got me thinking about this is on another forum they have an Archived section and it is amazing, they have all the trapping info a guy could ever need

here's a link, just check it out, they have specific info on everything. and the link is to the "land trapping archive" there are lots of other archives like water, trap prep, outdoor living and survival, skinning etc.
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/9/1/Land_Trapping_Archive.html

Thanks for the link snareman1234, I'm a fellow trapper now too :cool:

snareman1234
02-25-2010, 07:26 PM
heyhey right on, its good stuff on there, was very helpful for me, in learning all aspects of trapping.

snareman1234
02-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey Alpine Addict, come over to my dorm room next year in kelowna and look on the wall

I'm sure you'll find what you seek!

lol Jk, I wish :) Probably just going to shoot another spike buck next year!

hunter1947
02-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Thanks for the link snareman1234, I'm a fellow trapper now too :cool:

Congratulations big man ,its nice to see more people getting into trapping http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif..

RiverOtter
02-25-2010, 08:26 PM
For the trappers here who are looking for a trapping only site, with no B.S., this place is excellent.

http://forum.sullivansline.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi

And if you want a Canadian site, this one is worth a look.

http://www.trapper.ca/cnta/index.php

snareman1234
02-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Great advice River Otter, used both of them aswell, found lots of great info!

RiverOtter
02-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Must agree that an "archive" section is a great feature for condensing a lot of good info.. That said, it would take a tonne of time to pull off, especially on a site like this with lots of traffic/posts.

The search feature on this site, can be quite fickle at times. I have used it to find threads that have dropped a couple pages and still had to try several different key words/user names, to find something I already knew was there.

snareman1234
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Oh totally agree with you

I spend as much time reading new posts and I do old posts, found searching.

But the archive would not be for you or I, it would be for newbies who ask the repetitive questions and want all the answer essentially for free

They ask every question they have ever had, and try to solve a lifetime worth of thinking and adapting in a post lol, and expect people to answer how to do it, when, why...

RiverOtter
02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Still not as bad as the ones without the first clue, who give advice anyway......:confused:

Ahhh, the beauty of da net..........:mrgreen:

358mag
02-27-2010, 06:43 PM
Know a good place for a 44+ inch ram? Won't tell anyone else.. Promise.
Yuppers try over in Central Asia lots of 44+ rams over there and little or no residental pressure