PDA

View Full Version : Cure for cold feet??

CanuckShooter
12-17-2009, 09:31 AM
Is there such a thing as a pair of boots that actually keep your feet warm and dry as advertised?? I've tried countless styles claiming -60c rating etc and always get cold feet...tried toe warmers with mixed results...electric socks [suc]....anyone ever actually have a positive experience to relate???

rocksteady
12-17-2009, 09:33 AM
Buy some extra strength ANTIPERSPIRANT (not deodorant)...Put it on the bottoms of your feet every time you have a shower...

Feet no sweat, feet no cold !!!!

Ciskman
12-17-2009, 10:06 AM
I am also prone to cold feet and have had lots of opportunity to suffer through some extreme cold. The best boots I have used to date are Baffin Impacts. I used them last March while spending 15 days out on the sea ice and land on the coast of Ellesmere Island.

No matter what boots I have had, through trial and error I find that a few things will make a huge difference in keeping the feet warm.

1) I buy sock systems. Get a thin sock for next to skin/wicking layer and a thick wool/fleece sock over top.

2) ensure you bring your socks when you buy your boots to ensure proper fit. If you usualy wear a size 9 you might need a 9.5 or 10. This is important because if your boots are to tight your feet will get cold.

3) Dry your boots and liners out each night...even if its just by the fire. This especialy includes insoles. Even if you think everything is dry chances are they're not and you will be able to tell the next morning.

4) Bring an extra pair of socks per day with you and change half way through the day. Yes its extra weight but it will make a difference.

Good luck! I feel your pain:)

Ciskman
12-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Heres the link...they come in camo too!

http://www.baffin.com/Comersus7F/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=81

12-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Also try and warm up the insole or whole interior of the boot before you put them on. Insulation has come a long way in hunting boots. If you put them on and lace them up tight after they have been off for awhile and cooled down, the boot will hold the cold air inside. Especially if your feet are cold when you put them on. So warm up your feet by the fire, and warm up the inside of the put before putting them on and you will trap in the warm air.

Roots
12-17-2009, 10:20 AM
Another tip - just make sure you're boots are not laced up too tightly. Having good blood circulation makes your feet warmer.

johnes50
12-17-2009, 10:23 AM
I used to be a surveyor for the city of Edmonton and I always bought felt pack boots an extra size big and with and a spare pair of liners. I would put a couple or three pairs of socks on and try to make sure they're loose so you have good circulation in your feet and so the sweat can get out. Always make sure your feet and socks are dry and stay dry. Even if you have to change socks during the day.

BearStump
12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
not sure if you're talking about sitting in your stand, or hiking. sitting is painfully cold sometimes. try using muscle contractions. I forget what its called, but you tense up a specific muscle group as tight as you can ,hold it for 10 sec. and release. then pick a different muscle. this gets the blood flowing without moving around. keeps you way warmer.
I cant say that I've ever gotten cold feet while hiking.

Onesock
12-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Sorel- Glacier model.
We use them for tree stand hunting. No good for walking but super for sitting for long periods of time.

Squirrelnuts
12-17-2009, 11:02 AM
I used to be a surveyor for the city of Edmonton and I always bought felt pack boots an extra size big and with and a spare pair of liners. I would put a couple or three pairs of socks on and try to make sure they're loose so you have good circulation in your feet and so the sweat can get out. Always make sure your feet and socks are dry and stay dry. Even if you have to change socks during the day.

That's the secret right there. Buy 'em big, fill 'em up with socks and dry them out at night. I quit buying Sorels and started using no name felt packs and haven't noticed a difference either in warmth or longevity. I get a winter out of a pair of cheapies, and that's all I used to get out of Sorels. (Snowshoe bindings eventually wear through them).

pete_k
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
I bought Irish Setter - Elk Trackers with 1000g insulate.
Then I bought a pair of Smartwool socks.
The lady at Robertsons Clothiers in Kelowna said "You'll need these too"
and threw in a pair of what looked like panty hose socks.
I just took them and thanked her.

Tried them out and they work great.

Another thing to try is throw a pair of air activated hand warmers into your boots at night when you get back to camp.

You can also grab two small fist sized stones from your fire and wrap them in socks and place in your boots to dry them out.

Also. Hang on to those decicant packs you get when you buy electronics. Keep them in your boots (or gun case for that matter).

I wonder how well putting anti-persperant on your feet works. I'm gonna try that out.

fumder
12-17-2009, 12:02 PM
i have the same irish setters, with thinsulate.
the polyporpelyene socks are the key with them to stay warm. that, and making sure they're BROKEN IN! when i got them i went on a week long moose hunt, and got snow, my feet were never colder. ended up using my -40 actons with steel toes. way too heavy, but nice and warm. over the next summer, i wore the setters every other weekend for hikes, 4 wheeling etc, when they got pliable, they felt warm, didn't cut off circulation to my toes anymore.

LOC
12-17-2009, 12:20 PM
another trick if your in camp, put some handwarmers into the boots before you put them on in the morning (I take them out before I put them on). Take the chill out of the toes.

Jerry D
12-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Irish Setter 2000g boots with a thin wicking sock + a thick wool sock

My feet sweat in 1000g boots with socks when walking. I think stand hunting the 2000 grams would be enough.

ape
12-17-2009, 03:09 PM
It probably doesn't help that you are an old bugger and have poor circulation.

Jagermeister
12-17-2009, 03:58 PM
Amputation and prosthetics.

Podman
12-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Buy some extra strength ANTIPERSPIRANT (not deodorant)...Put it on the bottoms of your feet every time you have a shower...

Feet no sweat, feet no cold !!!!

I agree 100% but would go with Drysol which should be over the counter but you have to ask the pharmacist. And night time is the best time to apply it. If you do it during the day your feet are already sweating and it is too late. Extra strength antiperspirant will do the same thing only drysol is a liquid so it penetrates better. I agree that the right boots and socks are important but if your feet are wet at all your done.

from a foot doc.

Surrey Boy
12-17-2009, 04:39 PM
"Amputation and prosthetics". That works for erectile dysfunction too, no?

Barracuda
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
warm weather is the best solution

Surrey Boy
12-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Try pig hunting in Florida. Year-round season and hotels are dirt cheap now.

CanuckShooter
12-17-2009, 04:46 PM
It probably doesn't help that you are an old bugger and have poor circulation.

Easy now young feller....:biggrin:

Never thought of the anti perspirant...should be worth a try.

Anyone ever try those little pull over your hunting boot booties [for sittin'] they sell in the catalogs??

I bought a pair of 15EEE goretex boots so I could get two pair of socks on without getting all squished up. But where on earth can you find a heavy weight icelandic sock in a mans size?? [mans size = bigger than 12-15 at marks]

Jagermeister
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
"Amputation and prosthetics". That works for erectile dysfunction too, no?No, no. See Alice, come to think of it, it's good for cold feet too!:lol:

hunter7413
12-17-2009, 07:25 PM
buy yourself a pair of bunny boots(the white color ones) and you will never have cold feet again. I use them in 40 below and never get cold feet.try lookin them up on ebay they are army surplus and cost about 100 bucks

rocksteady
12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
[quote=Ciskman;580692]
1) I buy sock systems. Get a thin sock for next to skin/wicking layer and a thick wool/fleece sock over top.

/quote]

I find that if I wear cotton tube socks as my first layer, I do not sweat much, however if I wear a pair of nylon based socks (like dress socks) my feet sweat like a bugger in 15 minutes of doing nothing (just sitting)

Sitkaspruce
12-18-2009, 10:32 AM
The biggest things for me are to keep the rest of my body warm as well. Make sure you have on a good toque or other well insulated hat. Keeping my head warm really helps with keeping the rest of me warm. Also dress in layers and make sure that your body moisture is wicked away from the body. I rarely wear glove, except when I am going to be doing a lot of sitting or riding. I cannot stand gloves. But they do help with keeping me warm.

I have used the Sorel Mavericks for 10 years while working in FSJ and never had really cold feet if the rest of me was warm. Good wool socks also make a difference for me. I use these long green ones from the Irish Military. Not sure where to get them anymore, but they are thick and very warm.

There is a study out there that talks about the reason that women get cold feet and hands (among other things:wink:) is that the body moves blood to where it is needed most, the Core organs(lungs and heart) and to the reproductive organs. If they keep those nice and warm, the hands and feet stay warmer.

Maybe you need to keep your "Reproductive Organs" warmer.....:mrgreen::wink::wink:

Cheers

SS

Chuck
12-18-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm certain that anyone who suffers unduly from cold feet or hands, when everyone else around him is coping well (and everything else being equal) should pop into the doctors office and ask some questions. It could well be a health issue.