PDA

View Full Version : Filming Your Hunts

OutWest
12-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Just wondering if you BC boys have tried filming any of your hunts. I bought an HD camcorder last summer and did a bit of filming this past season. I actually managed to get my elk hunt on film. It's something I've become more and more interested in. Next season I plan on trying to film every time I go out. I got a really nice tripod for my birthday so I should be good to go! Anyways, I'd love to hear what you guys have to say and if you have any tips or anything like that!

hunter1947
12-17-2009, 06:38 AM
I have filmed parts of our hunt and after one of us has put an animal down but I have never filmed the stock and putting down of an animal ,will have to do this in the years to come.

tomahawk
12-17-2009, 08:05 AM
I have a 4 minute video that I took in 1992 of me calling moose, my father-in-law shooting the bull moose at 11 yds in dense bush. It was cool at the time and is a great memory to look back on now for all the family.

I positioned myself over his left shoulder and back about 5 ft and as the moose came into 11 yds or for that matter at 25 yds when we first saw him I could not get my father-in-law in the video when he shot as the moose because it was so close.

deer nut
12-17-2009, 08:30 AM
I'm too focused on trying to actually hunt! I don't think I could film without a dedicated camera operator with me.

Mik
12-17-2009, 08:45 AM
I have filmed many hunts. It's pretty hard at first as you always tend to have the rifle "ready to shoot" and not the camera. I find that you must be prepared to let the animal get away, once you get past that mentality it gets quite easy to set up the camera then take the shot.

proguide66
12-17-2009, 09:05 AM
I have packed a cam on all my guided hunts as well my own hunts.Its SOOO hard to get the FULL hunt on film , meaning some prehunt footage/spoting/stalking/shot filmed over the shoulder of the hunter/recovery all on ONE hunt...have only pulled it off aq few times , seems ' SOMETHING' always seems to happen....dead battery...unexpected animal in front of you...too thick...fogged lens..
I went for the best and smallest camera possible...one that fits in my pocket or can hang off my neck in my jacket...also have the SAME fast conector on the camera as my spotting scope for the tripod......filming off a tripod makes the whole deal 100% better!!!!......one day I hope to put all my yrs of footage on a dvd , would be cool share with fellow enthusiasts!

Prowler
12-17-2009, 09:12 AM
My hunting partner and I have filmed several hunts together, and always have 1 guy designated as the camera man on hunts. We have some amazing mule deer hunts on film, spot, stalk, and kill. always a treat to watch. Sitka Spruce and I have his sheep kill on film, but when it was my turn to shoot, we didnt pass the camera over:( I to am planning on editing them all on to one awesome tape soon. I havent tried it solo though, and Im thinking thats what you are asking about, so will follow the thread for tips myself...

showtimebc
12-17-2009, 12:08 PM
tough to do it by yourself, especially if your hunting deer. things just happen way to fast!

best way to go about it is to have a desiganted film guy like Prowler mentioned. One guy can focus on the animal and if it is the correct one for him to harvest, while the other can focus on shooting a quality video!

I've filmed about 10 bear hunts or so in the spring, but haven't really tried it for anything else. Gonna look into small HD cameras for next year.

wighty
12-17-2009, 12:24 PM
how about those scope mounted cameras from cabelas???? or I was watching best of the west and there was a rifle mount that attached to a video camera.... makes the gun heavy and awkward probably but i like the idea of the push button on the bushnell scope cam.

GoatGuy
12-17-2009, 12:35 PM
got a video cam and never use it. Don't know what my problem is?

pete_k
12-17-2009, 12:40 PM
You guys should start posting this stuff on youtube. I'd love to see it.

Rock Doctor
12-17-2009, 12:52 PM
Here is a Bison Hunt that I filmed. I use a Headcam, works very well for guys that "solo" hunt as much as I do. The only real issue is that it has a wide angle view, so anything over 50yrs looks like it's a mile away. Archery hunting with it is fine. I've been meaning to redo this vid with more footage, and I can reload it at a higher quality, but just havn't had time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qrFDpRiZk

RD

todbartell
12-17-2009, 01:35 PM
I got a video camera in July, got some footage this fall. 2 elk kills, called in a nice moose, got a bit of blacktail footage of the buck on the ground. Will try to get some winter coyote calling action soon, but I need to find a light weight tripod

http://www.youtube.com/user/todbartell

bruin
12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Very cool vid RD! How does that camera store video?
I took a sony handicam with me through my guiding season last year. I was able to get 6 kills or so video (sheep and caribou) also howling in a wolf. I tried to get as much not kill stuff on vid as well but alot of the funny/interesting stuff is spontaneous and hard to capture.
Some of the footage will be on some of the american hunting shows this year. I am also going to try and edit it together into one dvd as there is alot of footage that won't mean much to anybody but me.
I would agree that it is very difficult to video your own hunt unless you're willing to let them walk.

Kody94
12-17-2009, 01:41 PM
I have lots of footage of many of my hunts since about '97. As PG66 says, its real difficult to be part of the hunt and get the whole thing on tape.

Over the years it also gets VERY frustrating being the only guy on your hunts that can/will run a camera. Everybody wants the video afterwards, so its much better if all members of the party at least make enough commitment to learn how to run a camera and take decent footage so that they can spell you off once in a while. The worst is when you partner up with folks for trips to Africa with an expectation that they'll do their part on the video'ing, and they show up with a clue how to turn the camera on but not much else.

BlacktailStalker
12-17-2009, 01:46 PM
I have lots of footage of many of my hunts since about '97. As PG66 says, its real difficult to be part of the hunt and get the whole thing on tape.

Over the years it also gets VERY frustrating being the only guy on your hunts that can/will run a camera. Everybody wants the video afterwards, so its much better if all members of the party at least make enough commitment to learn how to run a camera and take decent footage so that they can spell you off once in a while. The worst is when you partner up with folks for trips to Africa with an expectation that they'll do their part on the video'ing, and they show up with a clue how to turn the camera on but not much else.

Bingo!
Same with pictures. Most people suck at taking pics so they end up with tons of good pics of them and you get no good ones of yourself !

OutWest
12-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Wow I didn't realize so many guys have done filming of their actual hunts! We used to always shoot video around camp and once the animal was down or while I was having a snack or something at a nice spot. This year I really wanted to get some live hunting footage. I set the camera up just hoping to get some footage when the bull was coming down. I wasn't passing the bull up no matter what so whatever footage I actually got of him was a bonus. Everyone from our group enjoyed it so much we plan on doing more next year and trying to have someone designated on the camera.

Kody94
12-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Bingo!
Same with pictures. Most people suck at taking pics so they end up with tons of good pics of them and you get no good ones of yourself !

Amen brutha...that is the truth!!

leadpillproductions
12-17-2009, 04:29 PM
I started 3 years ago lots of fun , I have a cougar hunt showing on outdoor quest soon

whitetailsheds
12-17-2009, 04:54 PM
Was able to self video a wt buck kill out of a blind which made it easy. And got my largest elk (330) on film as well on my own. The prep for the elk was easy also due to having them respond before they came out of the heavy timber, and was able to get set up before the first one came out. First a spiker, 10 mins later a 5x5 to 7 yards, then the big guy 10 mins later.
To actually be stalking, in cover and tape self.....she's hard.
Done with a Sony 8mm handicam. Have heard there is attachments/ cables that will make video downloadable....anyone know of this? Appreciate any help if it's out there.

OutWest
12-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Are you asking if it's possible to download your video to the computer or to the site? I just plug my usb chord into my JVC HD camera and then into the computer and imovie starts downloading my videos right away. What's also nice about my camera is that I can upload it straight from there to youtube with the touch of a button without even putting it onto my computer.

That's awesome you got those kills on film. It's something that's really neat to look back on. Especially when you do it yourself.

Was able to self video a wt buck kill out of a blind which made it easy. And got my largest elk (330) on film as well on my own. The prep for the elk was easy also due to having them respond before they came out of the heavy timber, and was able to get set up before the first one came out. First a spiker, 10 mins later a 5x5 to 7 yards, then the big guy 10 mins later.
To actually be stalking, in cover and tape self.....she's hard.
Done with a Sony 8mm handicam. Have heard there is attachments/ cables that will make video downloadable....anyone know of this? Appreciate any help if it's out there.

peashooter
12-17-2009, 05:22 PM
where can i view your elk hunt NR.

Prowler
12-17-2009, 05:54 PM
I am also curiouse about uploading old 8mm handicam vids. remember these were before HD digi video cams, like 10 years ago. anybody know if this can be done?

BCbillies
12-17-2009, 06:05 PM
Have used the video for a few years now and now really like the new compact JVC with 40x optical zoom I got this year. Set it on the tripod and you don't need the spotting scope.

It's not very high end but easy to use and cheap to replace! :-D Have not used the camera on a solo hunt. Sure provides good entertainment back at camp and at home and allows us to relive the hunt whenever we get the urge. Managed footage this year for two grizz, sheep and a goat harvest.

Kody94
12-17-2009, 06:34 PM
I am also curiouse about uploading old 8mm handicam vids. remember these were before HD digi video cams, like 10 years ago. anybody know if this can be done?

I do it with an old Sony Digital 8 camcorder. I am sure there are other ways.

Kody94
12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Have used the video for a few years now and now really like the new compact JVC with 40x optical zoom I got this year. Set it on the tripod and you don't need the spotting scope.

It's not very high end but easy to use and cheap to replace!

I bought one of those too. They only had the red color at the time. When my wife saw it, she claimed it as her own. I got to use it for one sheep hunt. I liked it so much though, and they are so affordable, I bought myself another one for my b-day. Got the HD version for myself to see if its any better. Jury is still out.

OutWest
12-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I bought one of those too. They only had the red color at the time. When my wife saw it, she claimed it as her own. I got to use it for one sheep hunt. I liked it so much though, and they are so affordable, I bought myself another one for my b-day. Got the HD version for myself to see if its any better. Jury is still out.

Which JVC model are you using? I bought the JVC Everio HD in the summer and love it. Not the best in low light but for under $1 000 I can't complain. 60gb internal memory and 20x optical zoom.

whitetailsheds
12-17-2009, 06:59 PM

That's funny Prowler. I started videotaping with mine around '91 -'92. It's as if we're talking about the old wind up, black and white cameras.
But, yes, you nailed it on the head there....don't know if you can put on the computer!?!
I have thought about videotaping some of my material with a newer, digital video camera that one can download, but the quality will take a huge hit....too bad, I've got some pretty neat stuff from the last 20 years.
I'm sure there are some computer savy young un's on here....

ElkMasterC
12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Here is a Bison Hunt that I filmed. I use a Headcam, works very well for guys that "solo" hunt as much as I do.

RD

Is that the Samsung HeadCam?
How do you like it? What did you pay? What are the storage capabilities, etc etc
I've been looking at the VholdR lately.
I have the same problem with vids and pics, I'm the only one that wants to take quality ones.
No-one else ever seems to think of it, unless it's a "meat-Pole" shot.
I like live pics, tell the whole story, which is why i need a hands-free camera.

Kody94
12-17-2009, 07:29 PM
Which JVC model are you using? I bought the JVC Everio HD in the summer and love it. Not the best in low light but for under $1 000 I can't complain. 60gb internal memory and 20x optical zoom.

I got the same model, but went with the SDHC card version...even smaller and lighter! :) I've only used it a bit on a cat hunt, but it worked pretty good.

My wife took the JVC Everio (not HD) with 40x active zoom and 60GB HardDrive. I used it on a sheep hunt as I mentioned above, and it worked great! Got some real nice footage. Love the size of these cameras.

I don't have software that will edit HD video yet, but hope to remedy that for Christmas. :)

12-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Packed a video camer plus a Nikon F3 on dozens of backpack hunts, have a big collection of tapes.

Rock Doctor
12-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Very cool vid RD! How does that camera store video?
I took a sony handicam with me through my guiding season last year. I was able to get 6 kills or so video (sheep and caribou) also howling in a wolf. I tried to get as much not kill stuff on vid as well but alot of the funny/interesting stuff is spontaneous and hard to capture.
Some of the footage will be on some of the american hunting shows this year. I am also going to try and edit it together into one dvd as there is alot of footage that won't mean much to anybody but me.
I would agree that it is very difficult to video your own hunt unless you're willing to let them walk.

This was my old Samsung SCX-210L, it stores vid on SD cards. You get abut 1hr per 2 GB on the highest quality. Works well, and easy to use, but does not hold up. I managed to break a couple of them.

My new headcam (VIO POV1) has a really cool feature that you might be interested in. It has a "Loop" feature. What that means is that you can set a loop time (IE. 1min, 3min, 5min, ect) and leave the camera on all the time. If nothing happens that you want to save, you do nothing. The unsaved "Loops" are deleted automagically. At any time, if you do want to save something, you just hit the tag button. If the camera is just starting a new loop, it saves the last one and the new one. If the camera is just about to finish a loop, it saves that one and the next one. It uses regular AA batteries, so you don't have to worry about charging batteries in the field. It has different angle lenses, so you can pick your view. Will hold up to 8GB HDSD cards. Seems to be well made, waterproof (to 8-10ft). Also easy to use.

Is that the Samsung HeadCam?
How do you like it? What did you pay? What are the storage capabilities, etc etc
I've been looking at the VholdR lately.
I have the same problem with vids and pics, I'm the only one that wants to take quality ones.
No-one else ever seems to think of it, unless it's a "meat-Pole" shot.
I like live pics, tell the whole story, which is why i need a hands-free camera.

That was the Samsung, yes.
Did I like it. YES
Will they take the abuse that you will give it? NO, I broke 2 of them before I switched to a VIO POV1
Price? about $350-$400
Storage abilities? It works fine with a 4GB SD card (2hrs of footage), I never tried any larger cards in it.

fourbyfour
12-18-2009, 12:53 PM
A friend of mine was hunting spring bear and was video of a kill from start to last breath. you can see the arrow go right though the bear. it scores
21 7/16, he got the guy at Kent Outdoors from B&C to score it. I have lots of video of deer, bears but never with gun in hand . It`s fun to see what funny thing deer do. i have a canon fs100 and been very happy with it, but i do want to go HD for next year

Frango
12-18-2009, 01:09 PM
Considering two us are Professional Cinematographers and video guys and one is a pro producer .We have only shot maybe ten minutes of footage in ten years.I quess it's because we are on vacation,and who wants to work on vacation..