PDA

View Full Version : December 16th deer shed

Bighorn hunter
12-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Just got back from my deer spot and found this shed. Kinda early.68 and 5/8s. young deer, can't wait to see how he looks next year:-D
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/09_whitey1.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16837&size=big&cat=500)

Prowler
12-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Wow! That is very kool, probably not gonna find one fresher than that!!

kennyj
12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Nice find! Thats very early.Good way to start the shed season.
kenny

Bighorn hunter
12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
here he is during hunting season
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/SUNP0062.JPG (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16838&size=big&cat=500)

showtimebc
12-16-2009, 06:49 PM
wow nice buck! I didn't know they lost their horns this early.

Big7
12-16-2009, 07:50 PM
wow nice buck! I didn't know they lost their horns this early.
They usually don't! (hate to be a stickler but they are antlers not horns!!)

Shermdog
12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
How come you didnt shoot him this year? waiting for him to get bigger?

whitetailsheds
12-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Nice find Cam! Tis early.......get looking for the other side! Cameras still out? Be neat to get shots of him with single horn.

mark
12-16-2009, 08:15 PM
And so it begins! And I thought my shed count was done for the year???
The first shed I ever found was this time of year, I was a little kid, we were looking for a christmas tree!
It sure is early though, where abouts do you live???

gbear
12-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Nice find! It does seem early.

Bighorn hunter
12-16-2009, 08:49 PM
It sure is early though, where abouts do you live???

:-DPeace country buck:-D

BlacktailStalker
12-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Wow, never would have thought. Hope you find the other side.

Bighorn hunter
12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
How come you didnt shoot him this year? waiting for him to get bigger?

knew he was a young buck and will be bigger next year,,,plus I knew this guy was hanging around:mrgreen:
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/09_whitey.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16595&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=6053)

Marlin375
12-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Hey Bighorn, any guesses as to how cold it was when he dropped that antler... I have my own theory that an early cold snap will do it. I found a moose paddle a few years back in the first week of December when it dipped down to -20 overnight.

Jelvis
12-16-2009, 09:52 PM
Deer drop antlers in December in the mule deer and whitetails too.
Always have, always will -- December -- drops -- no different for hundred years -
Jelly do right --

rutting buck
12-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Cmon now boys we all know most ungulates drop in jan feb but like all creatures great and small there are those that go against mother nature like why do some give birth to their calves and fawns in april instead of june because some of the big boys rut early and some rut late there is an average but lets face it there are those that go against the grain like most of us .......... that means you!

Bighorn hunter
12-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Hey Bighorn, any guesses as to how cold it was when he dropped that antler... I have my own theory that an early cold snap will do it. I found a moose paddle a few years back in the first week of December when it dipped down to -20 overnight.

I think it was around minus 15 when he dropped, but it has been in the 30s the last few days.We have noticed the moose generaly drop earlier than the deer, quite often seeing moose in the november deer season with one or both antlers dropped.I think this deer may of had some help as there was another big buck in there today and I saw this one on my way out with just his right side still on

Jelvis
12-16-2009, 10:15 PM
No snow so you can see them better than usual down in the Nor, where theres usually over a foot at 2100 theres nothing.
Jel -- no snow like normal that's why aperson here will find them before the big March snows. jelvisparsleyproinformationclassifiedandreleasedby approvalIapprovethismessage.
In your area snowed early and more than normal then stopped so it settled and antlers stays on the top -- Bamm bam biggaloh

mark
12-16-2009, 10:29 PM
Always have, always will -- December -- drops -- no different for hundred years -
Jelly do right --

Whatcha smoking tonight Jel????
I think most would agree that a deer shed in Dec. is quite rare!
Jan and feb is when most hit the ground!
Still see the odd buck packing tine as late as march sometimes! :confused:

born2hunt
12-16-2009, 10:54 PM
Jelly do right --
Can you buy that stuff over the counter or do i need a dealer? cuz the shit your on is whack ! deer dont usually drop in Dec if they do it's very rare!

Jelvis
12-16-2009, 11:10 PM
That has been around for decades honestly, I dint wan to b leev it ither.
December is when these deer start dropping, that's why the season was shortened in BC from Jan back to the December 10th cuz that's when they drop and flop, could be an antlerless after that, Mr. Man, big bucks grow and drop first and some little ones keep a side on til March. Left side drops first most of the time.
For years this has happened talk to your local bio. Nothing new about the deer herds, they were, they are, and they will be the same.
They don't get loose and eventually drop off, they are on one day and can pop off the next. Poppoff russian fella studied it from Castlegarrr. Matey.
Jel -- photo periodism the amount of daylight penetrating the eyeballs of deer is what determines it not the frost tickling his tummy ok -- lol --
Jellydrop$

hunter1947
12-17-2009, 06:48 AM
Cam hats are a real good find for this time of the year ,what did you do knock the antler of its head with a bat :mrgreen: the buck that was carrying this shed will be a hog next year ,nice find.

Bighorn hunter
12-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Cam hats a real good find for this time of the year ,what did you do knock the antler of its head with a bat :mrgreen: the buck that was carrying this shed will be a hog next year ,nice find.

Ha ha you got me:), It was a bit of a tustle, but we came to an agreement that if I leave him alone he will drop the other side in a easily found spot:mrgreen:

Shed Hunter
12-17-2009, 09:06 PM
Nice to see. My first sighting was a white tail Dec. 22, antler dropped on one side. Last sighting was April 16.

Bearen 09
12-18-2009, 09:52 PM
Whatcha smoking tonight Jel????
I think most would agree that a deer shed in Dec. is quite rare!
Jan and feb is when most hit the ground!
Still see the odd buck packing tine as late as march sometimes! :confused:
Ya,ya,ya.ya :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen: