PDA

View Full Version : 41.5 inch dall

yukon john
12-16-2009, 03:46 PM
file:///C:/Users/DARYLF%7E1/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg Seems like we are all going stir crazy already this winter some of the threads in the last couple days are the worst I have seen and yet I keep checking on them, good to see the wolf trapping tread up. Thought I might dig into my pics and post a story hope you enjoy.

I guided this ram in early august of 08 it was the biggest I have ever gotten. The hunter arrived on july 30 and we headed to my secret valley on the 31st to be ready for the opener, the valley always held the bulk of the rams for the entire mountain range during the first 2 weeks of august. Opening day we were weathered in it sucked fog right down to the tent, next day was beautiful we did a man killer hike up the mountain behind camp. We spotted a band of rams going into a small drainage and work our way towards them. When we got to where they were I went ahead of my hunter 50 yards and found some of the rams the biggest one was 37'' but it looked young I turned around to get the hunter and surprise a yearling ram was right between us looking at me, I layed down, watched for ten minutes on my watch and barley breathed. Looked up and hes still there looking at me down again for another slow 10 minutes. Look up again hes gone go get the hunter and keep working along the ridge. We just get passed the young band, that doesnt know we are there and we spot another band with a old bruiser broomed on one side and pushing 40'' on the other side. They are 500 yards and across a deep ravine, no way to get close. There was no sense blowing them so we back off for another day. It was a long walk back in the midnight sun.
Next morning I went to get the horses and I see a band feeding down the valley towards camp. I camp on a crossing and have often had rams come sit right above camp waiting for me to leave so they can cross they dont seem to be scared because they came to me not the other way around, I also believe the horses help as the sheep can tell a prey animal from a predator. So I booked it back to camp and we stacked up the saddles for a rest. pulled a pack tarp over us in the willows and we waited 8 hours for them to feed down to us. Finally the rams were finally in range 350 yards but with the horses and tents they werent getting any closer.The first shot hit a little far back and they took off up the hill our ram was laging he stopped at 548yards it took 6 trys but we finally put him down.
My wife hiked up with us and carried my gear down while I packed the meat, cape and horns. (clients have enough to carry...) The ram was 41.5x41.25 it had honest 14'' bases.
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500//IMG_1281.jpg

12-16-2009, 03:51 PM
OMG !!

What a beauty of a ram, congrats to you !!

Not only great length but wide too, a fantastic trophy to grace the hunters' walls forever.

That is what I will likely never be able to afford. A dall Hunt.

Good on you.

CT

Hank Hunter
12-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Congrats beautiful ram. ( bet you didnt use open sites :mrgreen: )

leadpillproductions
12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
what a pig , one day ill hunt them

Ovis17
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Beauty ram........Love the width. Congrats!!!

yukon john
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
Congrats beautiful ram. ( bet you didnt use open sites :mrgreen: )
LOL no wiskey either, did have my pretty wife though

Darksith
12-16-2009, 04:00 PM
sweet ram.

I like how guides call the animals there's. My uncle does the same thing with fishing (hes a guide on the QCI) he claims to have the family records in all categories of fish, although he never personally hooked them, just drove the boat and everything else. Im not raggin on you, and I know you basically put them ontop of the animal, no disrespect, just reminded me of my uncle trying to take my 175lbs halibut family record from me.

yukon john
12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
sweet ram.

I like how guides call the animals there's. My uncle does the same thing with fishing (hes a guide on the QCI) he claims to have the family records in all categories of fish, although he never personally hooked them, just drove the boat and everything else. Im not raggin on you, and I know you basically put them ontop of the animal, no disrespect, just reminded me of my uncle trying to take my 175lbs halibut family record from me.
we do everything including loading the gun, dialing in the scope and putting the scope on the animal once you guide you know you dont have to pull the trigger for it to be your animal

Darksith
12-16-2009, 04:11 PM
we do everything including loading the gun, dialing in the scope and putting the scope on the animal once you guide you know you dont have to pull the trigger for it to be your animal

I know, like I said, no disrespect. But if you were hired by me, you wouldn't touch my gun let alone load it or mess with the scope! Its not yours unless its on your wall ;)

proguide66
12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
no shat!...I always say its like ' having someone pack yer gun and pull the trigger for you....they have to go home , we get to stay and get another one!!!' :wink:
Awesome ram you got there!!!:cool:

Mik
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Awesome ram, thanks for the pic and story. One day!

Hank Hunter
12-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Theres one on every thread

tomahawk
12-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Awesome ram

Prowler
12-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Damn....:icon_frowThats my dream ram. I guess I can cancel that of my list now too:icon_frow

kootenayelkslayer
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
You shouldn't be posting big ram pictures with sheep season so far away! What are you trying to do to us?? ;)
Nice ram!
Ps. I don't take of claim the hunters' rams, just happy to be a part of it.

stitch
12-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Man...things sure can get ugly in the off season. Every thread has a guy trying to tick someone off by being rude. Santa is not gonna like that...tsk...tsk

kennyj
12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Great story and an Awesome ram.Your hunter must have been pretty stoked. More please.
kenny

Crossfire
12-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Great Dall. Thanks for the pics.

bruin
12-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Beauty ram! High 160's, no? Nice pic setup too. It can be hard to watch those hard fought for animals get on the plane and leave at the end of the hunt. Luckily we can console ourselves by going out and getting another one!! And I agree with KES, those pics should be saved for June!:wink:

redcomet
12-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for this post!

Good stuff! Nice photo!

olharley guy
12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Howdy, yes- that is a beauty! Any more pictures of others? Later

whitetailsheds
12-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Great ram, nice photo...thanks for posting it!

Danimal
12-16-2009, 08:45 PM
I know, like I said, no disrespect. But if you were hired by me, you wouldn't touch my gun let alone load it or mess with the scope! Its not yours unless its on your wall ;)

Most big game hunters that are paying for a guide definately need a guide! without them the only sheep they would see would be the ones in the magazines. The fact that it isn't on the guides wall in my opinion doesn't mean that that animal isn't also the guides to say is his own, especially after the hours spent freezing their asses off, glassing bands of rams (or any other animal) sitting and waiting for as long, walking mountains and some of the worst brush just to find this animal for the hunter, setting him up for the perfect shot. Yeah, YukonJohn. This for sure is your ram, after what you guys endure you have all rights by me to claim it as your own.

mark
12-16-2009, 08:56 PM
That is a picture perfect looking ram!
I agree, the guide is the "hunter" hence you hunted and found it, its basically your ram....someone else pulls the trigger, wow thats hard!

kwasky
12-16-2009, 08:58 PM
Beauty ram!! Nice work

Rattler
12-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Wow, that is an awesome ram. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

ydouask
12-16-2009, 09:03 PM
Beautiful Ram YJ, thanks for sharing.

GoatGuy
12-16-2009, 09:35 PM
someone else pulls the trigger, wow thats hard!

Sometimes it is. :wink:

porcupine
12-16-2009, 10:16 PM
Beautiful ram. Have you another just like it for me?
________
marijuana card (http://medicalmarijuanacard.info)

Beaver Trap
12-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Great ram. I sure wuld like the chance to hunt dalls.

Lord of Gastown
12-17-2009, 12:11 AM
So let me get this straight.
The ram was gutshot at 350 yds, ran away, you went after him, and had a free-for-all at 550?
WTF?
Sometimes the end does not justify the means.
Respect the animal for ****s sakes.
How many have you lost?
Blah blah blah, congrats. Hope you got a nice tip.

bruin
12-17-2009, 12:28 AM
A wounded animal happens to everybody, its happened to me. We don't plan for it and we try to avoid it at all cost. But it does happen, so get off your horse! 350 yards is a makeable shot and sometimes people get excited, it happens. At least they were able to persue the ram and put him down.

ElkMasterC
12-17-2009, 12:34 AM
We don't plan for it and we try to avoid it at all cost.

I don't think that's accurate. If it was avoided, the client would not be told to take 350 yd shots. if you can't get close enough to take a one shot kill, then try harder. Grow a pair.
I don't take 350 yard gut shots, and I wouldn't hunt with anyone that would.
And I would certainly not condone 550 yard free for alls.
Nice pics, beautiful ram, but I agree with Gassy.

Lord of Gastown
12-17-2009, 12:45 AM
I know I'll catch hell for this, cuz I'm a noobie, but I just think animals should be killed right away, and people should get off THEIR high horse, thinking they can make 400 yd shots. We take lives. Show respect.

bridger
12-17-2009, 01:07 AM
great ram who do you guide for? i have been on three guided dall hunts two in the nwt and one in the yukon. great times each trip. two excellent guides one that needed some experience but fun none the less. have also been on many self guided sheep hunts in bc, but have to say having someone else do all the extra work with horses, camp etc is nice. I don't think a lot of hunters realize all the extra work it takes to be a good professional guide.

bridger
12-17-2009, 01:09 AM
I know I'll catch hell for this, cuz I'm a noobie, but I just think animals should be killed right away, and people should get off THEIR high horse, thinking they can make 400 yd shots. We take lives. Show respect.

Don't want to start and argument but making a one shot humane kill on a ram at 400 yds is not all that difficult.

Soup
12-17-2009, 02:28 AM
:shock: awesome ram... CONGRATS!

OutWest
12-17-2009, 03:37 AM
I'm a new member on here too so I'm sure I'll catch some flack for this but I'm far from an inexperienced hunter. As hunters, we owe it to the animal to make the quickest and cleanest kill possible. There are just too many variables that can happen when taking a long shot. Granted things can and do happen with close range shots but stories about wounded animals are exactly what fuels anti hunters and organizations. If the shot is too long and/or you're not prepared even at close range (see buck fever) then a shot should not be taken. It's not an easy decision when staring at the animal of a lifetime but you'll feel much worse knowing you've wounded it than making the tough choice not to shoot.

The important thing is they ended up putting the ram down for good. That's a great ram you have there, congratulations.

hunter1947
12-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Getting a ram like this one is for sure a dream come true for a hunter ,he will look http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif on your wall ,congrats on getting a dream Dall sheep of a life timehttp://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif.

rifleman
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
nice ram! he sure is wide. That is a trophy of a life time.

If you wanna hunt sheep, you better practice shooting out to 400yrds.

dutchie
12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
very nice ram!

I had to laugh that you started this thread toget away from the drama and there is always one!

Nice hunting!

Dutchie

Hombre
12-17-2009, 11:13 AM
Beauty Ram,some day I hope to be in a picture like yours.
As for the ethics of long range shooting,400 yd plus shots are doable
under the right conditions.Unfortunately doping wind , and steepness
of terrain is difficult and account for a lot of errors.

yukon john
12-17-2009, 09:40 PM
Wow didnt want any pissing contests on this thread but I guess they are unavoidable, for the record I have never lost a wounded animal while guiding second of all 300+ yard shots are common in sheep hunting. finally for all those who think I need to ''respect the animal'' , no one respects wild sheep then those of us who devote our lives to it. ( from the time the first shot hit till the time the ram died was under 2 minutes)

horshur
12-17-2009, 11:10 PM

A good friend of mine was once a sheep guide out atlin way...if you came with a 7mm magnum or a new rifle he wouldn't guide you...guess what..most people kissed his ass.

deeks1989
12-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Beautiful Sheep

boxhitch
12-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Great post, YJ, thanks
Nothing wrong with the hunt, --it happens
Nice backdrop, I bet the scenery was good too, as usual

Guides can't choose the client, can only work with what they get dealt. Many are very capable, and helpful. Welcome partners in any camp.
Most all come with magnums, and many are newer......

ufishifish2
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
A good friend of mine was once a sheep guide out atlin way...if you came with a 7mm magnum or a new rifle he wouldn't guide you...guess what..most people kissed his ass.

Gorgeous Dall. Yup, it's the guides accomplishment for sure. What's wrong with shooting sheep with a 7mm Magnum Horshur? Not trying to start an argument, just wondering. My Sako 7mm is my most accurate rifle, so that is what I would have taken. Am I wrong in doing so??

kootenayelkslayer
12-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Gorgeous Dall. Yup, it's the guides accomplishment for sure. What's wrong with shooting sheep with a 7mm Magnum Horshur? Not trying to start an argument, just wondering. My Sako 7mm is my most accurate rifle, so that is what I would have taken. Am I wrong in doing so??

There's nothing wrong with a 7mm Mag for sheep. It sounds like his friend is talking a little BS. If he wouldn't guide anyone with a 7mm mag or a new rifle I don't a imagine the outfitter would keep him on the payroll for too long!

Buck Skin
12-20-2009, 11:06 AM
congratz on the great ram

Rubicon500
12-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Beautiful ram, by the looks of it you had a awesome season guiding!! All the nay sayers about shooting 300 + yards, well just because you are not capable of hitting a barn door at that distance doesnt mean other people cant succesfully put something down.