PDA

View Full Version : guiding

3006pg
12-16-2009, 01:26 AM
if any of you guys are guides or have possibly guided before what would it take to get on with an outfitter here in bc?

bridger
12-16-2009, 03:37 AM
phone the goabc office and ask for a list of outfitters and start making phone calls. should have sucess that way.

yukon john
12-16-2009, 07:08 AM
you can also go on the goabc website and put up a general posting lots of guys pull there help from there. If you dont have any experience you will probably have to start as a wrangler, its just grunt work ,catching horses packing meat cutting fire wood etc but it gets you out there and gives you the knowledge to become a guide. You dont need any horse experience although it helps. Some of the best wranglers are totally green but you need lots of work ethic

boxhitch
12-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Used to be that the Western Producer paper was the go-to for adverts
Now the website is probably best,

If you want to rub elbows, check out the Northern Guides annual mtg and banquet

Recordram
12-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Contact anyone through the GOABC. You can also get a hold of the Collingwood Brothers (Reg) as I believe they run a school in the spring time through the college in Smithers. There are alot of outfitters looking to hire on good hands. Like most jobs you start at the bottom an work your way up.

3006pg
12-16-2009, 03:40 PM
thanks guys much appreciated :)

Darksith
12-16-2009, 03:41 PM
Wow, Im surprised that people think that it is just that easy. Maybe Im wrong, but I have 2 buddies that own their own guiding territories around Burns Lake. Neither would be hiring during these slow times. The outfitters that rely on US hunters are having tough times these days. The bigger more expensive hunts in the north of BC maybe a different story, but those are world famous and cost huge $$. Good luck if you don't know someone and want to get into guiding. If I were you the easiest thing I would guess would be to make contacts and do lots of visits.

Also being that you are so young, thats going to make it even harder. I have a buddy that has been told wtf do you know about hunting due to his age.

proguide66
12-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Apply for a wrangling job , send out as many letters as you can...hint , try to find out if the outfit has a plane !!:wink:...riding meat and hunters to the highway sucks ass!......things may be slow but wrangling jobs are always available....the environment and tasks at hand arent for everyone out there!.....if you have it in you to say " I CANT" or " I NEED HELP" DONT GO !!!!...lol....its a tough job....:mrgreen:
Also , ( speaking as an employer) if you REALLY want to work for an outfitter , pick a good one and bug the shit out of him.......phone him lots...email him..and do it again..tell them how muvh you want to work there and that you will do a great job.....no one hires someone who drops ONE note and is never heard from again.......well , hardly anyone anyway!!

also...be prepared to NOT make money!..lol ( work out your wages to hrs its around $3.00 pr hr..:razz:)

12-16-2009, 04:39 PM
do not ever work out a guides wage to the hour!
you dont do it to make money.
Well i didnt anyway (fishing)

leadpillproductions
12-16-2009, 04:50 PM
When i did it i just started emailing outfitters Got a few responses

3006pg
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
i dont even care about the money i just wanna get out there haha

Surrey Boy
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
The dairy farmer I work for does it for pride and passion. He's sitting on fifteen to twenty million dollars capital in land, quota, herd, machinery, and only pulls about $120 000 out of it per year. He works 12 hour days six days per week and couldn't ever go away for a week. It's hard to see his children go about with their union jobs making more than him for half the work with no interest in running his farm for him. What's worse is that his land is in ALR, his Jerseys are no longer a popular breed, prize winning though they are, and he will never be able to sell these at market value, but he can't sell the farm as a whole because it's too small an operation for multiple owners, and it can't be expanded because other than his 80 acres the neighbourhood is all luxury homes. He could get his land out of the ALR if he knew who to bribe in City Hall, but isn't willing to do that if he knew.

Some jobs are really for the hardcore love of it and should not be thought of as a way to get paid to do your hobby.

12-16-2009, 04:56 PM
I guided for two seasons after responding to an advertisment in the Western Producer. That was about 12 years ago or so. I loved guiding, and did soley backpack trips (mostly for goat), and didn't have to deal with horses much.
I highly recommend it as an incredible experience. You will meet some great people and a few not so great. You will not have to spend much time with the outfitter himself, which is good, because most of them are dicks to try and deal with.

I still keep in touch with some of my hunters today.

12-16-2009, 04:58 PM
i dont even care about the money i just wanna get out there haha

Do it, it will be the best years of your life.

Devilbear
12-16-2009, 05:21 PM
When I was a boy, I wanted to become either a "game warden" or a "forest ranger"; I was crippled at 14 by a drunk driver and told I must get a job as an office worker and that was that.

At 18, I passed the entry exams/personal qualifications check for the BCFS and also the F&WB. I worked for both of them, the Alberta Forest Service and then wanted to be a Coast Guard Lightkeeper and did that, too.

I was on both "permanent staff" and "auxiliary staff", by choice and then I wanted to own a bookstore and I did that and sold it when I wanted to move from my hometown. I also wanted, as a youth, to drive taxis and did that.....the point of this, is that you CAN do whatever you dammed well WANT TO, IF you TRY hard enough and NEVER give up!

I was well into my mid-40's when two different well known BC GOs asked me if I wanted a guide's job and while I have never cared for that, it shows that opportunity IS there, if you get off your azz and look for it.

The more that conventional people tell me that I cannot accomplish whatever I want to, the more motivated I become and I get what I want and do what I want and always have...being stubborn and trying again, if you fail at first WILL get you there.....good luck, hope you make it.

3006pg
12-16-2009, 05:23 PM
When I was a boy, I wanted to become either a "game warden" or a "forest ranger"; I was crippled at 14 by a drunk driver and told I must get a job as an office worker and that was that.

At 18, I passed the entry exams/personal qualifications check for the BCFS and also the F&WB. I worked for both of them, the Alberta Forest Service and then wanted to be a Coast Guard Lightkeeper and did that, too.

I was on both "permanent staff" and "auxiliary staff", by choice and then I wanted to own a bookstore and I did that and sold it when I wanted to move from my hometown. I also wanted, as a youth, to drive taxis and did that.....the point of this, is that you CAN do whatever you dammed well WANT TO, IF you TRY hard enough and NEVER give up!

I was well into my mid-40's when two different well known BC GOs asked me if I wanted a guide's job and while I have never cared for that, it shows that opportunity IS there, if you get off your azz and look for it.

The more that conventional people tell me that I cannot accomplish whatever I want to, the more motivated I become and I get what I want and do what I want and always have...being stubborn and trying again, if you fail at first WILL get you there.....good luck, hope you make it.
thanks man means alot to me :)

Lillypuff
12-16-2009, 05:48 PM
LOL I got a job guiding for Moose in Northern Alberta and had never even called in a Moose. Although I had shot a couple. Was lots of work but had a riot. DO IT WELL YOU CAN. If you get into a good area tips can be good

bruin
12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
you CAN do whatever you dammed well WANT TO, IF you TRY hard enough and NEVER give up!

Very true statement! The guiding industry is a tonne of fun to be in, you will meet some very interesting people (both good and bad, majority good) and if you look in the right places there are opportunities to do some amazing things. I had to make the same choice as you when I was about 17. I decided to jump in with both feet because honestly, when will you get the chance again in the rest of your life. You don't have responsibilities and people depending on you I assume(like a wife and kids). I have been guiding for 7 seasons now and I wouldn't trade a second for any of it. ...... Except for the night spent on the mountain in the rain. . . . . . and the time the grizz chased us . . . . and the time we lost the horses! You get the picture, its all an adventure!!
Yeah you gotta start at the bottom but if you like to work hard wrangling can be just as much fun as guiding. You get to do some really cool sh!t without the responsibility that the guide carries. One thing I can tell you is you will know pretty much right away if it is for you or not!
I would get started now before outfitters have hired their crew for next season, around spring it can be tough to find a place to work. Lots of the southern areas that don't specialize in a certain species are having difficulty selling hunts but many of the northern outfits are booked up. I would strongly reccomend you look in the Yukon and NWT as well.

Will
12-16-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd do it for sure but I'm pretty Old, half blind and probably couldn't find my ars in a snowstorm anyways......... :neutral:

But if your Young, full of Pi$$ and beans get out there and make it happen.......Most outfitters are looking for Young fellas that want to put in some effort, I guarantee it :wink:

Far too many young bucks out there that are too dam Lazy......Good Luck to ya ! :-D

CHEAM
12-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I sent letters and phoned around right after I got out of school and had no problem getting replies. I stayed at it for seven years and do not regret it one bit. GO's actually have a hard time finding reliable guides. Lots of experience is not always necessary as you you will be getting a crash course on it right away. Good luck with your search!

dukester
12-16-2009, 06:15 PM
come to Sask no horses to chase down, in the spring its bear, then you guide for fishing in the summer, then start up the baits for deer in the fall Nov you guiding deer hunters,, then you go on the UI ice fishing team. Pick your outfitter that has the whole deal. :mrgreen: check it out.

bruin
12-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Yeah, dealing with rotten baits and skinning garbage bears is great fun!;-)

yukon john
12-16-2009, 06:26 PM
not to mention being a taxi driver on a quad!

kootenayelkslayer
12-16-2009, 06:28 PM

I love that job...:roll: Any openings on the island this year?? ;)

Sitkaspruce
12-16-2009, 06:42 PM
Been doing it for 10+ years and love it!!!!

Best way to spend a month off of my Real Job:mrgreen:

I just looked at the outfitters that were in the areas I knew and sent them a letter. The first guy to contact me said it was because I said I was a good cook that he was offering me a job. Been there ever since.

It's a great job, but you have to be able to put up with the BS, the sometimes babysitting and the pi$$ed customer and do it with a smile. You can tell them to GFTS after the hunt and still do it with a smile.:-D

As others have said, check out the GOABC

Also Harry's got some on the Outfitters Conection page of his website.
http://www.harrymccowan.com/

As others have said, have a good outlook and attitude and you will spend some of the best days of your life doing what you love to do.

Speaking of Guide Jobs, does anyone want to hire a tired, buggered knee's, grumpy old ******* with 15+ years experience. If so let me know.......

Cheers

SS

Iltasyuko
12-16-2009, 07:41 PM
When I was looking for a summer fly fishing guiding job while in University I mailed letters to all the lodges I was interested in and got hired by the one I wanted most. The industry has lots of characters both owners and clients and lots of great people also, employees and clients. You will get the chance to be flown into places people pay lots of money to visit and you are getting paid for it which is a bonus. You definitely need to be a people person and know how to keep a firm hand on your guests in a wilderness setting without coming across as controlling. You are responsible for their safety first and foremost in places where a small accident can become serious fast. Lots of outfitters hire not just on experience but on their gut feeling about your drive and ability to think and make decisions which will provide clients with a safe and enjoyable trip. You will gain experience with things you may never have even thought about beyond the obvious guiding - running a portable sawmill, building log cabins and selling vacations at shows in places like Las Vegas in the off season. If you enjoy dealing with people, are keen and can use your head start applying now! If you are able to visit a show and stop by booths to show them yourself in person rather than just by email or letter - all the better.

model88
12-17-2009, 08:50 PM
I did it for 10 years and wished that I would have started at a younger age lol...like others have posted, you will probably have to start out as a wrangler and work your way up, but thats a good way to learn the country and the horses. I met a lot of great people over the years, experienced alot of adventures and have no regrets at all for doing it. You wont get rich, the hours are long, but the rewards are many.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-17-2009, 11:41 PM
is 34 to old to give it a try? it has been a dream of mine to guide!! just cant get enough hunting!! but can i pay the bills doing what i love??

yukon john
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
Guy I worked with this year started after 35 years at the quesnel post office, all you need is lotsa heart.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-17-2009, 11:55 PM
well i have worked hard all my life, live in the north "pink mt" and never want to leave!! just got to pay the bills..would love the life working in the mountains.

bridger
12-18-2009, 04:33 AM
i think being a sheep guide where you actually get to go hunting everday would be more fun, but less profitable than being the outfitter that seldom gets do to the actual hunt. lots of guys in the peace will guide one or two hunts a fall on their holidays from their regular job.

boxhitch
12-18-2009, 04:53 AM
will guide one or two hunts a fall on their holidays from their regular job.
great way to get a no-cost holiday.
Have seen folks actually volunteer to wrangle and cut trails for the chance to get into the mountains.

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-18-2009, 06:46 AM
so it is not going to pay the bills but you can guide a hunt or two a year and make a little bit for your time sounds good!!

Sitkaspruce
12-18-2009, 10:52 AM
is 34 to old to give it a try? it has been a dream of mine to guide!! just cant get enough hunting!! but can i pay the bills doing what i love??

I am 44 now and have been doing it for 10+ years hunting and a few more salmon fishing There is lots of jobs out there for us slower guides:mrgreen:.

I do it on my holidays and it becomes a nice little bonus to feed the rest of my hunting season....but pay the bills? it would be hard as it is such a short season. You would have to be willing to start in the spring with bears, then go to the NWT for their early season, which starts on July 01 for sheep. Then move back down here for the moose/deer/elk season to finish off the year. Lots of travel and expenses. Plus no family life.

Get a real job and do this for fun. That way, if there is no more GO's to work for then you still have areal job.

Cheers

SS

sheep.elk.moose fanatic
12-19-2009, 06:19 PM
thanks sitkaspruce, for the info makes me feel better knowing that it could happen if you set you work up properly, and given where i live it might work....

jaywill
12-19-2009, 07:25 PM
im sure its been said already , but lots of guides usually want a packer or wrangler, good way to get in .