PDA

View Full Version : Uncle Billie

hotload
12-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I wanted something to blood scent for me and maybe hunt antler sheds in the spring. I wanted something serious and focused. I wanted something obedient,confident and disciplined. Now, does this look serious,focused, obedient,confident and disciplined to you. Oh well, I suppose it is what ya make it. Anyway she's an Australian Cattle Dog our newest addition,and our present to ourselves for Xmas. We have wanted one for a long time.

FELIZ NAVIDAD

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_1540.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_1532.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_1562.jpg

http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_1552.jpg

Brambles
12-15-2009, 10:47 PM
They make good pets as long as you get their bad habits out of them early. As far as blood scent and pick up antlers. Mine wouldn't be bothered to do that, its beneth him.....I can't take him hunting cause he'll scare everything away, once he spots something moving he starts whinning and barking wanting to give chase.

Great family man though, loves to ride on the quad, help plow snow. Good with kids. Not bad with other dogs if they are properly introduced and socialized. Doesn't mind cats at all either. When he knows when he's done something wrong he puts himself downstairs:lol:

Constantly following you around can get annoying.

They are very smart but sometimes he'll do something and you'll wonder how such a smart dog can be soooooo stupid.

Looks like you got a nice little girl there. Who was the breeder?

d6dan
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
She sure is a sweety:-D Those dogs are supposed to be a good working dog..
Love the first pic and last one:wink:..thanks for posting the pics..

Brambles
12-15-2009, 10:49 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0399.jpg

Will
12-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Looks like a nice Pup, Enjoy !
I love our Aussie Shep...a handfull for sure:wink:

hotload
12-15-2009, 11:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/Brambles77/IMG_0399.jpg

If mine turned out to look something like that I would be happy. I love the silver tipped black fur. How old is yours? Did you have any problems training?

sawmill
12-16-2009, 12:00 AM
Great looking pup!Mine is a heelerxshepardx rottie,looks just like a big blue shepard with big shoulders.Great dog,easy to train and a heart as big as all outdoors.He`ll fetch sticks from the lake until he almost drowns :mrgreen:I actually had to jump in the river once to save him.I didn`t know I could swim untill then.I love the last photo.

Brambles
12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
If mine turned out to look something like that I would be happy. I love the silver tipped black fur. How old is yours? Did you have any problems training?

He's 9 years old. No real issues with training, he's not an agility dog or anything, just a pet. He knows the basics.

He gets in the garbage every once and a while, then he puts himself downstairs:lol:

The breed is usually suspicious of strangers, protective of their food, they like to heel their people. They can be snappers too.

so good socializing is required with people, kids, cats, and other dogs.

I always took my dogs food away from him halfway through and then gave it back, always stuck my hands in his food dish when he was eating when he was young.

I always pulled on his ears and tail, tried to push him over when he wasn't expecting it just to make him tolerant of people and children.

The only way to get rid of the heeling habit is to kick em. Not to sound mean. They usually do it when going up stairs, a sharp back kick followed by the usual NO, BAD DOG. It won't take too many of them to teach the lesson. They are heelers and are breed to dodge cattle kicks, they won't take it personally. You will feel her teeth on your achilles tendon:mrgreen:

Have fun, they are great and i"m know they are capable of more then my dog can do, but he's just a family member, he loves to cuddle and watch tv, loves to hang around with his people no matter what they are doing.

Dannybuoy
12-16-2009, 04:06 PM
If mine turned out to look something like that I would be happy.
Yah right now it looks alot like you !:wink: at least the way it lounges :):)
Nice pup ! If you havent trained many pups ... I highly recomend obedience classes to teach you how to teach her . I think this breed would require dicipline and at a early age as not to let any bad or unwanted habits develop .

pete_k
12-16-2009, 04:13 PM
They supposed to be cock-eyed like that when they're little?
Or is that just a camera thing?
Very cute little critter you got there.
Shed hunting dog sounds awsome.

bighornbob
12-16-2009, 04:29 PM
but he's just a family member, he loves to cuddle and watch tv, loves to hang around with his people no matter what they are doing.

Sure you are not talking about Angry Bob:mrgreen:

BHB

hotload
12-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Yah right now it looks alot like you !:wink: at least the way it lounges :):)
Nice pup ! If you havent trained many pups ... I highly recomend obedience classes to teach you how to teach her . I think this breed would require dicipline and at a early age as not to let any bad or unwanted habits develop .

Danny I have owned dogs all my life, and young ones like this little guy. They were all trained as good as I needed them to be. This pup is more different than any of the dogs I have owned in the past. Different in many mental ways. It seems to be very head strong but senstive as well. I have taken her already on vigorous uphill obstacle laden hikes and she has worked out all the tasks by herself without my help, and I can see she feels very good about that. I have come to see she is as tough as nails which is quite different than some of the outdoor breeds I have owned in the past . I have already taught her a fair amount. I find it amazing what she comprehends and just as amazed at what she doesn't. I suppose everything will be a time thing. This dog seems to need a firm consistent calm leader and compounded with a lot of love. I think what a dog like this learns at an early stage she would take into adulthood. That would be good and bad and I am working on the bad.

Brambles
12-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Sure you are not talking about Angry Bob:mrgreen:

BHB

Yeah A-Bob is BIG into cuddling:shock:

bruin
12-16-2009, 06:10 PM
http://i420.photobucket.com/albums/pp282/hotload12/IMG_1540.jpg

Looks like a real killer!!!

bowhunterbruce
12-16-2009, 08:02 PM
she is gonna be one ball of fun dude,i cant wait to see her and the hounds haveing fun hunting and trackin together.and toni says she is way tooooooooooooo cute to be yours,so if dogs resemble thier owners she has to be barbs lol:)

Lots'oLabs
12-16-2009, 08:30 PM
Omigosh! She is just way too cute!!

Mooseman
12-17-2009, 12:26 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like she stole your heart already. :mrgreen:

Kasomor
12-17-2009, 02:23 AM
This pup has sent the dial on the SUPER CUTE gage right off the meter!

Enjoy!

Kasomor

gmcgilli66
12-23-2009, 07:58 PM
She'll need to be kept busy. Great lookin' pup! (Seems fairly relaxed?? ;)

Everett
12-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Sweet looking pup hope our litter in January has a couple that look like that. Heelers are like no other breed i have run across and can be trained to do pretty much anything as long as you start when they are real young I personally believe in fostering them at 6 weeks. Start training at 10 weeks ours retrieve upland birds and come on fly in hunts. But if you stick your hand in my truck window they will rip it off.

spear
12-25-2009, 03:30 PM
We have a four month old Heeler (Finn)
We started training him young and we're amazed how smart he is : sit, stay, down, come, leave it, stop, heel
all doing very well. I agree with brambles about the nipping, just give her a lil kick, like you said they are tough as nails and like to chase, ours killed a baby hawk this morning and a seagull at 3 mnths old. Have Fun!