PDA

View Full Version : goose,grouse and ducks

curly_fishr
12-14-2009, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know if you can get salmonella poisoning from under cooking your game birds. I have been cooking them all to well done but the end up some what chewy or is this just the way the meat is? I have cooked them in stews, stroganoff and breaded but all a little tough.

Crazy_Farmer
12-14-2009, 09:28 PM
You gotta cook it alittle like beef. If its cooked right through, it can be chewy but a nice slight pink colour just like a perfect steak in the middle is whats best. You can cook the breast meat the same as a steak, you wouldnt cook your steak well done, and it'll be the same, tough, so a nice medium-rare is perfect.

curly_fishr
12-15-2009, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the info, I will try it out.

300win
12-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know if you can get salmonella poisoning from under cooking your game birds. I have been cooking them all to well done but the end up some what chewy or is this just the way the meat is? I have cooked them in stews, stroganoff and breaded but all a little tough.

Yes you can!!!!!! If you are worried about the birds being dry,just add a little bit of olive oil to the pan and your favorite spice(s) cook on med. heat until brown all the way through(slow and steady,don't flash cook). If you are cooking a full duck or goose leave the skin on (pluck the bird) and tooth pick bacon around it. When there is enough juices around the bird baste often, its like cooking a turkey. I believe you need 170F:confused: to kill salmonella(a cooking thermometer put inside the bird will do). If you are adding the meat to stews, breading them etc. just follow the above!!!!!!!! We make grouse nuggetts all the time, with a good splash of olive oil and a little jerk spice OH man what a treat. :-D:-D:-D:-D