PDA

View Full Version : which bow to buy?

Brian011
12-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I am thinking about buying a new bow and since i've had the same bow for quite a while i'm not very familiar with many of the new high class bows. What kind of bow does everyone prefer and why? What dont you like about certain bows? So far, one good bow that i've heard of is the alpha max or the maxxis from hoyt. what areyour opinions about that?

Ciskman
12-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I shoot a Fred Bear Truth 2. Its my second bow. When I bought it I had tried a few different ones. Your best bet would be to hit a bow shop and try some out. How much are you looking to spend?

Brian011
12-14-2009, 06:11 PM
well it depends, i want one thats going to last me a long time and i might be able to get some help in buying it as well (grad/birthday), so i might be able to spend a bit on one. i'm guessing a good top of the line bow ranges $1000-1500? And yah ciskman you are right i want to go to a bow shop and hopefully shoot a couple first. anyone know of any bow shops in the interior? from williams lake to the okanogan?

born2hunt
12-14-2009, 08:58 PM
wow i had the priveledge to shoot the new 2010 hoyt at buckys on friday :) what an amazing bow at 1100.00 $ I truley am thinking of buying it.

Lee
12-14-2009, 10:32 PM
Extreme Archery in Kelowna is the place to go if you are looking at a Hoyt or Mathews bow. The guy that runs the shop is pretty pro about things, will set you up right. That's not a biased opinion either. I've heard from other people about the customer service and from the stop in I made I was pretty happy walking out.

That being said, I didn't buy a bow from him. Didn't have 1k to spend on a bow then spend extra to outfit for field. Wish I did, but I'm not crying about it. I did however spend just over a g note and picked up the PSE Bow Madness. Field ready and it was a cinch to set up. Spent an hour tonight sighting it in and tuning it. Probably need a bit more, but after an hour of shooting I was getting fatigued. The pins were almost prefectly ranged for 10 yard increments. I have 60# limbs, but I'm down to about 53 till I "grow" into them. Draw length and letoff were easy to adjust as well. All in all I'm pretty damn happy with it, now the Browning can go back to the brother in law to collect some dust ;)

edit:Should mention that I picked up that package from Westside Sporting Goods in Salmon Arm. Their bow tech helped get me on track, and turned on to the local archery club!

hardnocks
12-14-2009, 10:35 PM
do you like it ryan ...hopefully you will grow into it

hunter69
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
I've just got back into it after almost 15 years, and have found my new Bowtech Iceman really easy to get the addiction going again. Super smooth and Super quiet, but with me not shooting the progressively better bows over recent years, I am only comparing to an old dinosaur PSE that I used to shoot.

I used to shoot fingers but now with a release it is night and day as well, and the speed is unreal.

Good luck.

huntwriter
12-14-2009, 11:44 PM
...what an amazing bow at 1100.00 $ I truley am thinking of buying it.

At that price I expect a bow to do much more than just kill a deer. If I would spend that type of money the bow would have to gut and drag the deer back to the truck too.:-D

I have my bow for over ten years and it does everything I ask of it and it can do anything a modern bow can do. Which is to kill a deer.

Lee
12-15-2009, 01:10 AM
Arrows come with winch cabling attached, modern broadheads have grapples on the underside of the bleeders for added grab during the drag back. You still have to dress the animal out tho, such a pity. Ahhhh, modern technology....

Just pokin the ribs ;)

Rock or rocket, use whats comfortable (and legal). Keep the kill clean and harvest away.

hardnocks
12-15-2009, 01:26 AM
I wouldn`t buy a bottom or starter bow or a top of the line , I would get a middle of the road bow like lee . a bowmaddnes. or a magnesiam riser hoyt . a good shooter that will last a while . really its not the bow its the indian .

12-15-2009, 10:22 AM
I've heard a lot of good things about Bowmadness. PSE is a great company. My first bow was a PSE Stinger, a great bow for the money, and seemed really smooth....until I got my current bow - an APA Viper -a bow that defines smooth.

xtremearchery
12-15-2009, 03:09 PM
Pse X-force Is What I Shoot. I Usually Switch Bows Every Year But This Last Bow Is A Keeper. If I Was To Buy A Bow This Very Moment It Would Either Be The X-force Axe-7 Or The Bow Madness Xl. Both Of These Bows Are Versatile. Great For Both Target Or Hunting.

eastkoothunter
12-15-2009, 03:25 PM
IMO, Hoyt is the best bow that I've come across, that is if you want to spend a little more money. Its definately worth it, cause the new technology allows them to be used for ever. Another thing is shoot a few different bows, you might get more of a preference that way as well. Good luck in the search.

hardnocks
12-15-2009, 09:53 PM
i get to shoot a lot of bows ! i fall in love with almost every new bow i shoot . except a mathews i just don`t like them . right now i shoot a xforce gx for a 6 inch brace its an ahsome bow. thing is i don`t think right now theirs a bad bow out their . 2010 hoyts and mathews went up in price pse`s price came down.

sugar
12-15-2009, 10:24 PM
I am in the same situation as you and have decided on a Hoyt Vantage Pro. I have a good friend and mentor who has pointed me in this direction (he is also a shooter for Hoyt...).

Someone else on here also told me this- if you buy a cheap bow and hate archery, you are stuck with a cheap bow that nobody will buy. If you buy a cheap bow and love it, now you are going to want to buy a better one.

If you buy a good bow and hate archery, it will hold its value better and be an easy sell. If you buy a good bow and love it you are set.

I am going with the Vantage Pro for the fact that with it you can shoot traditional, fingers and release. Not to mention how quiet it is and having looked at some of them, they are simply functioning pieces of art. Very nice bows.

Maverick7
12-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Does Lee participate on this site. man his vidoes make me laugh. hes the best there is.

I wouldn`t buy a bottom or starter bow or a top of the line , I would get a middle of the road bow like lee . a bowmaddnes. or a magnesiam riser hoyt . a good shooter that will last a while . really its not the bow its the indian .

Ambush
12-15-2009, 11:00 PM
Bows are like women. The odd guy finds the perfect match on the first date. Most of us have to spend time with quite a few.

Most folks will tell you that whatever they are shooting is the best. And it might be, for them. I know few people who simply can't get used to a particular bow.

I would expect a Hoyt/Mathews/PSE/etc shooter to tell me to buy what they shoot. But, if one brand really was so much superior, there would only be one brand left. I've owned the major brands.

I have a Mathews Drenilan for the last two years and I really like it.
I just recently set up a Diamond Black Ice for my 27 year old son. Now that bow really impressed me. Light, smooth and easy to shoot. It set up in less than an half an hour.

Don't get too hung up on all the hype. There are plenty of middle-of-the-road bows that will work better than fine.

I would stay away from package deals as the accessories are usualy low end to keep the price down. If you become serious, you'll have to up-grade soon anyway.

I would buy a top notch sight, rest, and release right from the start.

You can probably buy any one of ten different bows and bring it home and learn to shoot it well, IF IT FITS YOU.

Don't over bow yourself.
Don't get hooked on speed.
Don't let a salesman talk you into a bow that doesn't feel right.
Remember, just because someone is selling you a bow, doen't mean he knows what he's talking about.

Good luck and happy shopping.