PDA

View Full Version : Good Value Binoculars - Need some ideas.

Jerry D
12-14-2009, 02:41 PM
I'm getting my brother a pair of binoculars.

I know he wants something smaller and more compact than traditional bino's - 35mm objective lenses and smaller. Weight/size are important factors. 7 or 8x magnification.

He is a member of the Canadian Armed Forces and will be using them in the field. Durability/waterproof/shock proof is a must.

Also he wear's glasses. Are all binoculars compatible with glasses?

Please provide recommendations and what to avoid. I know quality optics don't come cheap. If anything good fits in the price range of 3-400 that would be ideal but I'm willing to spend more if I should as I don't want him to have any issues with them.

I'm looking currently at the compact Bushnell Elite 2, and the Leupold compact Mesa or Rogue series or the Olympic compact dual hinge style.

Any other ideas or suggestions? Thanks a lot.

Bow Walker
12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
http://www.grouseriver.com/Binoculars_s/34.htm

Pay special attention to the Vortex line.........

Everett
12-14-2009, 04:24 PM
The question I have is your brother going to be operational while he using these binos for example Afganistan. If thats the case leupold gold rings is about the lowest quality I would be going if it was my bother. As the Brother of a serving member and a former member I will state that military usage of things like binos destroys low quality kit. If its just for use training in Canada buy a pair of cheap leupolds or a pair of vortex's will be fine because his life may not depend on them.

Jerry D
12-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Right now hes doing training but is almost done. Hes an officer with the combat engineers.

As far as I know - he's never seen or heard of issued binoculars? Does the military issue any type of optics beside that their scope on the c7?

Also looking at the Steiner Marine/Military series.

Everett
12-15-2009, 05:23 PM
They do issue binoculars to those that need them. Unless things have changed they are usualy beat to crap. Steiners would be a good choice.

dutchie
12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I am a huge fan of vortex optics period.

But i have the Leupold Mojave binos. I bought them off Ebay for $285USD and they sell for about $550 in the stores. I would check them out aswell.

Dutchie

MikeH
12-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Bino's in the forces are fine,just too big for patrolling,need to be small but deadly clear, more for tower watching and using with indirect fire.I like the vortex killer bino's pricey!.spend what you will,would be a great gift for tour:mrgreen:the C79 scope is fine enough to scan for threats,plus all fighting vehicles have optics.:twisted: Why does he want bino's?

MuleyStalker
12-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Nikon Monarch 8x36. I own the 10x42 and have no problems with them whatsoever. They are relatively light, clear, shockproof/fogproof/waterproof and come with a lifetime warranty. I did a lot of research before I bought my binos and they are the best bang for your buck.