PDA

View Full Version : Bison Access Issues

eaglesj
12-14-2009, 09:30 AM
I have read a lot on this website about the controversy of the Natives in zone A charging people to access their land to get to hunting land. However, I just got back from zone B, and was not given permission to use the only river crossing that people knew about to get to the south side of the hunting grounds. While we were there, the south side was the only area that people were seeing bison (except for two lone cows which were both used to cut tags).

Has anybody else been denied access by the Hammett's to cross the river, or did we just have bad luck?

bighornbob
12-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Like Bridger said there is another crossing downstream of ranch. Another thing to note is the ranch also has private property on the other side of the river. So the fields that people may be seeing bison in may also be ranch property.

BHB

bridger
12-14-2009, 11:16 AM
I appreciate your frustration. bison tags are hard to come by. the hammetts are usually pretty co operative with resident hunters. were you asking to cross on their private land? there is another crossing downstream about a mile or so that is on crown land that would get you across to the south side if you had sleds. you can also access that area from zone a if you have sleds.

tomahawk
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Hammetts crossing is also not a designated route and thus would be for snowmobiles only unless his trolly system is working these days so you could hand bomb your way across. We crossed the river downstream from his place and at the time so were his guests which is near the designated route to Marion Lake.

bridger
12-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Hammetts crossing is also not a designated route and thus would be for snowmobiles only unless his trolly system is working these days so you could hand bomb your way across. We crossed the river downstream from his place and at the time so were his guests which is near the designated route to Marion Lake.

was the river frozen over on the marion lake access?

tomahawk
12-14-2009, 12:45 PM
was the river frozen over on the marion lake access?

Not when we were there for the Nov 20th draw. We used the last right hand side trail off the north side of the river designated trail and wound our way down towards Mike's place and crossed between the Marion Rd and his place. It was heavily used till about Nov 22nd when the river came over the ice with about 4" of water and had to refreeze overnight and then everyone was back at er! The crossing at Marion Lake road was partly open then.

bridger
12-14-2009, 03:41 PM
thanks i tried to cross the river at the marion lake crossing once when it was open. made the first 15 feet or so. lol

bighornbob
12-14-2009, 03:56 PM
thanks i tried to cross the river at the marion lake crossing once when it was open. made the first 15 feet or so. lol

Even if you use the one just upstream of the Marion crossing it gets pretty deep. I crossed when it was open and made it in the morning. On my return there was a lot snow floating down the river making it tough to see where it was shallower. I chose a route and when the water got close to the gas tank, I just pinned it. Luckily I made it.

One thing I did not take into consideration with the open water crossing, regardless of how deep the water is, all that water freezes to your machine in the below zero temps. I stopped to look at something on my machine and the whole front was a block of ice. There would be no chance to use your winch when everything is frozen in 2 inches of ice.

Lucky I did not need it.

BHB

eaglesj
12-14-2009, 06:16 PM
We tried to find another crossing, but were unable to. We thought we tried every trail, but maybe not. The river was built up with ice about 3-4 feet higher than the water. Also, seeing it was my first time sledding, I was not about to try an open water crossing even if there was an area to get down to the water.

bighornbob
12-14-2009, 10:38 PM
We tried to find another crossing, but were unable to. We thought we tried every trail, but maybe not. The river was built up with ice about 3-4 feet higher than the water. Also, seeing it was my first time sledding, I was not about to try an open water crossing even if there was an area to get down to the water.

If you are on a sled then you have to wait for it to freeze up. If that happens in one spot I am sure it will happen in a few. The crossings we are talking about are for if you are using a quad. The marion crossing is about 3 feet deep and the one upstream that everyone uses (if they know) is about 2 feet deep. But like I said that is with quads.

BHB

tomahawk
12-14-2009, 11:55 PM

Apparently there were several quads that tried in the first few draws this year and the water was a bit too deep like it was for you.

bridger
12-15-2009, 05:21 AM
uh I tried it on a skidoo!