PDA

View Full Version : Looking for picture of grizzly shot w/ .22

Jager
02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
I'm looking for an old picture and article of a grizzly shot by a lady named Bella Twin from Alberta. I think it was in the 50's and the story was that she was out berry picking and ended up shooting a record book grizz with just a .22

I've done some google searches and found some bits and pieces of the story but I remember seeing a picture of her holding her gun while sitting in front of the grizz hide....it was impressive. Please help me find that picture.

Rob
02-01-2006, 10:42 PM
I remember that photo...see if i can find something as well.

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 10:44 PM
www.albertaoutdoorsmen.org/record-twin-grizzly.htm (http://www.albertaoutdoorsmen.org/record-twin-grizzly.htm) jager i found this using dogpile, it uses google and other search engines, and is a lot faster.

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 10:49 PM
Are you guys serious about taking a girzzly out with a .22. That must be a damn good shot! :)

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 10:54 PM
www.brassmonkeyproductions.com/grizzly/Part3.html (http://www.brassmonkeyproductions.com/grizzly/Part3.html) jager this one is better

CanAm500
02-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Thats very interesting! :D

02-01-2006, 11:00 PM
good one ruger............l had seen it before too, but no luck finding it!

ruger#1
02-01-2006, 11:02 PM
i had to pucnh in , alberta grizzly bear bella. it wouldnt work with, bella twin.

Jager
02-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks Ruger#1....that's the one I was after. Her posing with her "peashooter". It just goes to show never underestimate the potential of the lowly .22

DeerSniper
02-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I remember reading that story a long time ago when I was a kid. Yeah, the .22 did the trick, but it sure took a hell of alot of rounds to do it. Can't remember the number exactly, but I do remember that it was a shocking amount.

Johnnybear
02-04-2006, 07:33 PM
That's a great picture. I had heard of her before but never seen the picture. Thanks Ruger.

3kills
02-04-2006, 11:39 PM
if i remember correctly she put on in its eye and it went down and then she put i think like 3 more in it just to be safe...

3kills
02-04-2006, 11:50 PM
here is pretty much the story i hear years ago only difference in it is that i first read she hit him in the eye...

Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble. But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. Which only goes to show that in an emergency, strange things are possible, but who wants that kind of emergency?

brooksy
02-05-2006, 04:41 PM
if you ever get the chance...read a book called Crazy mans creek...its a compilation of stories from old trappers from the turn of the century...i believe there are a few stories about trappers having to shoot griz with 22s. it is pretty cool to think that thos little pea shooters could drop a griz in its tracks!

gary murray
05-02-2009, 05:58 PM
I have an old B.C. Outdoors issue kicking around. It has a picture of Bellas grandson holding the skull of the record grizzly and a picture of Bella. I believe the skull is on display up in Slave Lake. I'll see if i can dig up the issue to give you more info.

Gary

Caveman
05-02-2009, 06:28 PM
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c247/cavemn94/GRIZLEY2.jpg

“Grizzly Guns” by H. V. Stent

If you are planning a grizzly hunt or only dreaming of one, a big question is which rifle to use.

On that fascinating subject, I’ve been amassing information for some 40 years of living as a teacher, fruit grower and hunter in that bear paradise, British Columbia, where stories of encounters with grizzlies and brown bears are enjoyed where ever sportsmen gather and are often headlined in newspapers and television newscasts.

Such meetings sometimes result in a mauled man or shot bear, or both. A recent one ended with both man and bear dead.

Rolf Voss of Surrey, British Columbia, had shot a caribou near Fort Nelson, in the north-central part of the province, and was carrying parts of the carcass back to his camp in wooded mountain country when a grizzly, perhaps smelling the meat, attacked him. Voss got off two shots with his .270 that proved fatal to the bear, but the grizzly bit Voss about the head – they usually go for the head – and killed him. The two bodies were found side by side.

This is no reflection on the .270. That cartridge has killed many grizzlies and browns. In 1985, a fine 27-incher (total skull measurement) fell to a .270 in the hands of Roger Pentecost of Peachland, BC. In 1986, another record-class grizzly was killed by Alvars Barkis of Sinking Spring, Pennsylvania, with a .300 Magnum; and a medium-size one, about 500 pounds, was killed by 12-year-old Gary H. Holmes of Kimberly, BC, with a .25/06. Back in 1965, the world-record grizzly fell to one .30/30 bullet fired by Jack Turner. And before that, the world-record grizzly succumbed to a .22 Rimfire!

Bella Twin, an Indian girl, and her friend Dave Auger were hunting grouse near Lesser Slave Lake in northern Alberta. The only gun they had was Bella’s single-shot bolt-action .22 Rimfire rifle. They were walking a cutline that had been made for oil exploration when they saw a large grizzly following the same survey line toward them. If they ran, the bear would probably notice them and might chase, so they quietly sat down on a brush pile and hoped that the bear would pass by without trouble. But the bear came much too close, and when the big boar was only a few yards away, Bella Twin shot him in the side of the head with a .22 Long cartridge. The bear dropped, kicked and then lay still. Taking no chances, Bella went up close and fired all of the cartridges she had, seven or eight .22 Longs, into the bear’s head. That bear, killed in 1953, was the world-record grizzly for several years and is still high in the records today. Which only goes to show that in an emergency, strange things are possible, but who wants that kind of emergency?

arcadia
05-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I had a forestry teacher in Cranbrook in grade 11 named Mr. Mennie. He had a logging company in the 60s. Someone on his crew killed a big Grizz. An argument ensued among the loggers. Some said the grizz skull was indestructible. They set up the skull at on a stump and on an angle and shot it with a .22. Even at an angle, and at some distance, the bullet went straight through the skull.

arcadia
05-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Anyone want hear about my very close encounter with a huge Grizz when I was completely unarmed and alone and doing forestry North of McBride?

muleyman
05-02-2009, 07:19 PM
As a former resident of Mcbride I would love to hear it.

arcadia
05-02-2009, 08:32 PM
I was working for Slocan Forest Products Valemount Div. and I was supposed to walk through a small block that had been planted the previous year. It was up the Morkill FSR. I drove my truck up as far as I could until I got to the place where they had deactivated the road. I was supposed to walk in about 4 km in to the block, I think.
From the beginning I heard a strange sound a bit like a crow cawing up the road. I walked about 500 m and heard this noise every so often. I heard it again but this time it was behind me, I had walked past it. I looked back and saw a huge white wolf standing beside the road. I whistled and it didn't respond as it's attention was else where. I took my hat off and waved it and yelled "yoo hoo". The wolf took off like a scared coyote. A second or two later I saw a huge grizz appear. I looked him right in the eyes and saw the white hair on his shoulders. He was about 15 m away. The problem was, he was between me and my truck. I looked at my feet and walked back past him toward my truck and didn't get any work done that day. When I told Tony Bild the Silv. Forester for Slocan the story I'm not sure if he believed me. I must have been within 4-5 m from the bear as I walked by him but I was too afraid to look. Believe it or not.

yukon john
05-02-2009, 08:48 PM
had a griz come for me last year gave it the first one at 15 ft the second at 10, 338mag with 250 grains and it was only 6.5ft if i woulda had a 22 i probably woulda just stuck it in my mouth

NaStY
05-02-2009, 09:40 PM
I was working for Slocan Forest Products Valemount Div. and I was supposed to walk through a small block that had been planted the previous year. It was up the Morkill FSR. I drove my truck up as far as I could until I got to the place where they had deactivated the road. I was supposed to walk in about 4 km in to the block, I think.
From the beginning I heard a strange sound a bit like a crow cawing up the road. I walked about 500 m and heard this noise every so often. I heard it again but this time it was behind me, I had walked past it. I looked back and saw a huge white wolf standing beside the road. I whistled and it didn't respond as it's attention was else where. I took my hat off and waved it and yelled "yoo hoo". The wolf took off like a scared coyote. A second or two later I saw a huge grizz appear. I looked him right in the eyes and saw the white hair on his shoulders. He was about 15 m away. The problem was, he was between me and my truck. I looked at my feet and walked back past him toward my truck and didn't get any work done that day. When I told Tony Bild the Silv. Forester for Slocan the story I'm not sure if he believed me. I must have been within 4-5 m from the bear as I walked by him but I was too afraid to look. Believe it or not.

Dude do your self a favor and buy a lottery ticket.....

I would have filled my drawers and then tried to shoot it.....

Ambush
05-02-2009, 10:33 PM
There used to be a grizzly skull on display in a museum in Banff in the seventies. It was all chipped up and had some holes in it from a 22. The story was , it had been killed by an Indian woman from the Stoney reserve after it treed her while she was getting water. The 22 was on display also. If I remember, it was a repeater but only functioned as a single shot and the stock was wrapped with twine.

I don't remember her name, but could be the same person, mentioned previously.

nanaimochen
05-03-2009, 12:01 AM
I almost s**t myself when I read those stries.

Grizzly Squirrel
05-03-2009, 10:13 AM
I've had a few really close encounters(unarmed) with Grizz while soil sampling in the iron range, but never within 4-5 meters like Arcadia.

Did ya at least bring a change of shorts with you? :wink:

308Lover
05-03-2009, 11:18 AM
She had .22 shells in a tobacco can. .22 long rifle, from a SINGLE SHOT .22 (In any case she loaded one cartridge at a time!) It took about 13 shots. She was very old and was afraid she'd get hell if a bear ate all their smoked meat (or fish) She smoked a pipe. She didn't get too excited about it either.Eat your heart out you magnum lovers! Ha! Ha!

308Lover
05-03-2009, 11:23 AM
I just read the other posts on this story. Just goes to show how the story came down to me in pieces as a kid living in Alberta. I never heard she was with anyone, nor away from her camp. Find that's a bit strange. So much for the mocassin telegraph.