PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on feeding deer

la river
12-12-2009, 05:20 PM
In my yard I feed anyware from 15-30 deer a year, 2 years ago I fed 30+! Most of the time they are not all there but on occasion there's lots! Many friends joke on the fact that I could potentially fill my freezer all the time but I am not into shooting deer over food in my yard. Simply I enjoy feeding them and my kids love it! It's pretty darn cool seeing them battle and play and during the rut and watch the chase!!
Could have shot many nice bucks and tagged some does during achery season but just not hunting will post some picks when I get my shat together.
Whats your thoughts on pluggin a deer in your yard????

Will
12-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Well you can do what you wish.....but I'd rather shoot and eat one:-D

quadrakid
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Shooting critters in ones yard is not hunting.I,m not saying its wrong to do it,it just isn,t fair chase in my opinion.

la river
12-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Here's a couple pics from my phone

http://f455.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f69524%5fAFnFtEQAAVMFSyQzOwbDzFHWZ vk&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1 This guy was chasing her all over. Nice big 3x3.http://f455.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f70911%5fAKrFtEQAAIqNSyQzXgGuADdFa X0&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1Here she's runnin off.http://f455.mail.yahoo.com/ya/download?mid=1%5f69989%5fAFnFtEQAAVWgSyQzRQZl63qNo ZY&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1

I'll try and get some better pics computer here at work sucks!!

peashooter
12-12-2009, 05:50 PM
i would hunt crown land but if i had a tag at the end of the season i would absolutely put one in the freezer. i love the food too much to watch a bag of steaks in my yard all winter and have to eat safeway beef.

CanuckShooter
12-12-2009, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't do it...there are animals for lookin' at and there are animals for hunting. Shooting one in your yard that has been fed would be akin to shooting one in Jasper.....

bigneily
12-12-2009, 06:10 PM
i'm with you buddy, i just like to watch em sometimes also. shooting tame , fed deer is almost as bad as shooting fenced game and then braggin about it...

winchester284
12-12-2009, 06:48 PM

Sounds really similar to a cattle feed lot. :mrgreen: Apparently millions of people don't have a problem with eating that meat...

Where did you say you live??? :-D

JDR
12-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Couldn't do it...just isn't hunting imo. Like you, I think I would rather feed them if they were in my yard.

Ddog
12-12-2009, 06:53 PM
hmmm, i would do it under certain circumstances like the snow is to deep and it is threatening a winter kill, other than that it is illegal as hell and i would not take the chance.

la river
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
i'm with you buddy, i just like to watch em sometimes also. shooting tame , fed deer is almost as bad as shooting fenced game and then braggin about it...

Come on Neil get ur ass up here pretty sure you were there for my first deer you can have your pick this time!! No they are very cool to whatch and to see them grow, fed a whitey buck now for the last three years!!

JCVD
12-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Don't intentionally feed wild animals and disrupt their natural patterns...a mineral block would be the extent that I would do.

r106
12-12-2009, 07:13 PM
If you hunt to enjoy the outdoors then No. If you hunt to fill your freezer then Yes. If you do both then shoot him at the end of the season if you have a tag left :mrgreen:
________
New Jersey Dispensary (http://newjersey.dispensaries.org/)

brotherjack
12-12-2009, 07:36 PM
No problems with shooting a yard-deer here. I always find it halarious that guys make all these little rules about when/where/how/etc you should (or shouldn't) hunt. How is it different if you hike into the bush till you find a mineral lick or isolated water hole, and wait for the critters to show up, or sitting by food in your yard? I see none, myself -- other, than the yard is more convenient. :)

But, I freely admit, that I'm not really a "hunter" in the sense that most of you guys are -- I just like to kill tasty critters and eat em. If it's legal, I got no compunction about it whatsoever.

bigneily
12-12-2009, 07:41 PM
[quote=la river;576565]Come on Neil get ur ass up here.. i'll make up sometime to hunt with you again kev, but we won't be after deer, i'm thinking about bou...

knighthunter
12-12-2009, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't shoot a deer that I was feeding. When I lived on the prairies, lots of times I had several deer feeding in my yard during hunting seasons and I never shot a one.

Phil
12-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Since we're on the topic, I'de be interested in setting up a feeder at my place. Did the deer naturally come through your yard before you began feeding or did the feed entice them in? What sort of feed do put out?

dukester
12-12-2009, 08:38 PM
Yep i'd plug one :mrgreen: We do it every year in Sask, as we can bait here. Some start baiting in May, sooooooo when opening season starts along with 100's of trail cam pics you can wait and choose your animal. keep the bait going into winter/spring and pick up all the sheds too.

Ddog
12-12-2009, 08:57 PM
so the way i understand things is that what you are doing is illegal by feeding the deer in your yard......but......how would this be different from baiting in the field if in fact your yard is not in a closed zone? We are allowed to bait for deer , but if its in your yard its considered feeding?

Cariboospeed
12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
Fed deer are the best. They hold nice and still, relaxed, and taste like apples... :)

digger dogger
12-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Since we're on the topic, I'de be interested in setting up a feeder at my place. Did the deer naturally come through your yard before you began feeding or did the feed entice them in? What sort of feed do put out?

phil, chilliwack dart&tkl has c'mere deer & deer Co cain, they both work wicked, mix the c'mere deer with cracked corn, and crush up a few apples into it. the bears will eat it if you put to much out though so leave enough for 1 or 2 days only.. phone dart & tkl 1st to see if they have it in..

bigneily
12-12-2009, 10:22 PM
Fed deer are the best. They hold nice and still, relaxed, and taste like apples... :)
hahahaha damn near spilled my beer....:mrgreen:

Bowtime
12-13-2009, 12:10 AM
Now that I know where you live Kevin, I'll be there next season to bag a whitey with my bow!! you wont even hear me!

The Hermit
12-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I'm okay with killing "urban" deer where legal. In many instances they are a bit of a problem and many are killed by vehicles around here. If I could I would. My sister-in-law lives in a "town" but has a decent acreage and 100's of fruit trees.

rainman
12-13-2009, 12:40 AM
animals i feed i consider pets:-? nuff said

Islandeer
12-13-2009, 04:41 AM
Feedem till they are fat then harvest the freeloaders.:tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongu e:

Stone Sheep Steve
12-13-2009, 05:06 AM
so the way i understand things is that what you are doing is illegal by feeding the deer in your yard......but......how would this be different from baiting in the field if in fact your yard is not in a closed zone? We are allowed to bait for deer , but if its in your yard its considered feeding?

How is it illegal?? :-?......unless there's a local bylaw.

From what I understand...the only animals you can't feed are those considered "dangerous".....and it is only illegal to feed those when not engaged in a legal hunting activity..............eg. baiting wolves when the season is closed.

SSS

sawmill
12-13-2009, 05:42 AM
It is ilegal to feed deer here in Kimberley.Used to see 150 or more deer come running down the hillside every evening and scatter through the streets of Marysville heading to their favorite yard.They got pretty agressive with kids and dogs.

Richter313
12-13-2009, 06:41 AM
Like cariboospeed said........i can damn near taste the apples!

la river
12-13-2009, 08:30 AM
Shooting critters in ones yard is not hunting.I,m not saying its wrong to do it,it just isn,t fair chase in my opinion.
Definatley not fair chase and does not spell hunting imo.
It's not illegal...
The animals travel through in the winter, gone in summer...
Wrecked my cedar trees and other shrubs...
You don't need c'mere deer, maybe if the deer arent already there...

It wouldnt be any different than hunting a baited blind or tree stand I just like the chase(sneak,still hunt in the bush) not my yard. Was just wondering what others thought, not to justify shooting one in my yard, not going to happen!

Good luck BOWTIME you have to be sneaky and get off your quad!!LOL kidding...just stay outta my back yard!!!

kennyj
12-13-2009, 08:55 AM
To each there own,but I could never shoot deer that are accustom to people.I love to photograph them though, and then see if I can find their sheds.
kenny

hunter1947
12-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I have had lots of opportunities to get one right in my yard.

To me this is not hunting for me if I where to shot one in my yard.

I like looking at them when they are in my yard it gives me great enjoyment watching there behavior.

I wish a buck would loose his antlers in my yard one day http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

FLHTCUI
12-13-2009, 09:50 AM

Like Shooting fish in a barrel.:-D
Rob

la river
12-13-2009, 09:54 AM
I wish a buck would loose his antlers in my yard one day http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif.

I have picked up a few in the yard!

hunter 1947 you have black tails dont you?

hunter1947
12-13-2009, 10:10 AM
I have picked up a few in the yard!

hunter 1947 you have black tails dont you?

Correct http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif.

Prowler
12-13-2009, 10:37 AM
We have a fellow in town who feeds the deer regularly, and I have seen up to 20 blacktails in his yard, as well as a couple of nice bucks that i have photographed. The problem is he lives right next to a huge piece of crown land where the deer go back to in the day time, and I know of many bucks that have been killed in this piece, and the only reason they are easily patterned and killed is because of him feeding them. The guy gets quite upset at the fact that people hunt "His" deer, but I told him, "You are making it to easy for people to hunt these deer"
I have snuck around in there myself, and the deer sign is amazing! I have never seen anything like it in the wild, but to hunt it? Im not sure yet. Have given it a lot of thought though:-D
I do have a question though, and am hoping somebody can quote an actual regulation on this. Is in not illegle to feed wildlife? I could be wrong, but this was my thought...

thetackdriver
12-13-2009, 03:26 PM
I betcha not many on this site would be passing on a 200+ inch buck walking through their yard!!

Will
12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I do have a question though, and am hoping somebody can quote an actual regulation on this. Is in not illegle to feed wildlife? I could be wrong, but this was my thought...
It is not.....or everyone with a bird feeder would be in poo-poo.:wink:

It is however illegal in BC to feed "dangerous" wildlife such as bears etc....

Feeding dangerous wildlife

33.1 (1) A person who intentionally feeds or attempts to feed dangerous wildlife commits an offence.
(2) A person commits an offence if the person, with the intent of attracting dangerous wildlife to any land or premises, provides, leaves or places in, on or about the land or premises food, food waste or any other substance that could attract dangerous wildlife to the land or premises.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person who is engaging in hunting or trapping dangerous wildlife in accordance with all other applicable provisions of this Act and the regulations.

Prowler
12-13-2009, 05:00 PM
So does this leave it open to bait deer in B.C. then? Just asking

treeclimber
12-13-2009, 05:34 PM
mmmmmmmm apples, if I had a tag left I would be fillin the freezer

Stone Sheep Steve
12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
So does this leave it open to bait deer in B.C. then? Just asking

Check out the thread by Gatehouse "Legal Lies". Therein lies the truth:wink:.

SSS

Chuck
12-13-2009, 07:00 PM
Don't intentionally feed wild animals and disrupt their natural patterns...a mineral block would be the extent that I would do.

Although this is what is preached and generally accepted as the correct route to go, I disagree.
For the simple reason that we humans have in our endeavors disrupted the natural systems and environment to varying degrees and here and there.
A natural pattern is imo one that no man has had the least bit of influence over. Humans don't go there - that's totally natural and in control of someone higher or something else beyond us.
However when mankind takes over and changes the natural setting which affects the f**** and fauna, I think that it is wise and prudent to compensate. For example: when open pit mining destroys the landscape we should compensate by refurbishing the landscape so that it can be made to support the plants and wildlife that once were common there.
Feeding deer because hard times have befallen them , for whatever reason, is a wise thing to do imo, if only to maintain a healthy breeding population that is native to the area. When crows become too plentiful because of the actions of humans and their activities, then they should be thinned out so that they don't become a burden on the other small birds and creatures, which would not happen in an otherwise natural pattern. Anyway that's how I see it.