PDA

View Full Version : Spotting, stalking, and belly flopping

Lance Barkman
12-11-2009, 09:56 PM
I was just curious to know how many people have done a spot on a ram or a mulie in rocky country, and by the time you fandangle your way over there down the canyon, through the thick draw, you have no idea where you are, or better yet where you last saw your game? So here is the thing, I know the technology is out there to have a GPS with rangefinder combo that could mark the exact spot you seen your animal. Now I could probably figure it out on a pad and paper (maybe ;) finding the exact angle (N, E, W, or S) that I fired my laser on my rangefinder, then add that equassion to my currant coordinates, and vuala!!! now I can sneak in with out finding the place before I'm actually standing in the place and my monster mulie is high tailing it away from!

Does anyone know if this technology is available to us civilians? or does anyone know the equassion to do that on my GIPS? (Global Itmaynotworkproperlywholenotherstory positioning unit)

redcomet
12-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Well, you've pretty much done it.

Use you compass (that you should always carry despite having a gps), to take bearing from your location to the game animal, use your range finder to get distance. Then use the rocker panel on the gps to move your cursor (little finger pointer using a garmin handheld) over the range-estimated distance and bearing (compass), and hit 'mark waypoint' and voila, you're there (in a virtual world). Now hike to that waypoint and don't walk in to a g-bear with your head down staring at that stupid little box!

Good luck.

scott
12-11-2009, 10:34 PM
my garmin vista HCX has a "sight and go" function. bascily it's what you say but using the built in compass, so you only need to enter the distance. make sure you calibrate the compass first... it really needs to be done every time the GPS is turned on to work properly. if you have a real compass with you I'd compare. (one might be true vs mag though)

Darksith
12-11-2009, 11:10 PM
point and go on a rhino

tomahawk
12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
The challenge of hunting without all that sh*t makes for a better hunt and a more satisfying kill if it happens, don't need any of that stuff!

Darksith
12-11-2009, 11:16 PM
what we do when we are in an area that requires spotting and then getting to the animal is leave 1 guy with the scope to direct the others.

dave_83golf
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Global Itmaynotworkproperlywholenotherstory positioning unit

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAHHAHA

bridger
12-12-2009, 03:45 PM
I am amazed that hunters a couple of generations back were ever sucessful. no gps, no laser range finders etc.

Lance Barkman
12-12-2009, 07:04 PM
I am amazed that hunters a couple of generations back were ever sucessful. no gps, no laser range finders etc.

Well Ya!! I did a guesstamate stalk on a large mulie the last day of bow season, and once I made it up to the cliff I saw him on, I was not quite sure where he was. I should have stayed put at that point cause he was right there. His doe spooked after I moved up and he crossed me at 75 yards. too far!! Whos knows what would have happened if I was confident in my location and just stayed put! Also I seen a nice bedded mulie and I would be nice to circle way around, with no fear of losing the location of the buck. It's hard to do!

hotload
12-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Interesting Thread. Does anybody know of a website that talks about this particular method for spotting and stalking??? I have just begun reading this so I haven't been able as yet to take out my GPSMap60csx and test anything out. Question, will moving the cursor with the rocker panel to the intended compass direction and range finding from my already placed waypoint tell me on the face of my GPS somewhere what the yards or meters are????

Cariboospeed
12-12-2009, 10:13 PM
I just shoot it from where I am. Then I can go to it without it running away.

redcomet
12-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Question, will moving the cursor with the rocker panel to the intended compass direction and range finding from my already placed waypoint tell me on the face of my GPS somewhere what the yards or meters are????

Yes
http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/data/500/medium/GPS_screenshot.jpg (http://www.huntingbc.ca/photos/showphoto.php?photo=16798&size=big&cat=500&ppuser=15160)

steel_ram
12-13-2009, 01:46 PM
I think there should be satellites that detect game, perhaps even identify species, antler growth excetera. Then the privileged few that can afford the handheld access devises can toon in. Or perhap's from the comfort of their 5th wheel's, remotely navigate their rifle equiped ATV's within range . . . .
Oh, and don't forget to post your posed, camo'd up selves here on HBC.

steel_ram
12-13-2009, 01:49 PM
You could also use the projection feature of your GPS. Mark current position. Taking a compass bearing to target, estimate (or range) distance. Plug it in and you'll get a new waypoint of the target.

silvertipp
12-13-2009, 01:55 PM
The challenge of hunting without all that sh*t makes for a better hunt and a more satisfying kill if it happens, don't need any of that stuff!
weell said

Lance Barkman
12-14-2009, 01:45 PM
I think my gps is too old school to use this mapping technique. I have an old Garmin that gets me home when it works. Oh and yes it is a more satisfying hunt when you can do it with out all this "shit", but fact is you probably use "shit" that your dad or grandad would have never used. At what point do you stop evolving and fight for traditionalism? Are you more of a hunter if you stick to traditionalism? I do respect traditionalism and agree with you. But metephorically speaking it may be better to have "steak" with your "fire", than just a "fire" if you catch my drift.

Hydrojet
12-14-2009, 02:24 PM
i vote to collar all animals to make them easier to find....we also need more fences....anyone know a butcher/chef that is on call and mobile?....can he shoot too? hey redcomet...I know exactly where that is! all joking aside....compass w/o batteries...learn it, use it, love it. use landmarks and don't forget to use the ones behind you as well! it's what you can see when you're on the other side. Find a landmark and line it up with where you want to be and find the heading walk off use the azimuth force and then find your landmark. keep your head up and stick on the ice so to speak.

Lance Barkman
12-14-2009, 02:52 PM
i vote to collar all animals to make them easier to find....we also need more fences....anyone know a butcher/chef that is on call and mobile?....can he shoot too? hey redcomet...I know exactly where that is! all joking aside....compass w/o batteries...learn it, use it, love it. use landmarks and don't forget to use the ones behind you as well! it's what you can see when you're on the other side. Find a landmark and line it up with where you want to be and find the heading walk off use the azimuth force and then find your landmark. keep your head up and stick on the ice so to speak.

I used Landmarks once and then the snow a fog set in. It was one lonely cold wet night out on the tundra. I knew the area so well but it all goes Chinese literature when you can only see 20 feet in front of you. Needless to say it cleared up over night (lucky me) and I made it back to camp the next day. So Compass 1st then GPS then extra batteries. who knows it may save you over 3k in search and rescue costs. :)

Hydrojet
12-14-2009, 03:45 PM
But if that kind of weather is setting in, get out. It's part of the fun of the outdoors. In bad weather the GPS can lose it's signal or if the canopy is too think, so where are you then? If you are far enough in to need the GPS/compass to navigate you should also have enough to spend a night or two.

If there was unlimited visabilty and a radio shack's worth of AA in your pocket the GPS isn't going to help with an injury. Don't get me wrong, a gps is a great gadget to have, i have one, and makes life easier, but making life easier isn't a substitue for the basics. I stick to the KISS format and come prepared...."luck is where the prepared meets oppourtunity"