PDA

View Full Version : fly in lakes for stone sheep

jackpine
12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
what is a good lake to fly in and spike out from for stone sheep?not looking for someone's honey hole,just need a place to start.

Dale
12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
I'll give you my honey hole; its on ain'tgonnatellya mountain, you land on hahahahaha lake, it's the one right next to tightlippedsheephunters lake.

Just playing with ya, seriously have a look through the past threads and you will find the info you need to get you looking in the right direction. I can tell you right now that no one will give you a spot to try, but there are many up north.

Later.

SHACK
12-11-2009, 07:21 PM
yup, Dale hit it right. No one is gonna just tell ya where to go for sheep. Perhaps the most zipper lipped animal in the province. The effort required to hunt sheep leads to very tight lips.
Do some research, look at past threads, get on google earth, look at some areas that go's are operating out of etc.

BiG Boar
12-11-2009, 07:23 PM
PM sent with secret location. haha. It would be easier to get a logger to tell you he listens to Nsync and BackStreet Boys.

ramron
12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
look at the B.C. records book. This will give you a general idea where some of the better rams have come from. Then it's research, research and more research.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
look at the B.C. records book. This will give you a general idea where some of the better rams have come from. Then it's research, research and more research.

Good advice. Ther maybe be some BS in there but lakes that keep showing up are a good place to start

SSS

GoatGuy
12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
There's an old thread on here somewhere that has a list of a pile of lakes.

BCbillies
12-11-2009, 08:02 PM
There's an old thread on here somewhere that has a list of a pile of lakes.

If I recall it was Jelvis spilling the beans and then a few others added more names. Perhaps a couple of dozen lakes were listed and this will provide a lifetime of sheep hunting! :wink:

blackbart
12-11-2009, 08:47 PM
Kamloops Lake comes to mind, sorry might not have too many Stone's sheep though. Might be a recent post on here about that spot to give you an idea as to what to expect.

12-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Talk to the charter pilots...or owners...they will be pretty honest.

boxhitch
12-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Everyone in the brotherhood of hunting......
until you ask for details
no one likes to fuel the competition, real or perceived

Record books are a good source, though no sheep are killed on the Ketchika River

Prowler
12-15-2009, 11:33 AM
I killed this 40.5 inch Ram at ............... Lake...:)

(edited by prowler to keep Sitka Spruce from kicking the crap out of him)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/untitled.jpg

muledeercrazy
12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
call the conservation officers and ask them. also check with the ministry biologists, they probably have as good an idea as anyone where the sheep are! and they will even tell you where the honey holes are..

12-15-2009, 11:43 AM
if you find a camera develop the pics and post them here...watch out for the bear.
then return the camera to twsh

yukon john
12-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Mill lake Abbotsford....huge sheep plus there is a mcdonalds just up the hill if you run outta mountain house

Confused
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Here is a start http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29031

hntcrazy
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Prowler that looks like Tuchodi area .And many moons ago............

Sitkaspruce
12-15-2009, 01:39 PM
I killed this 40.5 inch Ram at ............... Lake...:)

(edited by prowler to keep Sitka Spruce from kicking the crap out of him)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/untitled.jpg

Holly crap, you look young!!!!:mrgreen::wink:

Almost 20 years ago eh buddy.........

And this on his first real hunt, his first fly-in hunt and his first sheep!!! Talk about begginers luck!!!!!:-D:wink:

He took that big ram and I took this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/P9150061.jpg

Funny, I was just going to watch the video of that hunt over the christmas holidays.

Anyways, I forget where that small lake was.....:-D

As most have said, check out the record books and do your homework. Most on here had to do it by trail and error, with lots of warn boot leather and blisters to show for it.

Cheers

SS

d6dan
12-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Holly crap, you look young!!!!:mrgreen::wink:

Almost 20 years ago eh buddy.........

And this on his first real hunt, his first fly-in hunt and his first sheep!!! Talk about begginers luck!!!!!:-D:wink:

He took that big ram and I took this one
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v489/Sitkaspruce/P9150061.jpg

Funny, I was just going to watch the video of that hunt over the christmas holidays.

Anyways, I forget where that small lake was.....:-D

As most have said, check out the record books and do your homework. Most on here had to do it by trail and error, with lots of warn boot leather and blisters to show for it.

Cheers

SS

Nice Rams Boys, Ken, your Ram sure has a tight curl for a stone..
I shot mine in 1990. First sheep hunt too. Beginners luck?. I think not.. Its all dedication:-D.
Whats the length of horn ?.

Prowler
12-15-2009, 02:50 PM
"And this on his first real hunt, his first fly in hunt, and his first sheep! Talk about beginners luck!"

Cmon now Ken, everybody can see your jelousy a mile away...
He is just disgruntled because I obviously did my homework a little better than he did, and after dragging his but up that mountan, and shooting the much larger of the 3 rams we saw that day, leaving him the young subordanant Ram to shoot, he was in awe for the rest of the trip at my hunting prowess!!!
That is untill he had to convince me not to spend the night up on the mountain unarmed because I was to exhausted to continue on with the burden of my pack on my back....
"Im just gonna sleep here Ken, you go ahead" "LIKE HELL !! Here eat this, and get off your ass you lazy muther $%#@^r, Im not leaving you up here!!!!

Yes, first fly in trip, first sheep, first time I had ever even seen a Stones sheep.. Ken spotted them from the lake, and I talked him in to going for them, because he was whining about blisters or some other pussy excuse like that, and when we got within range, he said, Im shooting the darker one, and then you shoot the other one" Im thinking, "which other one, there are 3 rams standing there" So Boom!!! Down goes Kens Ram, and I said, "IM gonna shoot the big white one" Ken says, "Where the hell did he come from?" Haha, BOOM!!! Just like that... Nothing to this sheep hunting... Back to camp by 1:30 in the morning, and back up again the next day to retrieve them, and camp by midninght again....
Beginners luck? I will take it every time!!!:mrgreen:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/Prowler101/n712241803_962253_7709-1.jpg

40 1/2 " on one side, and 37 on the other, scoring 163 and change.. A trip of a lifetime.....

bforce750
12-15-2009, 02:54 PM
"And this on his first real hunt, his first fly in hunt, and his first sheep! Talk about beginners luck!"

He is just disgruntled because I obviously did my homework a little better than he did, and after dragging his but up that mountan, and shooting the much larger of the 3 rams we saw that day, leaving him the young subordanant Ram to shoot, he was in awe for the rest of the trip at my hunting prowess!!!
That is untill he had to convince me not to spend the night up on the mountain unarmed because I was to exhausted to continue on with the burden of my pack on my back....
"Im just gonna sleep here Ken, you go ahead" "LIKE HELL !! Here eat this, and get off your ass you lazy muther $%#@^r, Im not leaving you up here!!!!

Yes, first fly in trip, first sheep, first time I had ever even seen a Stones sheep.. Ken spotted them from the lake, and I talked him in to going for them, because he was whining about blisters or some other pussy excuse like that, and when we got within range, he said, Im shooting the darker one, and then you shoot the other one" Im thinking, "which other one, there are 3 rams standing there" So Boom!!! Down goes Kens Ram, and I said, "IM gonna shoot the big white one" Ken says, "Where the hell did he come from?" Haha, BOOM!!! Just like that... Nothing to this sheep hunting... Back to camp by 1:30 in the morning, and back up again the next day to retrieve them, and camp by midninght again....

40 1/2 " on one side, and 37 on the other, scoring 163 and change.. A trip of a lifetime.....

That's awsome,that would be my dream trip for sure!!!

Sitkaspruce
12-15-2009, 07:05 PM

Yea, a trip of a life time!!!

That pict brings back a lot of memories.

We eneded up, between the 4 of us, three rams, two good mt goats and a nice coloured black bear, that stole my horns and was coming back for more when Ian shot him.

Not bad for 4 guys from the Island on their first trip up north, first sheep hunt and first place we picked. It was also the first of many fly-in trips.

We learned a lot on that trip. Like black garbage bags are really good for hanging up all the extra cloths that we did not need:-D along the trails, do not try newer boots on while in a fly-in hunt:wink:, do not hike all the way up the mountain, shoot a sheep and leave your pack back down at the bottom:confused::) and last, do not take newbie hunters and allow them to shoot a bigger sheep....it goes straight to their head:mrgreen::-D.

d6dan, my sheep was 37.5 x 37.5 with a dark cape, His was lucky it was bigger. I had to field judge it and tell him it was legal:eek::smile::wink:

oh and the third ram, he might just have been the biggest.
He was heavily broomed, but carried his weight all the way to the broomed off tips, which were just below the bridge of his nose. I wanted lamb tips and got them, Ian got the magic 40" and made the other two in camp very jelous as their ram was 35" and the other guy missed a beauty. Got it all on video, the miss that is.:)

We sure hijacked this thread LOL!!!!

Cheers

SS

Crossfire
12-15-2009, 10:46 PM
How does a simple question, posed by a sheep hunter turn, into a conversation you would see at a little girls playschool. We all realize that everyone has hunted " farther, faster and harder" than everyone else. If you don't have something - on topic, constructive or informational - to offer, please save the horn blowing and back slapping for the barber shop. On the other hand if you aren't threatened by a simply friendly inquiry or you sheep hunt because you live for the adventure, self fulfillment and the sheer joy of it, throw in a couple ideas. Sheep hunting isn't about numbers or bragging rights. Its about knowing you rose to the challenge of a awesome adventure, made some lifelong memories with a buddy and "got to see what was over the next ridge". If you need anything more than that, you aren't a real sheep hunter. Remember, its the quiet guys that are usually the ones that have achieved more success in their own personal sheep quests than the blow hards. "Better to have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!

Prowler
12-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Well I would say welcome aboard Crossfire, but I think not... Exactly what you mentioned, the love of the hunt, the lifelong memories, and the excitement of what was discovered over the next ridge is exactly what this was all about. If you dont see that, then you are on the wrong forum... "Horn Blowing?" Man, you dont get it. Nice first post...:neutral:

Prowler
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
"Better to have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!

words of wisdom. you should heed them....

d6dan
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
PM sent Jackpine..

Nice Rams Prowler and Kenny.. Its been 19yrs since I shot my stone..your pics are bringing good memories back:wink:

Big7
12-15-2009, 11:48 PM
Hate to say it but you've hot a better chance of seeing God at Tim Horton's in the morning than getting a sheep hunter to tell you what lake to hunt...a lake where there are sheep anyway! I know, I'm one of 'em!

boxhitch
12-16-2009, 08:04 AM
Here is a start http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=29031Funny, that one was derailed too.

Dirty
12-16-2009, 08:09 AM
I personally would fly in to Charlie Lake. Make sure you go for the opener, you are going to be hiking a long ways to the stone sheep country. :mrgreen:

Crossfire
12-16-2009, 11:36 AM
To Prowler. I'm wasn't singularly meaning you or your sheep hunting story. You obviously had a great trip and took some super rams. I can truly say that I am happy for you. Reading some of the posts on this thread and many others like it really makes me question why some guys hunt or go onto sites like this. I just recently joined this site, but it is really no different than any other hunting forum or pretty much most hunting campfire discussions. The point I'm trying to make is this; while everyone approaches each topic or situation from a different angle - basic, friendly questions about areas, gear, etc. should be answered in like manner. We all like hearing about others trips and stories, so keep them coming, but making little digs in regards to someones query etc. isn't required. And Prowler, yours was a good story. Nice Rams, hope your success continues.

Will
12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Sheep Hunting ! :cool:

....it always Brings out the best in some folks !!! :lol::lol:

The Hermit
12-16-2009, 07:11 PM
So do guides make their customers sign contracts that they won't ever return on their own or tell anyone where "they" shot the animal? If I win a big lottery maybe I'll go on a few guided hunts, take lots of pictures and GPS waypoints to share with resident hunters! LOL

Big7
12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
To Prowler. I'm wasn't singularly meaning you or your sheep hunting story. You obviously had a great trip and took some super rams. I can truly say that I am happy for you. Reading some of the posts on this thread and many others like it really makes me question why some guys hunt or go onto sites like this. I just recently joined this site, but it is really no different than any other hunting forum or pretty much most hunting campfire discussions. The point I'm trying to make is this; while everyone approaches each topic or situation from a different angle - basic, friendly questions about areas, gear, etc. should be answered in like manner. We all like hearing about others trips and stories, so keep them coming, but making little digs in regards to someones query etc. isn't required. And Prowler, yours was a good story. Nice Rams, hope your success continues.
Fair enough but seriously...do you think that people should or would offer up spots to hunt stone sheep after many of us have put in years of research and 100'ds of kms to find good spots? I agree forums could be more civil once in awhile but you'll get what you expect when you ask retorical questions...

BearStump
12-16-2009, 08:37 PM
Crossfire The point I'm trying to make is this; while everyone approaches each topic or situation from a different angle - basic, friendly questions about areas, gear, etc. should be answered in like manner. We all like hearing about others trips and stories, so keep them coming, but making little digs in regards to someones query etc. isn't required. And Prowler, yours was a good story. Nice Rams, hope your success continues

since you're new to the site, I'll let ya in on a little secret.

The vast majority of hunters on this site dont want to give up their honeyhole(and quite unerstandably). And i'm pretty sure that the sarcasm that they put in their responses is not intended to hurt anybodys soft feelings, but more as a joke. this site must experience 30-40 newbies a month asking for a good spot to hunt. It kinda gets old. If they all got their answers, there would be a huge success rate on killin stuff , no more honey holes and a low animal population.
Better to keep it this way.:)

Speaking of joke; you need to tell a joke if you're new to the site before you'll get any respect around here.

Nice sheep, SitkaS, and Prowler!!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Crossfire
12-16-2009, 11:30 PM
Last two entries - both valid points. I don't think anybody really expects to have anybodies secret locations revealed.... as the original question on this thread states. I also understand the newbie thing. One thing to keep in mind though is that just because any guy is a "newbie" to this site doesn't mean that they are fresh and inexperienced, and more than likely, they probally have secrets of their own. I'm not out to make enemies or step on anybodies toes on this website..... just stated what I felt was going on. I'm sure we all have met the "slob" hunters out their - in fact I'm sure everybody has complained about somebody at one time or another on this forum. Human nature I guess. As far as jokes, I'll have to think on that one for awhile.

muledeercrazy
12-27-2009, 01:38 PM
How does a simple question, posed by a sheep hunter turn, into a conversation you would see at a little girls playschool. We all realize that everyone has hunted " farther, faster and harder" than everyone else. If you don't have something - on topic, constructive or informational - to offer, please save the horn blowing and back slapping for the barber shop. On the other hand if you aren't threatened by a simply friendly inquiry or you sheep hunt because you live for the adventure, self fulfillment and the sheer joy of it, throw in a couple ideas. Sheep hunting isn't about numbers or bragging rights. Its about knowing you rose to the challenge of a awesome adventure, made some lifelong memories with a buddy and "got to see what was over the next ridge". If you need anything more than that, you aren't a real sheep hunter. Remember, its the quiet guys that are usually the ones that have achieved more success in their own personal sheep quests than the blow hards. "Better to have people think your an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"!

I agree with you a hundred percent. The sad part is this thread doesnt end here it continues on with other threads mocking the idea that a guy would ask for general info. too bad, its nice to think most hunters are decent guys!

leadpillproductions
12-27-2009, 05:42 PM
I think as long as the person has done some homerwork i have no problem helping out now as for sheep im in the same boat no idea where to start

Dirty
12-27-2009, 05:48 PM
So do guides make their customers sign contracts that they won't ever return on their own or tell anyone where "they" shot the animal? If I win a big lottery maybe I'll go on a few guided hunts, take lots of pictures and GPS waypoints to share with resident hunters! LOL

Newsflash, Resident hunters can't afford the price of a guided sheep hunt. So guides don't have to worry about it. In addition, a lot of the places where guides hunt have access issues. These include deals with pilots to not fly there, or blocking runways, and so forth. In most cases residents don't have the necessary jet boats or horses to get into other areas.