PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

GoatGuy
12-11-2009, 05:17 PM
So you've been hunting in a spot all week, same spot you hunt every year. You've got a pretty nice little blind built there. Been getting up and hiking in well before first light every morning.

One morning you're walking in and on the way in you notice fresh footprints, not samsquatch prints, hunter prints following yours from the day before. :eek: No big deal, it's big country and there's lots of room for everybody.

Hike another 30 minutes, get to your blind and there's a guy sitting right beside it, not in it, but right beside it. "How's it going?" you ask. "You've got a nice spot here, I'm just gonna sit here for the morning," he replies.

What do you do?

Ozone
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Grab blind and leave wishing him a good day as you leave.

frenchbar
12-11-2009, 05:20 PM
I would say 'did ya bring some extra grub':)

stitch
12-11-2009, 05:21 PM
Wish him luck and continue on. It's public land and like you said....lots of area to hunt. I'm thinkin the guy was respectful enough not to use the stand....not what we want to happen but he has everyright to be there.Still it sucks...

luckynuts
12-11-2009, 05:32 PM
Well seems like this guy wants to be a dickhead so I would give him a goodmorning and a wave, walk out 50-75 yds hang a couple of targets up break out the cheap box of blue feds and start shooting my 300. Then I would say to him, wow! man is my gun ever out I might be here awhile. Then proceed to Drop my drawers I ain't shy, and have a big crap and then continue shooting:mrgreen:

Actually if a guy walks into one of my set-ups he has every right to hunt it as he busted his balls to get in there, or should I say dragged his balls through the snow:tongue:. It's a shitty deal cause if you have a set-up it's because you know what's around.

L

Bow Walker
12-11-2009, 05:39 PM
There's two basic choices that you're faced with.

1. You can be a first-class "A-hole" and disrupt his morning hunt.

2. You can take the high road and wish him good hunting, carry on to a different spot, and continue your unsuccessful hunt.

GoatGuy
12-11-2009, 05:41 PM
Well seems like this guy wants to be a dickhead so I would give him a goodmorning and a wave, walk out 50-75 yds hang a couple of targets up break out the cheap box of blue feds and start shooting my 300. Then I would say to him, wow! man is my gun ever out I might be here awhile. Then proceed to Drop my drawers I ain't shy, and have a big crap and then continue shooting:mrgreen:

LOL - this is too funny. What happens if all you have is a .338? Those shells ain't cheap and you already had your morning safety meeting?

sparkes3
12-11-2009, 05:48 PM
if its a 338 you only gotta bang a couple and there wont be much left in the area anyways.

Darksith
12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
I would just talk to him. Let him know that you don't think his following you to a spot is appropriate and he should maybe move on. Im not afraid to tell peeps what I think, if they don't see it my way then I can move on after some choice words, but I would say you "you can obviously see that I have put some time and effort into this spot, and I would appreciate it if you moved on". Making sure you know where hes going and vice versa cause you don't wanna get shot!

Kudu
12-11-2009, 05:57 PM
So you've been hunting in a spot all week, same spot you hunt every year. You've got a pretty nice little blind built there. Been getting up and hiking in well before first light every morning.

One morning you're walking in and on the way in you notice fresh footprints, not samsquatch prints, hunter prints following yours from the day before. :eek: No big deal, it's big country and there's lots of room for everybody.

Hike another 30 minutes, get to your blind and there's a guy sitting right beside it, not in it, but right beside it. "How's it going?" you ask. "You've got a nice spot here, I'm just gonna sit here for the morning," he replies.

What do you do?

I would introduce myself, thank him for not stealing my blind \ stand and get to know the guy. He is, after all another hunter and if like me - will most likely enjoy a nice cup of warm tea \ coffee from the Kelly Kettle.

GoatGuy
12-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Now to throw a wrench into it.

What if you had talked to the guy and told him where you were going to be hunting the day before.

And what if you told him a couple of other good spots with stands to hunt in the area?

1/2 slam
12-11-2009, 06:04 PM
Leave.

He got there first. He's not in your stand. Get up earlier next time.

BlacktailStalker
12-11-2009, 06:11 PM
"I didnt plan on hunting with anybody today but looks like I am :biggrin:"

I'd leave, tell him its my grandfathers blind I built for him, he usually sits all day as hes too old to still hunt, never shoots much more than a meat buck and takes all year to get it but just enjoys being out there, save him a spiker if ya dont mind, good luck :)

Kudu
12-11-2009, 06:11 PM

What if you had talked to the guy and told him where you were going to be hunting the day before.

And what if you told him a couple of other good spots with stands to hunt in the area?

Nothing changes - I told him where to hunt - I told him where I would be hunting - hell, the guy is most likely a lonely immigrant like me - all I can do is welcome him into the flock - or should that be the "brotherhood" of hunters.

gary murray
12-11-2009, 06:15 PM
I know that if i came across someones blind setup i'd go find another spot to sit. Kinda got me thinking about that asian guy that snuck onto private property a number of years back and climbed into another hunters deer stand. a few hunters showed up to hunt from their stands in the area, war of words began and the asian hunter killed two or three of them with his rifle. I think it was in Michigan so correct me if i'm wrong.

Stone Sheep Steve
12-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Pretend your a raging homosexual and start hitting on him:wink:...or break out the video camera and start filming......or both:-D.

SSS

GoatGuy
12-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Nothing changes - I told him where to hunt - I told him where I would be hunting - hell, the guy is most likely a lonely immigrant like me - all I can do is welcome him into the flock - or should that be the "brotherhood" of hunters.

Welcome brother.

cainer
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Everything happens for a reason-maybe if you move on, you'll find that monster buck-that you never would have found if you had been sitting in your blind that day.

twoSevenO
12-11-2009, 08:04 PM
these threads make me laugh.... Guy gets up bright and early while you sleep in, and it's his fault for picking a good spot on public land to sit and wait out some game....

Ambush
12-11-2009, 08:14 PM

Then he is [was] a friend of yours.

I'd strike him off my Chritmas card list and never give him another tip.

Gateholio
12-11-2009, 08:23 PM

He got there first, and you should have kept your mouth shut if you didn't want company.:wink:

gameslayer
12-11-2009, 08:31 PM
I had something similar happen to me, I cleared up a spot on the finger tip of a ridge that looked down on either side, a bench in front of it and the side of a steeper ridge beside it. I hunted it 2 days straight saw some smaller bucks and there was a lot of game running around so I was not quick on the trigger. This spot does have a quad trail (in frequently used) within sight 200 yards away about a 30 yard drop down running parallel to it near the steeper ridge. This guy drives by on his quad I think it is my buddy so make myself easy to see it's about 10:30 am time for coffee and he spikes on the brakes. Looks at me with the bino's, he is wearing white snow camo. I give him a friendly wave, he moves on. The next morning I am hiking up to the same spot and as I crest the ridge and am about 10 yards away the same guy wearing snow camo is standing in the spot I was in and because it is dark and he is grunting a grunt tube to get my attention. (Bad idea I think being as I have a gun and am looking for a buck)
I looked at him a little surprised and did not mis a step and kept walking down the back side of the ridge to a corner of another spot we call the crotch with in eye sight of the siluette of the other hunter but he was tree’s blocking him. Long story short a decent buck comes running through the crotch and I hammer it. I can hear the guy saw s--t from the higher ridge and walk away :mrgreen: (figured he may offer to give me a hand drag it out) so moral of the story I felt is if you are dealt a bad hand make the best of it and sometimes things have a way of working out. No sense stressing out like others have said. :)

Fixit
12-11-2009, 08:41 PM
if its public land, you have no (ZERO) claim to it. blind or not

Im a believer in the first come first serve principle. First guy there gets the choice IMHO.

A hello, quiet chat and maybe a shared coffee/tea. If i had built a blind at that area, i may indicate that i was the builder of the blind and that i had hoped to use it today, but seeing as he beat me there today, ill use it tomorow instead.

horshur
12-11-2009, 08:57 PM
I have heard my Dad tell this story....names have been changed to protect the individuals involved...happened thirty years ago.

Joe used johns truck to follow fred and george to thier whitetail hole without john knowing....John was puzzeled when fred and george came after him about it in a physical way........not the first time old Joe pulled stuff like this he used to wait in the royal anne for larry to pick up his clients as well.........all good fun!!!!

ps....john got a few good whitetails in that hole and so did dale.

ruger#1
12-11-2009, 09:00 PM

What do you do? Throw your budweiser cans at him. And i meen hit him hard with full cans.

BearStump
12-11-2009, 09:05 PM
want to really throw a wrench into the story?

what if the other hunter was a hot 25 yr. old blond. about 5'5", 110 lbs. sporting some new "she safari" camo. and she was talking to you like a phone sex operator as soon as you approached?
How would your reaction differ then?:mrgreen::mrgreen::twisted::twisted:

mike_b
12-11-2009, 09:06 PM
I'd probably have to chuckle a little them tell them that I really like the spot they've "found". I'd then introduce myself, maybe have a cup of coffee with them, pack up my blind, wish them well, and be on my way to one of the other 4-5 places that I've been to that look promising in the area.

ruger#1
12-11-2009, 09:11 PM

what if the other hunter was a hot 25 yr. old blond. about 5'5", 110 lbs. sporting some new "she safari" camo. and she was talking to you like a phone sex operator as soon as you approached?
How would your reaction differ then?:mrgreen::mrgreen::twisted::twisted: Then i would ask her if she would like to drink a bud with me. Im no bozo. You forgot to mention if she was a hot blond.

Fisher-Dude
12-11-2009, 09:18 PM

GoatGuy has the most beautiful blonde girl c/w camo waiting for him at home, so that wouldn't change his approach at all.

I say that GG should have gone into the hut and started snoring and puking like he usually does after a night of boozin'...buddy will GTFO soon thereafter.

twoSevenO
12-11-2009, 10:57 PM

I think my erection .... i mean reaction, would be quite different for sure :mrgreen:

GoatGuy
12-12-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm just wondering what everybody would do. :wink: I really don't get too excited about this stuff, just wanted to see the different perspectives to help understand the thought process.

It all helps.

GoatGuy
12-12-2009, 01:40 AM
Throw your budweiser cans at him. And i meen hit him hard with full cans.

That would be a waste of beer. Maybe frozen piss jugs?

GoatGuy
12-12-2009, 01:42 AM

How do you know what a phone sex operator talks like?

pete_k
12-12-2009, 01:59 AM
Early bird gets the worm.
I'd probably say something like. "Hello, Looks like you found my blind. Don't worry, I'm not asking you to leave. See anything moving yet?" Maybe pop the thermos and get to know him a bit over a coffee, smoke and hunting talk. I'd get up and get ready to leave and ask him where he's gonna be later so we can avoid bouncing into eachother again.

I'd be willing to move on to new country with no hard feelings. Probably use his location and wind to my advantage if I could. I'd move on.

Anyone has as much right to be there as I do.
If I slept in and most my spot then it's my own damn fault.
Good for him for getting up earlier than me. Must be dedicated.

in summary:
Treat him like any other hunter I'd run accross by chance.

BiG Boar
12-12-2009, 02:26 AM
If there was a hot blond in the stand I would ask my wife what she was doing up before me and why I didn't see breakfast on the table?

hunter1947
12-12-2009, 06:08 AM
If your a nice person you say good luck to him and go to another spot.

Or you can be a jerk and say well I think I will get above you into the tree stand I built and wait for mr big to show.

ruger#1
12-12-2009, 09:36 AM
That would be a waste of beer. Maybe frozen piss jugs? Okay lets not have a thread about those in the woods.

sparkes3
12-12-2009, 10:44 AM
you snooze you loose go somewhere else.i would be pissed but what can you do .they would have to camp there in order to beat me next time.chew the rag with them for a few minutes then move on there's gotta be more than one spot to hunt in the woods.

Prowler
12-12-2009, 11:21 AM
if its public land, you have no (ZERO) claim to it. blind or not

Im a believer in the first come first serve principle. First guy there gets the choice IMHO.

A hello, quiet chat and maybe a shared coffee/tea. If i had built a blind at that area, i may indicate that i was the builder of the blind and that i had hoped to use it today, but seeing as he beat me there today, ill use it tomorow instead.

I think this is about the best answer yet...

Ltbullken
12-13-2009, 01:29 PM
It's public land. No one owns a hunting spot. So I would start up conversation about how you've developed that spot, let him know you're disappointed that you can't hunt there today, ask him how long he'll be there so you when to come back. Swap hunting stories - you never know, you might strike up a good freindship/hunting partner out of it. It's good to have a few choice spots as there is always going to be hunting pressure if the area is productive and you can move on to another of your spots. Cover up your track a bit so other hunters aren't tempted to follow your trail in. Personally, if I were the 'intruder', I'd compliment him on his stand and offer to leave.

Ltbullken
12-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger#1 http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=575644#post575644)
Throw your budweiser cans at him. And i meen hit him hard with full cans.

That would be a waste of beer. Maybe frozen piss jugs?

I thought Budweiser was piss...????

silvertipp
12-13-2009, 01:48 PM
well since you have as much right to be there as him,why not climb into your stand & say im hunting this ridge too,Id think that might get your point across

log_roller
12-13-2009, 02:20 PM
Id fire off a couple of bear bangers pack up my blind wish him luck and leave its taboo taking another hunters perch I wouldn't care if he hunted the area he might flush something out I know how to share what hes doing is the same as stealing

log_roller
12-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Heres another on what if the guy was in your tree stand is that still alright how would you guys react to that?

gbear
12-13-2009, 02:33 PM
I would ask him if he is the guy that stole my trail camera the other day

SAVAGE300
12-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I would say good morning and proceed to take my stand apart, and mention to him that you have been sitting in it for 3 weeks and have not seen a thing, not even as much as a doe