PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Credits Land Usage??????????????

flyboy
12-11-2009, 12:58 PM
Here is a new situation I ran into this fall-

So I am sure you are all familier with the new Carbon emission laws ECT ECT
for those that are not the short is big companys(polluters) are being required to reduce there carbon footprint, those companys that cannot, they BUY carbon credits which offset the emisions they produce.

Anyway back on topic, this fall I went out to go hunting and came on a number of large fields as well as some old cutblocks with large no hunting/trespass signs due to a NEW FOREST in progress. There was a website address on the bottom of the sign.
I went on the internet and the address sent me to a large US company site. I left a short email inquireing about using the land to do some hunting on.
Couple weeks later I recieved a call from a represenative who informed me that the said company had purcashed the land and was in time going to plant trees to offset future carbon emissions. I informed him that I wasn't going to Quad or trample any trees but just wanted to hunt the area. This is what I found interesting-
The no hunting was not to protect trees but rather "to create the illusion of a GAME RESERVE that the company could advertise to their SHAREHOLDERS"Who inturn would be super impressed and invest more $$$$.

So do not be surprised if that old field/homestead that you like to check out for deer doesn't have a similier sign in the next few years cause CARBON CREDITS is big buisness and they are looking for all the tree planting areas they can.
And you thought there was no way around the BC CARBON TAX that goes up every July???? I'm going to try and get credits for the Birch tree i planted in the yard last Summer.

jml11
12-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Not sure the area you found this but there is a couple sections of land just outside the PG city limits on the Moldowan FSR that are being used for the same reason. I believe the company that owns it might be from Japan though.

sako7mm
12-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Not sure the area you found this but there is a couple sections of land just outside the PG city limits on the Moldowan FSR that are being used for the same reason. I believe the company that owns it might be from Japan though.

Also up on Pilot Mountain at the old ranch and I found some down at Whites Landing this year also. I applaud the effort but boy, would I love to hunt predators on those areas, :icon_frow

jml11
12-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Also up on Pilot Mountain at the old ranch and I found some down at Whites Landing this year also. I applaud the effort but boy, would I love to hunt predators on those areas, :icon_frow

The Pilot Mountain site is the one I was refering to, it's technically the Moldowan FSR by that point...but same difference :mrgreen:

sako7mm
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
Right, had a brain fart again.